Start by marking “Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  38,549 ratings  ·  3,018 reviews
The legendary Eat That Frog! (more than 450,000 copies sold and translated into 23 languages) provides the 21 most effective methods for conquering procrastination and accomplishing more. This new edition is revised and updated throughout, and includes brand new information on how to keep technology from dominating our time.
Paperback, Second Edition, 128 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Eat That Frog!, please sign up.
Ken Lenoir No offense to Tom but it's a 2 hour read and I couldn't disagree with him more unless he outright lied about the book's page count. It is very…moreNo offense to Tom but it's a 2 hour read and I couldn't disagree with him more unless he outright lied about the book's page count. It is very actionable. The key insight is this: Find out the most important use of your time at each moment, or at least every day, and work on it until completion.

There are other techniques for time management too like the 80/20 rule being applied to all your lists, determing "what one goal/task, if I achieved/completed it, would have the greatest positive impact on my life?" and working on that, a goal setting/achieving method, a prioritizing method for lists, determining your key result areas, what exactly you get paid for, what skills you need to increase your income, etc, etc.

I've done Tony Robbin's RPM method, David Allen's GTD method, and the Meta Productivity method, and my own versions of to do lists, implemented other's recommendations, and I've gotta say that Eat That Frog trumps them all.

It comes highly recommended from me. (less)

·  38,549 ratings  ·  3,018 reviews

Start your review of Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
ريحانة
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
A self-development book that seems like a long PowerPoint presentation, with tons of quotes from people I never heard of. So I'm supposed to be inspired and motivated by a certain Jonathan Smerkfeese who says "Procrastination. Such a bad, bad thing"?

What I learned from this book, however, is how to write a self-development book. Let me share these ten easy steps with you:

Step number one: Pick a title. Nothing revolutionary. Any mind-numbing sequence of words can turn into a title. The Princess
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
I finished this book a couple of days ago..........and I wanted to put a review in right away to get it in at the top of the week, but there was the Super bowl, then Monday I had to make dog food (you did read that correctly), last night Justified was on.....and that needs your full attention. This morning I had class for my Ballot Judge position for the primary March 6 (that promises to be a clusterf#k my friends). Now I'm stuck at work, and have to type this out on my IPad which is not the ...more
Alicia
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book and I think its not bad. It is full of useful tools and tips to get you to stop procrastinating. But there are better books out there. The best book I've read on this topic is the Procrastination Elimination Method by John Isaac. It's not really famous.. its like a hidden gem. It addresses the core experiences and perceptions that cause procrastination to begin with.

I give 3 stars to Eat That Frog because the author seems to have put in a lot of effort.
Cory Zorker
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing revolutionary, but a good (and quick) recap of the things we need to do to get stuff done.

The key premise is that if we ate a live frog first thing in the morning, everything else would be easy compared to that. It's a good reminder to concentrate on the most important task instead of getting mired down in the smaller, unimportant ones.

The author gives 21 steps to getting things done:

01. Set the table (spend some time writing out your goals for year, month and week). Prioritize those and
Donna
May 29, 2012 added it
Think on paper.
1. Write down your goals, set deadlines, list steps to achieve goals, organize steps into a plan by priority and sequence, do something every day on your highest-impact goal.
Do now: list 10 goals. Pick your highest-impact goal, set a deadline, make a plan, take action.
2. Make a master list of everything you want to do, make a list for the coming month, make a list for the coming week and for the next day. When planning a project, list all the steps and organize them by priority
Justin Tate
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The whole book boils down to "do the hardest task first" and "make checklists." Not exactly rocket science, but I gotta admit I'm finding myself using the catchy phrase "Eat That Frog!" as a reminder to stop putting off daunting tasks. And I love checklists. Since I'm currently in a moment of high stress time management, it's exactly what I needed to hear. To really save time, listen to the audio version. It's unabridged and only 2.5 hours.
Heidi The Reader
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Brian Tracy gives simple and easily acted-upon suggestions for stream lining and maximizing your productivity. The title itself, Eat That Frog!, refers to completing the biggest, ugliest task you may have on your plate on any given day. If you do whatever that is first (the frog), in the morning when you're at your most energetic and before anything else distracts you, then at least you can say you got something done today. Most everything else will seem almost easy by comparison... at least, ...more
Lulu
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book may be better for doers than thinkers. I read it about a year ago, and really liked it. A lot. It gave me a good kick start to getting things done. But then procrastination crept back, and the frog effect wore off. I'm a right-brain thinker, so I probably should have just tattooed the saying on the back of my hand.
I've just started reading "The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play" by Neil Fiore, and it's a better fit for me. "Eat
Ahmed A
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"There is never enough time to do everything you have to do. You are literally swamped with work and personal responsibilities, projects, stacks of magazines to read....But the fact is you are never going to caught up. You will never get on top of your tasks"

