Start by marking “Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #4)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  32,572 Ratings  ·  2,292 Reviews
Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals—and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan, are tense. B ...more
Published May 3rd 2011 by NAL Trade (first published April 12th 2011)

Kat Kennedy
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it
It's going to be really difficult for me to give this book a rating because equally divergent parts of me both enjoyed and disliked aspects of this book. Thus I figured a nicely rounded three star rating accurately reflects my ambivalence toward this novel.

On the positive side, Hard Bitten is an easy to read and mostly enjoyable book providing that you enjoy the narration of the main character and protagonist, Merit.

Luckily I do enjoy her narration and respect her as a character.

This story, mor
Jen
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: neill
WTH. I cannot even describe how I feel right now. Wait, yes I can. Betrayed. That is how I feel. Betrayed. Depressed. Devastated. Pissed.

Out of simple respect for the author I will refrain from giving this book a 1 star rating until I read Drink Deep. However, I must say that I would have read Drink Deep anyway. I didn't need some big, horrible shocker to keep on with this series. I will not read the series past Drink Deep though, if it is not resolved in a way that I like.

Sorry, not really, bu
Mrs. Badass
Nov 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: may-2011, kindle

Spoiler Free, I think.

ADDED:
I am an admittedly emotional reviewer, and this book really pissed me off. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, and I have no ill will towards the author, Ms. Neill. I mostly enjoy these novels, but I cannot get behind cliffhangers. I know that if you read this review Ms. Neill, that you will take this personally, because you are human, and you are the creator of this universe in Merit Land, but I ask you to put aside your personal feelings, and know that I don't know you
"That's All" Ash
Aug 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
*** Take Shelter. This Review Contains Spoiler-Bombs.***

photo tumblr_ma3ni9jU0L1qgn3cpo1_500-2.gif

For the record:

I was loving this series.
Loving it.

I had my cupcakes in one hand and vodka in the other; and I was friggin’ ready to hop on the “Chloe Neill” train, okay?

(Ash Pre-Book #4)
 photo tumblr_inline_mrl05zrt6D1qc9lhz.gif

And all the while I’m reading this series, I kept get warnings like, “Hey. Watch out for Book #4; it’s gonna kill you a little.”

And I would read and hear these warnings and then I’d do that thing where you kind of snort and you kind of laugh and your gra
ൠSinful
OMG.

Speechless.

Breathless.

OMG.

This changes everything. Holy cow.
Go. Preorder this now. Plan to stay up late. Have alcohol near by. scratch that. Alcohol will make you fall asleep.... CHOCOLATE! That's it. You MUST have LOADS of chocolate. The book should come with a bar strapped to it. (and an oxygen tank.. I could really use an oxygen tank right about now)

I can't post my official review until it hits the review site first.. so I'll add it in May. After y'all read it and it's too late. Suffic
The Flooze
I declare Chloe Neill to be a ballsy bitch. I’m thinking loophole because of one detail in the final pages, but that’s all I’ll discuss about the ending.

I had some problems with the third installment. I’m pleased to say they didn't crop up again in Hard Bitten. Merit’s snark was back up to par, Ethan garnered the right amount of sympathy, and Mallory was a friend rather than an irritation. Recapping was kept to a minimum, with Neill dishing out just enough to jar my memory. The pacing was smooth
Catherine
If you haven’t read any of the previous books I strongly recommend that you do not jump into the series here. A large draw for the series is Ethan and Merit and their connection. Their attraction grows with each book and it’s best to read them in order and watch the tension build. Plus, you’ll probably be lost about the current situation with the humans if you haven’t at least read the last book.

