Start by marking “The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon #5)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  36,768 Ratings  ·  342 Reviews
BOOK 5 OF THE MALLOREON, the worldwide bestselling fantasy series by one of the godfathers of the tradition. Discover the epic stories that inspired generations of fantasy writers - from Raymond Feist's The Riftwar Cycle to George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.

The final choice: darkness or light

The last clue has been found. It will lead Garion and his friends t
Published November 14th 1991 by Bantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeress of Kell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeress of Kell

Simon
Apr 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
By the time I got to the end of this series, I realised David Eddings wasn't for me anymore.
MrsJoseph
*This review contains spoilers for the previous books in the series as well as very light spoilers for this book.

Getting to the end of this series always makes me feel a bit pensive. Of course, since there are 11 books (total) in the Belgariad and the Mallorean, I see another re-read in my near future.

I have to say that I’m starting to think that The Seeress of Kell is my favorite book in this five book series. There’s so many parts that I just get a kick out of.

I love the bromance between Belg
Jane Jago
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right. I'm going to talk about all five books because I have just read them head-to-head so to speak.

First thing to say is I'm a fan of Eddings, and I don't subscribe to the view that there is anything at all wrong with writing stuff that is entertaining. So if you are expecting me to go off on one about how this would be better if it was darker, or how it adds nothing to the sum of human knowledge you are about to be very disappointed.

This is over all an entertaining quintet and I am fond of it
David Sarkies
Aug 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really
Recommended to David by: My auntie
Shelves: fantasy
The final book in the pentology, or so we thought
31 August 2012

Well, I have now come to the end of another pointless series of books that does very little to add to the collection of human literature that is pounding our vision these days. A lot of people do seem to have liked these books and I must admit that when I was a teenager I was one of them, but these days I hope that books like these will end up being confined to the dust bin of history and forgotten like the many other books that hav
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series ( Belgariad universe): 5/5 stars

I started this series when i first bought first series The Belgariad, but it wasn't my favorite series back then.

I knew there was a sequel series, but i didn't rush to buy it (until all copies were almost sold, then i went into panic and bought the sequel as well). Reading the sequel series, The Malloreon, was unique experience.

The books were much longer, with more interesting story, and it was interes
Narilka
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
"It has come at last," Garion's inner companion said unemotionally through the Child of Light's* lips. "It is the instant of the Choice. Choose, Cyradis, lest all be destroyed."

"It has come," another equally unemotional voice spoke through the lips of the Child of Dark*. "It is the instant of the Choice. Choose, Cyradis, lest all be destroyed."

The Seeress of Kell is the fifth and final book in The Malloreon by David Eddings. And quite an end it is! The quest draws to a close as the final riddles
Lel
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in the Malloreon series and the end was definitely reading through the series if the characters have a special place in your heart. As much as I love the characters and the world that the story is set in I can't help but feel a little short changed with this series. It feels very much the same as the Belgariad series, just rehashed. To the point that the characters are commenting that so much that happens in this adventure mirrors the plot in the Belgaraid just with place n ...more
Darth
Sep 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY loved the Belgariad series, and I so looked forward to this follow up series. I had hoped it would be similar but with new story lines, and adventures.

Instead it was a bad rehash of the same story, but with the extra addition of some pretty ludicrous twists, that caused enough discontinuity with the original series, as to make it hardly worth reading.

You always hear about series that were continued in the blind search to squeeze more money out of fans of the original, and usually I thin
Andrew Leon
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to re-visit the characters from The Belgariad and see them in action again; unfortunately, that's the best thing that can be said about the series. It's not that it's bad; it's a completely enjoyable read. However, Eddings fails to move forward with his writing and, instead, gives us what is essentially the same plot from The Belgariad over again. If you've read The Belgariad and loved it, you should certainly read The Mallorean, as well. If you're hoping for something new, though, mo ...more
Alex
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my review of both the Belgariad and the Malloreon. I read both through because I'm a sucker for a series about a long quest. However, it was nearly impossible to ignore the blatant misogyny and racism that permeated each and every book. He goes to needless lengths to make sure all his female characters - even the "strong" ones - are shown to be weak and "feminine" at least once or twice. And don't get me started on his description of non-white ethnicities.

The white male characters are a
Tony Hisgett
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the final book in the Mallorean and I suppose it is a decent conclusion to the whole series. My problem with this book is a lot of it felt like ‘filler’ with the whole story was just being dragged out to make sure there were enough pages to complete the final book.
I suppose it doesn’t help I am not reading this for the first time, but at times it felt almost pointless reading the story because it was all mapped out by the ‘Seers and the Stars’.
There were a few incidents that kept it int
Jonel Boyko
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic ending to a great series. The plot of the entire series comes to a head with shocking clarity. The way that all of the different parts of the story are wrapped up was rewarding. At the same time, the forward progression of the tale and the intricate world building never ceases.

The dynamic between the members of the group is so well defined by this point in the series that I felt as if I were part of it. Each individual has captured a piece of my heart throughout the series yet
Kristina
DONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE.

This series is RIDICULOUSLY misogynist, so don't let your kids read it until they've read The Order of Oddfish first, or maybe The Hunger Games - something where it's a chick kicking solid ass from start to finish.

I'm basically exhausted from being so infuriated, so I might need to reread Anathem or Melusine again, as a palate cleanser.
Sotiris Karaiskos
In the fifth and last book of the series we do not have any particular surprises in relation to what we expect in this genre. Of course, it is through the ordinary something extraordinary can occur, and I think this is what the author does. The book begins in the same way that the previous one ended with our heroes wandering into the war zone trying to find the place of the final confrontation. Then we make a medieval break as knights, joustings and dangerous dragons invade our story. In the thi ...more
Ariana Fae
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I finished the last book in David Eddings’ MALLOREON, I sat back and thought about the five books in the series. I like David Eddings and he one of the first fantasy authors I read growing up. I fell in love with his characters and their interactions with one another. I enjoyed the sense of humor, sarcasm, and wit each of them portrayed. I have fond memories of the BELGARIAD and the MALLOREON and think they are part of the golden age of fantasy, where heroes are good, villains are pure evil a ...more
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
And so it ends, another re-read of this splendid series of books. The hardcovers are once more put away. I will revisit them in another three or four years and once more journey with Garion and his friends on their various adventures.

Everyone is familiar with the concept of comfort foods. I think these are on the list of my comfort books. Comfort foods make us feel happy and are almost always associated with joyful memories. So too with these books.

The final third of this novel deal with wrappin
Mark Austin
With Lord of the Rings under my belt, I was hungry for more of this 'fantasy' thing I'd discovered. Enter the Belgariad. I consumed the two five-book series in a few months, getting in trouble in school for reading when I should have been paying attention (I either didn't care or had already done the homework for whatever it was they were teaching while they were teaching how to do it).

When complete, I read the whole series again in half the time. Then again in half that. The half-lives continue
Nate
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A fun conclusion to a series that I've read over and over again. However, I have one specific problem with this book, which will be in Spoiler tags:

