Start by marking “The Heir (Regency, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Heir (Regency, #3)

The Heir

(Regency #3)

A revamped regency from the #1 New York Times bestselling author

When a marriage is arranged between a shrewd and strong earl and his equally matched cousin, they set off fireworks, both in their anger and in their passion.
Published May 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heir

Start your review of The Heir (Regency, #3)
Noelle
The only reason I didn't give this one a full 5* is because some of the diolog was hard to follow. I know most of it was supose to be sarcastic but I think that the author didn't quite make it work for, at least for me.

I've listed this on my 'rape by hero' shelf though some might not see it as rape. Justin (H) said him self that it wasn't rape however even though it was thier wedding night, Arabella (h) could tell he was in a rage (over a HUGE missunderstanding) and fought him, asked him not to
Shasha
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the first book by this author that I've read. I was sucked into the story even though the changing POV were jarring and confusing. One of my pet peeves, a misunderstanding, caused a lot of heartache while the obvious villain was so icky I skimmed his parts.

While there is a double happy ending, the details of the incest and the rape dragged down any positive feelings. Then suddenly from one page to the next the MCs are adoringly affectionate and I felt like I had missed a chapter. Did my
Krissy
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
It's official. I am not a Catherine Coulter fan. What a pity because a lot of her books SOUND good. But yet when I start them I quickly find my mind wandering. **what shall I make for dinner?* *did I give my daughter lunch money today?* *got to remember to pay my cell phone bill* and so on and so forth. This is the 3rd book by Ms Coulter that I have tried with the same results. Time to put her away and give up. Moving on....
Jennifer Marie
OH MY WORD! This book drove me nutty with the headhopping. I couldn't keep track of whose head I was in half the time. The characters were likable enough, the plot not bad (for a romance), but goodness I couldn't take the headhopping. I read it because someone gave me the book for free. It did keep me reading despite also driving me nuts...
Horsegirl275
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cindy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a mess of a story! I was halfway liking it when a misunderstanding occurs & ends up with the heroine being raped ( repeatedly) by the male lead (not a hero!). There's also a side story about incest. Ick!!
tacitus
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-book
Why not 5 Stars? The ending....

I really liked this one and thought it was much better than the first in this series, The Rebel Bride. The story was narrower and more detailed, whereas The Rebel Bride had far too much going on. That being said, the ending is quite disappointing. I will try not to give away SPOILERS!!!!, but the ending is rather...um...ignorant. It's like the author chose to just ignore the realities of Regency culture and act like everything was going to be okay now, la-di-da.

Patricia
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I've read a lot of Coulter, but this one stood out for me. I do like this author for lighter reading of fluff and mostly enjoy her modern "mysteries."

This historical romance disects the reasons that sometimes a "small thing" gets blown out of proportion and causes estrangement between people. I thought that reading this book might help someone in real life come to their senses. There are many who won't give a "second chance" or who won't forgive and become rigid.

The story may be hard to take,
Amy
Liked it quite a bit. However, I did dislike the fact then hero and heroine looked so damned similar to eachother. I don't think that's right. They should look different, or at least different colour eyes! But oh well. I hated her character. Full stop. I did however, like his. When the comte turned up, I was like: "OOOH damn! beef's going down now!" as soon as the whole scenario broke at with Justin assuming Arabella and the comte were lovers because he "saw them" coming out of the barn after ...more
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-england
This could be really confusing to follow if you dont pay close attention to the dialogue, but that is not why i scored the book so low to me personally the family relations were just to close for me it made me uneasy and creeped me out when the hero and heroine of the novel described each other as (paraphrasing here) mirror images or the male/female version of themselves a couple of times the heroine even believed the hero to be her father as for her half sister urgh no to many inter family ...more
Tasha
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: he-loves-me
I really like Coulter, this was not her best for me but it's still worth the read. I would have maybe gone 2.5 stars. The story was a little slow for me and there was one particular aspect of this book that I didn't really care for at all. It made it hard for me to like Justin. Basically, you have the daughter who wants her family home (no male heirs) but the father knowing that the land would go to his daughters husband selected the husband for her before his death. If they don't marry neither ...more
Roub
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a huge disappointment ! it began so well wid arabella, lady of the manor, spoiled n arrogant beyond words! she was a lil termagant, no less ! justin was patient n wanted 2 do his best bcoz he had promised a dying man he wud look after his cherished daughter. yet, he killed her spirit due 2 baseless doubts. he raped her brutally. he did not regret it even now he had proof of her virginity, he still wud believe her sluttish. he thought maybe she had been going 4 things like anal sex or ...more
Twiggy
I had forgotten how stereotypical, facile and uncomfortably sexist catherine coulter's books can be.
The heroine was really annoying from the outset. she appeared to be totally self absorbed and was simply oblivious to her mother's plight.

