Start by marking “Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5)

Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones #5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  9,096 Ratings  ·  292 Reviews
Junie B. is having a run of bad luck, losing every game at the school
carnival. When she finally wins the Cake Walk on her last ticket, she chooses
a fruitcake as her prize. But who in the heck knew that sparkly foil-wrapped
fruitcake was really a lethal weapon in disguise? "The innocent first-person
narrative will make lower-school readers laugh out loud at her
mispronunciatio
Published September 19th 1995 by Random House Children's Books (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake, please sign up.

Mckenna Heather she took the fruit cake because she thought it looked delious and mysterious

Emmy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
I know a lot of people who like this series so I thought I'd try one out with Ellie. She liked it well enough but I had problems. I didn't like the baby talk language it was written in ("I ranned and ranned") and found myself correcting the language as I read it out loud to Ellie. I don't want her using incorrect English! A pet peeve of mine but I realize it was intended for fun in the book. However, the character is 5 - I don't know a lot of 5 year olds who still talk like that!
Also, stupid and
Jason
May 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
Shelves: child-lit, 2013, humor
Disclaimer: The following review contains profanity and is intended for adults/parents/teachers/etc. Parental guidance is suggested if you're letting your kids check out reviews.

I got this for my six year old niece last year because she was starting to get into "chapter books." I saw that the Junie B. series was well liked, and thought nothing of it. My niece also said she likes Junie B. and had read a few of them already.

Today I was watching my sister's children, and I saw this sitting on one o
Esther Barajikian
"Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Friutcake" is a realistic fiction book for primary readers, written by Barbara Parker. Junie is a rambunctious kindergartner who manages to get herself into trouble without even intending to. Like many 5 year olds, Junie has a very hard time loosing. After a disappointing evening at the school Carnival Night, she finally wins a cake at the Cake Walk - an yucky, blucky friutcake.

I gave this book a 3-star rating because it was enjoyable to read. I especially li
Gracie
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was a very funny book. At the end I though it was very funny because she one a fruitcake but it wasn't what she thought was. But it was actually useful for a seat because in her chair she is to short and she usually sits on a book but it hurts so at the end the fruitcake is soft and it makes taller! This is my report of the book. Hope you liked it and hope you read Junie .B. Jones and the yucky blucky fruitcake because it is a really good book!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU Barbara Park for creat ...more
Emma
Becky Schroeder
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Krista
Aug 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
My friend recommended this series to me, for my 6 year old daughter. I was looking for something to read to her (chapter book) at bedtime. Tonight, was my first and last time reading this series. The grammar in these books is horrible. I am definitely not a grammar prude, however, here is an example of the kind of words and grammar in the first 2 chapters.

"Grampa Frank Miller the baby-sitter structions on me."
"I winned all of those games, too."
"Me and Grampa Miller played games today"
"Cause your
Nick James
I usually enjoy going back into my childhood and re-reading the old Junie B. Jones books, but I didn't find this one entertaining. It's okay but its story is off at times and the bossiness of Junie was at a high level in this book.
Carnival Day is coming up at school, where parents and teachers hold a carnival where kids play various games. Junie wants to win very badly and is pressured even more by her rich friend Lucille, who wins at pretty much everything. When the day comes, she loses at ever
Angela Marie
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-510, series
I really enjoyed reading Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake. This book tells the story from Junie's point of view and uses her voice. I thought this voice added a lot to the book. Sometimes Junie even gives her own definition to word that readers may not know, " glum is when the happy is gone all out of you." This would be a good series for younger readers who are just being introduced to chapter books. They are very easy and quick to read. This particular book of the series tells the ...more
Julie Church johnson
Apr 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I may be stoned for saying so, I know many good mom's who love this series for their daughters, but I just cannot stand Junie B. Jones books!
The incessant baby talk, mean & rude behavior in these books makes me absolutely crazy. I have no desire to raise my daughters with the likes of this child as a literary role model.
I want my daughters to have a strong voice. One that commands respect, gives respect to others and acknowledges their intelligence.
While I am a fan of similar books such as
babyhippoface
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction, humor
My favorite line in this Junie B book comes when Junie B meets Meanie Jim's grandmother. She introduces herself, then says, "I hate your grandboy." Classic.
Kayla
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was going through this crate of books I decided to give away and forgot I ever had this book and just decided to read it to my baby.
Rick Silva
Junie B. is the bestest game winner ever! Well, at least that is what she thinks after her grandpa keeps letting her win all the time. Things go differently when she has to face some real competition.

