Start by marking “Big Bouffant” as Want to Read:
Big Bouffant

Big Bouffant

Young Annabelle is distraught. There are so many boring, uniform hairstyles on the first day of school! With inspiration from her grandma and some help from her mom, Annabelle finds the perfect hairdo to help her stand out: a big bouffant. As the week unfolds, her gigantic hair brings giggles, admiration, and eventually... a whole classroom of copycats. This will not do. A ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Carolrhoda Books (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Big Bouffant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Bouffant

Melissa
Apr 19, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
OK, I'm going to be the only cranky review here.

Because I read it that Annabelle isn't being independent for the sake of independence, but rather (she says it herself on the first page) "to impress everyone." And as soon as the other girls start wearing bouffants too, Annabelle gets bored and comes up with something else to make herself stand out from the crowd.

There's nothing wrong with genuinely wanting to be a trendsetter, but I think a truly independent, confident girl would wear and do wh
Daniel Zielske
Feb 14, 2015 Daniel Zielske rated it really liked it
Kate Hosford writes a wonderful, rhyming tale of a girl seeking uniqueness and, after discovering a photograph of her grandmother's bouffant hair style, deciding she will have a bouffant. Holly Clifton-Brown's illustrations wonderfully accompany the story.
Melissa Roach
Mar 25, 2011 Melissa Roach rated it it was amazing
Description:
"Ponytails and braids! Ponytails and braids! I don't see anything but ponytails and braids! This class needs some fashion. This class needs some fun. I'll find a hairdo to impress everyone." Annabelle doesn't want the same boring hairstyle that all the other girls have. When she spies a picture of her grandma, she has the perfect idea: a big bouffant! But how can she make her style stand up? And will her classmates really be impressed with her daring 'do?

My thoughts...
The storyline
Danielle
Jan 17, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
In a world where pig tails and curls are what separate one little girl from another sweet little Annabelle wants nothing to do with what’s typical. Annabelle is a trend setter and her individualism shines through as she struggles to find just the right hairdo. Taking inspiration from her grandmother’s long lost bouffant she turns a forgotten fashion trend into something that sets her apart from the rest.

What’s not to love about this fantastic book? From the first time I read it months ago until
Jessi
Jun 13, 2011 Jessi rated it it was amazing

This fun story provides a positive message about being yourself. Annabelle finds a way to express her unique personality through her hairstyle. This determined little girl gets it in her head to have a bouffant, and she sticks with her wish despite everyone's efforts to get her to choose something more normal and run-of-the-mill. Even after she sets a new trend, she still wants to have a fresh, new wardrobe idea so that she's not just one of many. This also speaks to the importance that each chi
Danyelle Ferguson
Jan 04, 2011 Danyelle Ferguson rated it really liked it
Big Bouffant is the story of a precocious little girl who doesn't want to look like the other girls in her class. Annabelle wants to be an original, a one-of-a-kind. Having two daughters - and being quite the girly-girl myself - I found this story delightful. Even my two boys laughed at some of Annabelle's antics as she tried to get just the hairstyle she wanted. We loved the illustrations and rhymes. The story had a very natural flow and voice that made it easy to add fun voice inflections. Som ...more
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I really liked the pictures and how they brought the story to life. My kids liked the rhymes. I'd like to think it's because I read it with such passion! I liked how she was willing to work out her hair problem on her own, even when she didn't get the results she wanted (a mess). I really loved how the whole class was in on it, even the teacher and the boys. Pretty manly to rock a bouffant if you ask me!

