Start by marking “Trust Us, We're Experts!: How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles with Your Future” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The book that unmasks the sneaky and widespread methods industry uses to influence opinion through bogus experts, doctored data, and manufactured facts.
Finally a long-overdue expos&eacute of the shenanigans and subterfuge that lie behind the making of experts in America. (Jeremy Rifkin)
If you want to know how the world wags, and who's wagging it, here's your answer.
Published January 14th 2002 by Tarcher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Us, We're Experts!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Us, We're Experts!

Ian
Feb 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The subject matter was very interesting (and pretty scary), but the prose was very dry. Also, given that it was written in the late 90's, much of the information is dated. Having said that, I still found the book to be interesting and enjoyable.
Koshin
Jun 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining book on how everything in the media is spun and how easy it is to fabricate the truth.
Taryn
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my Law & the Media class. Really interesting.
Alan Chen
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The book is a systematic takedown of the various conflicts of interest, spin methods, public relation artists, corruption antics, back scratching, pseudoscientific, dirt digging, expert posing, fact manufacturing, misleading, mis-characterizing, and outright lying used by professional operatives hired by various odious industries to control the future, shift thinking, stop watchdogs and fatten their profits. Or at least, that's what the authors want you to think. In reality, the book fails for a ...more
yamiyoghurt
Interesting, but very dense.
Anna
This book was not an easy read and it took me ages to finish it.

First of all, the subject itself is not much fun to think about. It's rather all doom and gloom, although I firmly believe everyone should familiarize themselves with this kind of information instead of hiding our heads in the sand and pretending everything's ok.

Secondly, the book has a very dry, textbook-like style, and that's a pity because more people would read it if it were more accessible and "fun". Of course, it's hard to ex
Jenine
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
It seemed to be a regurgitation of Toxic Sludge is Good For You.
Simon Wood
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE WHORES OF DECEPTION

"Trust Us, Were Experts" is one in that pair of intrepid reporters (John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton) remarkable series of books on the Public Relations industry and the manipulations and deceptions that go on in so-called Democracies. In this outing they don their white coats, enter the lab and firmly fix the genus Impartialis Expertis under the microscope. The results are not edifying.

The idea of scientists being full of integrity, "scientific", rigorous and impartial i
Todd Martin
"Trust Us We're the Experts" is very similar to the authors' earlier work "Toxic Sludge is Good for You" in that it discusses how pervasive the Public Relations industry has become and the many ways they are able to influence attitudes (both for good and bad).

There are two important points that the authors make that everyone should be aware of:

1) PR is EVERYWHERE and more often than not it is cleverly disguised (since its disclosure reduces its effectiveness). It takes the form of astro turf or
Mike
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and the only fault I can find with it is their lack of dealing (much) with the MEDIA and how it is one of the greatest influences in the misuse of scientific data.

Here is a portion of a review that can be found on Powell's Books:

*You think that if a scientist says so, it must be true? In the early 1990s, tobacco companies secretly paid thirteen scientists a total of $156,000 to write a few letters to influential medical journals. One biostatistician received $10,000 for writin
Nancy
Although I rated this book only 3 stars, I believe the information is more important than that. It's just that the same dirty tricks, just used in different industries and environments, were used again and again. After a while, I skimmed. It's very detailed, which makes it a good candidate for PR and journalism students. The best take-away for me was continue to distrust corporations and go to the Center for Media and Democracy when I want to find out who's really behind a consumer-friendly soun ...more
Thomas
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had just moved to Washington, DC and I was a long-time reader of Tom Tomorrow's comic (This Modern World). Tom illustrated the cover, so I took that as an endorsement and bought this book.

It's incredibly interesting yet incredibly dry. Definitely the kind of book that sells a couple thousand copies within the beltway and few outside of it. Still, if you want to know where the term "junk science" came from, or how good the bad guys are at getting the public to turn on science and act against th
Matthew
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book on how the media influences public perception / opinion. Big business bribes politicians and manipulates science daily in medicine, agriculture, and technology.

Once you learn how to spot propaganda, you can make better decisions that will help you live a better quality of life in all areas.

This is an eye-opening book about the public relations industry and how the public is deceived daily.
Linda Riebel
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You won't be totally surprised to find out that people are making a lot of money by telling outrageous lies, but this book will show you how they do it for big business. The "experts" in the title are PR (public relations) specialists, aka spin doctors, who, for a fee, will set up phony front groups, create a fog of misinformation, conduct smear campaigns, and more.
Spencer
The next time you buy something because it's been "tested" by a scientific panel or institution, you may want to read this book.....and then move to Bora Bora and go off the grid forever!! Some pretty messed up things going on under the aegis of "science". Caveat Emptor, baby!!
Harry Piuze
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That book was an eye opener many years ago. I never saw science and how our society prostituted it the same way after! Sadly ... It appeared after that it is the norm in almost everything. Economy over truth! All the time!
Kat Lynch
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff, covering a wide swath of industries/sectors.
sologdin
good primer on PR industry. probably the signature text from this pair of authors, who've written number of other narrowly focused items on particular PR conduct.
Jon
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good look at pr mischief, everyone and their mom should read this
Tom Darrow
Good information and topic, but it's very dense and time consuming to read. It's very well researched, but most of the sources are 90s, which makes it less reliable than other, more modern, works.
Wyatt
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Manipulation is just another word for marketing! :-) Great read for looking at how far manipulative marketing techniques can go. Think black hat marketing.
Veronique Perrot
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Nathan Janes
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST READ!
Chandra
Nov 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that we are naiive, but pseudoscience is a lucrative industry. Industry pays more for science than NGO's can afford in most cases.
Sally
Feb 16, 2010
Brooke Back
Oct 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Toxic Sludge Is Good for You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • PR!: A Social History Of Spin
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
  • America: What Went Wrong?
  • War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death
  • The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad
  • The Fluoride Deception
  • Rogue States: The Rule of Force in World Affairs
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • OBD: Obsessive Branding Disorder: The Illusion of Business and the Business of Illusion
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture
  • Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media
  • American Orientalism: The United States and the Middle East Since 1945
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • A Game as Old as Empire: The Secret World of Economic Hit Men and the Web of Global Corruption
  • The Republican War on Science
“Just as war is too important to leave it to the generals, science and technology are too important to leave in the hands of the experts.” 2 likes