Start by marking “Wickham's Diary” as Want to Read:
Wickham's Diary

Wickham's Diary

3.1  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews

11 July 1784
Why should I be beneath Fitzwilliam? I am just as handsome as he is; I am just as intelligent, even though he works harder at his books; and I am just as amusing; in fact I dare say I am a great deal more amusing, for Fitzwilliam is so proud he will not take the trouble to entertain other people. Yet although he is no better than me, when he grows up he will in

Published April 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published March 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wickham's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wickham's Diary

Sharon
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2015
The bad boy of Pride and Prejudice finally tells his side of this most famous of tales and what a side he has to tell. Brought up by a mother who has only his best interests at heart, but those interests are to get her son in a position in life that she missed out on. One that would see him married to a rich wife and have a high standing in society. Despite his mother's plan, Wickham has other ideas.

Wickham wishes to have all the things in life that his childhood friend Fitzwilliam Darcy has ha
Leslie
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very unique book that tells you everything you never wanted to know about George Wickham - Prior to his entry into Meryton. Next the author uses the P&P (2005) time line and not the generally accepted 1812 time line; so the diary begins in 1784 when Wichkam is 7.

Through his writings we learn about his mother; greedy, snatching, scheming, his father; devoted but malleable, the elder Mr. Darcy; easily conned, and the man from Cambridge that lead him to the road to ruin; which Wickha
Anna
Apr 08, 2011 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Check out my review on Diary of an Eccentric
Sophia
After appreciating all the previous Jane Austen hero diaries, I discovered that the author wrote an additional diary from the point of view of Jane Austen's most infamous villain, George Wickham. I had no idea what to expect. Would she make me sympathetic to him? Gasp, please no! Would she make him even more detestable? Perhaps... Would she give me more insight into his life? I determined that would probably be true. So I settled in to see what I could find in the pages of Wickham's Diary.

The 'D
Megan
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Wow! I found this book very enjoyable. It sheds a new light on Wickham, a man almost everyone hates. It shows how and why he became the way he did and it made me feel a little bit sorry for him. It shows him to have a heart, which of course we know he later does not have.

Of course, with who this book is about, there are a couple of scenes that show his low morals, but they are well done! They make it clear what he is about to do or what he already did, but they are not in detail - which I was ve
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
George Wickham, fortune hunter, seducer of young women, and wastrel, had not only all the appearance goodness but a childhood situation that held a lot of promise. As the son of a steward, godson of the late Mr. Darcy, and playmate to the heir Pemberley, Wickham's future could have been bright. He had good looks, pleasing manners, and the approbation of a wealthy man. What went wrong?

In Wickham's Diary by Amanda Grange we learn that George Wickham, along with his mother both feel some displeasur
Susan
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
The thoughts and actions of George Wickham from when he was a lad in 1784 up to deciding to join the militia.
A very easy, well-written story which I enjoyed reading the evolution of Wickham's character but I would have liked it to continue up to and past his marriage to Lydia.
Muphyn
This can't possibly be any good but I picked it up for $2 and it's about a 180 pages so I'm hoping it'll provide a couple of hours of mindless diversion... :D

30 Aug: yep, pretty mindless rubbish. Beach reading is about all it's worth... Unfortunately it's not even mildly creative and stops just when things should get interesting (ie the start of Pride & Prejudice).

Skip it, even if you're a die-hard Jane Austen fan.
Georgiana 1792
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Piccole Canaglie Crescono

Il Diario di Wickham inizia quando George è un ragazzino di dodici anni. Fin dalle prime righe si vede che è sprezzante, invidioso, infastidito di dover svolgere compiti – come occuparsi del proprio cavallo – solo perché Fitzwilliam, che è il figlio del padrone di Pemberley, lo fa.
George vorrebbe essere fortunato come Darcy: diventare ricco senza doversi impegnare in niente (trascurando di pensare che essere erede di una grande tenuta come Pemberley comporta una dose mas
Laurel
A charming rogue, a gamester and an infamous eloper gets his own story

Austen’s bad boy George Wickham gets top billing in this prequel to Pride and Prejudice that will surprise readers for more reasons than one first imagines.

Anyone who has read Jane Austen’s original novel or seen one of the many movie adaptations knows that Wickham is a bad man: a charming rogue, a gamester and an infamous eloper. But what influences molded his character and what forces drove him to his choices? Wickham’s Diar
Sarah Morin
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Austen
This book is plausible yet original, something all Austen spin-offs should aim for yet few achieve.

This is by far my favorite of Grange’s “diary of pick an Austen male” series. Her others feature the male heroes. This one features a villain – Wickham from Pride and Prejudice. And better yet, it’s a kind of “prequel” to Pride and Prejudice, so it doesn’t feel at all rehashed. Grange takes what info Austen does tell us about Wickham (his father is steward of Pemberley, Wickham was to have a living
Samantha
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This prequel to "Pride and Prejudice" begins with George Wickham at age 12, handsome and charming but also acutely aware that his friend, Fitzwilliam Darcy, is rich, whilst he is poor.

Wickham's Diary is only the second of Amanda Grange's novels that I have read, and to be perfectly honest, I found this novel not as interesting or page turning as I thought I would.

As a reader, I found the novel rushed and under developed, though it was interesting to learn about Wickham's boyhood and his early ye
Staci
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Staci by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 2011-reads
My Thoughts:
I have to admit that I was disappointed in this one. No two ways about it. I thought and hoped that the author would develop Wickham's character and really give us (her idea why) the reason why he turned out to be such an abuser of women! Alas, I was wrong. He seems to have just been a bad egg, which he came by honestly enough from his manipulative mother. I'm glad that this one was short ,so I didn't feel too terrible about the time I spent reading it.

Recommend? Only to the die-hard
Christine
Deep down I have never felt like Wickham was simply a “bad guy”. That’s too black and white for someone such as me who loves a world full of various shades of grey. My feelings about Wickham were amplified (and perhaps even echoed) by the BBC series Lost in Austen which showed us a completely different side of Wickham, painting him not as the selfish rogue but as a man who took on a bad reputation in order to spare the loss of Georgiana Darcy’s repute.

Continue reading (and enter to win a copy!)
Charlene
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I was a little diappointed at the end of this book. I had the feeling that it was not quite finished. The story was very good up til that point, but I thought the author made Darcy to dark and even a little mean. Of course we are seeing him through Wickhim's prospective, so I did buy it. For those who think George Wickhim's the worst villian of Jane Austen this novel will give you a different prospect. I would of rated this book higher but the ending was to abrupt and should of ended where P &am ...more
Kate
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh. I've liked Grange's other Austen-from-Hero's-POV books but this one left me cold. Wickham's narrative sounds far too young for the 12-year-old at the beginning, and continues to sound dim-ish for the rest of the book, which ends just after the attempted elopement with Georgiana Darcy. There's no good reason for Wickham to turn out the way he does, at least not in this narrative, but even if he's really a sociopath that doesn't make for interesting reading. Also there's a weirdly dropped thr ...more
Christy
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
As a fan of Grange's Austen Hero series, I was interested to see what she'd do with Wickham. The book was super short and it ends where Pride and Prejudice begins which disappointed me greatly. I wanted to know what Wickham thought of Elizabeth and what in the world he was thinking when he ran off with Lydia. The book seemed so incomplete without these elements. My advice, read "Mr. Darcy's Diary" instead.
Jo
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Grange writes a sort of prequel to Pride & Prejudice in the style of a diary written by bad boy Wickham. This was a very quick read, not terrible but nothing special either.
writer...
quick afternoon read ~
very likely background on this scoundrel!
Emma Towers
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on what made Wickham the man he became. I was disappointed it stopped short of where Pride and Prejudice starts, though, as the other books in the series go through the stories of the original novels, as well as giving the main character’s back story.
This book was okay. i was surprised to find it ended just when he had decided to join the militia. I would have liked for it to have continued to the end of Pride and Prejudice.
Ebon
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Lori
Let's start with the utterly shallow on this book. The cover is divine, isn't it? I love the plume through the paper, I love the man (presumably Wickham) on the right side of the page with only half his face revealed (a portend of Wickham never truly revealing all himself?) and the ladies on the upper left (Wickham's weakness).