As a parent, I didn't really care for Annabelles reasons for being different. I don't know. A
Savi Malfitano
Mar 28, 2011 Savi Malfitano rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids of all ages
Recommended to Savi by: Reviewed for netGalley
This is the precious story of Annabelle and her desire to stand out! All the girls in class are sporting, "Ponytails and braids!" and Annabelle is itching to be different. She discovers a picture of her grandmother and is in awe of her big bouffant! She decides right away that this is the style she needs and begins her quest to create the biggest bouffant there is. At first Annabelle tries to achieve her look with household ingredients, pretty hilarious, until Mom volunteers to help her. The nex ...more
Heidi
May 21, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
Annabelle wants to be noticed. Her first day of school she realizes that all the girls have the same types of hairdo, ponytails and braids. At home, she sees the picture of her grandmother's bouffant and decides to try it for her face. She tries to create a bouffant by herself using butter and other ingredients, finally her mother helps and she does indeed get her classmates attention. Once all the girls are wearing bouffants however, Annabelle decides that to be unique she needs to try somethin ...more
babyhippoface
Oct 25, 2010 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Spunky Annabelle does not want to look like every other girl in her class--their hairstyles are so ordinary and unimaginative! She convinces her mother to give her the most fabulous hairstyle she can think of--a big, big bouffant! Her classmates' initial skepticism turns to interest, then to admiration, and soon every member of her class--even each boy--is sporting a bouffant. Now how will Annabelle stand out from the crowd? Young girls especially will enjoy this colorful look at non-conformity ...more
Nina
Dec 17, 2010 Nina rated it really liked it
I love this picture book. I want all my nieces to read this. Annabelle is a fun little girl who wants to be different from all the other girls from her class. She’s almost as a little Carrie Bradshaw (SATC) who loves fashion and standing out. The steps Annabelle takes to come up with something new is such fun.

The story is filled with colourful pictures that truly stand out almost as Annabelle herself. Just take a look at that wonderful cover and you immediately get the feeling of how the book i
Tracey
Dec 30, 2010 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Children's picture book. [reviewed from egalley.] Adorable story about a little girl who eschews the usual ponytails and braids in favor of something different: "Oh please, Mom, please, / can I have a bouffant? / A big bouffant is / all I really want!" The author smoothly incorporates new vocabulary into the kid-friendly rhymes: "Annabelle smeared butter and honey on her head. / She p u l l e d and she piled until her face turned red. / When she leaned to the left, her hair slithered right, / bu ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Annabelle is tired of the same old hairdo's. All of the girls have ponytails and braids, she wants to be different.

She sees a picture of her grandmother with a bouffant, and decides it is the hairdo for her. She experiments with a variety of ingredients to come up with the perfect do, but her efforts don't work out to well. She needs help.

At first the kids make fun, but she becomes a trendsetter.

I love this story of independence. I think it is great to teach children to think for themselves and
Rachel
Mar 14, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was such an adorable and hilarious book about fashion and self-expression. When Annabelle enters the classroom for the first day, she becomes frustrated when she sees that all the girls are wearing the same boring hairstyle. She wants something different, and when she goes home, she sees the perfect solution in an old hairstyle of her grandma's, the bouffant. This book radiates with bright colors and is fashionably fabulous enough to attract Fancy Nancy fans. The simple rhyming text makes i ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 22, 2011 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Annabelle is bored with the boring way the girls in her class do their hair each morning. “Ponytails and braids! Ponytails and braids!” she moans. “I don’t see anything but ponytails and braids!”

She decides to make a hairdo to top everyone; she decides to make her hair into a bouffant.

When everyone copies her, she switches gears and turns to designing a more imaginative dress.

“Annabelle went home and slumped on her bed.

