Start by marking “The Perfect Shot” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Shot

The Perfect Shot

Someone murdered Brian's girfriend, Amanda. The police think it was her father. Brian isn't so sure. But everyone he knows is telling him to move on, get over it, focus on the present. Focus on basketball. Focus on hitting the perfect shot. Brian hopes that the system will work for Amanda and her father. An innocent man couldn't be wrongly convicted, could he?

But then
Published 2006 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Shot, please sign up.
Tyler Tulloch In my opinion... It is not a very good book. I think the plot is pretty boring until the very end, which still failed to surprise me. The characters…moreIn my opinion... It is not a very good book. I think the plot is pretty boring until the very end, which still failed to surprise me. The characters were ok, but some were just useless and boring. But this is my just my opinion and others may think differently and like this book. So to actually know if you like it, you should read it and find out.(less)
Kevion Alexander yes i liked the book because it was talking about sports and a whole bunch of stuff and one dude get arrested and stuff so yea i liked the it just…moreyes i liked the book because it was talking about sports and a whole bunch of stuff and one dude get arrested and stuff so yea i liked the it just haave a whole bunch of stuff (less)

Start your review of The Perfect Shot
Tyler Tulloch
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was OK. It failed to capture my attention through out the book, and had many unimportant scenes that have no correlation to the story's outcome. The mystery of the book was pretty plain...
I would have given this book a 2.5 star if it were available because it was Ok, but just not as interesting as I would have liked and fails to captures the readers attention.
Might have liked this book better if I played basketball...
Owen McDonnell
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Paxton
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Perfect Shot by Elaine Marie A teenage boy who's best friend was killed, and the main suspect became her father. But he believes he has other evidence of someone else who did it. To me Brian seems very courageous, strong and smart man. An example of Brian being strong is when he went against his father and decided to bail his best friend Julian out of jail."I know you like Julius" he says slowly" but it sounds as if he's really gotten himself into trouble this time. I don't think we should ...more
Deanthony Curry
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book the perfect shot was a good book it just took a long time to really tell what brian did after his girlfriend got killed. This book was much too long the story could have been told in half the length. There was also a point in the book were i forgot what i was reading about because they went kind off the subject. But other than that the book was very good they told deep details when they talked about something or described something.

It was also a book of thoughts in life because u can
Cornmaven
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hs-adult
This was a very intriguing book - lots of excellent basketball scenes that helped tell a story which was part mystery, part identity search, and part commentary on justice. The teenage protagonist must research a real-life murder case from the early 20th century that parallels a murder case ongoing in his life, and he must make a decision about how much of a part he will play in the current one.
Much is said about differences between people and how we make assumptions that shut off acceptance of
Patrick McNally
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was about a high school basketball player who's girlfriend's family was killed (including herself) by an unknown murder. they suspect that the father was the killer but Brian doesnt agree. he has guilt that is building up in his chest because he thinks that he could have saved her from being killed. and on top of all of this tragedy brian has to deal with school work and most of all basketball. i learned from this book that to never let guilt build up on you because it can ruin your ...more
John Arrowsmith
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was a pretty good book. It is one of those books that switches back and forth between past and present so if you like that sort of thing than you should read this. It is about a young boy who is a basketball star. His girlfriend gets murdered and he is torn between the case and his basketball career. Unable to focus on basketball with the thought of the murder on his mind. He attempts to find out who murdered her and her family.
Danielle
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing to myself as I read the previous reviews on this book. Why? They all recommended it for teenage GUYS. Not that that's not probably the case most of the time, us girls like it too! It did switch back and forth between the past and present a bit though, but it's a really great book, especially if you like basketball. Brings up a few good points too.
Abby
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing
Jamie 8-22
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people that like sports and mystries mixed together
I LOVED this book, it is amazing.

Brice Carmicle
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a book I would normally read, I thought The Perfect Shot would mainly be about basketball and students overcoming some type of challenge. And, while all that is true about this book, it had a strong enough message about stereotyping and inequality to make it more than just "basketball," including a student's decision to tell or not tell the truth about a murder.

What I also like about this book is that the students work on different history projects that pertain to injustices of the judicial
Cole
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book I am reading is The Perfect Shot by Elaine Marie Alphin. I chose this book because my favorite genre is sports and this looked like a good fit for me. Also, I like mystery stories and this fell into that category. The author Elaine Marie Alphin is an award winning mystery book writer so that is probably why she wrote this book.

