Start by marking “Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)

Blindsighted

(Grant County #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  71,161 ratings  ·  3,279 reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Karin Slaughter, the first novel in her acclaimed Grant County Series.

Interweaving knife-edge tension, superb characterization, and an evocative milieu, this thrilling novel of dark suspense, set in rural Grant County, Georgia, introduces engaging pediatrician and coroner, Dr. Sara Linton.

A sadistic rapist turned killer is terrorizing
Published May 31st 2011 by Harper (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Blindsighted, please sign up.
Tiff I would suggest Tana French's Murder Squad series. I did the opposite and read her books first and when I was looking for something similar I found Ka…moreI would suggest Tana French's Murder Squad series. I did the opposite and read her books first and when I was looking for something similar I found Karin Slaughter.(less)

·  71,161 ratings  ·  3,279 reviews

Start your review of Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
Melissa
I don’t find myself in this situation often enough, attempting to put my thoughts on display for a book—and series—that I’ve not only adored for years, but read countless times. Let’s be honest rereads have been an infrequent occurrence in my world. My best guess at the number of trips I’ve made to Grant County over the years though, six? Yeah, I’m going with six, at least.

While I was the furthest thing from blindsided, I remembered about 98.99% of the plot going in, I still relished every sing
Meredith
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
4.5 Stars

Thank you Karin Slaughter for restoring my faith in thrillers!

The thrillers I have been reading lately have been sub-par. I was considering taking a break from the genre, but then I read Blindsighted and it reminded me why I love thrillers. This book is what a thriller should be: Dark, multilayered, suspenseful and so much more. It is gruesome and brutal and there is a level of depravity that made me squirm. I loved both Sara and Jeffrey’s characters. Their voices are strong and their
Wendy Darling
If you love gritty suspense thrillers, you really must give Karin Slaughter a try. The forensics, the police work, etc are all exceptionally well done, and her characters are fantastic. I'm copying the rest below from my review of Fallen, the eleventh book in the series.

For anyone who is interested in checking out this series, please note that it's important to read them in order since the author wrote two separate series that eventually merge. Here's the order in which they should be read:

Gran
Matthew
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery, audio, library
I am torn on this one and I am erring on the side of giving the author the benefit of the doubt as it was her first book. It definitely felt like a first effort. (Not that I could do better if I was to try). So, 3 stars for Blindsighted.

The plot was riveting and held my interest. At times, it was very extreme (if fictional violence against women bothers you STAY AWAY), but if you can handle the extreme, the details make it all the more suspenseful.

I felt a bit like some of the plot elements and
Chelsea Humphrey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There's something to be said for rereading a book you loved immensely. While I obviously knew "who did it" this go around, it was really a special experience that allowed me to soak up the wonderful characters and marinate in all the feels from these fine southern folks that I haven't spent time with in many moons. Clearly the first go around I was more focused on picking up clues and solving the crime, but this time felt different; it was laid back and easygoing. Gone was the urgent, rushed sen ...more
Norma
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well after reading BLINDSIGHTED I now consider myself to be a full-blown KARIN SLAUGHTER fan! This is only the second book I have read by her and the first book in her Grant County Series which I thoroughly enjoyed. So this definitely will not be my last and I think that I will probably find myself binge reading the rest of the books in this series.

BLINDSIGHTED by KARIN SLAUGHTER is a gritty, edgy, engrossing, and suspenseful mystery / thriller that had me interested enough to turn those pages a
Julie
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter is a 2015 Harper publication.

This is the first book in the Grant County series, which was originally published way back in 2002. I have read this book before, a long time ago, before Goodreads had even launched.

However, I decided to start the Grant County series over, despite having read a few of them already. It’s a long story, but basically, I got some of the Grant County books mixed up with the Will Trent series, which caused a great deal of confusion, for me
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was good!! There are some graphic parts but you can skim it.

Happy Reading! 🎃

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Beverly
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter, having read Blindsighted a while ago, I thought I should give it a reread. I remembered it, of course, the graphic violence stayed with me. At the time I only gave it 3 stars, because those horrific images (things I have never heard of in any horror movie or book before, I'll admit I don't read that much of the genre), so that's why I gave it those measly amount of stars, but having devoured this in a few hours, I know I was gobsmacke ...more
Debra
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my first book by Slaughter. I read this book after reading Cop town and Pretty Girls and now I am hooked. Slaughter has quickly become one of my favorite mystery writers. She is a gritty and intelligent writer. I love the research she puts into her books. Having a background in Forensics, I really appreciate her books and the research she puts into this.