The key is: Prioritize your tasks!

That's the book in three words! But how?! Brian Tracy will show you how in this book, Eat That Frog! The ugly one first!

Very practical book. You would love this book if you actually applied the exercises
Reid
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Reid by: Paul Jew
Brian Tracey puts together a book full of useful ideas on how to be more productive.

His chapter summaries on p113 are a good resource to review.

1. Set the table: Decide what you want
2. Plan the day in advance: Think on paper
3. Apply the 80/20 rule: 20% of activity produces 80% of the results
4. Consider the consequences: of your 20% activities
5. Practice creative procrastination: put off things of low value
6. Use the A B C D E Method continually: prioritize
7. Focus on key result areas:
Maryann
I saw the author, Brian Tracy, several years ago at a seminar as a motivational speaker and became a fan. Needed some extra motivation on getting tasks done recently and 'Eat That Frog' definitely helps with re-prioritizing things on the task list and making a plan to get them done. Listening to the audio book is even that more effective. Here are the notes I made while listening (his major principles):

Decide what I want. Plan every day in advance. 20% of my activities are 80% of my results -
Ariana
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
I gritted my teeth through this whole book. Having just re-read the exceptional Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, by David Allen, this book felt poorly-written, poorly-organized, and poorly conceived. The author is brutal and his suggestions mostly make me want to run the other way. Get up early. Stay up late. Nose to the grindstone. Work work work work work work work. The most successful people work work work work work work work. He offers billions of made-up statistics ...more
Maciej Nowicki
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eat that Frog by Brian Tracy is about time management and personal productivity. If sometimes you find yourself cleaning your house, organizing files on your PC etc. instead of doing really important things that you should find this book really useful. Although many of these tiny activities seem to be productive they aren’t the best use of your time. So what you really should be doing is eating that Frog which means doing your most important task. Simultaneously, it is the task which has the ...more
Dana Cristiana
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dana by: Busila
4,5 stars.

I haven't read many "self-help" books in my life, but I have to say that this one is the best of them all!
This Tracy guy made some research, but not only that. He has many experiences and from them he shows us how to deal with time. This book is talking mainly about being great on your job, but you can take it for other things as well.
Tracy is teaching us 21 steps that (combined in a way or another) can help us manage the time we have, how to stop wasting it away and start right away
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Sarah by: Josh
Great book for anyone trying to tackle their personal obstacle that's keeping them from moving faster towards their goals, whatever those goals may be. The book is based on the saying by Mark Twain that if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with teh satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the wost thing that is going to happen to you all day long. The book contains lessons on prioritizing, how spending a couple of minutes outlining and ...more
غيداء الجويسر
Updated review 31 March 2016:

If you follow the 21 rules, your life will be as productive as u wish.
Though, I followed some of the 21 rules for a short time then I went back to my old Procrastination, maybe they have to be 'revised' from time to time ;)
Melody Warnick
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Irony: I owned a copy of this book about not procrastinating for about five years before I finally read it.
Amy | Foxy Blogs
I failed this book. I started listening to it in December and then got distracted (which goes against the concept of this book). I picked it back up 7 months later and finished it. *facepalm*

