Start by marking “The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)

The Disciple

(Damen Brook #2)

DI Brook thought the nightmare was over- but the Reaper has left behind a horrifying legacy…

A nail-shredding thriller for fans of Stuart MacBride and Thomas Harris.

Published August 19th 2010 by Avon (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Disciple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disciple

Start your review of The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)
Miriam Smith
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The Disciple" by the excellent author Steven Dunne is the second in the DI Damen Brook series and my first foray into them. It is the anticipated sequel to "The Reaper" and although can be read as a standalone, since all background information is explained in chapter four, I imagine you'd get maximum enjoyment from reading both books in order.
The story kicks off brilliantly with a cold blooded murder, just what I like in a crime book and although has distressing subject matter regarding some
Christine
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Disciple must be read immediately after The Reaper to get the full wonderful impact. Our villainous Reaper is back. Oh yes! This feels like part two of The Reaper, rather than a sequel. It is simply AMAZING.

The story is set in Brighton, Derby and in the USA. A body is found on Brighton beach, connected to the Damen Brook. This brings the police up north, to investigate Damen.

In Derby, the Reaper has returned bringing death to those undeserving and damaging society. The Reaper is a very
Tracy Fenton
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Steven's first book a few months ago and thought it was great and then carried on trying to catch up with my ever expanding TBR list. After a gentle and subtle prompt for Mr Dunne I started The Disciple book 2 a few days ago. This is IMHO absolutely brilliant with an edge of your seat gripping storyline that just got better and better. Well done Sir Steven and I will definitely read the next book very very soon.
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I would like to thank the author for allowing me to read such a riveting book and all the other readers who've said he's 1 to watch.

It took me a while as I am in the middle of moving house, but I grabbed it with both hands when I got the chance. I thought I knew who the killer was as it was obvious as you read the book. It took some good twists and turns, seeing how the story was moving along. It picked up from where The Reaper had finished and added some new characters into the mix. Some parts
Margaret Madden
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Part 2 of The Reaper series, The Disciple sees the return of Detective Inspector Brook with all his quirkiness still intact. Having witnessed the death of serial killer, The Reaper, he is then shocked to discover some cases which carry the signature of the dead killer. How can this be? Is it a copy cat or something more sinister? Why is DI Brook under suspicion in the drowning of a man who lives miles away? Why has an ex FBI agent moved next door? These are questions which the DI needs to find ...more
Janet
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good solid read from the pen of Steven Dunne. The second instalment following on from The Reaper. It continues on with another multiple murder case in the Drayfin estate that has everyone baffled. Including of course main protagonist Damen Brook, a whisky loving, deep thinking cop that doesn't always do everything by the book, but gets the job done, somehow!

I first started reading this some months ago and left it a third of the way through. Was probably too soon after the first book and not
Michelle
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having loved The Reaper I knew I was in for a treat with this and I was! This was a really good follow up to the brilliant start to the series and there is something about the Reaper and his thought process that I really like (in a non serial killer kind of way) so as far as criminals go, I like this one! And I also like DI Brook. Great series that I will continue!
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
what can i say, i thought the first in the series was good but this book was brilliant. if i could give it more than 5 stars i would do. the beginning of the book was genius and had me hooked straight from the start. my only advice to any readers is to please read the first one before reading this as you will appreciate this book so much more. looking forward to reading the third in the series.
Amanda
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book picks up where 'The Reaper' left off.
Initially the book is set in two different time zones and on two different continents and the reasons for that become clear as the story goes on.
Without giving too much away the step-father of Terri Brook (who is DI Damen Brook's daughter) is found dead following a drowning which is later judged to be murder. DI Brook emerges as a suspect for this murder as he had threatened the step-father after finding out that he (the step-father) had been having
Richard
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Another excellent read. Involved and complicated; based on a simple premise but told with many a twist and turn.
Captures a sense of place familiar to those of us who reside in the East Midlands. Best if you read the first book before this one - The reaper. Can't wait for the next instalment........
Geeta
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant follow up to The Reaper.

I really enjoyed The Disciple, follow up to The Reaper. I really like the way Damen Brook works, that he is elusive but can work well with his colleagues if respected by them. Great conclusion to the mysterious Reaper.
Stefan Schulz
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I finally came around to read the successor of The Reaper: The Disciple. Yes, it is DI Damen Brook again who cannot let go off the reaper. And while he is quite sure the reaper is dead, incidents happening in Derby and at his doughter’s place not only bind him as suspect to a scene, but makes him restart the investigation on the culprit.

The novel provides two main strands intelligently intervowen. Besides the investigation by Brook, we learn about the reaper’s past activities in the U.S.A.
Rathi
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very worthy followup to The Reaper. I like the fact that the 'villain' isn't entirely bad and to some extent the reader can even sympathise with the titular villain. I like protagonists who have human flaws and are conflicted. Damen Brook is one such character. I felt the first book gave more insight into his psyche than this one. The end seems to be a hook for the next in the Reaper series. I hope it will be as interesting as the first 2 books.
The plot is complex, the writing is excellent,
Gillian Metcalfe
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent book by Steven Dunne, I loved his first Damen Brook novel so was looking forward to the next one and I wasn't disappointed. I would recommend this book to friends and family
Brian Springett
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book
Ishaal Ramroop
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
it took me a while, it's a very thrilling and has a perfect ending that just blends in the whole story so well, un like when Netflix decides to make a movie
Rachel
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The sequel to The Reaper and just as good, looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Sue Bowers
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent follow up to the Reaper. Another page turner.
Amit
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Reaper's Dead, Long Live The Reaper

I couldn't have asked for a better sequel to The Reaper. Brilliantly written.
It has all the ingredients of a masterful suspense.
The book follows the events in Derbyshire post Victor Sorenson's aka "The Reaper"'s death.
Killings are occurring in Derbyshire again, following the same MO as the original reaper and it doesn't take long for DI Damen Brook to realize The Reaper has left behind his legacy in the form of a disciple(s).
Though the book is a sequel,
Stuart Hughes
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The The Disciple blurb: DI Brook thought the nightmare was over- but the Reaper has left behind a horrifying legacy

When an accidental drowning is found to be murder, Brook s past relationship with the victim makes him the prime suspect. A fact made worse when he receives a chilling message urging him to continue the work of the serial killer The Reaper, the deranged vigilante who had previously terrorised the UK.

