Start by marking “Web Analytics: An Hour a Day” as Want to Read:
Web Analytics: An Hour a Day

Web Analytics: An Hour a Day

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,538 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Written by an in-the-trenches practitioner, this step-by-step guide shows you how to implement a successful Web analytics strategy. Web analytics expert Avinash Kaushik, in his thought-provoking style, debunks leading myths and leads you on a path to gaining actionable insights from your analytics efforts. Discover how to move beyond clickstream analysis, why qualitative d ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Web Analytics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Analytics

Martinxo
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web, ux, analytics, 2010
A superb introduction to web analytics. This book has completely changed the way I look at this increasingly important part of my job as a web manager.

Kaushik writes well and is clearly very passionate about his work. All profits from the book go to charity!
Steve Walker
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Forget page hits, unique visitors, and all the other sought after wed site statistics and find out how users are really using your site, what is working, and what is not. This was an eye opener for me. As manager of a large web site I thought I knew what I was doing using analytic software such as WebTrends and Google Analytics. I only had half the picture. I was focused on the wrong things.

Mr Kaushik is clearly enthusiastic about what he does. What could be dry reading is thoroughly enjoyable
Sebastian Giano
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a great informative insight into the inner workings of the internet and how it can be used to further business relationships and increase revenue streams. This book is a must read for all the internet marketers out there, take your game to the next level. This book contains breakdowns of how and when to use web analytics to best fit your online operations. Very informative, highly recommended.
Joel Katz
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't waste your time you should go for the second web Analytics right away
Erica Hatch
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book, while some of it is super outdated, is also really helpful and motivating.

NOTE: This was published May 29th 2007, I read it in 2016/2017.

The tone of the book was perfect; It was professional with a splash of humor here and there. The humor really helped me to stay engaged in the reading.

The information itself is really helpful. Like I said above, some of it is outdated, but many, many times I found myself jumping on my computer to try something that the text suggested. There is a lo
Terry
Nov 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book. The author seems jovial, the proceeds go to a good cause, and it seemed to harbor an iterative approach to understanding this topic.

That said, the book is CRAP. The author rambles on and on and on. I lose my train of thought. It is like he is high on caffeine and chatting out the side of his head. The table of contents seems to indicate some organization, but get in the weeds reading the pages and he flits all over the place.

The tone is pithy and shallow. "Call IT" wh
Carrie
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
This book seemed a bit long to me. I think the concept of trying to break up this complex subject into smaller bits is a nice idea, but what it seemed to do in practice is to drag the book out more. I did get some good ideas and information from this book, though there were a lot of parts of the book that didn't apply to me. This book definitely assumes that you have greater control over the website you are trying to analyze and have at least some level of influence over the business (i.e. the w ...more
Steven
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shockingly fantastic book. The hands-on stuff is useful and practical. The theory seems spot-on. The context is great. Avinash Kaushik does a great job capturing web analytics and all of the ancillary issues related to implementation, and does so in a readable, engaging way.

You read so much garbage about analytics. It's so refreshing to read something so smart and nuanced.
Cameron
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with an online business
This is far and away the best analytics or SEM book I have ever read. Really incredible stuff by a guy who is smart and funny. This is accessible to anyone no matter what their level and is really, really outstanding.
gramakri
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fairly comprehensive book on Web Analytics written in a very easy to understand manner. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to develop a good understanding of web analytics.
More details @
Nacho.gb
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
My rate is simple: don't stand the test of time. It's logical, it was written 10 years ago.

Spanish review about Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
Sara S.
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Essential reference for those of us engaged in the wild world of web analytics (and most of us are, whether we know it yet or not)
Carl-Johan Hunefalk
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Internet professionals
Excellent starting point for Internet professionals with limited knowledge and experience with web analytics.
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
A little dated, but a good overview of Web analytics and guidelines for how to get the most out of a Web site.
Paul Dyb
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A simple question, "So what?" will change the way you look at web analytics.
Tom
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great definition and an very actionable plan
Lucky
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for beginning web analytics.
Oguz Bayram
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
It is a little bit theoretical book with less practice. Even some subtle details given, its unnecessary high volume is something boring
Carlo Scomparin
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
(relatively) Old but still lots of insights for someone interested in an approach to analytics
Jan
Feb 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: web-analytics
Excellent book about creating insightful business reports and driving action. Not just about Web Analytics but also about Online Marketing in general. Definitely worth a read.
Francis Bacon
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Clear and passionate dissection of web analytics with a solid theoretical underpinning. Slightly repetitive in parts but it's worth it to get a handle on this important subject.
Miro Nguyen
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computer
Thorough guides to web analytics but hard to follow and too complicated to understand. Since the book was written in 2005, it doesn't provide up-to-date solutions.
Liz
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, seo, non-fiction
This book has some great advice, but the time frame he says you can complete these projects are way off, especially for bigger companies with lots of politics
Ngọc Anh
Mar 12, 2016
Christopher Evan
Mar 23, 2016
  • Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »