Start by marking “Devil's Mistress” as Want to Read:
Devil's Mistress

Devil's Mistress

HE IS A MAN POSSESSED—BY A WOMAN WHOSE BEAUTY DRIVES MEN TO MADNESS.

If there was ever a devil who could lure and seduce the innocent, Lord Sloan Treveryan is that man. Captain of the Sea Hawk and bound to the king’s business, Treveryan may be a lord but he is no gentleman. Yet even he cannot ignore a lady in distress—or the temptation she provides.

Bewitched by Brianna M
Published July 1st 1986 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Mistress

Start your review of Devil's Mistress
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🎃 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2017 Reading Challenge for the category of: a romance novel with a witch 🎃

I needed a romance about witches for a Halloween reading challenge, and I figured a historical romance novel about the Salem witch trials was close enough. Because we all know that the whole point of these challenges is to skirt the rules as closely as possible, right?

Right.

The premise of this book sounded f
Elis Madison

James II’s Scotland, and the witch hunt is on. Pegeen MacCardle has been taken up by a fanatical witchfinder named Matthews. Brianna, her niece, ignores the advice of friends and neighbors and comes to the town square, where Pegeen is to burn. Brianna's cry of grief grabs Matthews' attention. Stunned by the perfection of her face and form, he cries "witch" yet again.

In mindless grief and terror, Brianna weaves through the streets of her small harbor town until she stumbles into a tavern. A patro
LibraryDanielle
Mar 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2013
oh my freaking god, was brianna annoying as all hell. ok, so shes had a terrible experience seeing her aunt burned as a witch, but really. she acts like an idiot for the. whole. book. any time she thinks something isn't going her way she throws a hissy fit, yelling, screaming, threatening and hitting sloane. (or trying to) not that he's a perfect gentleman, but he's not so glaringly stupid he made me want to throw nook 42 across the room like she did.

Oh, and apparently she's trying to suffocate
Kelli
This one surprised me - there were points when i wanted to bang the heroines head against a wall to try to knock some sence into her head it must be said - but over all I really did like her.

This book has sooo many ups and downs and plot twist It travels across different countries over many years. Its a beautiful story of love - (diffent types of love - all just as beautiful), it travels through European Witch Trials and even The Salem Witch trials which I found very interesting.

I highlt recomme
Amanda
Sep 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I have no idea what first drew me to this book or why I bought it. All I know is that I dread even trying to read it and hate seeing it on my currently reading shelf. I can't say I like anything about it. Not my cup of tea. I created a DNF shelf because of this book. ...more
Carrie Olguin
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
A story about witch hunts and persecution in history, including the Salem witch trials from a fictional point of view.

I would have enjoyed the story if I had liked the heroine. Before using common sense, intelligence or good manners, she'd lose her temper, beat on the hero and thro a hissy fit. She was the only woman in the book who behvaed so irrationally. For example, the hero breaks into jail to rescue her and other men and women acused of witchcraft. While all of the others leave without he
Sarah Mac
There's nothing wrong with this...I'm just not in the mood. I'll return to it later in 2018. :) ...more
Payal
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Good grief with the editing! Please, please don't torture your readers with so many misspellings, grammatical errors, and downright missing words.

The story could have been compelling, though the characters were flat and one-dimensional. There was a bit of heat, sure, being a romance novel. But enough boring details and tedious exchanges of dialogue that it fell rather flat.
Joycee
Goodness! Such a tumultuous story!

It was so exhausting keeping up with Sloan’s and Brianna’s ups & downs! Brianna irked me by being so pig-headed and tunnel-visioned; Sloan - imprisoned by love, I suppose - refused to give up on her.

But, of course, despite how irritated I was by Brianna (and, at times, Sloan too), I just HAD to finish. Always holding out hope that there will be a redeeming scene that makes all the preceding annoyance worth it.

It wasn’t romantic sigh-inducing relief that I felt
AYAN Y.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

This book had everything that I've been looking for in a novel. I love the characters although Brianna was a little annoying. The plot of this book and the story lines was right on point, well describe that I felt I was there. Very realistic. I felt like their reunion was rushed, I mean it took a day for her to fall into his arms after her......sorry no spoiler but any way I personally wouldn't have mind if it was made a little long for them to come together again. Heather Graham this i
Nessa
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF.
THE PROBLEM WITH stories like this, is that the author always make a botch of the heroine, turning her into a virago. Whenever the hero tries to be nice, the heroine well retaliate in the she-devil manner. it was absolutely annoying and only meet the entire story so frustrating to read.