Starting this book, I was pretty nervous. The last book, Twice Bitten, took me high and then it drop
Flannery
Holy curveball, Batman! As I was nearing the end of this book, I kept thinking, “Oh, I totally know what the crazy jawdropper at the end of this book is going to be. Come on people, duhhh” as I paged through the windup. NOPE, it turns out this book just wiped that smug look off my face. I will put spoilers in this review where spoilers are due but LISTEN UP, COMPULSIVE SPOILER CLICKERS!! If you click on the spoilers and intend to read this book, you might as well get a Flannery-shaped voodoo dol ...more
Jilly
Oh no, you didn't, Book!!
emotionally dead inside photo: emotionally tumblr_inline_mukhjsxlrc1rptm2z_zps955765e5.gif
I have to start by saying that if an author decides to try to get me to break one of my life-rules: "Don't cry like a little bitch," I get angry. So, if the book makes me sad, I get sad and angry. We actually use the word "Sangry" in my house because I have boys. Boys get sangry too. We don't cry like little bitches, we get angry at the idea that someone is trying to make us sad. Then, as is my family's tradition, we then make fun of whatever it is unmercifully until we
Naomi 🐨
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was another terrific instalment of the Chicagoland Vampires - apart from the dramatic ending which really caught me by surprise :D Even though the plots are really quite slow moving, I still enjoy Merit and her thoughts and the way she fumbles through her life. I will be very interested to see how the next book pans out especially after this ending. So, it's 5 stars from me for now and time shall tell :-)
Mariya
Oh, Chloe Neill, you might as well have just staked me. Hard Bitten will leave you speechless, breathless and possibly leave you full of many many emotions. I loved it and hated it at the same time. And you will get my meaning when you flip to the last page of this book.

You guys have no idea how much I want to explode right now, explode all the secrets of this book, but I won't. I pray that the next week goes by fast so I can finally discuss with all my buddies, but this book was a roller coast
Juliana Philippa

Post Script, written October 2011 (don't read unless you've read #5): (view spoiler)

Okay, so it was fantastic!!! So great. I loved Ethan in it (as always) and I finally loved (well ... liked a lot) Merit as well. The other characters were great as always and the subplot was really well-done.

The best of the series so far, IMO, though this is a series that you hav
Bonnie
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say in my review but I simply couldn't find the words necessary that wouldn't also give the book away. So in the end I decided that I was going to sum it up with this:

Limonessa
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Gosh, am I pissed at this book. Angry. Could I go back and choose I wouldn't even read it now. I would wait and pick it up together with Drink Deep in November.

Neill, you cannot possibly bore me for almost 200 pages and then drop the bomb 10 pages from the back cover. I feel betrayed and irritated because this screams very much like a mean marketing strategy. This isn't even a cliffhanger. This is what cliffhangers hang on. Do I make sense? Probably not.
You know, of the people who read this on
Mandi Schreiner
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
Natasha
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An emotional masterpiece!
First of, if your new to this series, it isn't a stand alone series. so id recommend/suggest you start on book on. Next off, as series go, this is on my top 5 favorites list. Each book was an utter delight but this book just blew me away.

In past reviews, I raved on my love for Ethan Sullivan, the master of the Cadogan house, bu until this novel, we weren't giving him the respect he deserved. As a character, he grew personality and emotionally wise. As a male character,
Susie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Now that I've had a good night's rest, some time to digest, read other people's thoughts, and the author's few statements, here is where I'm at...

Action = I'll read Drink Deep and decide whether I'll continue with the series or abandon it and pretend that the last 2 books didn't happen (ends for me at Twice Bitten).

Rant #2 = I'm a bit annoyed at some reviews where they call this move bold, gutsy and/or an action other authors would never risk. Really? What books have they been reading? (view sp
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Fuck me. Not in a good way*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 31.01.2018
This was a better re-read than #2 and #3, it was still not as I remembered. My love for this series just isn't there anymore and it sucks big time. I remember LOVING this series. Loving Merit and loving Ethan to death. Now... I love Ethan, and like the rest. However, I'm missing the adoration I had for the character. For Ethan. I always thought of Ethan as powerful, but everyone keeps being strong and more powerful than him. Includi
Duchess Nicole
Completely dumbfounded. I kept expecting there to be a hidden paragraph...or even a measly sentence tacked on to the end. What an ending...
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
*4.5 stars*

…he stroked my jawline with his thumb. “You can run. You can keep running to the ends of the earth. But I won’t be far behind you.”

Oh. My. God. Really?? Reeeeaallyyy?? Ugh, that was a low blow. It’s not that I didn’t think this would inevitably happen in one of these books, it’s more that I didn’t expect it to happen so early. It was epic, amazing….unexpected. It was everything I’ve wanted from my latest obsession (cough, Ethan, cough), but everything that could bring my world crash
Alex is The Romance Fox
I am not totally into this series yet....and book #4 has still not changed that.

I have this love/hate relationship with Merit and even Ethan.

She's like fighting all the Cadogan vampires battles and gets no credit for it!!!! When is she going to get the credit for what she does???

And then there's this whole hot/cold thing between Merit & Ethan...I love you, I love you not. I want you, I want you not!!!! It's so weird!!!

