Start by marking “Infoquake (Jump 225 , #1)” as Want to Read:
Infoquake (Jump 225 , #1)

Infoquake (Jump 225 #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,330 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
How far should you go to make a profit?

Infoquake, the debut novel by David Louis Edelman, takes speculative fiction into alien territory: the corporate boardroom of the far future. It's a stunning trip through the trenches of a technological war fought with product demos, press releases, and sales pitches.

Natch is a master of bio/logics, the programming of the human body.
Published July 5th 2006 by Pyr (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Infoquake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infoquake

Daniel Roy
Sep 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Bleh. And this one had so much promise. The setting is fantastic: it's a futuristic world of cutthroat corporations, and there are some sort of nano-machines in everyone's blood that allows them to run programs on their very body. It's like a software version of cyberpunk augmentations. And there's Primo's, kind of like a futuristic app store, and there's Natch, a rebel CEO who hungers for the top spot.

Sounds pretty great, right? Unfortunately, this book is the poster child for novels not living
Jason Pettus
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
(Much longer full review can be found at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

Regular readers of the CCLaP website know that I am a fan of science-fiction; and when it comes to what I like most about the genre, I have to admit that for me it mostly boils down to the concepts, to the grand ideas on display versus the author's writing style or other technical issues. And this of course is something else that regular readers already know, that I see the actual mechan
Eoghann Irving
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A remarkable work of future world building. The biotech is very convincing as is the future history that Edelman has constructed. The world may in fact be the most complex and compelling character in the book.

It's surprisingly engrossing for a novel in which (when you boil it down) relatively few things actually happen. I spent most of the time waiting for the inevitable revelation of what was really going on and I had to keep reading to find out.

Hard to avoid the feeling that the whole thing is
Chris
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Infoquake has a few interesting ideas - "fiefcorps" as the future of entrepreneurial ventures, "bio/logics" software paired up with nanotech to help people modify or amplify their bodily functions, vestigial government entities reduced to marketing their sign-on promotions and benefits packages to attract clientele. The majority of the novel seems to be a rather long read with little actual content, however.

The main character is the largest problem for the author, as he tries to portray some so
Chris Wilson
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you like the writings of William Gibson or Neal Stephenson, don't overlook this book! Edelman's vision of the future is so complex and rewarding that you'll feel instantly immersed.

As this is book one in a trilogy, there is not much in the way of a grand resolution at the end. But since all three books are out now, that's not much of an issue. You really need to read all three, and by the end of this book, you'll certainly want to! Multireal and Geosynchron flesh out Edelman's world in even g
Iosephus
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Infoquake is set in a future where the human body is entirely programmable. Everyone has nanomachines in their bodies, and the market for human programs (called bio/logic in the novel) is immensely profitable. The story centers around Natch and his plot to take his nascent bio/logic corporation to the top of the big leagues.

Sadly, the author's narration is extremely inconsistent. Events and organizations are mentioned without much explanation, as if those reading were a part of the world, but th
Jakub
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Interesting and complex world, great protagonist (though an arrogant bastard) and a bit too much of 'first tome' syndrome. That's Infoquake in a nutshell. The pace is pretty slow (plus a lengthy retrospective) but there is enough happening too keep one interested. Definitely waiting for part two.
Peter
Nov 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Infoquake tells the story of a ruthless businessman in the far future and his attempt to do a product launch for a new technology that's going to change the world.

That about describes everything that matters, which doesn't matter a lot to me. I should note here that I'm not spoiling any specific bits that I feel it's worth hiding the review over, but I will be talking generally about how some plot elements crop up and, in my opinion, don't get payoff.

I'm not going to say that this is a bad book
Lit Bug

I had a hard time deciding what I feel about this book. Giving a conservative 3.5 stars, despite liking the novel overall.

I just love this work immensely for proving them all wrong - NO, CYBERPUNK ISN'T DEAD! This is the closest any modern novel has ever come to cyberpunk. It not only employs most standard cyberpunk tropes – that of a loner, alienated white male, a low-brow making it big with his virtual skills against the giant mega-corporations - but truly surpasses the outdated genre
Marta
David Louis Edelman, programista z Kalifornii, zadebiutował w 2008 roku powieścią „Infoszok”, pierwszą częścią trylogii „Skok 225”. Nie jest to książka ani do końca dobra, ani też całkowicie kiepska; z potencjałem i kilkoma ciekawie zarysowanymi koncepcjami, a zarazem niewystarczająco doszlifowana i naznaczona piętnem zarówno tomu otwierającego cykl, jak i pierwszego dokonania literackiego autora.