In Blindsighted, a professor is found murdered in a restaurant. Her Murder hits very close to home to Sara, who is the town's Pedia
Lawyer
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Uhmmm...
Recommended to Lawyer by: I confess it was a Nook Find for $1.99
Blindsighted: Karin Slaughter's first Sara Linton novel

And the publishers announce:

First there was Patricia Cornwell!

photo PatriciaCornwell_zps78f8f3a9.jpg

THEN there was Kathy Reichs!

photo bones_reichs_388_zpsd5ca45bd.jpg

NOW GET READY FOR KARIN SLAUGHTER!

photo KarinSlaughter_zps1fcf68e9.jpg
Karin Slaughter

Welcome to Grant County, Georgia. Don't look for it on a Georgia map. It isn't there. And in this fictional County, there's a fictional town. It's a small town called Heartsdale, somewhere around Madison, but before you hit Augusta.

Eddie Linton and Daughters is a plumbing company in town. But
Sue
"Blindsighted" by Karin Slaughter, is the first book in the Grant County Series. If you love reading gritty suspense thrillers, you really must give Karin Slaughter a try. Karin Slaughter books are not for the faint of heart. Being a avid reader of mystery/suspense thrillers, this is the most graphic book I have read in this category.
The Forensics, the police work, etc are all exceptionally well done, and her characters are involving.

A small Georgia town erupts in panic when a young college pro
Mo
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Ms Slaughter's debut novel so maybe I should cut her some slack. I don't know what it was about it that just did not grab me. Thought the main characters were quite uninspiring and boring. There was no romance as such in the book. Some of the scenes were quite gruesome. A bit OTT and I thought she was trying to "shock" readers too much.

My main reason for starting this series is that one of the characters, Sara Linton, appears in the Will Trent series, which I was enjoying very much.

Might
Arna
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty and compelling in the way Karin Slaughter does best!

A small Georgia town erupts in panic when a young college professor is found brutally murdered. Sara Linton, the towns paediatrician and part time coroner holds the key to finding the one responsible. ✨

This is the first book in the Grant County series and what a start it was 😍 I liked that it is a well rounded book and you don’t necessarily have to pick the next one to find out what happens.

I did struggle with keeping up with the whole
Brenda
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Simply amazing, that this was Karin Slaughters' debut 16 years ago!!! If it weren't for my friend Christine recommending this to me I may have overlooked it altogether. Thank you, Christine! Now I understand why this author has the following she does (including myself). In case you're wondering, I will be binge reading the rest of the 'Grant County" series then on to 'Will Trent'.
Karina
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Karin Slaughter! What a name to your legacy. Perfect name for the panic and horrid imagery you provoke in the reader.

For sensitive people there is rape, sodomy, brutality, racism, religious text in the killings.... She is not for everyone.

I have started working my way backward in this series. It is all starting to make sense, although her books are good enough to be standalones. I like and dislike Lena at the same time. I want Jeffery and Sarah to be together again!! It's complicated people
Ray Daniel
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hardly every rank a book with five stars. To get there the book needs to do three things:

1. Turn off my internal editor--As a writer I have an internal editor who screens everything I read and tries to improve it. It takes a great book to get him to shut up and let me enjoy the story. Blindsighted shut him down in two chapters.

2. Invade my life--I read every day on the elliptical trainer. But Blindsighted had me reading through all my airline flights, in the limo, and on my couch. I would wake
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Beautiful Body that is Missing a Soul - 3.5 Stars

This was my first foray into the world of Karin Slaughter. Her world is filled with interesting characters, personal drama and a fair share of deranged individuals. I did enjoy the book. The writing was very good, the characters were interesting and the plot was good. That said, it seemed to be missing something. Something I am having a hard time putting my finger on. For all the positives, the story still lac
Paul
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caution: This novel has explicit rape and torture.

