Start by marking “Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life” as Want to Read:
Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life

Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,017 ratings  ·  137 reviews
Combining your body’s Paleolithic needs with modern nutritional and medical research for complete mind-body wellness

• Provides sustainable diet strategies to curb sugar cravings, promote fat burning and weight loss, reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep and moods, increase energy and immunity, and enhance memory and brain function

• Shows how our modern diet leads to
Published May 27th 2011 by Healing Arts Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Primal Body, Primal Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primal Body, Primal Mind

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life
Jodi
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Finally a book I can unreservedly recommend! I've been very interested in books on diet for a while now, but this one really stood out. It doesn't miss out anything vital nor have anything in it that is so wrong that unreservedly recommending it is difficult. It's so well done and the most complete book on diet I have found so far.

This book is a pretty good summary/amalgamation of many of the very best books on diet I have found, such as Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
Ron
Sep 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed in the book. If you are looking for a "food religion" book you might like it. The analogy I told others was that she goes into excruciating detail about the evils of yellow and the at the end she would summarize by saying that "see I have proven yellow is bad. - just like that awful green and purple". If she had stuck to the science on carbs, insulin, corn, etc it would have been fine but her tirades on GMO's, the wireless waves from your home Internet router and other ...more
Brittney
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall this book is a must read. For starters, it's extremely thorough and Gedgaudas is very knowledgeable on nutrition, disease and medication - and it's effects on the body. She does a great job explaining why sugar should be avoided at all costs and why grains are simply not necessary and why it makes sense to avoid them completely. I also liked how she explained why protein should take a moderate place in our diet; she does a great job expressing that we're brainwashed into thinking we need ...more
Carol
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about this book.
The author does seem to know a lot about nutrition and diet-related medical issues.
Some of the topics she covers are ones that I have seen addressed elsewhere before, such as the dubious nature of viewing cholesterol levels as an ironclad guide to heart health, and the overprescription of statins.
Some of the topics are new to me, such as the chemical breakdown of glutein and how it may affect the body.

I agree with the author that sugar is a damaging and
Marie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have a lot of criticism for this book already and I am on page 22. She is making a lot of generalizations about Hunter and gather lifestyles that she is not substantiating. When I look to her sources they are only other articles and books about the paleo diet and not books about anthropology and archaeology. I am also skeptical of her nutrition claims agaisnt all grains. I know plenty of ancedotal evidence that shows that diets high in healthy grains, lean meats, accompained by active ...more
ryn
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition
advocates a very-low-carb or ketogenic diet. good on protein & fat functions in the body. good info on gluten, especially testing and psychological/emotional connections, in particular the ADHD chapter.

poor rating for two reasons: first, the anthropology is poor and the "ketosis for everyone" approach is unfounded; second, because the writing and tone are relentlessly alarmist, breathless, and snarky, and it gets old fast.
Lana
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to say about this book. It's a big one, a doozy, and there were times I thought I'd reach the conclusion of my natural life before I finished it.

The information it contains is THOROUGH. Ms. Gedgaudas gives a comprehensive unpacking of nutrition, both how conventional wisdom is deeply flawed, and how a "Paleo/Primal" lifestyle can be beneficial.

That said, she veered sharply into fear mongering at times. One of the beginning chapters on gluten is absolutely terrifying. Basically:
Fossil Resin
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Skimmed a lot, this one's long. Helped cement my commitment...sugar=cancer! But such tasty cancer...
Nikki
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Ufda! For me this book was a bit repetitive and dictionary like and a lot of doom and gloom, specially if you are a vegetarian/vegan, or if you like sugar, carbs, eating out, drinking alcohol, being on your cell phone, drinking not pure water, coffee, caffeine, desserts, having any fun in life and also if you like rainbows, jk. On a side note: she does recommend working out less, eating more butter and being in the sun more. Beach vacays for all! minus the pina coldas! The author is a bit I am ...more
Joshua Buhs
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, belly
Some 120 years ago, apologizing for putting into a market already glutted with them yet another book on eclipses, the Reverend William Lynn demured, "Is this not a little one?"

Gedgaudus cannot even take refuge in that. Her book is thick. And the question is, why?

Anyone who pays a whit of attention to American diet books and recommended eating practices knows that over the last thirty years those claiming that the evil in the American diet is not fat but processed carbohydrates have been gaining
Sue Francisco
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is by far the best book I have read on nutrition out of the 23 books I have read on the subject. I read the forwards first and then the last chapter and appendices because I wanted the bottom line before I got into all the details. I then started on chapter 14 and read to chapter 23 and was wowed. I then started at chapter 1 and read to chapter 13. The first 4 chapters are pretty dry and were not terribly interesting to me. From chapter 5 on I was hooked and looking forward to reading more. ...more
Hdawg
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Almost everything about this book is phenomenally dissected with a scrupulous and scientific eye. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is concerned about their current state of health.

However, I don't agree with Nora's perspective regarding longevity (chapter 22). Her material is clearly dated. Nora is a staunch believer that longevity is inexpicibly linked to lower insulin levels, low carbohydrate intake, and low calorie consumption, and states a 2009 study that "proves it." She goes into
Robin Anderson
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
While there are some over-generalizations in this book, I found it to be substantially a good guide to modern nutrition. I have followed her diet recommendations for five weeks, as an experiment, and have lost nine pounds. I no longer feel hungry all of the time, and I am sleeping better. My normally clogged head is clear. So, I am grateful to her for her efforts. I have since joined the Weston A. Price Foundation, which she recommends and am eating grass-fed, grass-finished meat, organic ...more
Steve Harrison
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A superb book about how our food should be medicine instead of poison. And a damning indictment of the food industry.

I have been on an adapted paleo diet for a couple of years and have never felt better in my life, but Primal Body, Primal Mind has inspired me to go even further in maintaining and improving my health.

A book everyone should read!
Jane Botten
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in living the healthiest life, this is a great book. Nora advises on household chemicals, diet, health etc. I was a little doubtful about some of her alternative information, but I did learn loads from this book.
Suzy Meyer
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Read this book and be healthy. Or regain health for a sickened body. I did.
There's a radiance to this bio-electric-chemical-mechanical wonder that we each walk around in, and it's been in the works for hundreds of thousands of years. (Or a million or more?) Our bodies don't 'get' bread, pizza, purple pills or pop. It gets no real nutrition from grains and sugar, those cheap, addictive, government-subsidized foods full of chemicals.

The author, Nora Gedgaudus, unlike me, isn't pissed off about
Kenneth
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a long time follower of paleo but I was disappointed with this book. It is so overly prescriptive and detailed in what we should eat, do, etc. that very few people can actually follow it. She literally has you taking hundreds of supplements. Eat only grass fed beef, prepare nuts a specific way, no GMO foods or wifi. It goes on and on. How can paleo/LCHF ever be the predominant way people eat with all these rules and regulations? Just eat the right foods and avoid the wrong foods 90%+ of the ...more
Ciro
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most convincing and thoroughly researched book on the Paleo and Keto diets. It made me a believer. Get rid of carbs, eat grass fed, locally sourced, non-GMO meats and animal products. Get vigilant about your health and reject the modern doctors and health charlatans that keep you fat, sick and happy.
Becky
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually can’t believe I read this book straight through. It was surprisingly readable and learned so much. Plenty to be critical of but lots of valuable new mental models of health and nutrition in here. Grateful for having read it.
Raymond Nazon
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must have book for anyone who cares about nutrition. This more of a reference book with great resources. This is the book is one of the reason I could be comfortable with my all meat diet / Primal diet and thriving because of it.
Daniel Green
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Very detailed as to the reason why we should go back to the way we used to eat. This Keto diet approach made me change from a Paleo diet to Keto. It is much more healthier way to eat and I lost another 20lbs as well.
Simone
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Gedgaudas is knowledgeable and presents well reasoned and documented arguments for consuming a diet high in quality fat. My only caveat in regards to this book is that it is a bit repititious in driving home the point. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.
Tyler Chism
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very thorough look at what we as humans most likely adapted to eat.
Kinna Blue
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is saving my life!
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Great topic, good information
Jessie
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I did not finish this book. But did glean through it and took some quick notes.
Erin McDonnell-Jones
Not a lot of personality— it jumps right into science and it isn’t organized super well. It jumps from topic to topic. But it’s a good review of important information.
Adam Ashton
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Some good content, but I felt there a little too much science that was way over my head. I understand it had to be in there as proof as some of these suggestions are against the norm. To summarise: carbs are very bad, natural fats are good.
Suzanne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I actually didn't finish this book. From what I did read, Gedgaudas made points that will stick with me the rest of my life. I got it- low carbohydrate is the way to go. I already figured some of that out when I realized my depression vanished when I went squeaky clean Paleo. The benefits of taking the next step and go Ketogenic became all the more clear with her explanations.
Lisa
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best book on diet, health and nutrition I've ever read. You can tell by reading this book that Nora is super passionate about helping others. She was way ahead of her time. First edition in 2009. Now many of the concepts and information in the book are mainstream. I changed my diet after reading this book and it has literally saved my life!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Food You Were Designed to Eat
  • The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram Your Genes for Effortless Weight Loss, Vibrant Health, and Boundless Energy
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
  • Your Personal Paleo Code: The 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Reverse Disease, and Stay Fit and Healthy for Life
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
  • Wheat Belly Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
“And here’s the kicker: food manufacturers are using a gasoline additive known as hexane to process soy products (and some vegetable oils). Soybeans are soaked in large vats of hexane to assist in the extraction of substances such as protein and oils from them. An independent lab has found hexane residue in soy-based foods, but the FDA does not require any testing for hexane, even in baby foods. It is used by the food industry because it is cheap to do so and because the FDA lets them get away with it. The soy industry is incredibly powerful and influential. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency lists hexane, incidentally, as a hazardous chemical.” 1 likes
“The bottom line is that we had access to most, if not all, of our dietary or physiological requirements long before the agricultural revolution, and those requirements have not changed. Diets” 1 likes