Start by marking “Bligh: Master Mariner” as Want to Read:
Bligh: Master Mariner

Bligh: Master Mariner

The eighteenth century was an era when brave mariners took their ships beyond the horizon in search of an unknown world. Those chosen to lead these expeditions were exceptional navigators, men who had shown brilliance as they ascended the ranks in the Royal Navy. They were also bloody good sailors.

From ship’s boy to vice-admiral, discover how much more there was to Captain
Published November 1st 2010 by Hachette Australia

Max Coggan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the real captain/governor Bligh in this novel.Not the one I had envisaged from school 60 odd years ago. What a revelation. A highly intelligent and disciplined person and an outstanding mariner.
Ruediger Landmann
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
I cannot praise this book highly enough! It is quite simply superb. The writing is vivid, and Mundle's enthusiasm for his subject is contagious.

This is a very sympathetic biography of Bligh, emphasising his considerable skills as a sailor and a captain, and rejecting his characterisation in popular history as a tyrant. As Mundle tells it, I was left with the impression that the voyage of HMS Bounty was doomed to serious problems from its outset, but for reasons quite unconnected with Bligh's ch
Helen
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The more I read about William Bligh, the more I believe that the circumstances covered by the press of the time, were against him.

He struck me as someone who was not only was a master navigator and sea farer, but also fair as he was hard. His life in the Royal Navy, his illness that transpired from his long open boat sea journey, the mutinies all didn't detract from over 40 years in service.

Any lesser man would have packed it in and gone home. Not Bligh. If something was unfair or unjust, he w
Erin
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what made me select this book off the shelves of the exchange but I’m so glad I picked it up. My knowledge of English naval exploration of Australia is not that much more advanced than a Year 5 History lesson. I knew the big names of the people who were responsible for much of the European settlement and exploration but not a lot about how, the extent, or why they were involved.

This well written novel was a joy to read and has given me a renewed want to find out more about this cou
Stephen Tubbs
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wpl
An adventurous life that could fill more than one book - the author explains he has only briefly covered some aspects of his career (e.g. his governorship of NSW) and has concentrated on his Royal Navy career. A master mariner, explorer, surveyor, cartographer and battle commander of the highest order. Thankfully Bligh was also a letter writer and these along with his sea logs and maps/drawings have been well researched by the author. It is a very good history of the man and gives you some feel ...more
Frank Kohl
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Written by a man who has an obvious bias towards Bligh, glossing over his flaws. Still a decent read.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarybooks
‘Know then, my own dear Betsy, I have lost the Bounty.’

Vice Admiral of the Blue William Bligh, FRS, RN (9 September 1754 – 7 December 1817) was an officer of the British Royal Navy, and Governor of New South Wales (13 August 1806 – 26 January 1808). Many of us remember him only because of the mutiny on HMS Bounty in 1789, where he is usually depicted as a tyrant who deserved the treatment he received from Fletcher Christian and his band of mutineers.

In this book, Rob Mundle examines aspects of W
Peter Langston
Rob Mundle has created an excellent rebuttal to the many films and popular myths about William Bligh. A master mariner, navigator and cartographer, Bligh will be forever linked to the mutiny on his ship the Bounty and to a lesser extent, his volatile stint as the fourth governor of the fledgling colony of Australia.
Mundle sets the record straight in just enough detail and paints the mutineers in a less romantic light than Hollywood. The brilliance of Bligh's skills as a seaman in bringing his a
Susan
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Gerhardt for recommending this exquisitely researched and detailed book - both the background and the characters come to life in this story of the other side of the Mutiny on the Bounty story. I rather like Bligh for having 6 daughters and expressing his huge love and affection for them!

But it is suspicious that wherever he was there was a mutiny - was he really really bad, or this book tends to think that he gave everyone a fair go and didn't apply the whip enough, he gave the odd bad
Gregory Marris
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bligh's character has been much maligned over time, best known for the Mutiny of the Bounty and the Rum Rebellion of Colonial New South Wales. These are the events I knew him for so it was good to discover that he had so much more going for him. A high achiever and a man of strong principles, Rob Mundle's book goes a long way in redeeming Bligh's blighted character. Bligh was truly a Master Mariner and for his day, a fair hand. The descriptions of life aboard various sailing craft and the extrem ...more
Lindsay Eaton
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fabulous book - well written and meticulously researched. I could never quite reconcile the image of Bligh the tyrant, with that of Bligh, master mariner. This book gives a whole new slant on Bligh's life and argues that all is not as we've been led to believe. "There's a lot more to Captain Bligh than mutiny, rum and convicts...". A really great read - I loved it!!!
Bob Busk
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just don't believe everything you see in the movies.....and now you know 'the rest of the story'.
Exceptional writing, fiction-like life of William Bligh is brought to life.
Cathy
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read, now on to Flinders
Gavin
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
this was a super read. an extraordinary man misjudged by history. beautifully written.
Brian Trinder
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I did not know much about Bligh and the Bounty before reading this book, and must say the author has done a really good biography of Bligh while covering the mutiny too. Highly recommended.
Sandy Collins
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not my usual type of book so refreshing. Written like a story and not too much like a biography.
David Snashall
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This was OK, but not as engaging as I had hoped. It does give the other side of the story to the well known depictions of Bligh on the Bounty
James
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great account of a navigational genius. Well researched and well written.
David Payne
Nov 14, 2017
Jenny
Jan 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Rob Mundle is the author of the highly acclaimed international bestseller Fatal Storm. He has written six other books, including the bestselling Sir James Hardy: An Adventurous Life, Alan Bond’s authorised biography,Bond, and Life at the Extreme, the official record of the 2005/2006 Volvo Ocean Race round the world. He lives in Main Beach, Queensland.