‘My bouffant’s so boring---
I want something new instead!’
She thought very har
Kate
Apr 17, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
I liked this book...I can see it being a great read for just the right little girl. Still, it's kind of like a more sophisticated "Fancy Nancy", I think the topic is too specific. Girls who don't die for fashion, etc. just wouldn't care. Plus, the plot is so obvious. The fact that the girls teased her before immitating her style is a bit of a tired trope. I think it would have been much more interesting if the book had taken a more interesting path.
Shelli
Mar 04, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I can admire any person who wants to stand out a bit with their hair or clothing choices. Annabelle is one of those girls! After attending the first day of school she realizes that all the girls wear their hair in the same basic one or two ways. Inspired by a photograph of her grandmother Annabelle tries to create art with her hair... and when that is a sticky mess she just goes for the bouffant.
Kati
Jan 17, 2011 Kati rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely cute book. Annabelle doesn't want to have the same old boring pig tails that all the other girls in her class have. When she sees a picture of her grandmother with a bouffant hairdo, she decides that is the hairdo she wants to try! Then when all the other girls in her class copy her, she decides her bouffant is kinda boring, so Annabelle comes up with another way to be unique.
Review based on an ARC copy from NetGalley.
Chantale Pard
Aug 08, 2013 Chantale Pard rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the illustrations, but the wording and timing of this book just missed the mark for me. Also, I feel the word "bouffant" is a bit of a vocabulary reach for most children at a picture book age level - it would have made sense if, during the story, we quickly saw when/how Annabelle learned the word for this hairstyle. Some of the rhymes flowed great, but on other pages it felt like there was just one too many syllables.
Barbara
May 23, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Annabelle looks around at her classmates, and they all look the same--even down to their hairstyles. Bored with thinking, acting, and looking the same as everyone else, she draws inspiration from a family photo for her very own look. Of course, despite the shock that this different way of wearing her hair causes at first, eventually everyone else starts to copy her, leaving Annabelle to look for some other way to be different. It's all great fun, and the illustrations fit the text perfectly.
Nesa
Dec 19, 2011 Nesa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, silly
This is a whimsical story that features a protagonist that is not afraid to be an individual. The story rhymes rather well but there are times it seems forced and a little bit awkward. Overall, though, I liked the book a lot. I would pair this story with Robert Munsch's book, Stephanie's Ponytail, for a “Mane Event” story time. :-D
Angie
Jun 20, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Ever so cute. Don't be afraid to be yourself. Yes, it's been done before and the rhymes are not always top-notch. It's the general idea of a current children's book discussing bouffants of all things ... and the ILLUSTRATIONS. LOVE the little details in the different children in the story. And in Annabelle's hair. ;]
Bethe
Sep 21, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
This book is charming, wish the rhymes and rhythm were less awkward, that would bring the stars to a full 4. The illustrations are vibrant, cute and fun; love the little details but found some of the shadowing distracting.

WriteTheVision
Sep 17, 2016 WriteTheVision rated it liked it
The beauty in being original, different, unique... a leader rather than a follower. Very cute story and always timely concept. I read it to my students during the first week of school, and they loved it.
Christine Turner
May 10, 2012 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: individuality, hair

Fed up with the unbearably dull hairstyles of her classmates, Annabelle wrangles her hair into a giant bouffant hairdo to be different--until her new style becomes the trend to follow!

Subjects

Hairstyles -- Juvenile fiction.

Individuality -- Juvenile fiction
Nancy Jo Lambert
Mar 04, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
Being yourself and embracing individualism is certainly not a new message. However, this book delivers that message is a rhyming, beautifully illustrated, and fun package! Kids will love to see this book and hear it read aloud!
Kati Polodna
Apr 06, 2016 Kati Polodna rated it really liked it
As a lady who likes her hair to look good, this book delighted me.
Mary Lee
Jun 04, 2011 Mary Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla11, picture-book
Be brave enough to be unique.
Lila Brantley
Jul 21, 2011 Lila Brantley rated it really liked it
Bouffants really are timeless! Merrick wasn't really interested in this book. It was definitely on the "girly" side. The artwork is awesome though, and I enjoyed the rhymes. pretty good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Chilly Milly Moo
  • Ten Rules You Absolutely Must Not Break if You Want to Survive the School Bus
  • Chicken Butt's Back!
  • Argus
  • Hogwash! (Wilson, Karma)
  • Ella Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair
  • Noodle & Lou
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel