Start by marking “The Perfect Shot” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Shot

The Perfect Shot

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  515 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Someone murdered Brian's girfriend, Amanda. The police think it was her father. Brian isn't so sure. But everyone he knows is telling him to move on, get over it, focus on the present. Focus on basketball. Focus on hitting the perfect shot. Brian hopes that the system will work for Amanda and her father. An innocent man couldn't be wrongly convicted, could he?

But then Bria
Published 2006 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Shot, please sign up.

Tyler Tulloch In my opinion... It is not a very good book. I think the plot is pretty boring until the very end, which still failed to surprise me. The characters…moreIn my opinion... It is not a very good book. I think the plot is pretty boring until the very end, which still failed to surprise me. The characters were ok, but some were just useless and boring. But this is my just my opinion and others may think differently and like this book. So to actually know if you like it, you should read it and find out.(less)
Kevion Alexander yes i liked the book because it was talking about sports and a whole bunch of stuff and one dude get arrested and stuff so yea i liked the it just…moreyes i liked the book because it was talking about sports and a whole bunch of stuff and one dude get arrested and stuff so yea i liked the it just haave a whole bunch of stuff (less)

Tyler Tulloch
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was OK. It failed to capture my attention through out the book, and had many unimportant scenes that have no correlation to the story's outcome. The mystery of the book was pretty plain...
I would have given this book a 2.5 star if it were available because it was Ok, but just not as interesting as I would have liked and fails to captures the readers attention.
Might have liked this book better if I played basketball...
Owen McDonnell
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Paxton
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Perfect Shot by Elaine Marie A teenage boy who's best friend was killed, and the main suspect became her father. But he believes he has other evidence of someone else who did it. To me Brian seems very courageous, strong and smart man. An example of Brian being strong is when he went against his father and decided to bail his best friend Julian out of jail."I know you like Julius" he says slowly" but it sounds as if he's really gotten himself into trouble this time. I don't think we should g ...more
Deanthony Curry
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book the perfect shot was a good book it just took a long time to really tell what brian did after his girlfriend got killed. This book was much too long the story could have been told in half the length. There was also a point in the book were i forgot what i was reading about because they went kind off the subject. But other than that the book was very good they told deep details when they talked about something or described something.

It was also a book of thoughts in life because u can re
Cornmaven
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hs-adult
This was a very intriguing book - lots of excellent basketball scenes that helped tell a story which was part mystery, part identity search, and part commentary on justice. The teenage protagonist must research a real-life murder case from the early 20th century that parallels a murder case ongoing in his life, and he must make a decision about how much of a part he will play in the current one.
Much is said about differences between people and how we make assumptions that shut off acceptance of
Patrick McNally
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was about a high school basketball player who's girlfriend's family was killed (including herself) by an unknown murder. they suspect that the father was the killer but Brian doesnt agree. he has guilt that is building up in his chest because he thinks that he could have saved her from being killed. and on top of all of this tragedy brian has to deal with school work and most of all basketball. i learned from this book that to never let guilt build up on you because it can ruin your li ...more
John Arrowsmith
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It was a pretty good book. It is one of those books that switches back and forth between past and present so if you like that sort of thing than you should read this. It is about a young boy who is a basketball star. His girlfriend gets murdered and he is torn between the case and his basketball career. Unable to focus on basketball with the thought of the murder on his mind. He attempts to find out who murdered her and her family.
Danielle
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing to myself as I read the previous reviews on this book. Why? They all recommended it for teenage GUYS. Not that that's not probably the case most of the time, us girls like it too! It did switch back and forth between the past and present a bit though, but it's a really great book, especially if you like basketball. Brings up a few good points too.
Abby
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing
Jamie 8-22
Sep 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people that like sports and mystries mixed together
I LOVED this book, it is amazing.

Brice Carmicle
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joe Knutson
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it was sort of a combination of two of my favorite genres, realistic fiction and mystery. I really liked this book, because even though it was a longer book, it was still very exciting. This book was great because it wasn't just a book about basketball, it involved many other parts of life and also death. The book also talked about the Leo Frank story and how we pick the person that is guilty before we even go over the evidence. It also shows how injustice can be ...more
Kyle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a awesome book because it was mystery. It really mystery because a girl gets murdered and no one knows who killed her. An officer thinks that the girl's father murders his own daughter. It was a good book. My thought about the book, "The Perfect Shot," was really good and I recommend this book to everyone that likes reading.
Sean
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
it was ok
Christine
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terrific mystery with a basketball background.
Deago
Jan 11, 2016 added it
At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving. (http://www.distraction.gov) Teenage drivers can also be distracted by noises, other drivers, girls in the next car, friends, the radio, what they are mad about or thinking about the stress in their lives. Distractions when you are driving can cause you to drive fast or can cause an accident, or even kill you. Things teenagers have going on at home, f ...more
Jonah
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story The Perfect Shot by Elaine Marie Alphin has to be one of the best books I’ve read so far in my lifetime. This book had me hooked from the very beginning. I really enjoyed how Alphin keeps her readers guessing throughout most of the book. The basketball playing, high school characters of the story especially grabbed my attention because of how much I enjoy basketball. The fact that this book was also a mystery was just a plus for me. I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading ...more
Cara
Feb 06, 2013 is currently reading it
When I first picked up the book, The Perfect Shot, by Elaine Marie Alphin, I expected it to be a decent book mainly about basketball, which I don’t care much for. Boy was I wrong! Alphin blew my expectations out of the water with this novel. Not only was it action packed and kept me guessing until the end, I actually enjoyed the basketball part of the book! The Perfect Shot would mainly be for young adult audiences who enjoy sports and crime/thriller books. Now, let’s explore more of the plot.
T
Katie S
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the novel, The Perfect Shot, by Elaine Marie Alphin, and really enjoyed its mystery. This book is about Brian Hammett, the basketball captain of his team who is supposed to lead them to States. Brian is trying to get justice for his murdered girlfriend, Amanda Daine, her six year old little brother, Cory, and their mother. “I won’t let you down, I promise Amanda” (p 278.) Amanda’s father, former police officer, Michael Daine, has been accused of this murder and been put on trial. Everyon ...more
Mallory Hanson
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book because our librarian gave us a Book Talk and this was one of the books. I've always liked sports themed books and mysteries so this grabbed my attention right away. This story takes place in a small town, where Brian is a basketball legend. Brian has many conflicts throughout the book, but the main one is when his best friend and eventually girlfriend gets murdered in her garage along with her mother and younger brother. This is the main conflict because Brian is so in love w ...more
Aaron
Nov 02, 2011 added it
"Bullets, Bullets, Bullets Bounce, Bounce Bounce",while reading this book I noticed that its important to pay attention to the small things sometimes. Alphin really cares for doing the right thing. the character in the book, Brian had to make a decision that would affeect someones life. to keep quiet or say something. all in all while trying to make this decision he has to deal with playoffs and a project at school.

Also in another book titled "Snakehead" the character was presented with the sam
Abdallah
The Perfect Shot is about Brian Hammett, the captain of his basketball team who is supposed to lead them to a State title. Brian's girlfriend, Amanda Daine was murdered and he his trying to get justice. "I won't let you down, I promise Amanda"(278). Amanda's father, Michael Daine, has been accused of this crime and is being put on trial. Many of the people around Brian tell him to move on so he can focus on the basketball team. Brian has his mind off the crime until he gets assigned a project on ...more
Noah Oxley
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this book, I think the author's purpose was to let people realize that some people can be falsely accused of something they didn't do or something they shouldn't have gotten in trouble for. In this story, Mr Dian is falsely accused of murdering his two children and wife when he was actually innocent. Also another purpose was to show how hard it is to be a lawyer. Even though some people hate them, we need to respect them for their hard work and difficult jobs.

I think the theme of this book is
Clay Mandernach
Based on my opinion of the perfect shot i would rate this book a . I think it was a great story line but i did not like the beginning of the book when brian has been shot, and dying he is also telling the story in a flashback which i did not like. “But time is falling and Amanda can’t hear my because i'm falling again, falling up, leaving her bent over her guitar, going on in the memory without me”(Marie 19). At this point after reading this i had little idea what was going on and the story imme ...more
Griffin Tebrugge
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the author's purpose was to show people can be accused of something and be innocent. In the book, Mr. Dian was accused of killing his family which includes the main character's best friend. One more purpose of the story is to show how hard someone's job can get. Such as the lawyer who proves Mr. Dian is innocent, which took a lot of hard work and dedication.

I believe the theme is to trust yourself. You should do this because Brian who is the main character in the book doesn't trust hims
Tj Long
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author's purpose in writing this book is to expose issues in civil rights and in the judicial system while showing the impact that the death of a friend has on a high school kid. Brian's girlfriend Amanda, her little sister, and her mother were all murdered in their garage and Amanda's father was instantly accused for the murders. Brians friend Julius, who is the star of the basketball team, gets arrested for the crime of "Driving While Black" in a white neighborhood.

I think that one of the
Carter Weiters
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Carter Weiters
May 5, 2016
B-2 English

I think the authors purpose was to show people can be accused of something and be innocent. In the book, Mr.Dian was accused of killing his family which includes the main character's best friend. One more purpose of the story is to show how hard someone's job can get. Such as the lawyer who proves Mr. Dian is innocent, which took a lot of hard work and dedication.

Riley Cyboron
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is on “The Perfect Shot”. The main character is Brian. He is a teenager who’s best friend/girlfriend was murdered. He is in high school and is on a basketball team. I can relate to him because i’m in high school and I play basketball too. The setting is in his neighborhood that is safe most of the time. Also at his high school.

It started with him talking about what happened with Amanda (his girlfriend). Then he goes to school and he has to do a project for his teacher. He gets paire
Jderdena
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very interesting because it showed how keeping balance between things like sports and schoolwork or just sports and life in general is very important. In this book, the main character Brian only focuses on basketball after his girlfriend, her brother, and her mom are murdered. Then when a history project comes up about what we can learn from history he actually tries to do it to be able to stay on the basketball team and during that time he realizes how unfair the justice ...more
Travis
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
  • First Shot
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Black and White
  • Zigzag
  • Over the Wall
  • Fakie
  • Sharing Susan
  • Slot Machine (Elvin, #1)
  • Dark Angel
  • Thumbelina
  • The Stones of Mourning Creek
I was born on 30 October 1955 in San Francisco, California, and attended Lafayette Elementary School in San Francisco. Then my family moved to New York City, where I attended William H. Carr Junior High School. This is a school picture of me from my junior high school days. After that we moved to Houston, and I went to Westchester High School and on to Rice University.
More about Elaine Marie Alphin