Absolutely do not recommend this bodice ripper novel.
Samantha Carol
Feb 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
They had me in the first half not gonna lie... I love a terrible romance like anyone else but this was was just terrible. They fall in love in one paragraph and its a small case of Stockholm Syndrome with some very questionable forceful rapey tactics. And then we throw witch politics into it for some reason? Very weird. And not very good. Not even in the fun way.
EvilAntie Jan
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read

The setting of the 17th Century Witchcraft trials in both England and in Salem, serve as an amazing background for the epic love story of Sloane and Brianna. Feisty and romantic, the battle that these two rage is epic. This is a classic Heather Graham at her very best. 5 stars is simply not adequate but will have to do for now.
Michelle A
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The twists and turns that caused angst and kept me reading to see how it turned out. It is set in a dark period of history. Heather Graham did an excellent job in giving insight into that time in history and I thank her for including resources to learn more.
Karen
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new light on the persecutions of witches.

So often we Americans have focused on the Salem witch trials, when if fact they were going on in the British isles and Europe. So sad the narrow mindedness of the 17th century.
Elena
It had so much potential. I loved the beginning, but they fell in love too fast. Both guy and girl think to themselves "I love him/her" in their minds a little too quickly.... There was too much unnecessary drama because of the heroine's stupid, unnecessary actions. ...more
Lorena
Nov 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Insufferable heroine and hot albeit "I know better than though" hero that was there solely to rescue her and make her life easy. She didn't do anything but make life hard for him and the people that loved her and rescued her through the years. ...more
Amanda Bright
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely Chick Lit but as that was what I needed at the time I enjoyed it. Something about lazy summer days enjoying the sun in the garden.
Schnee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the backdrop of historical Witch trials.
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting take on historical events, but the characters act unrealistically and kind of like jerks.
Elisa Ramos
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Waste of time

I'm sorry to easy I didn't enjoy this book at all.I kept on reading till the end hoping it would get better,unfortunately it didn't
Patricia
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kari
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfection!

Another amazing book by an amazing author.. The ending was perfect!! I almost wished it didn't end.. Great job Heather graham
Gale
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED the story, felt like the characters became friends and oh how I hated to reach the last page .... I so want to continue on ....
Jo
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed!! Great old fashion romance...
Hannah
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
It was a good one time read but there wasn’t enough action in the story.
Pat aka Tygyr
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brianna MacCardle is a young woman living in the woods with her aunt. Her aunt is arrested and burned to death as a witch. Brianna was there and screamed. Now she is on the list. She runs and finds herself at the waterfront. She runs into a tavern and slips into a booth, not realizing that it is occupied. Sloan - Lord Treveryan and ship's Captain - mistakes her for the whore he was promised. Being polite he offers a meal. She eats heartily. When someone comes in saying there are witch hunters ab ...more
Bespectacledreader
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I like Heather Graham for her work Bride of the Wind so I am interested to read this however as I read, I found out that this is not one of her best work.

The start is quite interesting - with all the witch hunt and the way Brianna and Sloan met. I was also happy that a character such as Matthew was included. Matthew is the embodiment of hypocrisy and lunacy at its finest. It shows that the two traits are considered to be part of politics and religion ever since the world began.

WHY 3 stars and
Jenny Q
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This one started out well, very exciting with Brianna running from witchcraft accusations in Scotland and finding safety and the delicious Sloan onboard his ship. They get hot and heavy right away, but Sloan's keeping something from Brianna. I guessed his secret early on, but it was still a good, angsty plot twist. And then another twist follows soon after and Brianna runs away to America. But then she discovers that Salem, Massachusetts wasn't the wisest place for an accused witch to ...more
Ale
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This book took me back to the period of when witches were forced forward and burned or hung alive by the government. It began in Scotland and a girl was accused of being a witch when she screamed and witnessed her aunt being burned alive.

She met a captain of the Seahawk when she was running for her life. He took her in against her will to save her life.

Brianna was grateful but annoyed when Sloan took her back to his ship and locked her in. Sloan did everything to save her life from a death sen
« previous 1 3 next »

• While Passion Sleeps (Louisiana #8)
  • When We Touch (Graham, #6)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)
  • Forbidden Fire
  • The Patient Nurse
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • Lord of Hawkfell Island (Viking, #2)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #17)
  • Bride of the Wind
  • The Tiger Prince
  • A Heart For The Taking
  • Just Imagine
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham, #1)
  • Petals on the River
  • Lord of Falcon Ridge (Viking, #4)
  • Stolen
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2)
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria

News & Interviews