Start by marking “Une étude en rouge” as Want to Read:
Une étude en rouge

Une étude en rouge

(Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation #2)

Le Dr Watson raconte comment il a connu Sherlock Holmes, dans le cadre d'une enquête sur un crime qui a déconcerté la police. Le célèbre détective doit quant à lui élucider un meurtre qui a eu lieu dans la communauté mormone.
144 pages
Published 2010 by Akileos

To ask other readers questions about Une étude en rouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Une étude en rouge

Start your review of Une étude en rouge
Sam Quixote
Sherlock Holmes and John Watson meet for the first time in A Study in Scarlet, becoming roomies at 221b Baker Street and solving their first case together: murder most foul!

Ian Edginton and INJ Culbard’s comics adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic is about as good as the original which is to say that it’s just ok; Scarlet definitely isn’t the best Sherlock Holmes book. That’s largely down to the plodding explanation of the murderer’s motivations that take up most of the second half. It’s
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I have not read Holmes. I have certainly encountered him in movies, television shows, essays, and other pop-cultural artifacts, but I have not read his cases and have no firsthand experience with his interlocutor, Arthur Conan Doyle. So when I speak of A Study in Scarlet as adapted by I.N.J. Culbard and Ian Edginton, you’ll kindly bear my context in mind. I cannot speak to their faithfulness to their source material but to the quality of their final product alone.

A Study in Scarlet by Conan Doyle, Edginton, and Culbard

For the most part at any rate.
Sleeping with Ghosts
Can't wait to read it in this format after read the book. ...more
Jon Carroll  Thomas
A fine reduction of the novel. My main criticism is that Holmes looks too "dashing" in the art, like a skinny Superman with a comb-over.
Kristin Davison
This is the second book in this graphic novel series based on the first Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. This is well adapted and quite a direct adaptation from the novel.
I like the illustration style, John is drawn well and there are some really sweet moments. However the illustration style makes some characters, especially Sherlock, seem more sinister than they actually are.
Sem
I realise that Doyle described Holmes as having a prominent square chin but I'm quite certain that he didn't intend it to look like the business end of a garden spade.
Michael
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review from Badelynge.
This isn't the first time A study in Scarlet has been adapted into a graphic novel but it is still a welcome addition. Ian Edginton is very faithful to Doyle's story. The book is quite pleasing all round. Ian Culbard delivers a style of art that doesn't ape the Strand illustrations, rather he chooses to caricature the characters using Doyle's descriptions. Everyone is instantly recognizable throughout. A narrow palette of colours is used, mainly all shades of brown and
Bookwormandtheatremouse
I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan - by that I do mean the original novels of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. They really are wonderful detective stories and Holmes and Watson are great literary characters. These graphic novels from the independent publishing house Self Made Hero are a great tribute to the great novels. They create the scene brilliantly and the illustrations are excellent. They simply bring Holmes and Watson to life in a whole other way and are brilliant for established fans or people who ...more
Good adaptation of the original novel, except that I really didn't enjoy the art style.
Emily Schoenick
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
3.5
A decent story with decent graphics. Nothing amazing but still enjoyable.
Dov Zeller
This adaptation has much to offer a reader, but the way Holmes is drawn really distracts me. He's too happy, too super-hero-y, too clean-cut. I found myself looking through image after image of Holmeses over the years. In all of them he tends to be edgier and moodier. I really liked this one though I don't quite understand where it comes from and where it's going.

Those who adapt stories that are so iconic have a big challenge on their hands: how to stay
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories of Sherlock Holmes were one of my first introductions to the mystery genre and so it was with a mixture of excitement and hesitancy that I read this volume. There was excitement in re-reading this fantastic story and seeing how it would translate to images. However, there was hesitancy in reading a well-crafted story in another form and wondering if the new form ruins the precision of the story and the memory of what the story was and meant.

Fortunately, this full colour graphic novel
Lauren
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great adaptation of the classic Holmes story. I love the genesis of Holmes and Watson's relationship as seen through Watson's narrative. I think this story shows Holmes' classic deduction and reasoning skills better than some of the other books.