Janette Fleming
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing

A nail-shredding thriller for fans of Stuart MacBride and Thomas Harris.

When an accidental drowning is found to be murder, Brook’s past relationship with the victim makes him the prime suspect. A fact made worse when he receives a chilling message urging him to continue the work of the serial killer The Reaper, the deranged vigilante who had previously terrorised the UK.

When a copycat murder on a Derby
Stephanie
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series that features Damon Brook and John Noble. I would advice reading The Reaper before reading this second book, whilst some books in a series could be read as standalones, the books are very closely linked.
There are two stories in this novel. One which follows a case in America where a pair of serial killers are themselves killed. The other is again set in Derby and to a lesser degree in Brighton. Two detectives from Brighton travel up to Derby to interview Brook
El
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Having read and liked the first book in this series, The Reaper, I found this second book a bit of a let down. It started well with a suspicious death in Brighton but then moved to Derbyshire and the original death was hardly mentioned. A rather convoluted plot then develops where the author uses the split-time technique: the current storyline and a parallel one from the past. This serves to interrupt the flow of the story with the result that it was hard to maintain continuity in either plot. ...more
AvonBooksUK

When a copycat murder on a Derby estate surfaces shortly afterwards, Brook is left with no alternative but
Lynn
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Comfortable to be back with Damon Brook and his fixation with The Reaper. Revisiting some of his old paranoia and the foes who troubled him, Brook seems to have done little to have moved on, still haunted by the murder of Laura and his nemesis, Victor Sorenson. When Drexler moves in next door however the same fighting spirit creeps back.
A great spin on a familiar story, with the new characters breathing life back to our main protagonist. Only the second book but somehow already seems a tad
Sandra
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I bought this as a bit of a punt, not having read anything else by Steven Dunne and rather regretted not having read The Reaper first. However I was too reluctant to put this down to wait.
From the start the style of writing was fresh and throughout the book it was mostly kept up. The plot was intricate, the nightmarish atmosphere well-evoked, the eventual solution a surprise, but oh, how profoundly irritating I found it to be jumped from one scene to another in such short, short snippets. There
Lynda
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book - intense, complex and a quite bit twisty. I read The Reaper (to which this is the sequel) a long time ago and really enjoyed it; I then picked up the third book in the series without realising and recognised Damen Brook so had to go back to find this one and I am so glad I did! Absolutely brilliant, even better than The Reaper, although I think you'd probably have to have read that in order to get the most out of this one.
Damen Brook is becoming one of my favourite characters.
Mary Johnson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another superb book from Steven Dunne. The urban legend continues to grow and the author has cleverly laid down the foundations for it to run a long time. Unlike the first book, this time there are personal motives and yet it is hard to resist an empathy for the protagonist. The story within the story is equally engaging and yet again, I was kept guessing to the end. A craftsman of the genre, one doesn't have to be a fortune teller to predict a long and successful future for Mr Dunne! I look ...more
Terri Phillips
May 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is the kind of book that really upsets me. I'm sure its very difficult to get a book published and then boom - something truly awful like this gets not only published, but a following. For me it was drivel from start to finish. I didn't know if the timeline was in the past, present or future. The original crime ended up having almost nothing to do with the story. There were no likeable characters; no one to root for and the ending was a disappointment of gigantic proportions. The book was ...more
Pat
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, a yummy complex story that really intrigued and tantalised. I had some suspicions about what was going on but the plot was so skilfully constructed that you couldn't be sure. It raised a lot of questions about justice, the nature of justice and what we would or wouldn't do for that cause. If it were your family - would you? What if you could get away with it, just walk away??

I do suggest though that you read the first book in the series (The Reaper) first as it gives necessary

• Their Little Secret (Tom Thorne, #16)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • The Repenting Serpent (DCI Michael Yorke, #2)
  • Natural Causes (Inspector McLean, #1)
  • Love Like Blood  (Tom Thorne, #14)
  • The Trophy Taker (DC Charlotte Stafford, #2)
  • Mozari Arrival (Hammond's Hardcases Book 1)
  • The Only Game
  • Twisted Justice (Lorne Simpkins, #13)
  • The Regret
  • Winter's Redemption (Winter Black #3)
  • The Midnight Caller (Jack Widow, #7)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • DEATH IN MIND (The DCI Jamie Carver Series #5)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Crossbones Yard (Alice Quentin, #1)
  • A Deadly Blessing (LAPD Detective Maddie Divine #1)
  • Say You Love Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #4)
Steven left Rhodesway School in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1976 after taking A-levels. He graduated from Kent University in 1979 and, after taking a year’s Post Graduate Certificate in Education at St Mary’s College in Twickenham, he undertook a variety of jobs in London, including Public Relations Consultant, freelance Journalist and supply teacher.

He wrote occasional articles for The Guardian,

Damen Brook (6 books)
  • The Reaper (Damen Brook, #1)
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • The Unquiet Grave (Damen Brook, #4)
  • A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)
  • Death Do Us Part (Damen Brook, #6)