This was an amazingly well done first novel for Karen Slaughter and believe it or not it is slightly tame compared to her later stuff. I find it difficult to read some of her passages (due to the explicit and gruesome details). It is a brutal but well written murder mystery. 5 stars
Sean Peters
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was voted as our June Book Read by our group " A Good Thriller"

Happy this book was voted as have enjoyed quite a few of Karin Slaughter books, although good to read this book as her debut book and the introduction of her character Sara Linton.

Karin Slaughter--a wonderful name for a crime/mystery writer--sets her novel in a small town in Georgia. Nothing much happens in Heartsdale, and the local pediatrician, Sara Linton, also works as the coroner. Sara meets her younger sister for lunc
I’m always in the mood for some Slaughterhouse!

Karin Slaughter can write some dark thrillers, and I can't help but love every disturbingly graphic word. Her talent is in her characters, the story's flow and pace, and the magical ability to keep her readers grasping for the next word. In terms of mystery, I knew who the perp was at around the 50% mark. Did that stop my enjoyment? Not even a little bit. Slaughter writes books that you can't put down, because the storyline is so involved. It's not
Shannon
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars obviously. Dark, gritty, thrilling yassss Queen! On to the next!
Stephanie Nicholas
Fantastic! I'm addicted to Karin Slaughter, and I only have a few more books of hers to read. Then what am I going to do?

This was the first of the Grant County mysteries. Here we learn quite a bit about pediatrician and medical examiner Sara Linton, and her ex-husband, chief Jefferey Tolliver.

There is plenty of gore in this book. There is also a great display of interpersonal relationships. Read the Goodreads synopsis or just go into it blind, like I did, because I knew if it was Karin Slaughte
Susanne  Strong
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 Stars!

What an introduction to Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver! This mystery/suspense had my heart in my throat and my nerves on end!

When Sara, the County Coroner and Town Pediatrician comes across a body of an esteemed professor in diner bathroom, Chief Tolliver and Detective Lena Adams investigate. The body, was that of Lena’s sister and her death was gruesome, yet Lena and the Chief will stop at nothing to find the killer.

Having previously read “The Last Widow” by Karin Slaughter I deci
Julie (JuJu)
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs-all-time
My third book by this author...loving her work!
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Can’t believe I’ve gone this long without delving into this author! I’m excited now!😊
✨Susan✨
I have read Karin Slaughters, Will Trent series, and loved it. I was a little apprehensive about starting this series because I thought It may not be as good. Wrong, it was very good and will definitely be carrying on with the next book. Kathleen Early is an excellent narrator.
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Linton is a pediatrician and the coroner for the town of Heartsdale in Grant County, Georgia. If that wasn't a weird enough combination, her ex-husband, Jeffrey Tolliver, is the town's police chief. I knew from the start this was going to be a different kind of story.

The crime
Sarah goes to the local diner for lunch with her sister. She's a little late and the lunch crowd is pretty much gone. When she goes to the restroom, she finds Sibyl Adams, a professor at the local college who is also
Brandi
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Well, this didn't work for me at all - I haven't even wanted to pick it up for two days. Our main character was more scared than I could believe considering she's the coroner and dead bodies aren't foreign to her. I believed the shock she felt when she first saw the body, because you're not expecting something like that ever, but after that all her nerves were just annoying to me. Or how she was cradling the victim when the cop came, as if she were really close to this person, but she was
jenny✨
I had this persistent, nagging sense of déjà vu the WHOLE time I was reading this book—and just before the murderer was revealed it hit me like a sledgehammer that I have indeed read Blindsighted before 😂 I'm usually so diligent about recording books I've read on my Goodreads but this one somehow slipped through the cracks, urgh!

◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️◻️

I'm not really one to reread mystery/thrillers, but if there ever were ones I'd reread, they'd without a doubt be Karin Slaug

• All Smoke & Mirrors
  • A Death on the Somme
  • Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1)
  • The Other Mrs.
  • The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie, #1)
  • A Bullet From The Past
  • Hide (Detective D.D. Warren, #2)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • One by One
  • Love You More (Tessa Leoni, #1; Detective D.D. Warren, #5)
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
  • Home Before Dark
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Other Daughter
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more

Grant County (6 books)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)