Start by marking “A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)

A Murder Is Announced

(Miss Marple #5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  43,841 ratings  ·  2,162 reviews
The villagers of Chipping Cleghorn are agog with curiosity when the Gazette advertises “A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks at 6.30 p.m.”

A childish practical joke? Or a spiteful hoax? Unable to resist the mysterious invitation, the locals arrive at Little Paddocks at the appointed time when, without warning, the lights go o
Published April 12th 2011 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1950)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder Is Announced, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Abbey I thought it was a misprint :D
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Clara I agree with all these answers. I think she was too scared that she'd get caught if she just simply "popped " him off as you say. She was a prominent …moreI agree with all these answers. I think she was too scared that she'd get caught if she just simply "popped " him off as you say. She was a prominent citizen and would have been noticed walking around.(less)

·  43,841 ratings  ·  2,162 reviews

Start your review of A Murder Is Announced (Miss Marple, #5)
Madeline
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By this point, I have given up trying to play Guess The Culprit with Agatha Christie mysteries. It's just not possible. She's like a magician who tells an audience that she's going to make a coin disappear and reappear. The coin disappears, and she tells you to watch her right hand. You, who have seen magic shows before, think "Aha! Misdirection! I'll watch her left hand, and then I'll see how the trick is done." So you're watching her left hand, and everyone else is watching her right hand, and ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Murder is Announced (Miss Marple #5), first published in the UK by the Collins Crim Club in June 1950.
Characters: Miss Jane Marple, the Inspector and vicar's wife Bunch, Swiss hotel clerk Rudi, Miss Letitia Blackstone houses scatty Dora, Cousins Julia and Patrick, gardener widow Phillipa, and paranoid cook Mitzi.
Abstract: Villagers expect a fun game after a Gazette announcement of murder, but when lights flash off, shots ring out, and a masked burglar falls dead, the Inspector and vicar's wife
Amalia Gavea
‘’People with a grudge against the world are always dangerous.’’

An idyllic village in the English countryside is waking up, its quirky residents about to start their day with their favourite newspaper, where an invitation to murder is waiting for them. Can you think of anything more interesting? Leticia, the ‘’queen’’ of the village, is completely unaware of the play supposedly staged in her house, but what the heck, let’s go with the flow. And a murder does take place but not in the way eve
James
So... a murder is listed in a newspaper... foretelling it will happen at a certain date and time. Is it possible? Yes. Does it happen? You'll just have to read it. Christie at her best... love her stories. love the concept. Well-written. I'm on a kick to go back and read all the Poirot's and Marple's this year! The best part about this one is the murder takes forever to happen... and you wonder what the real mystery is for so long. I can imagine watching the clock waiting but not knowing what to ...more
Melindam
I prefer Poirot-novels to Marple ones, but this book has always been in the Top 5 on my Agatha Christie favourites list.

This time I actually put myself the question "why".
It is NOT because of the investigation or the solution of the crime, even though it is very well done in the classic Agatha Christie style: red herrings are there to lead you astray; real clues are hidden in plain sight and yet elude you completely.

The answer is characterization, which is perfect: concise and revealing. Dame
Yun
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In A Murder Is Announced, a notice appears in the local papers stating the time and location of a murder. The neighbors, thinking it was all great fun, show up en masse. When a murder actually happens and it becomes clear this is no game, fear quickly takes over. In steps old, fussy, adorable Mrs. Marple, with her astute observations and keen awareness of human nature.

This story is so fun and quintessentially Agatha Christie--a locked room mystery, a handful of suspects, and plenty of red herrin
carol.
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christie, period mystery, cozys

Taken from my blog post: https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2014/...

I grew up on Christie. At the time, I was limited to whatever my local library branch physically had on the shelves, so it took awhile to work my way through her bibliography, and even now, I’m not sure I’ve read all of her books. There was that pesky problem of British and American editions with separate titles, leaving me hopelessly confused about what I’ve read. Thankfully, A Murder is Announced had the same title in both editio
Adrian
Review to follow when I can get to my laptop :)

Right I now have access to a proper keyboard, so I can write my review. Now this book to me was heading for 5 stars, until one particular incident (view spoiler).
That apart it was an excellent mys
Anne
I FIGURED IT OUT!
Yess. I finally got one right!

description

Ok, the gist is that there is an advertisement in the local paper to come to Letitia Blacklock's house for a Murder that evening. Of course, they all suppose that it's one of those Murder Parties where they play as victims and detectives.
So when a stranger shows up threatening to rob them and the lights go out? Well, no one is prepared to find the would-be robber dead and Letitia grazed by a bullet!
Now the hunt is one to discover who wants Letiti
Susan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1950, this is one of my favourite Miss Marple mysteries. It is set in the small village of Chipping Cleghorn, which is not unlike St Mary Mead, with its cast of local characters and, of course, a local newspaper – which is delivered every Friday. On Friday, October 29th, the paper is perused by the villagers, who discover an odd message in the Personal column: “A Murder is Announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th at Little Paddocks at 6:30pm. Friends please accept this ...more
Hamad
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Of course, if you’ve made up your mind about it, you’ll find an answer to everything.”

🌟 Agatha’s book are my escape into the crime world when I want something I am pretty sure I will like! This is my second book in the Miss Marple series and I definitely liked it more than the first but I think I am a bigger fan of Poirot as he is more involved in the crime usually!

🌟 The idea of this book is that a murder is announced in the local newspaper and pe
Sandeep
"A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 p.m. Friends accept this, the only intimation.”

This was exactly what an advertisement read in the local newspaper of Chipping Cleghorn on the morning of October 29th. The residents of Chipping Cleghorn, once having read this announcement, think that this must be a “murder game” played at a party or a sick joke.
The residents begin to arrive and at exactly 6:30, the lights are turned off. A person with
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
3.5★

I seem to be out of synch with most of Christie's other fans, as, in spite of the very original scene setting beginning, I don't consider this one of The Divine Christie's better works.

Other than the beginning, the other pluses were some great dialogue, learning more about life in wartime Britain. and the unintentionally hilarious mentions of old pussies!

"Ye Gods and Little Fishes," said Sir Henry, "can it be? George, it's my own particular, one and only four starred Pussy. The super Pussy
Stephanie Anze
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
"A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks at 6:30 p.m. Friends please accept this, this only intimation."

Such is the ad that runs in the local gazette in the village of Chipping Cleghorn. Little Paddocks is the property owned by Miss Letitia Blacklock, a house she lives in with one of her dearest friends, two young cousins, her gardener and her cook. Everyone is shocked by the ad and denies having anything to with it. Still, Miss Blacklock feels compe
Vikas Singh
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
A Miss Marple story which has "delicious death" as its central plot. Once again Agatha Christie comes up with a superb plot for her 50th novel. The beginning i quite different from her other stories but intriguing. Though limited to a few characters, the reader is left guessing till the end who the murderer was. Delightful read
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
There is nothing like settling down with an Agatha Christie, pots of tea and hot scones in the midst of winter storms....(Had pots of tea, but no scones unfortunately).

“A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October the thirteenth, at Little Paddocks – at six-thirty p.m.” reads the advert in the local paper. The residents of Chipping Cleghorn are expecting a game of murder, but get a little more than they bargained for.

I have quite given up trying to fathom who is guilty when readi
Dannii Elle
A murder is announced! The local newspaper for Chipping Cleghorn bears a notice that a murder shall take place at 6.30pm sharp, on Friday 29th October. Curiosity is rife but few take this grave pronouncement very seriously and so all flock to the murder site, in the hopes of witnessing revelry or, at the least, the culprit for this darkly humorous joke. Instead they do, in fact, find themselves all witness to a murder. And one they cannot say they weren't warned for.

This began in the most intrig
Rachel Hall
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Murder is Announced is the fifth story to feature Miss Marple and the fiftieth novel that Agatha Christie published and the post-war era is very much in evidence in the picturesque village of Chipping Cleghorn which is home to many an elderly spinster. The weekly publication of “the Gazette”, the local newspaper of Chipping Cleghorn, and primarily the Personal column is always a guaranteed must read in order to keep up to the minute on the potential for local gossip, services wanted and items ...more
Lotte
Really enjoyed this one! Agatha Christie at her best.
Janete
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Actually, 3,5 stars, because I expected more from this book. I read this book in my own language in just one sitting.
Crime Addict Sifat
Fantastic murder puzzle novel. I would suggest it to mystery readers. Miss Jane Marple however appears late in the show and has little to contribute in this case. Everything begins with A notice, that shows up in the paper of a small English town, Chipping Cleghorn: "A murder is reported and will happen on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 p.m. Companions acknowledge this, the main implication." This comes as an astonishment to Letitia Blacklock, proprietor of Little Paddocks, as ...more
Sarah D
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remember that rushing feeling in the good old days when you'd pick up the receiver of your kitchen phone and dangle it so that all the knots in the cord would come undone?

