Start by marking “Black Order” as Want to Read:
Black Order

Black Order (Sigma Force #3)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  25,199 Ratings  ·  889 Reviews
In Copenhagen . . .

a suspicious bookstore fire propels Commander Gray Pierce on a relentless hunt across four continents—and into a terrifying mystery sur-rounding horrific experiments once performed in a now-abandoned laboratory buried in a hollowed-out mountain in Poland.

In the mountains of Nepal . . .

in a remote monastery, Buddhist monks inexplicably turn to canniba
Published April 26th 2011 by Harpercollins (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Black Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Order

Stephen
4.0 stars. Having just finished book three of the Sigma Force series, I can certainly say I am a fan. I love the premise which is basically special forces agents with PhDs in multiple sciences working for a secret arm of DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) hunting down rogue technology and terrorists. Great action, smart, slick plots and a bunch of real "good guy" characters. Certainly the literary equivalent of junk food but it really tastes good.
TheLoneTiger
Jul 22, 2017 TheLoneTiger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Created or evolved.....what do you believe???

Once again another wonderful and thought provoking read from this book series. After an intriguing intro the book follows three seperate story threads that ultimately clash at the end in usual spectacular style. This time the theme is life or rather how we attained life. Were we created from the image of a higher power or did we evolve over many millions of years?? Obviously still a debatable issue to this day...!

The globe trotting aspects again were
Pam (E.P. Scott)

Black Order is exciting, engaging and educational (don’t let the ‘educational’ scare you – it was beautifully orchestrated and will be unforgettable).

The short:
Black Order takes the reader on a wild adventure from the Himalayas to South Africa, Copenhagen, Germany and Washington. With Nazi Germany, eugenics, evolution, Darwin and God, Rollins tells the tale of mysterious illnesses, dark secrets, the perfect race, a madman’s agenda for a new order and a glimpse into what make us…us.

The Long (bu
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Jul 04, 2017 Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan) rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction-lit
In Black Order written by James Rollins, which is book number three of the Sigma Force series, our group returns to investigate a mysterious plague-like disease that is sweeping it’s way across the villages and temples surrounding Mount Everest. The disease also causes some very intense episodes of psychotic behaviour that cause the infected to murder relentlessly. Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, a powerful piece of Nazi technology is discovered, and one of the world’s wealthiest famil ...more
Jean
Jan 05, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"The truth is too beautiful to die and too monstrous to set free."

It sounded like a melodramatic statement on the part of a doomed Nazi scientist at first, but when I actually got to the ending of the book... I felt that these words, repeated throughout the second half of the book, were truly appropriate for the conclusion of the book.

Black Order felt a little different than Rollins' other books. It seemed a little less frantic, but also a little less coherent; I attribute this to the fact that
Freda Malone
Feb 24, 2013 Freda Malone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Himalayas - Everest Base Camp

Dr. Lisa Cummings has been requested to accompany a senior monk to a nearby monastery. Painter Crowe, Director of DARPA, has been assigned there to investigate a strange affliction. He is then afflicted himself. Dr. Cummings finds a gruesome scene and death. Among the dead, an elder monk has written rune like writing on the wall with his own blood, behaving quite mad before slashing his own throat. As the bombs erupt around the mountain, Lisa Cummings and Painter Cr
Jacquelyn
Apr 17, 2012 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curse you James Rollins! You kept me up until nearly two a.m. on a school night because I had to finish this book.

As with any author, Mr. Rollins has a distinctive style of writing, that leads me to know somewhat how the story will unfold. Because of this, I can only read one of his books every couple of months. Here's what I like about Mr. Rollins's books:
1. They fit directly into their genre
2. No One is precious (if you read him, I think you'll understand this a bit more)
3. The characters are
Yelania Nightwalker

Datos históricos verídicos:

En los últimos meses de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, con la caída de Alemania; británicos, americanos, rusos y franceses se dedicaron a saquear la tecnología de los científicos nazis. Muchos científicos fueron asesinados, otros reclutados por Estados Unidos, laboratorios destruidos, proyectos ocultados con triple chapa ;) todo con tal de evitar que el conocimiento que ellos habían conseguido, fuese robado por otras naciones. Uno de esos proyectos de investigación te

Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I guess I'll never be a Rollins fan. I feel a bit bad about this as I have friends here who really like his work. bear that in mind and realize that my review is subjective...it's how I liked the book.