On to the actual book, I love that author Amanda Grange took Pride and Prejudice's bad boy, extremely relevant to the overall story and yet still a supporting character,
Emily White
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The bad boy of Pride and Prejudice finally tells his side of this most famous of tales and what a side he has to tell. Brought up by a mother who has only his best interests at heart, but those interests are to get her son in a position in life that she missed out on. One that would see him married to a rich wife and have a high standing in society. Despite his mother's plan Wickham, has other ideas.

Drew Constance
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts/ Review:

This is my first real taste of anything Austen and while I know people usually start with the original before moving onto the re-tellings and prequels and other Austen like novels, I decided to dip my toes in the other end and picked up Wickham’s Diary, by Amanda Grange in hope that I would get a feel for the time period, and hopefully like it enough to want to pick up the original.
My verdict: I loved it. It was so easy to read and I slipped right into the time period with no wo
Kashmira Majumdar
Pretty damn near perfect. It hooked me from the get-go and led me as easily as bull by the nose. Almost unputdownable. Its strength is characterisation: Wickham is a lazy, gutless, weak daydreamer, but he's so COMPULSIVELY READABLE. He's absolutely the hero of his own story.

Another strength is the relationship between the characters. Mrs. Wickham was absolutely wonderful, and seeing Wickham's honest-to-god painfully real love for the mother who encouraged him to be the way he is brought tears to
Linda Banche
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing

In WICKHAM'S DIARY, Amanda Grange has written a cautionary tale of how circumstances and personality can conspire to make a man go wrong.

In Georgian and Regency England, birth was all. No matter how brilliant, hardworking or even wealthy, a person's place in the natural hierarchy trumped all. But if a man was not born to wealth and power, he could obtain some if he used his opportunities.

Wickham, son of the elder Darcy's steward, was the younger Darcy's childhood playmate and friend. As such, Wi
Ebster Davis
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is really short. That's a good thing

It stops right as the plot gets interesting. That's a bad thing.

I really liked the breezy style, even if I don't agree with the way they characterized George Wickham as a sociopath trained up from youth to seek an advantageous marriage. (see rant below)

I liked that we got to see characters like Fitzwilliam and Anne through a more discerning eye than Elizabeth Bennett's (I actually really like these cousins, its a shame they couldn't get married.

JUS
Gloria Cangahuala
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed all of Amanda Grange's Jane Austen spin-off books, especially the Diary books. I was eagerly anticipating "Wickham's Diary" because it was the first of Ms. Grange's books to focus on one of Austen's bad boys. I was curious to see what made Wickham tick, and I wanted to see if Grange was able to somehow infuse some redeeming qualities into Wickham.

"Wickham's Diary" was entertaining, if a bit short (lots of white space and half-blank pages). I read the whole thing in one sitting. Th
Marla
This was a very quick read for me. I was stuck awake with heartburn and read it within an hour and a half. This isn't a very detailed book, but it does provide an interesting theory as to why Wickham is the way he is. It is a character study in jealousy and entitlement and I was left disliking him even more for knowing it. Grange details a possible scenario as to why Wickham tried to elope with Darcy's sister, Georgiana, as well as how he knew her companion, Mrs. Younge. He is every bit as devio ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Darcy Christmas
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • Recollections of Rosings (The Pemberley Chronicles, #8)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • A Wife for Mr. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • Mr. Darcy's Little Sister
Amanda Grange was born in Yorkshire and spent her teenage years reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer whilst also finding time to study music at Nottingham University. She has had twenty-five novels published including six Jane Austen retellings, which look at events from the heroes' points of view. She has also had two books published under different names: Murder at Whitegates Manor (as Eleano ...more
More about Amanda Grange