Kind of funny when I think about all the skills the book is teaching a person on how not to procrastinate and it took me 7 months to finish it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a commentary on the book but more on me. I guess I should probably read it again at some point and try to do a better job
Julia Doherty
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You will often see me post online that today I have to "eat a few frogs". This is now a way of life for me! I think Brian Tracy is a genius!
Vaishali
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Absolutely essential reading for anyone who's human. Fantastic insight so typical of Brian Tracy. Go through this repeatedly, until it becomes a part of you.
Azn
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was biased toward self-help books, to me, they were useless. Just common sense put into different words that people with midlife crisis deemed as gospel for about a month until the next motivational self-help book came along. Eat that frog cracked that bias, and 8/10 is the highest rating I could give, at the moment, to a book that I had a disdain for before I even started.
The book was a surprise, it lead me to understand the appeal of self-help books. You cannot see these types of books as
Jeremiah
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for quick tips for maximizing your daily output then this book is a great start. Each chapter is about three pages long with two ideas to implement what was just learned. I've read a bunch of Tracy's material and have profited from a lot of it; however, his underpinning philosophical outlook is largely panentheistic (god is in all things). There are other serious philosophical issues Tracy is just wrong about, but very little of his "New Age" ideas spill over into this book. So ...more
Parth Agrawal
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Lately whatever I've read, maybe this one is not at par to them but as some famous person has rightfully said- 'Always learn something from every experience you have and every action you undertake'.

Well let me clarify what the hell does this title means as this was one of the biggest curiosities i had about this book before I started reading it:p:p, there's a quote - 'Whenever you start your day catch and eat a frog.' In this way the way this activity of yours can be the worst thing that can
Damaskcat
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been meaning to read this book since I bought it back in 2011 but because I am very good at procrastinating I managed to put it off! It has proved its worth already because I have spent the last two days completing a complicated paperwork task which involved putting together lots of information from all sorts of places and collating it into a coherent whole. I’ve been putting off doing this for the last two months. In the spirit of the book I decided that this was the frog I really needed ...more
Max Nova
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bleh. This book is preachy, condescending, and devoid of any unique ideas. The audiobook version is particularly excruciating to listen to. The basic message of the book:

* 80/20 rule applies
* Maximize your time doing the top 3 things that actually matter
* Start with your toughest task
* Focus

And then there's weird cult-style stuff about saying "Get back to work! Get back to work!" to yourself repeatedly. It's almost as if a pandering Dilbert boss wrote this book to give to his brain-dead
Donna
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked the title and that is probably something I will never forget. It implies that one should do the hardest, ugliest thing on your to-do list first. The author gave a lot of ideas for getting the most important things done and out of the way and also the need to delegate. He provided ways to implement this into life.

However, this is one of those books that had so many little things in it, I think to really benefit from this, one would have to read it a multitude of times or take some
Markus
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
The book is basically about the Pareto principle (80-20 rule), with some tips and tricks how you could incorporate that into your life. Great recap and reminder of that you will never be “finished” with all your tasks and the importance of planning and prioritizing the work.
Indrani Sen
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Took me a long time to get around finishing this. A well written book of easy to follow advice. The advice makes sense too. Now I need to remember and apply. :)
imane
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Eat that frog! but before eating it you have to decide what you want to achieve in each area of your life.
-Define your goal, think on paper
-Set a deadline on your goal
-Create an action plan
-Take action on your plan
-Do something every single day and build habits in order to achieve your goal.“Only engage, and the mind grows heated. Begin it, and the work will be completed.”
– Do first things first, concentrate single-mindedly on one task at a time and continually review your life and work to find
Jitendra
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is one of the best book on Procrastination by the revered author Brian Tracy . He has provided following 21 steps to handle this -

1.)Set the Table - Create a table with your Goals. Clear written goals have a wonderful effect on your thinking. They motivate you and galvanize you into action. They stimulate your creativity, release your energy, and help you to overcome procrastination as much as any other factor.

2.) Plan Every Day in Advance- When you plan each day in advance, you will find
Eat That Frog! from SmarterComics, by Brian Tracy 7 88 Feb 24, 2019 01:26AM

• Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life: Before 8AM
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
  • Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • First Things First
  • How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
Brian Tracy is Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations.

He has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the US, Canada and 55 other countries worldwide. As a Keynote speaker and seminar leader, he addresses more than 250,000
“One of the very worst uses of time is to do something very well that need not to be done at all.” 55 likes
“...you cannot eat every tadpole and frog in the pond, but you can eat the biggest and ugliest one, and that will be enough, at least for the time being.
46 likes