Start by marking “Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement” as Want to Read:

This is a perfect resource for all educators seeking research on the best strategies for raising student achievement through classroom instruction. A guide for educators of students in K-12, readers will find a wealth of research evidence, statistical data, and case studies. Nine categories of instructional strategies that maximize student learning are introduced, along ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Prentice Hall (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Classroom Instruction That Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classroom Instruction That Works

Start your review of Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
Yzobelle
May 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
For a non-fiction book, this is truly enlightening and inspiring. It stirred up some of my dormant research ideas. Perfect timing!

This book emphasizes the need to support major decisions with factual data from careful study and research. It is written in a very light mood as if Robert Marzano is just conversing with me.
Irene McHugh
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Marzano" has been a buzz word in education for years now. Funny how we forget that he did his research with two women. Pickering and Pollock. Not that the ladies made the book any more interesting to read. This research is dry. If it wasn't helpful, I would have given up.

The nine research-based strategies highlighted in this book are effective, particularly for the educator artists who understand the nuances of the strategies, and push their own lesson planning to incorporate these approaches.
Michael Heneghan
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a prime candidate for 3.5 stars if it existed on here.

From bigwig Marzano and friends, this outlines nine different instructional techniques that have the heft of scientific research behind their effectiveness. Most are things that good teachers do already, like encourage note-taking or using visual organizers, but I, for one, like knowing that certain things work better than others, and that you should use what has the most bang for your buck.

A brief, convenient read for any busy
teacupsandunicorns
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Had some great, specific techniques you can use in the classroom to make things interesting, less tedious, and able to reach more kids due to different learning styles.
Jeri Walker
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to the never-ending debate of how to reform our nation’s failing public school system, the most viable solution can be found in adopting research-based teaching strategies. Sounds simple, right? But it’s not an easy task when politicians, parents, administrators, and teachers can’t seem to agree on what it means to incorporate research-based strategies into the classroom.

One text that should be adopted in the school-reform movement is Classroom Instruction that Works by Marzano,
Gretchen
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading some of the strategies and how they affect student learning immediately and over time. Some of the strategies are reminders some are newer.

One aspect I wish some educational books would take into consideration is subject area. Certain subject areas are easier to work with some of the strategies than others. Examples from the more difficult areas would have been more beneficial to me.
Valerie
Mar 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: NTP
I read this book for my New Teacher Project, like all books of this type 1 or 2 good ideas, cleverly hidden in a morass of stuff I already knew or suspected.
Marko Zanev
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good book with many examples for teacher who want to know what strategies to use and how they are applied.
Diana Valdivia-Rodriguez
Charles Pettus
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lot's of good information
Vera Pereira
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. Helped me review my teaching framework and take notes for strategies and practices to implement.
C. Varn
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has had many editions and the most current one is not the Marzano, Pickering, and Pollock book. This review pertains only to this edition as I have not yet read the Ceri B. Dean, Elizabeth Ross Hubbell, and Howard Pitler revision of the book. While I have not always loved the direction the states have gone with Marzano's work, and some of the narrative about data-driven and research-based strategies overlooks that some of the research methodologies around "Best Practices" in education ...more
David Miles
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit old now, with much of what is written here supersede by more recent work, but nevertheless a reasonable primer for considering some basic aspects of planning instruction strategically to support all learners and focus on the learning, not the teaching.
J.M. Brister
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to J.M. by: another teacher
Shelves: 2012, 2013
This book puts the RESEARCH in research-based teaching strategies. I would have just preferred the strategies though. If you're looking for more strategies, you may want to see A Handbook for Classroom Instruction That Works, which is a companion book to this one. Unfortunately, there was almost too much data given and made it harder to read. Overall, though, it had some great practical strategies that can easily be translated to the classroom. Obviously, Marzano knows his stuff.

If you are
Fawn
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all educators
Recommended to Fawn by: The New Teacher Project
Marzano details 9 strategies that will engage students, differentiate learning, and help students retain knowledge. I found it an easy read, and yes, some of the 9 are common sense and simply remind us of some of the things we already know we should be doing. But if you currently teach, you need to read this, because more and more schools have adopted Marzano as the underlying source for their professional development and their evaluation of teacher performance. Therefore it is important to know ...more
J & J
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It has been some time now since I read this book (as well as a second Marzano book) and what I've found is that much of what's stated and/or demonstrated in these books is very much based upon the reader or evaluator's interpretation, not necessarily Marzano's intended outcome. In addition, I am yet to find any worthiness in most of his evaluation premises, although, I do find his data compelling and logical. It's unfortunate that in some schools, his general/basic ideals are twisted and then ...more
Quinton
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the most useful book I've ever read on teaching.