To be honest....I am not crazy about Merit's friend, Mallory - when the t
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, seriously, DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK. It will seriously ruin it for you. Don't be tempted, thinking that it won't matter and you'll still read the book. Because, it is a huge spoiler.

(view spoiler)
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Chicago is in a bit of an uproar against vampires, who are being accused of murdering humans at raves. Ethan has a warrant for his arrest out from the CPD. Cadogan House is still under repairs. Humans are protesting outside the House.

Merit is now forced to investigate these human murders to clear Ethan's name, using Jonah as an ally, they try to infiltrate the raves to gather information, and stumble upon a drug that is making vampires crazy and brings o
Samantha
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I was ready to come on here and say how boring I thought this book was, and then it had to end the way it did, and I don't even know what to say to that. From seeing the summary's of the other books I know something happens to change what happened, but that didn't make it any less hard to read. I guess I can be thankful I seen those or I would've been really freaking pissed with the series and the author. I still can't believe that happened.
~~~~~~
full review to come maybe
Lady Allison
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I finally read it.

But I don't think I can review it. I love Merit & Ethan. It's still too painful.

This is me:

[image error]

I am SO glad I waited until more books were released so I didn't have to torture myself with that ending. Now to read how she intends to fix this mess...
valee
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really disliked the ending. Not the whole book, but the ending killed all my fascination with the series. I would've rated it higher but I just can't with an ending like this one. The book was great but when something as big as this happens right at the end it changes everything. These are the reasons for why I am completely against this book:

(view spoiler)
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Hal-le-freakin-lujah. I finally finished this book after how many months?

First attempt : March 2012

Second attempt : August 2012

Can you really blame me when I had this book's ending spoiled for me way back when it was first released? I ended up reading Hard Bitten in 3 separate parts because my motivation was stolen, given the fact that I knew what was up ahead.

Since then I've had books 5 and 6 spoiled for me, so I really should either quit reading this series, or get caught up so I can read the
AH
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm in shock...

Ms. Neill, that was truly diabolical of you. You know what I’m talking about. There I was innocently reading one of my favorite series thinking about how happy I’d be if only – then – BAM! You pull the rug right from under me!

I screamed. I was upset. My status update said simply “NOOOOOO!!!!” I almost threw the book across the room. I didn’t because I am anal about keeping my books in pristine condition.

Wow. That was awfully brave of you.

I must say that you are a very smart writ
Wendy Darling
HOLY CRAP.

I don't think I can write a coherent review. You have punched me in the face, Chloe Neill. Now you'd better put some ice on it.

There was a tiny part of me that thought some things that happened were out of character throughout the book, but...I so did not see this coming. What the heck happens now...?
Shari Kay
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr-uf
2.25 ✭

So yeah, I'd pretty much given up on this series, but decided to read HB because I own it and have determined to get through all the books I've already downloaded onto my paperwhite. (lofty/unreachable goal, I know)

My two main issues are the same ones I've had the entire series: Overall lack of believability of character actions (otherwise known as stupidity) and lack of emotion concerning the romance between Merit and Ethan.

I'm sorry, Merit is a horrible Sentinel. I can't even remember ho
Around the Year i...: Hard Bitten, by Chloe Neill 1 10 Jan 25, 2018 03:13PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Hard Bitten By Chloe Neill - Starting July 2nd 2016 15 12 Jul 25, 2016 09:16PM
I'm done with this series now.... 17 134 Jun 21, 2014 05:26AM
ARE U KIDDING ME???!!!!!!(spoiler) 47 315 Dec 15, 2013 06:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Jumbled editions? 3 24 Nov 19, 2011 04:50AM
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3)
  • Another One Bites the Dust (Jaz Parks, #2)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--h ...more
More about Chloe Neill

Chicagoland Vampires (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
  • House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)
  • Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)
  • Wild Things (Chicagoland Vampires, #9)
  • Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)

“Ethan—”

“No. I will never be far behind you.” He tipped up my chin so that I could do nothing else but look back into his eyes. “Do the things you need to do. Learn to be a vampire, to be a warrior, to be the soldier you are capable of being. But consider the possibility that I made a mistake I regret—and that I’ll continue to regret that mistake and try to convince you to give me another chance until the earth stops turning.”
312 likes
“Be stubborn if you wish to, if you need to, but we know how this will end.” 118 likes