Start by marking “Weaveworld” as Want to Read:
Weaveworld

Weaveworld

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  27,897 ratings  ·  1,176 reviews
Clive Barker has made his mark on modern fiction by exposing all that is surreal and magical in the ordinary world --- and exploring the profound and overwhelming terror that results. With its volatile mix of the fantastical and the contemporary, the everyday and the otherworldly, Weaveworld is an epic work of dark fantasy and horror -- a tour de force from one of today's ...more
Published August 25th 1988 by Fontana Press (first published October 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Weaveworld, please sign up.
Ms_Rebecca Weaveworld contains a fair amount of highly graphic sex and violence, some of it quite brutal even within first chapters. Odds are there is also drug …moreWeaveworld contains a fair amount of highly graphic sex and violence, some of it quite brutal even within first chapters. Odds are there is also drug use, but I cannot recall at the moment. I think the choice of whether this book is appropriate for children has to be a personal one. I would be fine letting my fifteen year old daughter read it, and and would use it as a jumping off point for conversation on topics contained within the book. I started reading Clive Barker as a young teen but as I said truly this should be about the reading level and emotional IQ of the child in question. Much of Weaveworld takes place in an alternate land and has a surreal quality that very much appealed to my teenage self and might for teens today as well.

I would not let my ten year old read Weaveworld as the graphic nature of bizarre sex scenes and moments of ultra violence are just not something I want him to have in his brain yet.

If you're looking for something with the otherworldly land and imaginative surrealistic quality of Weaveworld I would recommend 'The Talisman' by Stephen King and Peter Straub as a testing the waters sort of book. Talisman follows a boy on his journey across the Territories and does have allusions to sex though more as him seeing old Playboy pin ups and a medium level of violence. I am comfortable letting my ten year old son read it and had allowed my daughter to read it at that age.

We do things oddly I'm sure, but in our house books are not forbidden. We just have a discussion of subject matter, whether the young person is ready for it, and conversations about the book before and during the reading of it. (less)

·  27,897 ratings  ·  1,176 reviews

Start your review of Weaveworld
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Weaveworld is one of the very few books that I can claim to enjoy from the first page to the last, all 700+ pages of it. Even the introduction is great, normally I skim through lengthy intros to get to the story, but Clive Barker puts his heart and soul into this one, including this beautiful passage about the genre fiction:

“I have been, I think, altogether disparaging about the ‘escapist’ elements of the genre, emphasizing its powers to address social, moral and even philosophical issues at th
Bradley
This book probably deserves a full analysis, going into a full and deep review mode that gives a grand majority of the characters, both good and evil, lots of time to explore ambitions and twists and character growths and failures. I should also go into a twenty-page monologue on how beautiful and strange and wonderful the fantasy elements are, from the sideways-twisted tormenting of christian beliefs, the reimagining of so many mythical elements, the fact that good and evil are never what they ...more
Em Lost In Books
Intriguing. Will write more once I gather my thoughts together.
Nat K
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

”You won’t believe it.”, he warned.
“Tell me anyway.”
He nodded, and took up the story that he’d come so near to spilling the previous year, after his first visit to Rue Street.
“I saw Wonderland...”

There’s a saying about never meeting your idols. That way, your illusions can remain intact. Can the same be said for books you re-visit? I guess that all depends on the book, and how well it stands the test of time.

For me, “Weaveworld” remains a winner, up there on a pedestal. It blew me away the first
Leo .
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book! Fantastic fantasy novel. A story of Good versus Evil. Inner-space. Extra dimensional fantasy. A universe embedded in the fabric of a magical carpet. Supremely composed by one of the great horror writers, Clive Barker.🐯👍
Ted
No way can I will I rate this book.

Yesterday (quite some time ago now) I noticed that one of my friends here had added this book to her to-read stack. The author’s name hit me like a brick, the title less so. I looked Barker up on Wiki, scanned the list of novels, and decided that yes Weaveworld must be the Barker that I read.

Pretty sure I Liked the post, (ironic really) and left the comment below, that resulted in the rest of the exchange.

= = = = = = = = = =

Me: I think I read this many years ag
Ron
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own, buddy-read
Weaveworld. A world within our world, but set apart - sewn into a rug by magic. It's a world created by a people called the Seerkind, made to make a place of their own as a refuge, then hidden away because they are different – and hunted.

When Cal stumbles on, and set eyes upon a rug named The Fugue, he was enraptured. Why though? Just a carpet, although it be a beautifully intricate one, is to anyone else in our world an ordinary rug much like many others. The other men here, hired to clean out
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-shelf, fantasy
Once, there was magic. There were sacred places and secret spots, and beings that held magnificent raptures. They were the Seerkind, and they were the magical children of the world.

Then the Scourge came. A being of magnificent power and mad obsession with a singular purpose - to utterly destroy the Seerkind. Its reasons, its motivations were completely unknown and brooked no argument or negotiation. And so, with their numbers being burned down, the Seerkind hid. They used their best magics and t
Schmacko
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I read it in the late 80s, I have loved this rambling, indefinable book, which may make me a hypocrite. But I’ve learned human beings are nothing if not contrary in taste. I tell people I dislike science fiction and fantasy books, and that I have very little taste for gory horror (as opposed to psychological horror, which I love). Weaveworld wanders around a LOT in its 700+ Odysseus-like pages, but there’s something phantasmal and strange about this mystical world Clive Barker has cre ...more
Johann (jobis89)
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“That which is imagined can never be lost.”

You know when you haven’t read a favourite author in a while, and you kinda forget how amazing they are? And then you read 10 pages of a book and very quickly you’re reminded why you fangirl over said author - that was my experience with Weaveworld!

The Fugue is a magical land inhabited by descendants of supernatural beings who once shared the earth with humans, but it has been woven into a carpet for protection against those who would destroy it. The de
Annet
Aug 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, fantasy, weird, creepy
Fantasy is not my primary genre, but I was told repeatedly I had to read Weaveworld. It's been on my shelves for years. How can someone invent a story like this, seems incredible. Fascinating story but at times not really grasping my attention, at times it did though. not bad for a genre which isn't on my top shelves. Can imagine that people who love fantasy find this book a great book. Between three and four stars is my rating therefore.
Ashley Daviau
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This big, beautiful book just secured itself a spot in my favourite fantasy stand-alones EVER. With this book Barker shows that he can do fantasy just as well as he does horror and it’s just absolutely PHENOMENAL. He blends together such a spectacular mix of dark fantasy with just a dash of horror and the result is just mind blowing. The world Barker has created in this book is just so unique, I’ve never read anything like it and I doubt I ever will again! Not only is the setting unlike anything ...more
Tina
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I have never done this before. I was at page 669 out of 722, a fairly negligible amount of pages left to read, but I just couldn't continue. This book was SO BORING. The concept was cool and the characters were alright (kind of wooden, really), but the writing was just... it was lacking... FIRE, I guess. I was just so hum-drum. There was nothing that drew me to read it.
When I first started it, I was into it enough to keep going. I gave it a good hundred pages and it started getting interesting.
Stepheny
I have a couple of close friends who absolutely rave over Clive Barker…and especially over Weaveworld. I really hoped I would love it as much as they did. After the disaster that was Imajica, I wasn’t sure I even wanted to continue with Barker at all. I felt like he lost me completely with that book. But then I remembered how much I loved the Thief of Always….and can we talk about the greatness that is the HellBound Heart?

Imajica was so far over my head I thought that part of the book wasn’t in
Cynnamon
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kat-fantasy
In this book Clive Barker shows himself as his typical verbose, descriptive imaginative self.

Which is a good thing. Mostly. His ideas are often very unusual and surprising, his descriptions (especially of landscapes) are extremely convincing and I don’t remember any antagonist in a novel that I found as repulsive right from the start as the antagonists in this book.

On the less positive side I found this book really promising at the beginning and was full of expectation, but around halftime when
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤

No, seriously. I really don't know what I've read and have no clue how to describe it in a coherent manner.

Weaveworld is a story of a world within a world. A world that to save itself from destruction, wove itself into a magic carpet, if you will. It's the story of a world within a world within a world (yep, another one) that are all on a road to collision.

“Nothing ever begins.
There is no first moment; no single word or place from which this or any other story springs.”

The book is long
Kenchiin
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complex, sensual, twisted.
Also, very long. You need to have something for Fantasy to try this, otherwise go away.
William
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read WEAVEWORLD back in the late '80s just after it came out, and did so while on a boat trip around the Chester area on the Shropshire Union canal, so it was an episodic reading experience, punctuated by working locks, taking in scenery, and visiting a huge number of pubs. It's a surprise any of it stuck with me at all really, but I found on rereading this weekend that large chunks of it were there in my memory, flickering lights, raptures as Barker describes them, seductions and vision ...more
Erika
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loved China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and Stephen King's The Talisman.
Edit 080214:

Buddy read with Nick P. starts Monday the 4th!

This book is not for the faint of heart. If you like weird, wonderful and grotesque imagery in your books, feel free to join us.

Original review:

One of my absolute favoritest-est-est (yes I make up words) books ever. I love a good dark fantasy/horror novel and this one is one of the best... I'd give it 10 stars if I could. It's filled with grotesque, bizzare, intense, unique, weird, titillating and magical imagery and I love everything a
Tras
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read once in the Cretaceous Period (well, the late 80's, but close enough). I still have that original hardback, and it still engenders feelings of the warm and fuzzy kind - though these days I don't remember a great deal about the actual story. I do remember it being inventive, fascinating, and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Arielle Walker
This is a strange one to review.

This is a strange one to read.

The edition I picked up is a hefty tome of a thing, 500+ thick, too-white (almost glossy) pages with bold red numbers, loosely scattered illustrations and loud chapter announcements. Gorgeous, really, firmly and without question a book (sometimes they are so quiet and uncertain it's hard to tell). The contents are rather less determined but all the more intriguing for it.

The story twists and loops and (for coincidental lack of a bett
Cindy Newton
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story, although at times I wasn't sure. There were moments as I read this fantasy about another world, woven into a carpet, peopled with magical characters, that the line between fascination and skepticism would begin to blur, and I would feel doubt. My investment into the story would begin to recoil. This happened a couple of times at the beginning, and then again in the middle when the action would lull, but it passed quickly each time.

I found the fight to save the Fugue more i
Megan
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I decided to edit my review (from 4 stars to 5 stars) because after 2 years, I cannot get this book out of my head. It goes down in my life as one of the most memorable, intriguing, and stimulating books I have ever read. A must-read for Barker fans, or anyone who likes cross-genre books (horror, fantasy, action). Great book. Read below for my original review................

The best thing about this book is that it is able to cross genres seamlessly. With elements of fantasy, horror and science
Dreadlocksmile
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barker lets loose his imagination as he takes you on an unforgettable trip to fantastic and incredible worlds of pure fantasy. His writing style engrosses the reader deep within the pages, immersing you into a dark and wonderful land of the unbelievable. He takes you on a trip of the magical and macabre and celebrates the potential of the human imagination.

The novel will grip you from the start and keep you desperate to keep reading. It is a book of dark fantasy that leaves you breathless after
Sh3lly
Sep 28, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: added-2013-tbr
$2.99 on US Amazon April 6, 2018.

721 pages... A little light reading...
Warrengent
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second book by Clive barker and yet again was blown away by his storytelling, and imagination I am becoming a huge fan of barker and recently acquired seven other books by him.
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: uber-books
This is one of my very favorite books. I don't usually reread books, but I do with Weaveworld. It is so imaginative and fantastic - imagine the coolest, craziest rug you've ever seen. Then imagine that it's actually a world, whose magical inhabitants wove themselves into the rug to hide themselves from The Scourge, which seeks to destroy them.

A rather silly British fellow has a few of these magical people appear from a torn segment of the rug, and he's off on the most intense adventure...
Michael
290220: well i have not read any more barker to finish but perhaps that is so i do not become disappointed...

020515: this is a later addition: thinking about this some more. though i have many other works to read i will get to barker's 'imajica' soon, but then decided to rec this to all without edit my various e-friends on GR. this is not my usual literature nor philosophy. i did very much enjoy this. i hope this works for others...

first review: well. this novel, this world, this plot, all engag
Pantelis Andreou
I finally finished this.. this wasn’t an easy ride.. a more bumpy one..

I respect and love some choices Barker did here! He sure has a vast amount of imagination and i love that about him.. but i kind of prefer his horror style than this.. i know the thief of always is horror/ fantasy-ish but this.. man just couldn’t grab my attention at most parts.. plus the only character here that made an impression to me was the villain, Immacolata. The ‘heroes’ not so much..

Hopefully the next novel impresses
Rianne
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“That which is imagined can never be lost.”

Weaveworld is an epic tale of terrifying magic, beauty, and adventure. Interwoven into the story are values of love, friendships, and the importance of imagination. The story begins with Cal Mooney stumbling, or rather, falling upon the most intricately woven carpet he has ever seen, and with one glance he realizes that a whole world lies within. The carpet does, in fact, contain a world, The Fugue. The carpets protector is dying and her granddaughter S

• The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
  • Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • Dagon and Other Macabre Tales
  • The Bachman Books
  • Hellbound Hearts
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best I
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • Necroscope (Necroscope #1)
  • Shadowland
  • Undertaker's Moon
  • Ghost Story
  • The Talisman: The Road of Trials #1
  • Koko
  • The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1-3)
  • The Regulators
  • The Three Impostors
  • Lost Souls
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more