Start by marking “Nora” as Want to Read:
Nora

Nora

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  972 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Nora Marlowe came to Texas with visions of dashing cowboys and great adventure -- but one despicable man with infernal laughing eyes, Cal Barton, took it upon himself to put an end to her illusions. Now Nora's love for Cal will cost her everything she holds dear. . .
Mass Market Paperback
Published July 2nd 1994 by Ivy Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Nora, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nora

Jenny
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nora is a spoiled, snob superficial aristocrat heiress. Her family is rich and she is arrogant and thinks she is better than people from a lower social class. She meets Cal a dirty, working man, a cowboy who works at her aunt's ranch. They are attracted to each other, they have sex, she gets pregnant and they decide to marry.

But what Nora doesn't know is that Cal is not what he pretends to be. In reality he is a very rich man but he won't let Nora know. He wants her to love him who he is plus h
Chantal ❤️
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Melanie♥
3.5 stars for the audiobook version.

Typical Diana Palmer book but with an historical setting. This one is set partly in Beaumont in 1901 just before the big Spindletop oil discovery in East Texas. I grew up there, so I found that part really interesting. I think this one would have been better if I had read it. It always annoys me when a book does not use contractions. Maybe that's how people spoke in 1901, but it just did not come across very natural in this version. Good storyline, a nice bit
Inn Auni
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Even till the end, it felt like Nora and Cal were still strangers. There's no spark between them.

I don't deny Nora was snobbish but, she was raised that way. And Cal was no better trying to educate her. I still think there's so many other way for Cal to educate Nora. She just needed some home skill lesson and that's it.

This was shelve as grovelling hero. Not much grovelling because they both were wrong. I think they redeemed themselves in the end.
Christel
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
Shelves: diana-palmer
I really enjoyed reading this one. I has nothing to do with her Jacobsville, Long Tall Texans, series. and It was nice to get away from there for a change.

Nora is a spoiled, pampered eliteist from Virginia. Her family has money and are of the highest social status. And Nora acts it. While in Africa, she is bitten by mosquitos and comes done with Malaria. She returns to the States and has the fevers at bay when a telegram arrives asking her to visit her family in East Texas. She goes and begins h
Janie
Rating: 4.5 stars.

I haven't read this book since first touching it in 2012. What I do remember was that Nora was extremely up herself, due to her high social standing and that her family was well off.

Throughout the book, Cal tries to 'tame' her and put her into place, firstly by moving her into a small house, which she isn't used to, and on top of that a house without hired help!

I remember that Nora suffered from this, as she was not used to doing housework, but Cal was unforgiving and didn't
Amanda Sheila
It's been a while since I have an anguish attack while reading Diana Palmer. This one's good! I practically feel Nora's painful heart break when she heard remark after remark from Cal. I like the feeling, I guess I am an angst-junkie after all. :)))