This book is full of practical, specific strategies on classroom instruction. It's not about how to run a classroom or how to deal with unruly students or any of that crazy stuff. It's just straight up how to design instructional content for maximum effectiveness. I'm not even a teacher, but I read this for fun and it's really interesting. I can see how you could use this even if you're not a teacher (e.g. if you have to give a
Julie
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Marzano and his co-authors go through 9 teaching strategies that have been proven to increase student learning (...as the title would imply). With each strategy, they talk a little bit about the research behind it, and then go into how to use it in the classroom. A lot of the strategies are things many teachers already do but it's nice to read about why they're effective and the little things to think about as you're using them. The book's a little dry at times but very informative.
Patrice
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource. It details some teaching strategies that research supports as effective across all subject areas. For each strategy it gives background information and research on the strategy before discussing practical applications of that strategy in the classroom. This book will make an excellent addition to my library. I'm interested in other teaching materials by Marzano.
Norbert
Apr 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly awful. Much of the data was collected when I was in grade school. Half of the chapters were nothing more than lessons in the obvious (with aged research to back it up of course). There was next to nothing that I could utilize in either my teaching or apply to my philosophy of education. It was simply a colossal waste of time.
Whitney
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I am a Marzano groupie when it comes to research based practices for the classroom. Marzano has done great research and has pulled together everything into a user friendly format. Everything in teaching can fit into his "9". If teachers don't know the "9", they should. It will only make them better for it.
Gretchen Mary
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of ideas and instructional strategies that can be used in the classroom. It is a bit more difficult to read than some of the other straight forward books. Marzano explains the research in the book which is probably something I could have skipped. If you tell me it's research based I will take your word for it.
Suzanne
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful mix of theory and practice with excellent examples. Well written, easy to digest, easy to find information and refresh my memory. Highly recommend for any teacher wanting to improve their practice.
Sara
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a Continuing Education class. It was filled with tons of different ideas that will help me in the classroom. I won't blog too much on this, but as a teacher I found it helpful and interesting.
Steve Bennett
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebt
Supposed to be seminal but I found it difficult to be inspired by, Professor Hattie and Geoff Petty are more compelling authors. The message 'though is undeniable and an evidence based approach will eventually penetrate all tiers of education, won't it?
CMT325
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graduate-school
This book presents nine strategies that all teachers should use in the classroom for the best possible results in teaching. We had a movie that went along with it, where the writers discussed several of these strategies in detail, so it was interesting.
Colin Kemmis
Really great. Pretty much all the proven teaching practices and why we use them. Some new stuff I didn't know too. I can't wait for them to figure out more specific stuff for my age/stage of teaching.
Jen
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I can't say that this book provided any groundbreaking strategies that I'd never considered, but it did provide a gentle reminder of the variety of strategies that teachers need to employ in order to reach the maximum number of learners.
Devin Mulville
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for any educator, especially one that is just getting into the field (that's me!) Not only does Marzano give you great instructional strategies, but he breaks it down to specifics and then gives examples on how you can use it in your classroom!!
Katherine Hebert
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Probably my 10th time through. Always good, usable stuff.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The First Days of School: How to Be An Effective Teacher [with CD]
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
  • Mathematical Mindsets: Unleashing Students' Potential Through Creative Math, Inspiring Messages and Innovative Teaching
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • The Excellent 11: Qualities Teachers and Parents Use to Motivate, Inspire, and Educate Children
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • The Essential 55: An Award-Winning Educator's Rules for Discovering the Successful Student in Every Child
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3  Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy
  • Judaisms: A Twenty-First-Century Introduction to Jews and Jewish Identities
  • The Crises of Empire: Decolonization and Europe's Imperial Nation States, 1918-1975
  • Rousseau, Burke, and Revolution in France, 1791
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Understanding by Design