The hero starts off as not that bad, but is very patronising to the heroine, before he turns violent on their wedding night and rapes her
he is not over apologetic thereafter.
The side plot with the French cousin and his affair with the Half sister was tawdry
Brittney Wallace
If I could give it 0 stars I would. Both the hero and the heroine are unlikable at the offset, then he (Spoiler: rapes the heroine on their wedding night as an act of revenge over a misunderstanding) it all goes down hill from there. He never says the words: "I'm sorry." Just goes on and on about how wonderful she is and great of a wife she is to forgive him and she just readily jumps into bed with him. Nah. The writing was also repetitive and mind numbingly contrived. The ending was awful and ...more
Maureen Feeney
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Heather
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing

Romance tropes. Everything I hate about romance books. Threats of striking his wife, calling her a slut and then claiming he didn't rape his wife on their wedding night because he used a cream to ease his way in, but saying she would have deserved rape if he had. Disgusting! This is just bad all the way around.
Heather
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was extremely irritated almost the entire book. The author repeated herself CONSTANTLY. And the way she wrote made me grind my teeth.
The plot was good, if this had been someone (who wrote better) else's idea...it would have been a pretty good story.
Karen Darling
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rbdigital
There are 35 chapters, I only got to chapter 13. The hero is stupid, disgusting and vile. I’m sure in the end he turns into a prince, but I don’t feel like wasting my time putting up with him until he comes to his senses.
Marie Phillip
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I neared the end of the book (time to think of the rating I would give it), I thought the author forgot to explain an important detail. I'll give it a 4, I thought. She came through at the very end, so I gave her 5 stars.
Katy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brutal English lord dies, leaving his estate to his a distant relative pending the marriage to his second daughter. Love, hate, greed, murder and espionage creates an interesting story set in 1600s England.
Noemia
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
I have read better from Catherine Coulter, this Regency series is rather boring, although this one until now was the most interesting story, it was too long.
Brenda Allen
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great set of books
Kathy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Coulter must have had a thing for rape scenes.
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I actually wanted the story of the heroines father. He seemed a more intriguing character than the main couple who were kind of boring together.
Cath
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice book though sometimes th thoughts of all characters were a bit confusing.
Kris Ackerman
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Marielle
No rating, DNF'd at 25%.

It started out ok, but it started getting weird somehow, so I read some reviews. Apparently there's a rape-scene at the wedding night which, from how i've gotten to know the characters, seems very out of character. This is an old-school, so those scenes happen, but together with the very fast changing POV's (sometimes every paragraph) I decided to spend my time on something else.

This book is getting donated.
Lilly
Read some of the reviews and let me tell you that some weren't pleasant,of course we know that Catherine Coulter write gothic or dramatic stories that's her style, yes there's some topics that are gruesome but at the end she has the happy ending. Here are some highlights from the book:

"Lady Arabella. You are perhaps more arrogant than your father, though that is a very close call. You are damnably proud, but still, I am sorry for it"

"Though I can easily picture some ferocious fights between
Brandi
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading this book. I loved it the first time around (a long time ago) but this reading left me wanting. As much as I love Catherine Coulter's books , I think that I need to stick with the more recetn additons of her collection, the FBI series. I'm giving this book 4 stars for the great time I had reading it the first time and the mediocre reaction that I had this time around.
Krista Pressey
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Arabella was a strong heroine for this book and so I found some of the things that she did strange. Why would she all of a sudden back down to the Earl. Gervaise was utter slime and I was happy to see him die. Not a book that I would typically pick for myself...I was given some from a friend. We shall see if they are all the same scenario.

• Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords, #1)
  • A Rose in Winter
  • When Strangers Marry (Vallerands, #1)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
  • Never Less Than a Lady (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Oath (Lords of Action, #3)
  • Survivors: One Brave Detective's Battle to Expose the Rochdale Child Abuse Scandal
  • Midnight Sons Volume 1: Brides for Brothers and The Marriage Risk
  • The Petrakos Bride
  • Green Lightning
  • The Dark Abyss
  • What You Made Me
  • Vow (Lords of Action, #1)

Regency (5 books)
  • The Countess (Regency, #1)
  • The Rebel Bride (Regency, #2)
  • The Duke (Regency, #4)
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)