But when her teacher announces the upcoming carnival night, Junie B. is determined to practice hard and win all the games at the carnival. But the night does not go exactly as she's hoped, and when she does finally win a cake, she chooses the mysterious confection wrapped in aluminum foil, much to
Hannah Ellison
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junie-b-jones
I remember going to school carnivals when I was little, and playing musical chairs as well, so this book was a fun read for me because I can totally relate to Junie. In this book, she gets to go to a carnival with her parents, yet she can’t seem to win anything and starts to get very frustrated with the games. When she gets the chance to play musical chairs, and finally wins, of all the beautiful cupcakes and desserts she chooses for her prize, Junie picks out fruit cake because it sounds yummy ...more
Dusty
Apparently the only books I am finishing these days are the ones I read to my son at bedtime. Anyway, this entry in the Junie B. Jones catalogue--which he has begged me to read twice in the last week--sees the intrepid kindergartner learning how to lose without being a "sore loser." As always, Park finds humor in a problem that all kids Junie B.'s age face and writes using words that kids understand. Currently, my kid is more interested in Junie B.'s pranks and vocabulary ("behiney") than in any ...more
Alisa
A childhood favorite. I used to read these books nonstop and check out stacks of them from the library. Now as I'm older, I think: was I able to relate to Junie B. Jones, or was I just interested in her adventures?

Some people think this is too "hateful" and the incorrect English should not be exposed to children. I, on the other hand, think that children should understand that it's okay to be imperfect, and that people will love them despite that, even though sometimes people have disagreements.
Layda
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I am doing this book review I think like a week after I read this book but I was just feeling like reading this book because it was one a of my very first book series that I fell in love with at a very young age. I still have all of the Junie B. Jones books that I got when I was like seven and in third grade I still felt like I was very close to these books and around the end of third grade my teacher was trying to get rid of his books and he let us pick some of his books that he didn't want ...more
Courtney Stevens
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
Junie B. just wants to be a winner, against her grandpa, friends, and classmates at the school carnival. Life is hard when the games at the carnival aren't the same as what you practiced at home. Eventually Junie B. does win, just not using her cake in the typical fashion. Positive ending which helped because the build up was kind of stressful and annoying.
Dawn Laws
This is a book in a series about Junie. In this book Junie is at a carnival and gets into a lot of trouble as usual. The cake walk she thinks you really walk on cakes. IT is a funny book to read. She picked the fruitcake because she likes fruit, but when she got home and tried it she didn't like it.

I rated this book 5/5 because it is a funny book to keep the reader's attention.
Jordan Turner
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Junie B. Jones series was always one of my favorites growing up. But now that I'm older and rereading it it does show some aspects that I don't like. Although it fits the theme and they are fun reads, the language in the book seems to show bad habits to me.
Nina
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
These books grew on me after quite a bit of time, because the first one put me off. The fact that a sweet little soul is within that brat called Junie which shines in at the end is charming. The comic aspect with people having aspirin repeatedly due to her obnoxiousness saves the stories as well.
Cami
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love how she has bad grammar.
Celeste
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute little books. I remember reading them in elementary school!
Shaine Woo
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I still have this book, and I had it when one of my friends gave it to me when I was younger. It's really cool.
Mellanie C
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Junie B. made the same assumption that I did, that fruitcake must be something awesome when in fact, it's the most disgusting thing known to man. Fun story.
Katie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Jane enjoyed this one. These are perfect books to read with my 6 year old; we can each take turns reading a page easily.
Astrid
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2006
*Note: This is a review of the entire series as a whole because I feel the same about each book.*

Quite honestly, I think this should be one of the first chapter books you let your kids read. Sure, the grammar is a little off at times (it's a small child, come on!) and the subject matter can get a little crazy (Once again, it's a small child!) these books are entertaining and easy to read for your little readers! My cousin who is 6 LOVES these books, and when I was little I loved them too. Overal
Justine
Title: Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones #5)
Author: Barbara Park
Illustrator: Denise Brunkus
Genre: Transitional Chapter Book
Theme(s):
Opening line/sentence: “My name is Junie B. Jones.”

Brief Book Summary: Junie B. Jones looks forward to winning lots of prizes at the school carnival, but a fruit cake was not exactly what she was thinking to win.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Hazel Rochman (Booklist, December 15, 1995 (Vol. 92, No. 8))
Junie B. Jones is back, as i
Genna
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Plot:
This book is about Junie B. Jones who gets to go to her schools carnival. Junie is a sassy girl who is always getting in trouble no matter if she tries to or not. When Junie went to the carnival, she walked in thinking that she was going to win a bunch of prizes until she started losing all the games. She was stuck on this one game until a mean boy in her class came over and started making fun of her since she was so bad at it. Junie got so mad at him that she got a wet sponge and threw it
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • Civil War on Sunday (Magic Tree House, #21)
  • The Orange Outlaw (A to Z Mysteries, #15)
  • Judy Moody Predicts the Future (Judy Moody, #4)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • Arthur and the Scare-Your-Pants-Off-Club (Arthur Chapter Book, #2)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...

Junie B. Jones (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3)
  • Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying (Junie B. Jones, #4)
  • Junie B. Jones and That Meanie Jim's Birthday (Junie B. Jones, #6)
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • Junie B. Jones Is Not a Crook (Junie B. Jones, #9)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Party Animal (Junie B. Jones, #10)
  • Junie B. Jones Is a Beauty Shop Guy (Junie B. Jones, #11)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland