Start by marking “Midnight Rider” as Want to Read:
Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

Savor the magic of New York Times bestselling author Diana Palmer in a dazzlingly sensual story of turn-of-the-century Texas, of a man as enigmatic and forbidding as the sun-drenched land--and the woman who dares to cross into the uncharted territory of his heart.
To Bernadette Barron, Eduardo Cortes was the enemy. A noble count with a sprawling ranch in the grand state of
Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages
Published August 29th 1998 by Ballantine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Rider

Start your review of Midnight Rider
Alexis-Morgan Roark
This one has to last for a while...I am going into the week before FINALS!!

Still behind for FINALS and finished this book. I know. I know. I gotta hide my Kindle and box up my books until the weekends.

Anyway...this was a historical. Nice change from all the contemporary (90s) alpha jerks I've been reading lately.

It was nice to get a variety of characters even if the plot/storyline is the same as the contemporaries-I am OK with that!

This heroine, while not as healthy as most DP heroines, was a
Aou
He wasn't cruel, just stupid and sweet. There were some angst but not as much as I expected. Lol
Bree T
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernadette Barron has always been a burden to her father. Her mother died in childbirth and her father has never forgotten that, nor has he forgiven her it seems. Bernadette also suffers from debilitating asthma and often requires care during and after an attack, further adding to the burden on her wealthy father.

An Irish immigrant, Colston Barron aspires to the levels of society that are closed off to him, despite all of his acquired wealth. He wants to marry his daughter off to a man with a
Danielle
Jenny
I LOVED IT! Hero, a rancher, lost his wife and child and is facing bankruptcy. Heroine's rich father wants to marry off his asthmatic daughter to someone with a noble title. Hero steps in and asks Bernadette to marry him. That way he will finally be rich and she will join aristocracy.

Sweet love story, a marriage of convenience, a sick heroine and happy HEA with twin babies! I wanted to slap hero's grandmother and cousin for the way they treated poor Bernadette but she was feisty and spunky not
Amanda S.
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!

Bernadette, pretty girl with fragile lungs, is going to marry Eduardo. But not out of love. Bernie needs him for his title and to get away from her disrespectful father and Eduardo needs her to save his ranch. They made a promise to have a good marriage with friendship and honesty only. But what will Eduardo do when he realized he fall in love with Bernadette when she already gone because of his awful grandmother?

Been a while since I read good work of Diana Palmer. I have no high
Chitra *CJ*
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best Diana palmers I hve ever read!
It was like reading a mix of good mills and boons, a historical and a dp- all in one!
No misunderstandings, no tears- everything was resolved at once. The heroine was strong and the hero considerate. Made my night :)
Janie
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 stars.

Gosh, I love DP. I loved the plot and everything about this book. I wish DP would write more historical romances!
Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernadette and Eduardo

Midnight rider is a historical romance and a
Nice change from the contemporaries books Diana Palmer normally writes. Bernadette lost her mother in childbirth and bore the blame and disapproval of her father and she us made to feel as a burden due to her asthma. To make matters worse, her father searches far and wide for a suitable match for her that will open doors to high society something he craves and haven't been able to accomplish despite his great wealth. Eduardo is
Kazia
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a short, sweet story. The premise wasn't unique and nothing really got my heart-racing in trepidation. Will she die or will she not die? What did he do? None of that. But alas, it was nice. I liked the pair.
Jessica
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Always Another Great Book by Diana Palmer. Loved It. ...more
Rogetwhi
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this one. The H had a few parts where he was a buttface but not nearly as bad as other DP heroes AND the heroine had a backbone!!!!
Katrina
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Liv
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I am awaiting the arrival of my new monthly credits on audible.com, I needed an inexpensive audiobook, and not a long one at that. Oh my goodness, this little book was so much more than I bargained for! It was so good!!

This book has a lot of redeeming qualities in the lives of the characters. Palmer did a wonderful job in creating some of the most beautiful transformations in father-daughter, husband & wife, and within in-law relationships which was so heart-warming to witness.

Bernadette
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
I haven't read a Diana Palmer book in quiet awhile, but I do remember why I stopped. . . Usually D follows a certain formula which goes something like this -> Mousy repressed girl + Super Jerk + ridiculous woman hating past = abusive relationship that by some HUGE mystery transforms into ever lasting love.

I enjoy the whole love/hate romances, and I'm an even bigger sucker for the dream boat hero to fall madly in love with the normal/average girl everyone overlooks, so I always convince
Kasey Riley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

I was worried about this tale after the last I read from this author...I needn't have been. This story is well written without the repetitive details and angst of her more recent works. The characters were well developed and realistic, the setting believable and the plot well thought out. Worth the read. Good job.
Renee Booth (Sassy Book Lovers)
Historical Romance isn't often my choice of genre but I love change and I love reading different things. So when this was sent to me to review I had no idea what I was getting into or what to expect from it. What I didn't expect was to enjoy it as much as I did.

The blurb, to me, doesn't give this book justice.

Bernadette, young and stubborn has turned down many marriage proposals, much to her fathers disgrace. She wants to find love on her own, she wants Eduardo, but she won't let anyone know.
Karen Geurts
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked the story of Bernadette and Eduardo. It was back in time and different, but yet the same. Bernadette was a strong willed woman who stood up for herself and made a good marriage with Eduardo, who did not think he would find love. I liked the story line and the characters.
Pam H
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bernadette Barron's father is trying to marry her off to a titled gentleman with no luck. Bernadette manages to thwart every attempt. She has lived a miserable existence with her father, a self made millionaire, because in his eyes his beloved wife is dead thanks to Bernie. Her mother died giving birth to her and every time her father looks at her he is reminded of that fact.

Eduardo Cortes is a Count from Spain who lives on a ranch nearby and desperately needs money to keep his operation going.
Clarke
3.7 Stars. Public Library 11/10/14. Bernadette is the daughter of a wealthy Irish immigrant who is trying to marry her off in exchange for respectability. Eduardo is the neighbor that Bernadette has been in love with for years he also happen to fit all of her fathers criteria. He's titled but desperately in need of money which is the bargaining chip Bernadette's father feels like he needs to marry her off. Bernadette thought the hardest part of her relationship with Eduardo would be getting him ...more
Patricia Solla
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Based on our conceptions of life in the old west this story is right on the mark. The author has created a tale that gives the reader a strongly independent female lead character who's family background is a little odd but interesting to the reader. The male lead character is strong, mysterious and has and odd family background which is once again interesting to the reader. There are several issues involved with the health and well-being of the female lead character and the author addresses them ...more
Joanne
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bernadette's father is trying to find her a titled husband so he can break into oploie society. She rejects them all so far but her father says she must marry or else. Edwardo on the next ranch has ties to the Spanish Royalty and Bernadette has always had a crush on him. They come up with a plan to marry so Bernadette father will finally leave her alone and Edwardo can get money for his ranch . Will this be an arrangement only or will they actually fall in love?
Amber
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC. Loved this story to pieces. Great character development, great setting, great story, just...y'know...great. XD There were a few parts that felt a LEETLE bit rushed, but the everything else was so wonderful I still had to give it a full five stars. Particularly for the fact that it didn't end when the "I love you"s were exchanged! I might have to buy myself a copy of this one.
Angelica Stevenson
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In 2005-2007 I read so many of Diana Palmer's books. My ex's mom had a lot and that got me hooked. She is an excellent author and I just enjoyed them. Especially the rancher, texas, farmer themes plots and stuff.
Natalie
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of her historical novels. Bernadette has been in love with Eduardo for years. He chooses to marry her for her dowry so he can save his ranch. Several misunderstandings before the happy ending.

I usually prefer contemporary romance to historical ones, but this book was rather good.
Rebeca O
As always I'm captivated by another Diana Palmer book. Once I began to read it I could not put it down.
Judith
Decent story. I though the asthmatic storyline was definitely something different Palmer and I thought she did a fairly decent job incorporating it into the scheme of things.
Jaye
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Every girl should be blessed with an Eduardo. Strength, nobility and determination, whats not to love.
Annelise
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this story.
At first I wanted to shake and slap the father silly. Nothing to bring a family together like a crises.
Twins, what a nice idea.
Liked it very much.
LeAnn Martinez
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
It was ok, the end was better

• True Colors
  • Night Fever
  • Escapade
  • All That Glitters
  • Fire Brand
  • Tangled Destinies
  • Keegan (Texas Rascals #1)
  • White Lies (Rescues, #4)
  • Denim and Lace

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's