Zaczyna się całkiem obiecująco, najmocniejszymi punktami, jakie oferuje czytelnikom proza Edelmana.
James Williams
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book a couple of years ago (I think I got it roughly after the paperback dropped) and have been intending to read the other two books in the Jump 225 trilogy since then, but I never got around to it. There have always been other books on my stack.

Then, a few weeks ago, I finished Stephen Baxter's Time (or is it Manifold: Time? I'm honestly not too clear l on it) which reminded me a lot of Infoquake. So I wanted to read the rest of that series. But first, I needed to re-familiarize m
Wendy
Oct 31, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2008-reads
I just finished Infoquake and am trying to decide how I feel about it. On the one hand, it has a very unique worldview, which is what got me interested in the first place. The book is set in a futuristic world where programmers work on code for tiny, ability-enhancing machines inside the human body. The book is filled with a ton of other ideas which were often PKD-like in their presentation - mentioned with limited explanation, very interesting in their own right, yet relegated to lesser importa ...more
Liam
I'm a big fan of cyberpunk as a genre and as a general concept; some of my favourite books, video games and media in general have been set in cyberpunk worlds, often dystopian. Typically, they revolve around cyber-warfare, oppression and incredible technology.

The world of Infoquake is interesting in that it while it definitely includes the latter of those three, it isn't dystopian. Well it is, slightly, but the distinction is that the novel isn't based on that at all. It's more a general thing t
Enzo
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a true to the genre SciFi novel "Infoquake" definitely delivers. David Louis Edelman creates a future universe that is incredibly interesting. Lots of promise on all the fronts. He even delivers history regarding the advancements of Humankind. Biologics is terrible interesting and just how everyone deals with their issues. The characters are rich and interesting. Natch from infancy to being a Fief-Corps Master is a great read. It gives you a great foundation for the future ...more
Ryun
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Movie money is creating a dark place in the science fiction publishing world. While this cash allows writers to quit their day jobs and write full time, it has also inspired a terrible rash of “cinematic” science fiction that isn’t really science fiction at all. Pyr Books has emerged as the antidote to this sickness, and the latest example of this is David Louis Edelman’s INFOQUAKE.

INFOQUAKE is a triumph of speculation. Edelman has foreseen a nanotech future of warring corporations and stock mar
Tamahome
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: worldbuilding hounds, business minded

It's ok. I was ready to have my mind f'd by the MultiReal, but that's been put off for the next book. The ending of the book is 2 dudes chatting in a room. It's kind of a 'business thriller'. The highlight was looking up a word in the glossary, and discovering a cool feature of the world.

worldbuilding: 9
plot: 3
characters: 7

penalties:
introspection: -5
flashback: -5
Milele
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a little blatant in its presentation of cool ideas and cool scenarios, like the description of how programmers manipulate 3D programs with their control bars, or how government might run if taken over by political action groups. Some plot ends aren't entirely tied up. But if you can enjoy the ideas as loosely tied together by a wild plot, then it's a fun read.
Agnieszka T.
Bardzo mi się podoba ten początek trylogii. Tylko dlaczego Fabryka Słów nie raczyła jej skończyć???
Tavis
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
"It was ok" and yet I immediately started reading part two...
Yvonne
Jul 18, 2008 added it
I can't give this book a rating, since I didn't finish it. I had no interest in the characters.
Michael
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing book! I'm especially glad I ordered the next two books before finishing this one as its ending is absurdly abrupt and inconclusive beyond belief! Seriously, you better just get the next book!
Also, I noticed there was a lot of appendices in the back. I read the timeline and skimmed the glossary before reading the book but I kind of wish I had read the technology parts. I don't know why I didn't! I would definitely recommend doing so!
Although, I really didn't mind having to glean deeper
Ben Babcock
Imagine, if you will, that your body was home to thousands of nanotechnological devices. These devices are the hardware platform for software that controls anything from your heartbeat to your eye colour—the miraculous field known as bio/logics. With the right programming, you can enhance your senses, expand your memory, or cripple your body.