Love the graphic re-interpretations. I'd love to see more of these...
Jen
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This works much better as a novel rather than a graphic novel. The clever pacing and the feeling that you're always trying to catch up is disrupted by the graphic novel format (which is still a fun way to read this book, but not ideal).
David Schaafsma
Classic Holmes story told in comics fashion. I had read it and seen it many times, and so it was familiar to me, and this felt to me like a way in for younger people, as it sort of simplified things, but it was done by a talented artist.
Cecilia
Kind of excepted more of this story...

Read my whole review at Book Obession.
Pauline
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
The story was of course brilliant and I did enjoy the graphic style.
Though Holmes took some getting use to, so use to his face being that of Benedict Cumerbach.
Chris Jamison
This is my first introduction to Sherlock Holmes (in print). Gwinnett Co. Public Library edition.
Raven Black
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the illustrations and I are not "friends" they do work with the story. They show Holmes arrogance, rage, his manic nature, his temper, even distaste for others. Yet, there are a few time where they are exaggerated or just plain awkward (one page has Watson's teeth look canine and like they are coming out of his mustache). Yet, while I admit I have never read the full-length (or any Doyle novel) this feels as if it captures the nature of the original. The simplistic mystery, yet with its ...more
Connie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book that was written by Arthur Conan Doyle. The time frame is one I really enjoy reading and I can't get over how they used the word "ejaculated". I have seen this before in literature, so did not need to look this up again. The setting was one I really enjoy reading about. I didn't realize that Sherlock Holmes as so witty.

I loved when he was drawing blood from himself and said he better cover up the puncture wound as he frequently worked with poisons. Dr. Watson is definitely the
Kelley
Aurora
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Dr. Watson's Sherlock Holmes stories and covers the meeting of the two and the first case they work on together; a murder mystery that spans decade and two continents. If you're a mystery fan and haven't experienced this Holmes adventure, it's a must, and if you haven't read it for awhile, it's always worth a revisit because it covers both the what and the why with Conan Doyle's spell-binding story telling magic.
Grace Cooper
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-unowned
This was my first graphic novel and its a story I know really well. I really liked the art style and how it translated the story into images. I actually prefer the pacing of this compared to the original novel. I'm not sure I'll be picking up more of this series simply because I know the stories so well, but I'll be keeping an eye out for other graphic novels they do as this was so enjoyable.
Shim
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's great to read this again in the graphic novel format, but the story takes a while to get going, so it's a lot of just people talking. But by the end it was satisfying. Obviously the source material limits it a bit, but just looking at the graphic novel on its own, it's a bit dense and moves slowly compared to other things I've read.
Arris 7/8Y
It was a wonderful experience to read a book filled with images about Sherlock Holmes! The story made was extremely compelling, and I was unable to stop reading this book. This graphic novel is amazing!
Sarah Broman
A quick read. I'm not the biggest fan of graphic novels but I love Sherlock Holmes. I didn't really like the second part, I thought it was too confusing.
Saurabh
Well, credit to the illustrator but a story like this needs to be savored slowly like a novel not gulped quickly down the throat.
sherlockianreader
"The name's Sherlock Holmes, the address is 221B Baker Street"
Lorrie Graves
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved reading my first Sherlock Holmes as a graphic novel. Enjoyed the art work and storyline. ...more
Amy
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done graphic novel. Need to read the original book to see if it holds more interest but there wasn’t much mystery... just explanation of how Holmes knew/deducted everything.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kiki de Montparnasse
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • Welcome Home, Jellybean
  • Kuyruklu Yıldız Altında Bir İzdivaç
  • A Suitable Boy (Volume 2)
  • A Suitable Boy (Volume 3)
  • Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure
  • A Suitable Boy (Volume 1)
  • The Brontës
  • Permainan Agung (Sherlock #3)
  • Yes Man
  • Dear Fatty
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
  • Fen Country:  Twenty-Six Stories Featuring Gervase Fen (Gervase Fen, #11)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
Edginton sees part of the key to his success coming from good relationships with artists, especially D'Israeli and Steve Yeowell as well as Steve Pugh and Mike Collins. He is best known for his steampunk/alternative history work (often with the artist D'Israeli) and is the co-creator of Scarlet Traces, a sequel to their adaptation of H.G. Wells' The War of the Worlds. With 2000 AD we has written ...more

Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novels Adaptation (4 books)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles