Start by marking “It Can't Happen Here” as Want to Read:
It Can't Happen Here

Read Book* *Different edition

It Can't Happen Here

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  8,554 Ratings  ·  1,562 Reviews
It is 1936. America has just elected Berzelius Windrip to the presidency--and his fascist policies turn the U.S. into a totalitarian state.
Mass Market Paperback, 331 pages
Published October 1st 1970 by Signet (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about It Can't Happen Here, please sign up.

Cheryl Chiarello I also got this book based on its "topicality" during the fall 2016 election season, and found the first 10-15% pretty mundane and like I was reading…moreI also got this book based on its "topicality" during the fall 2016 election season, and found the first 10-15% pretty mundane and like I was reading "Life With Father" but I persevered and was so glad I did! It turned into much more and at the ending sentence I bawled my eyes out not bec. of any particular event in the book but bec. of the spirit of the protagonist and those like him, which I think we Americans will need to closely keep in mind these next 4 years, and be EVER vigilant.
Hope you kept reading, Kevin.
(less)
Charlene Mathe There are several Michael Meyer authors that come up on my browser. None linked to the publisher. I think it could be this literature professor:
…more
"Michael Meyer (Ph.D., University of Connecticut) has taught writing and literature courses for more than 30 years — since 1981 at the University of Connecticut and before that at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and the College of William and Mary. His scholarly articles have appeared in distinguished journals such as American Literature, Studies in the American Renaissance, and Virginia Quarterly Review. An internationally recognized authority on Henry David Thoreau, Meyer is a former president of the Thoreau Society and coauthor (with Walter Harding) of The New Thoreau Handbook, a standard reference source. His other books for Bedford/St. Martin's include Poetry: An Introduction (2010), The Compact Bedford Introduction to Literature (2009); and Thinking and Writing about Literature (2001)."
One reason I think so is that the 2014 Penguin edition adds an Afterward by Gary Scharnhorst, another literature professor.(less)

Michael Finocchiaro
A friend of mine that was recently in London told me that all the bookshops there had Roth's The Plot Against America and It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. Alarmist? Perhaps, but as I already said in my review of The Plot Against America, maybe not.

In It Can't Happen Here, rather than Lindbergh tromping FDR as in The Plot Against America, we have a populist Windrip who takes the Democratic nomination in 1936 by storm on a platform promising $5000 to each American citizen and naturally crus
Lilo
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who cares about what happens to our country and our planet
Recommended to Lilo by: my dear GR friend Ted

October 8, 2015:

I am just on page 84 of this book but I cannot wait to write a review. So I will write a preliminary review.

Sinclair Lewis wrote this meanwhile classic satire in 1936. And I am afraid that fictious history might become true, 80 years after this book has been written.

The satiric novel tells about an American presidential candidate who is very belligerent and bombastic. Irony of all irony: Even though he is clearly a fascist, he hitches a ride from the Democratic Party to come to p
Lyn
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Can’t Happen Here is Sinclair Lewis’ political satire and propagandized account of the rise of an American fascist.

Perhaps most compelling is the fact that Lewis wrote the book only a couple of years after Hitler’s rise to power (and 13 years before Orwell’s 1984). Lewis was an astute and keen observer of political power and was a canary in the coal mine for a world that would soon know much grief.

Considering that Lewis published this in 1935, it is eerily uncanny the way his fictitious pre
Rick
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amy Beth, Mark, Katie, Tristan
Shelves: fiction
I have always thought that if fascism ever came to America it would come clothed in red, white, and blue, with patriotic songs, and quotations from founding fathers. It would be nationalistic. It would extol military endeavors and elevate soldiers to the level of heroes. It would handle the race question in subtle yet effective ways. It would join forces with conservative Christian churches and begin to make life hard for anyone else. It would give free reign to the rich, the powerful, and the p ...more
Susan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1935 this novel has had a sudden resurgence due to world events which somehow seem eerily similar. The story tells of the rise of the next President of the United Stated – Berzelius ‘Buzz’ Windrip, mostly through the eyes of small town journalist, Doremus Jessup (there are some very unusual names in this novel!), his family and local community.

Obviously, this novel was written during the time of rising fascism in Europe and the author has cleverly taken those events and the complacen
Julie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis is a 2014 Signet publication.

I’ll give you three guesses as to why this book showed up on my TBR list, and two don’t count.

Originally published way back in 1935, Sinclair Lewis’s novel seemed to transcend time and is a constant reminder what can happen if we are too complacent or too timid to make our voice heard.

There is no need to go over the context of this timeless classic, as it has been analyzed many times over by people far more prolific than myse
Jim
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This extraordinary novel from 1935 predicts with uncanny accuracy the American political situation of 2016, and has authentic and frightening warnings. Sinclair Lewis satirizes with biting humor the potential for America to fall to populist demagogues with nothing to say but what people want to hear, and of the terrible consequences of the people's naïvete. A must read.
David Schaafsma
“The conspicuous fault of the Jeffersonian Party, like the personal fault of Senator Trowbridge, was that it represented integrity and reason, in a year when the electorate hungered for frisky emotions, for the peppery sensations associated, usually, not with monetary systems and taxation rates but with baptism by immersion in the creek, straight whisky, angelic orchestras heard soaring down from the full moon, fear of death when an automobile teeters above a canyon, thirst in a desert and quenc ...more
Bam
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fitting fictional follow-up to the weighty nonfiction book The Origins of Totalitarianism which I've recently read. Written in 1935 in the midst of the Great Depression and the volatile political situation taking place around the world which facilitated the rise of demagogues like Adolph Hitler and Benito Mussolini, Sinclair Lewis asks the question: CAN IT HAPPEN HERE IN AMERICA? And the answer he provides in this book is YES, IT CAN!

Set in Vermont beginning in the year 1936, the main
Jason Koivu
It can. It is.

This book is the Nostradamus of our political past, present and potential future.

Check out GoodReads' stats for It Can't Happen Here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/stats?...

If you're viewing those stats in the future, when the graph no longer covers as far back as 11/8/2016, you will have missed the HUGE spike in activity on this site for this book. Prior to the momentous astounding absolutely fucking unbelievable election of 11/9/2016, interest in this book was hauling in pedest
  • Swastika Night
  • A People's History of American Empire
  • Strike!
  • They Thought They Were Free: The Germans 1933-45
  • The Book
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1930 "for his vigorous and graphic art of description and his ability to create, with wit and humor, new types of characters." His works are known for their insightful and critical views of American capitalism and materialism between the wars. He is also respected for his strong characterizations of modern working women. H.L. Mencken wrote of him, "[If] the ...more
More about Sinclair Lewis...
“Every man is a king so long as he has someone to look down on.” 80 likes