The plot in this book is that Brain’s girlfriend Amanda was killed and how Brian is going to deal with his life after. Brain is very sad about the death even a
Joe Knutson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it was sort of a combination of two of my favorite genres, realistic fiction and mystery. I really liked this book, because even though it was a longer book, it was still very exciting. This book was great because it wasn't just a book about basketball, it involved many other parts of life and also death. The book also talked about the Leo Frank story and how we pick the person that is guilty before we even go over the evidence. It also shows how injustice can be ...more
Kate
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Brian is the hero of this book. A murderer is the antagonist. Brian's family and friends on the basketball team are the main supporting characters. Brian is on the basketball team but he could not focus after what happened to his girlfriend. This book genre is a fictional mystery.
I felt kind of sad reading this book because you got to see what some of these characters are going through. My favorite part of this book was the ending because of how it ended but I cannot tell you because it would
Preston
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my opinion "the perfect shot" by, Elaine Marie Alphin was a good book all around. For the most part, the book kept my attention and left me with questions that were later answered as I continued reading. The main theme is the book is justice and how it should be served. Throughout the book very confusing things happen which eventually is all linked together at the end, which is one thing that really liked about the book. The honest reason I chose this book was because it had to do with ...more
Seth
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was about Brian who is a senior in high school and recently his girlfriend got murdered and they are trying to find out who the killer is. Throughout the book, they think it is their father because there is a lot of evidence against him. Like him sleeping with other women. Also, Brian is doing a school project and it is about a murder and the main suspect got hung. Years later a witness came out and said that it wasn't the guy who got hung. So Brian thinks that he saw something that ...more
Masen Johnson
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recommend people should read this book if they like sporty and history books. Because this book talks about historical events with a some basketball in the mix. This book shows you to prove what is right even if its wrong in some else view. Also this book is a school were the police have more African-Americans in jail and the Brain's best friend Julius is African-American. This is a good historical fiction book that I think people should read.
Owen Bainbridge
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave The Perfect Shot a rating of 3/5 stars. I gave it this rating because it took me awhile to get into the book. There was a lot going on and the plot was clustered. In the beginning it was easier to understand and as the book went on it just kept adding more problems. She should have just let the situation of her getting murder develop by it self instead of adding more problems that didn't all add up.
Kyle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a awesome book because it was mystery. It really mystery because a girl gets murdered and no one knows who killed her. An officer thinks that the girl's father murders his own daughter. It was a good book. My thought about the book, "The Perfect Shot," was really good and I recommend this book to everyone that likes reading.
Kelly
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Too young for me. It felt like it was trying to cover way too much instead of really going into one thing.
Jordan Arnold
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Christine
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific mystery with a basketball background.
Deago
Jan 11, 2016 added it
At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving. (http://www.distraction.gov) Teenage drivers can also be distracted by noises, other drivers, girls in the next car, friends, the radio, what they are mad about or thinking about the stress in their lives. Distractions when you are driving can cause you to drive fast or can cause an accident, or even kill you. Things teenagers have going on at home, ...more
Jonah
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story The Perfect Shot by Elaine Marie Alphin has to be one of the best books I’ve read so far in my lifetime. This book had me hooked from the very beginning. I really enjoyed how Alphin keeps her readers guessing throughout most of the book. The basketball playing, high school characters of the story especially grabbed my attention because of how much I enjoy basketball. The fact that this book was also a mystery was just a plus for me. I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading ...more
Cara
Feb 06, 2013 is currently reading it
When I first picked up the book, The Perfect Shot, by Elaine Marie Alphin, I expected it to be a decent book mainly about basketball, which I don’t care much for. Boy was I wrong! Alphin blew my expectations out of the water with this novel. Not only was it action packed and kept me guessing until the end, I actually enjoyed the basketball part of the book! The Perfect Shot would mainly be for young adult audiences who enjoy sports and crime/thriller books. Now, let’s explore more of the plot.
Katie S
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the novel, The Perfect Shot, by Elaine Marie Alphin, and really enjoyed its mystery. This book is about Brian Hammett, the basketball captain of his team who is supposed to lead them to States. Brian is trying to get justice for his murdered girlfriend, Amanda Daine, her six year old little brother, Cory, and their mother. “I won’t let you down, I promise Amanda” (p 278.) Amanda’s father, former police officer, Michael Daine, has been accused of this murder and been put on trial. ...more
Mallory Hanson
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book because our librarian gave us a Book Talk and this was one of the books. I've always liked sports themed books and mysteries so this grabbed my attention right away. This story takes place in a small town, where Brian is a basketball legend. Brian has many conflicts throughout the book, but the main one is when his best friend and eventually girlfriend gets murdered in her garage along with her mother and younger brother. This is the main conflict because Brian is so in love ...more
Aaron
Nov 02, 2011 added it
"Bullets, Bullets, Bullets Bounce, Bounce Bounce",while reading this book I noticed that its important to pay attention to the small things sometimes. Alphin really cares for doing the right thing. the character in the book, Brian had to make a decision that would affeect someones life. to keep quiet or say something. all in all while trying to make this decision he has to deal with playoffs and a project at school.

Also in another book titled "Snakehead" the character was presented with the
Abdallah
The Perfect Shot is about Brian Hammett, the captain of his basketball team who is supposed to lead them to a State title. Brian's girlfriend, Amanda Daine was murdered and he his trying to get justice. "I won't let you down, I promise Amanda"(278). Amanda's father, Michael Daine, has been accused of this crime and is being put on trial. Many of the people around Brian tell him to move on so he can focus on the basketball team. Brian has his mind off the crime until he gets assigned a project on ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Mighty Miss Malone
  • The Crossover
  • The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game
  • A Night Divided
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • The Day the Crayons Quit
  • Fuzzy Mud
  • Violent Ends
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Just Wreck It All
I was born on 30 October 1955 in San Francisco, California, and attended Lafayette Elementary School in San Francisco. Then my family moved to New York City, where I attended William H. Carr Junior High School. This is a school picture of me from my junior high school days. After that we moved to Houston, and I went to Westchester High School and on to Rice University.