Start by marking “The Right Words at the Right Time” as Want to Read:

The Right Words at the Right Time

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  344 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
The Right Words At the Right Time
Published 2002 by Atria

To ask other readers questions about The Right Words at the Right Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Right Words at the Right Time

Em
This book was given to me as a birthday gift. It seems apropos since virtually in every book I read I'm looking for the 'right' words, the ones that will make the dime drop, with greater understanding or fresh meaning for my life. What this illustrates more than any other tome is that everyone hears the words they want to hear and shape them to fit their life. Never was this more evident as when I read two essays saying nearly the opposite point of view of the one preceding/following it, and yet ...more
Anam Cara
This book consists of stories of 3-4 page short biographies of famous people. The title "The Right Words at the Right Time" was chosen because in these biographies the subject tells what little thing caused them to direct their attentions and their life path so that they became famous.

It was interesting at first, but I realized that a lot of the people whose similar stories I would like to hear were not in this book. After a while, it became somewhat tedious to read.
Jan Rog
Given this as a gift a few years ago, I came across it and read the remaining essays I'd earlier missed. Some were profound; others will touch me more at other times in my life. No spoilers for who my favorites are because I read this completely as if I were listening in on (or perhaps engaged in) conversations on a park bench, looking over an ever changing group of people.
Duckling
The title would seem to say it all, and it probably set out with the best of intentions. While there were some 'right words' for the 'right time', there were a number of offerings that seemed decidedly irrelevant, poorly conceived, etc. which detracted from the overall tone of the book.
Donna
Not something I would normally pick up myself but my sister gave it to me and I have that compulsion to read any book someone hands me. This was actually an enjoyable quick read, 3-4 page anecdotes from famous people telling about words that were said to them that inspired their life.
Autumn
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all compilations, some are a hit and some are a miss. I was really touched by what Ms. Thomas' dad, Danny Thomas, said to her in the beginning of the book. I had no idea that he was such a good dad.
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of small anectdotes from famous people about lessons they learned because someone in their life spoke the right words at the right time to them. I really enjoyed hearing about the impact that one person can have on another...totally inspiring!
Judith Schrauder
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but that just makes some of the essays extra poignant. I skipped a couple but most of the rest were wonderful. Some were written better than others but I found the book worth reading.
Elise Swenson
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite "have to give a talk go to book". There is always something inspiring and fitting for what I need to hear.
Jeanna
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanna by: book club, Joanne Booth
Shelves: nonfic
This would have been a much better book if it had been 150 pages shorter. Or titled differently. Or both. The idea of the book is that all these people had important words spoken to them at life-changing moments. Good concept. The problem is that about 60% of them didn’t. They just had mottos to live by or interesting stories or, occasionally, a semirambling list of advice for readers.

So if some of the stories had been edited out, or if the title had set up different expectations of the book, it
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter
  • Perfect Phrases for Dealing with Difficult People: Hundreds of Ready-To-Use Phrases for Handling Conflict, Confrontations and Challenging Personalities
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • Difficult Personalities: A Practical Guide to Managing the Hurtful Behavior of Others (and Maybe Your Own)
  • Power Cues: The Subtle Science of Leading Groups, Persuading Others, and Maximizing Your Personal Impact
  • Why Courage Matters: The Way to a Braver Life
  • A Dictionary of Euphemisms: How Not to Say What You Mean
  • Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Choices That Change Lives: 15 Ways to Find More Purpose, Meaning, and Joy
  • His Name is Ron: Our Search for Justice
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • The Uncommon Wisdom of Oprah Winfrey: A Portrait in Her Own Words
  • The Inner History of Devices
  • Job Hopper: The Checkered Career of a Down-Market Dilettante
“दु:खी गरीब र असाहय को सेवा मा नै खुशी पाउछु ! साहीत्य लाई माया र असल मित्रता को सम्मान गर्छु !” 0 likes