This one is better (imo) than the other I read by Mr. Rollins (The Judas Strain), but still it lost me. I mean you'd think a book with Nazi scientists, mutant horrors, a chemical/biological threat, daring rescues, harrowing escapes, action...and an/the answer to the ultimate evolutionary ques
Aaron
Director Painter Crowe and Commander Gray Pierce (along with a few other Sigma Force colleagues) again plunge into action and adventure to save the world from some scary super-science. This time around, the focus is on an intriguing concept which combines quantum mechanics and evolution and the efforts of a secretive dark group with roots in the Nazis - a "Black Order", if you will - to both use it to create a master race and to weaponize it and "devolve" their enemies. Romps through the Himalay ...more
Chris
Feb 14, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sigma-force
The best Sigma Force novel by far (I've also read no. 5). I always learn so much about Science, Technology and History whenever I read a a Rollins that my head spins! However, the science behind this novel is fascinating, for some they may find it a little hard to grasp, but his characters always explain it so well. The evolutionary bits were amazing, and I find evolution so boring at school - not any more thanks to Physics!

As for the history - there was clearly more to the Nazis than I thought.
Angela
Sep 21, 2008 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Guess it just wasnt my style. The dialog was predictable, trite, and read like a script to a mediocre summer action movie. It didnt give enough credit to the readers, since instead of developing plot and story through understandable events and reactions, the characters stated obvious or unasked-for details to each other. Couldnt get into it.
On the plus side, it talked a little about some ideas about evolution and intelligent design in a somewhat creative way, but even this was washed out by laz
Mike French
May 19, 2015 Mike French rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me up late two nights. That is why I gave it 4 stars.A wild roller coaster ride in Denmark,Nepal and South Africa! Non-stop action from start to finish.
Arif Zaman
পরকাশকঃ রোদেলা
পৃষঠাঃ ৪০০
পরকাশকালঃ ০৪-আগসট'২০১৬
মূলযঃ ৩০০ টাকা [মুদরিত মূলয ৪৬০ টাকা]
কাহিনি সংকষেপ: বলযাক অরডার পাঠকদের দারুন একটা অযাডভেঞচারে টেনে নিযে যাবে। আপনি ঘুরতে পারবেন নেপালের হিমালয থেকে দকষিণ আফরিকা, কোপেনহেগেন, জারমানি এবং ওযাশিংটন অবদি। সাথে আছে নাৎসি জারমানি, বিবরতন, ডারউইনের। রোলিনস আমাদের গলপ বলেনঃ যেখানে আছে রহসযময রোগ, ডারক সিকরেটস, নিখুঁত পরজাতি। হেনরিক হিমলার নামক একজন উনমাদের খেযালবশত মানব-জাতিকে নতুনভাবে সাজানোর পরিকলপনা
Angela
Dec 21, 2008 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I picked up James Rollins' Black Order on another impulse buy, half-certain that it was going to suck after I'd gotten burned on my last attempt to impulse-buy a thriller. This time around I didn't get a spectacular read, but it turned out to be not half-bad. I did have the disadvantage of coming in partway into a series, which meant several character relationships had been established before the start of this particular story... but it didn't hinder the telling of this one too much.

Turns out th
Sanjida Alam
Aug 15, 2016 Sanjida Alam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ভালোবাসা বলে কিছু আছে, অথবা নেই।
কোয়ানটাম তততব সঠিক, অথবা সঠিক নয়।
(দুইটাই কিনতু কোয়ানটাম তততব!)

আমার তো মনে হয় রোলিনস সাহেব নিজেই Sonnekonige! এমন এমন জটিল পলট আর টুইসট কিভাবে আসে উনার মাথায়!
কি নেই বলযাক অরডারে? কোযানটাম থিওরি, ডারউইনের বিবরতনবাদ, জেনেটিক বিদযা, ইনটেলিজেনট ডিজাইন, পরাকৃতিক বিবরতন আর.... আর চেতনা, ভাবনা, পরারথনা! ;)

শুরুতে আসতে ধীরে পড়লেও, আপনাকে যথেষট মনোযোগ দিতে হবে এই বইতে। এক সাথে দুই দেশ আর এভারেসটে ঘুরতে হলে মনোযোগ আবশযক! গরে, পেইনটার আবার ঐদিকে খামিশি- এই পাশে একজন রেসট নিলে
Nazmus Sakib

aryan mithology
logic and thrill
1st sing of life to perfection of life
love & reality

all this facts give this book a solid ground. the science behind this novel is fascinating. but his characters always explain it nicely.

i am a great fan of sigma force novel. i started with Map of Bones. i wont say this book is the best but i can definitely say this is a very thrilling novel and worth a shot.

"The truth is too beautiful to die and
Kazi
Mar 11, 2016 Kazi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
বিবরতন,ইনটেলিজেনট ডিজাইন,কোয়ানটাম মেকানিকস,নাৎসি আর নিও নাৎসিদের গবেষণা- বইটা বেশ ইনটারেসটিং।বিজঞানের পরচুর রেফারেনস ছিল,কিছু কিছু গাঁজাখুরি হলেও কিছু কিছু বেশ চিনতাউদরেককারী।সব মিলিয়ে বইটা সুনদর,গতিময়।সিগমা ফোরস ৪ নামবারটা খুব দরুতই শুরু করে দেব! ...more
Meika
Dec 30, 2009 Meika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally compare all secret-society/illuminati/techno-conspiracy novels against Foucault's Pendulum, and against Da Vinci Code. DVC is a 1, FP is a 5.
The characters started out like the usual stock characters... black ops guy, hawt female doc doing research, German engineers with Nazi allegiances... etc ad yawn. But then there was some actual character development! I mean, more than I hoped for from a mass market techno-thriller. They're developed along fairly predictable dimensions (the cha
Vivone Os
Apr 09, 2017 Vivone Os rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Volim Rollinsove knjige, pročitala sam sve 4 prevedene kod nas i sad nastavila čitati ostale.
Ova je treći nastavak serijala Sigma Force.
Zanimljiva je, napeta, radnja je brza, likovi nisu plošni i dosadni.
Stephen Mettee
500 pages, should be 300 pages. Wow was I looking forward to finishing this. One of my favorite parts is where a character needs to restart a shield that is dropping over a doomsday machine and discovers the complex mechanism has blown a fuse. He finds a fuse and all is won. Really? A fuse?
James Rollins, where was your editor?
Abigail Patrick
This book was good, a bit weird and far-fetched, but good.

My favourite thing about the book was that when a character spoke in German or Dutch, the author wrote out the German and the Dutch (with a translation or a paraphrase afterwards). It was a comforting sign that I understood all of the German and it was fun testing my Dutch skills (they're weak, in case you're wondering).

I was originally a bit annoyed that the book was about Germans and about the Nazis because the only reason Germans eve
Riju Ganguly
Jan 11, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really unputdownable read, which I had to put down on several occasions just to savour the suspense, and to relish the last dash to run through the final third of the book (I’m afraid that, like the nasties of these books, I have also started enjoying the “hunt”). I would like to describe this one as not only a great book with characters that would compel the reader to return to the ‘Sigma Force’, but also as a thriller that deals with enough scientific theories to force even class-bu ...more
Jupiter9 Schmitz
Jul 25, 2007 Jupiter9 Schmitz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A basic potboiler.

The kind where every sentence is a new paragraph.

Because it fills up the pages. And sounds emphatic.

But it's supposed to involve Nazis, science and "quantum mechanics." I can't wait to see how they do it.

Updated to say I don't even remember if I finished the book.
Magiccats
Feb 03, 2014 Magiccats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. One of the best mystery, action adventure novels I have read. The author pulled me in with his mystery of the Bell and the quantum theory behind the experiments. The characters were genuine with all their strengths and weaknesses. Just a thoroughly enjoyable book.
Janey
Jul 19, 2011 Janey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book and the 3 different story arcs set in South Africa, Denmark and the Himalayas and how it all came together at the end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Alexander Draganov
Awesome book. Action-packed and with great ideas.
Jordon Greene
Feb 03, 2017 Jordon Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, another great Sigma Force novel!
N Mursidi

Pengarang : James Rollins
Penerbit : Dastanbook, Jakarta
Cetakan : Pertama, Nov 2007
Tebal buku : 668 halaman

KEKALAHAN Jerman pada Perang Dunia II, ternyata tak menjadikan sekutu menyia-nyiakan warisan berharga Nazi seperti tanah, sumber daya, riset bahkan telnologi Jerman untuk dijarah. Tak salah, jika Inggris, Amerika, Prancis dan Rusia bersaing memperebutkan "warisan" tersebut. Meski sejumlah p
What order? 2 34 Aug 17, 2013 05:31PM
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • The Paris Vendetta (Cotton Malone, #5)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones, #7)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
James Rollins is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers that have been translated into more than forty languages. Known for unveiling unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets, Rollins has a knack for breakneck pacing and stunning originality that has been hailed by critics and embraced by millions of readers around the world.
More about James Rollins...

Sigma Force (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
  • The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Eye of God (Sigma Force #9)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
  • The Bone Labyrinth (Sigma Force, #11)

“Often-times it's madness, not genius that moves the world forward. Who else but the mad would reach so far, stretching for the impossible and, in so doing, prove the impossible possible!” 61 likes
“Wringin' your hands only stops you from rollin' up your sleeves.” 20 likes