I am an avid reader of Agatha Christie. I mean, you'd think after reading over half of her works, I'd be able to tell who the culprit is and I did (by the third guess, but still)
However, the best thing about Agatha Christie, it's not just about finding out who the culprit is! It's about unraveling her wonderful plot of twists
BrokenTune
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"A murder is announced and will take place on Friday, October 29th, at Little Paddocks, at 6:30 p.m. Friends accept this, the only intimation."

Little Paddocks is set in a typical village in the English countryside, where people enjoy the quiet life, away from the hustle and bustle of bigger towns, and where everyone knows everything that is going on in the lives of their neighbours. Or do they?

“In an English village, you turn over a stone and have no idea what will crawl out.”

I have read A Murde
Ashley
Once again guessed the murderer by complete accident. I'm the mystery reader equivalent of those characters you often see in farces who are complete idiots (usually lovable) and bumble about doing everything so wrong they come back around and get everything right.

I really enjoyed this book, which was apparently Christie's 50th (although publishers had to count a book of short stories to make this true, and they really wanted to, because publicists never change). It starts out kind of like a gam
Moira Russell
This totally has the best back jacket copy ever:

Then, as the clock chimed 6:30, the room went dark.

A gun exploded!

A body fell!

A woman screamed!

When the lights went on, a man was found lying on the floor. He was wrapped in a black cloak. He wore a black mask and he lay in a pool of blood -- dead.

(Just in case you weren't quite sure. -- DEAD.)

There had been thirteen people in the room -- thirteen witnesses who might have identified the killer.

OH BOY. These are like little deadlies.
Fiona
A reread for work. Happy new year, everyone.

I love Miss Marple for several reasons: most notably because she is a rural English lady with a strong sense of morality, who knits things and notices things, and she has been a role model of mine for at least a decade.

I love this book in particular, partly because it's an extremely well-written example of its genre, but mostly because as far as I can recall, it's the first book I ever read that made me think, "Huh. Those characters are clearly lesbian
Luffy
Here is the book that made me guess the murderer for the first time ever. It's a classic and not a dime novel, and I'm glad for that. Other people too have guessed correctly and in hindsight I must say that the finale, with Miss Marple hiding and using her voice, is slightly artificial, clumsy and forced. Nevertheless most of the book is vintage Christie, and this book pushed me to read more and all of the Marpel stories. P.S Miss Murgatroyd and Hinchcliffe are "the L word".
Jennifer Girardin
A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie is a classic cozy mystery with diversely interesting characters, a quick and gripping plot, and a unique story line set in the perfectly quiet English village of Chipping Cleghorn---until a murder announcement is placed into the local newspaper, casually inviting the entire village to Letty Blacklock’s home for an evening of dry sherry and murder.
Naturally everyone presumes that the advertisement was someone’s idea of fun, but when the body of Swiss rece
Nandakishore Varma
A really intriguing mystery, which uses a plot device which Christie has used in many stories - yet it will be difficult to spot it. I especially loved the crucial sentence which would change its meaning based on which word the stress was put.
Obsidian
What a great look at the Miss Marple series. This one has an interesting cast of characters, Miss Marple showing everyone up, and references to characters that many in the series should know by now, such as Sir Henry Clithering. Due to Miss Marple's connection to Sir Henry and just being around the area, she gets pulled in to investigate when a supposed murder party goes wrong and then two more people die afterwards.

The book begins when residents of Chipping Cleghorn read about an announcement

• The Unexpected Guest
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Charles Paris: A Doubtful Death: A BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisation
  • 如無頭作祟之物
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • Spider's Web
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Miss Marple (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1)
  • The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2)
  • The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Moving Finger (Miss Marple, #4)
  • They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple, #6)
  • A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7)
  • 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple, #10)
  • At Bertram's Hotel (Miss Marple, #11)