What if Apple decided which bio/logics programs you could run in your body?

That's the question I couldn't get out of my mind as I read Infoquake. David Loui
Keizen Li Qian
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Such wasted potential in the writing, characters, and story. Reads like it was edited by letting kids smash the plotline out of a pinata. Characters were unrelatable and we never get to know any one of them. Random deus ex machina cut off plotlines just as things get interesting. What's with the careless sprinkling of Asian language and culture? Did anyone involved with this publication even try to find out what a bodhisattva is?

I would read short stories by Edelman, or another book with a bett
Robert
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a little put off by some of the too-Jar-Jar-Binksian names, but it gets better as you read it.
Paul Weimer
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bursting with ideas, set in an undefined medium term science fiction future, in some ways, Infoquake, a first novel by David Louis Edelman, is very much in the classic mode of science fiction. It also has strong elements of the corporate thriller, post-cyberpunk and even post-failed-singularity science fiction.

Oh, and it all takes in a hypercapitalist future.

Some several hundred years after some very bad history for humanity, the world of Infoquake is at once very familiar, with its undeniably
Tagra
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
I'm going to abandon this one, which is unfortunate because I was excited about the premise. It's a sci-fi setting with a corporate board room twist which is unique enough that I really wanted to see it play out.

It starts off feeling a lot like Neal Stephenson which was a very good sign. There isn't a lot of over-explanation of concepts which was another very good sign. You're dumped into the world and the characters react to the world and its unique concepts as if it's completely normal, which
Nigel
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
There’s nothing like a slick, smart, well-written science fiction thriller to set the mind buzzing and racing with strange new ideas and brilliant, imaginative, logical leaps into the future. The reader is plunged into a world that is utterly strange and yet oddly familiar, as the old human passions and drives and desires play their old games in this future funhouse.

The future funhouse of Infoquake, gives us a world where technology is literally built into people, turning them into walking iP
Paul
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place many years after the collapse of civilization. A group of sentient computers called the Autonomous Minds rebelled against mankind in the Autonomous Revolt. Now, Earth is dominated by bio/logics, the science of programming the human body.

The programs have names like Eyemorph 1.0, DeMirage 24.5, Poker Face 83.4b and AntiSleepStim 124.7. The average person has thousands of such programs in their bodies, courtesy of microscopic robots placed at or before birth. Natch is a maste
Army of Penguins
Jun 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I liked this book. No hate, but also no love.

The good: Impressive worldbuilding! The author clearly did a lot of work coming up with the history of this future society, and the tech feels believable most of the time.

The bad: The protagonist. At best, I can't relate to him and don't care about his fate. At worst, I want to punch him in the face. The secondary characters are more likable, but they unfortunately don't get a chance to really develop next to the jerk/idiot who is our protagonist.

The
Tensy MB
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is an unusual science fiction book that reads more like a Wall Street memoir. Very detailed world that describes a post-apocalyptic future where bio/logics programs run our bodies. Interesting characters which are multi-dimensional and flawed, yet you keep rooting for them to succeed. The plot resonates with issues we are now confronting about uncontrolled greed in business, politics and unchecked technological advances, and what this means for humanity as a whole. This book was written in ...more
  • Mirrored Heavens (Autumn Rain #1)
  • Counting Heads (Counting Heads, #1)
  • This is Not a Game
  • Omnitopia: Dawn (Omnitopia, #1)
  • The Quiet War (The Quiet War #1)
  • The Terminal State (Avery Cates, #4)
  • Postsingular
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • Dervish is Digital (Artificial Reality Division, #2)
  • The Execution Channel
  • Yarn
  • Brasyl
  • Ex-KOP (Juno Mozambe Mystery #2)
  • City Without End (Entire and the Rose, #3)
  • Spin Control (Spin Trilogy, #2)
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
  • Radio Freefall
David Louis Edelman's first novel Infoquake was called "the love child of Donald Trump and Vernor Vinge" by Barnes & Noble Explorations and later named their Top SF Novel of 2006. Infoquake was also nominated for the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel, and he has been nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 2008.

His second novel, MultiReal (the sequel to Inf
More about David Louis Edelman...

Jump 225 (3 books)
  • MultiReal (Jump 225, #2)
  • Geosynchron (Jump 225, #3)