One of the best book of Diana Palmer I've read but I can't give it five stars. Mostly because I don't like Cal's withdrawal after Nora's terrible illness. I wish he'd fight for her. But still, I enjoyed it. Anyway, what an ending! :)
Lizzie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I'm done. Stick a fork in me. I've had enough of waiting for this selfish, snobbish, elitist stick-up-her-ass girl to grow up. Maybe she redeems herself before the book is over. I only made it about halfway through. Too bad I just don't have the patience to find out. And he's not much better!
Virginia Markhart
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of Harlequin. Never have been. I started reading this book, not realizing that it was a Harlequin. wow. So glad I did not now that, I may have missed a wonderful book. This was unlike any Harlequin that I had read in the past. Very, very interesting. I liked the family social status drama, the secrets between the main characters, and the setting of the story which was in Texas.
Terri
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
It took me a little while to get into this story, but eventually it drew me in. It's an old fashioned western with a good story line.
The narration by Natalie Ross was very, very good. Her male voices can't be beat by any female narrator I've heard to date.
HK
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it
audiobook by Natalie Ross. 9 discs. Western. Elenor (Nora) from Richimond, Virginia and a high class lady goes to Texas and met a ranch hand, Cal Barton. She knows the class difference is an issue to fall in love with him but she does. She slept with him for the first time, but Cal pushed her away and she left for England for a few weeks. Nora had a problem with a guy before who tried to advance on her, and he chased her to England. He wants to marry her for money and blackmails her about her be ...more
Jeanne
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good read. I like romance stories, especially ones with either historical or western theme. This had both. Nora goes west to east Texas to visit her aunt and uncle and there on their ranch meets and falls for Cal Barton, her uncle's ranch foreman. They seem to be from very different back grounds, she's rich and pampered and he's uneducated cowboy. The pull between them grew stronger and finally they gave in to their needs. I liked the ending. Sometimes there is not much diff ...more
Laura Calderone
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro che ha messo in evidenza una parte spiritosa dell'autrice
con alcune battute che mi hanno fatto molto ridere, si riconosce in tutto e per tutto
lo stile della Palmer. Personaggi forti e orgogliosi, i legami con le famiglie, le storie parallele ai
protagonisti, che danno un tocco in più alla storia principale, e le emozioni, forti,
intense, che ti fanno ridere, piangere (tanto), palpitare il cuore.
Juliewheatcox.Net
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I hate giving bad reviews, but I just could not appreciate the unsophisticated writing style of this book. It seemed "dumbed down" like it was meant to be a young adult novel. The long continued angst between Nora & Cal also became grating. It carried on for far too long and negated most of the romance.
Amber
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Sometimes it is nice to read what I like to call "pocket-book romance novel" I have read several in my time...but Diana Palmer is a new author to my goodreads. I found her writing style easy and enjoyable to read through. I will for sure keep her in mind when I need and want to read a good cowboy/western romance novel again!!
Alicia
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
if you look at this book as a whole it's an ok read but it was sloooow. I listened on audible and that probably gave it enough life that I could finish it. It was very repetitive. We get it Nora is a rich snob and can't be with a lowly cowboy. I liked the ending.
Jodi
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I liked that this was just a little bit different than most of Palmer's recent books. Still a lot of similiarities but the historical part of it kept it from fitting in so closely to most of her recent books.
Shirin bagchi
At the first look, the book held promises of 18th century romance and an insight into the outback lives. However, as I turned the pages, it did not promise much. Did not like it very much. In fact, I would rather have read a proper Regency romance from Mills and Boon or Silhuette.
Luvmyfamily
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the style of writing but I found that was only in the beginning and it warmed up considerably after the story line was laid. I loved this book and even liked the Brooks and Dunn reference in the end!
Awatef Ahmittach
Siendo sincera tenía bastantes expectativas sobre este libro. Sin embargo no las cumplió todas. Aun así le di tres estrellas porque ha sido una historia diferente. El argumento no estaba mal, hasta me hizo sufrir en algunas partes.
Shawn
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2009
This book was ok. If you like straight forward romance set in the past this is a book for you. The story was ok, but predictable.
Emily
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is really good!
Sharon
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable quick romance. Certainly not the author's best work. I liked her characters and the easy story line, but did not care
for the audio. The voice used for Cal was downright creepy!
Barbara Brockhaus
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Great beach read. I recommend reading it on the beaches in Costa Rica.
Stacey
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love diana palmer, this book was awesome, super cute, loved it!!!
Meghan
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a guilty read and my first book out of the romance section. It was okay, though pretty predictable at times.
Julie Wheeler
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happened to read this book before the first story about the Culhanes, Amelia. I enjoyed the story. The names of the lawyers near the end, Brooks and Dunn, made me laugh.
Jackie
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
so far pretty good
Lu Bielefeld *read.laugh.love*
Update: Re-read in January 2015
Connie
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Great book. Wonderful characters, loved the story. A book to read again and again!
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Taken: The Spaniard's Virgin (Mediterranean Brides, #2)
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • The Tycoon's Mistress
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Cherish
  • The Italian's Token Wife
  • With a Southern Touch: Adam/A Night in Paradise/Garden Cop
  • Dark Angel (Sister Brides, #4)
  • Courting Susannah
  • The Sicilian's Virgin Bride
  • The Wedding in White
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Love-Child
  • The Blackmail Baby
  • Marriage Meltdown
  • Tennessee Moon

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's libera
More about Diana Palmer...