(view spoiler)
Mollie Clarke
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, what to say about the final book?! Reading this series has opened me up to a whole new thinking of fantasy, I liked it before hand but not now I just love reading it! A lot happens in this book and none of it is boring. You will be gripped when reading this book and will both want to continue reading and not read it at the same time. I found myself struggling between needing to know what would happen and not wanting to finish it too quickly. When I did finish, I felt very empty, I hadn't re ...more
Sam
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
This is the fifth and final in the Malloreon series and finds all the separate threads being brought together in an intense and epic finale that is worthy of the series as a whole. Every character faces their own challenges with Garion is deceived into wasting precious time following red herrings set by Naradas and Cyradis having to face the choice between Light and Dark without the aid of her trusted Toth, risking everything in the process. Once again Eddings grips us with his characters and ev ...more
 ☆Ruth☆
A very satisfying if somewhat predictable ending to this mammoth double epic. I particularly liked the fact that we aren't left wondering what happened to all the characters but are treated to a couple of chapters tying up loose ends and giving us an overview of how their lives continue on, after the final cataclysmic episode.
Amanda
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series became a proper slog towards the end, with plotholes you could drive a bus through and a repetitive nature with the first series that was hand-waved away airily by the authors through some tenuous discussions between their characters. Glad I'm done, to be honest. Nostalgia is the only thing not reducing this to a two star read.
Rosa Chacón García
El mejor de la saga y con diferencia. Qué pena me ha dado terminarla. Como ya dije estos personajes se van a quedar siempre en mi corazón. No será la mejor saga, no brilla el trasfondo psicológico de los personajes, y en algunos casos la trama es muy previsible. Aún así esta saga tiene un algo especial se la recomiendo a todo el mundo.
Murat Kahveci
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beş kitaplık serinin sonuncusu. Kitabın sonunu tahmin etmektense bolca iyi işlenmiş karakterlerin ne yapacağını sonrasında neler olacağını merak ediyorsunuz. Gayet güzel bir son.
Gareth Otton
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a review for the series as a whole and not just for this book.

There are a lot of negatives to the Malloreon, it is long winded, often slow and very repetitive, but I feel that the positives of this series are more significant.

In the Malloreon, David Eddings nicely rounds off what he started in the Belgariad. It was often very philosophical and at times a bit too wordy but at the end you cant help but grin as these characters you have come to love over the previous ten books get their h
Gimena Reche
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro de fantasía que me encantó, me pareció muy entretenido. La vidente de Kell es un libro (en este caso dos volúmenes) que integran la serie Crónicas de Mallorea. Yo los encontré muy baratos en una librería y me los traje. La verdad que al leerlos no supe si había algo antes o después de estos dos libros, me imaginé que sí pero la verdad que la historia es bastante clara si uno no sabe que es parte de una saga y lee las historias por separado.
Esta info la saqué de wikipedia y aclara todo:
Emily G
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have decided that the problem with the Mallorean is that it is too long. Three books would have been perfect rather than five, because ultimately the series is virtually the same as the Belgariad, but with the added bonus of trying to rescue Garion's son and the drawback that half the characters that you loved in the first series barely feature.

What I liked most about this last book is that the meeting between the Children of Light and Dark wraps up fairly quickly, leaving ample time to find o
Dark-Draco
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the final book, everything comes together in the final showdown between light and dark. After journeying through Mallorea, Garion and his companions end up posing as knights, kidnapping Zaketh and finding a long lost relative. Finally, they end up at the Place Which Is No More and Garion, Zandramas and Cyradris have to make their choices, decisions that will change the universe forever.

As usual, a great, fast paced story, with a good sense of humour and excellent characters. Yes, the actual a
Jeffrey
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eddings fans
Shelves: fantasy
the problem for me with this series is number 1 its practically a retelling of the Belgariad, #2 practically every character is the same, #3, I think the middle three books are just a bunch of chatter for chatter sake b/c Eddings is very good at dialogue and characters ad we love the characters but these would have been a whole lot better if the series was 3 books than 5. There is just too little plot advancement in the middle frew books.
Megan
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-eddings
The Nerd Herd: The Seeress of Kell 1 5 Feb 22, 2014 01:57PM
  • The Seventh Gate (The Death Gate Cycle, #7)
  • The Dragon Token (Dragon Star, #2)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • The Harrowing of Gwynedd (The Heirs of Saint Camber #1)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • Winds of Change (Valdemar: Mage Winds, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
“Consistency is the defense of a small mind” 101 likes
“It's one of the advantages of being a woman. I get to do all sorts of unfair things, and you have to accept them because you're too polite not to.
--Polgara”