Start by marking “Disintegration” as Want to Read:
Disintegration

Read eBook

Disintegration

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Identical twins vie for a family empire built on deceit, cruelty, and dark secrets--and one woman stands between them while another waits in the shadows.

DISINTEGRATION
(Revised March 2011. Includes alternate ending. DRM-free)

When a mysterious fire destroys his home and shatters his family, Jacob Wells is pulled into a downward spiral that draws him ever closer to the past h
Published October 22nd 2010 by Haunted Computer Books (first published October 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Disintegration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disintegration

Scott Nicholson
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote it. I think it's pretty good.
B.C. Young
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disintegration by Scott Nicholson is a tale of a husband and wife who experience a very tragic event. This event (which I won’t spoil here) is the catalyst for the entire story. Throughout the reading, you are pulled deeper and deeper into the world of Jacob, and to a lesser extent, his wife Renee. This is a story where not all is exactly as it seems for the two, and how everything unfolds at the end is quite surprising.

The Good: The two opening chapters of the book are by far the best of the en
Josh
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, own, read_2015
DISINTEGRATION is a twisted thriller with a killer ending. It's a book built on pain and tragedy which morphs into murder.

Lust conquers loves as Jacob, a successful businessman and wife Renee gradually slip away from one another following the unfortunate deaths of their two children through separate horrific events. It's at this juncture in their relationship that Jacob's thoughts turn to a former flame - though the flame in question may not be as enamored in Jacob as he is in her. Enter the de
Glen Krisch
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Disintegration" was my first ever Kindle download based on Nicholson's track record and the nice $.99 price.
**Spoiler Free**
Scott Nicholson's "Disintegration" starts with a gut-punch of a hook and travels a path of plot twists and turns--each darker than the one preceding--until you're left wondering how he pulled off this dark thriller.
"We all wear masks, all the time, happily ever after. Wish me not to be in my daughter's graveyard."
The above quote comes from the midway point of the book, wh
BookLoversLife
You are brought into the story straight away with the death of Jacob's daughter in a house fire. He wakes to smoke and tries in vain to rescue her but ends up with severe burns instead. This in itself is heartbreaking, but add in the fact that they lost another child years before, a marriage on the rocks because of this and a twin brother who torments you, and you have a fast paced and thrilling read.

This is the first of Scott Nicholsons books I've read that doesn't have a supernatural element
August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
“Disintegration” is in your face horror-graphic, gory, repulsive. Yet, like a highway collision, the reader just can’t look away, but must keep focusing on the story, racing through those pages to see what happens next, to whom, and how. “Disintegration” is gritty, not lyrical; cut-to-the-bone and then some, visceral. “Disintegration” deals with the kind of living nightmares we all pray never occur. It peeks in at the gory underbelly of horror, the death that lives just below the surface of our ...more
Tami Stackelhouse
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Amazon.com
I honestly don't know how to rate this, so I'll take the cheater way out and mark three stars... The first 3/4 of the book was great, really kept me guessing. I totally never could have guessed the end from the beginning - and I usually do. For that reason, i wanted to give 4 stars. However, I didn't really like the end.. No, I *really* didn't like the end, so that part of me wanted to give only 1 star!
phyllis blevins
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a classic, creepy-scary thriller!

The story line is classic "who done it" mystery writing. Just when you think you know who the villain is, well . . . maybe you don't! But then, maybe you do. Hmmm? The author weaves a cast of complex characters through spooky, frightening twists and turns to an unexpected conclusion. This novel includes an alternate ending; the reader is free to choose the future of the unexpected survivor.
Theresa
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!
Desmond Shepherd
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disintegration by Scott Nicholson is a tale of a husband and wife who experience a very tragic event. This event (which I won���t spoil here) is the catalyst for the entire story. Throughout the reading, you are pulled deeper and deeper into the world of Jacob, and to a lesser extent, his wife Renee. This is a story where not all is exactly as it seems for the two, and how everything unfolds at the end is quite surprising.

The Good: The two opening chapters of the book are by far the best of the
B
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've always know that thrillers were a "guilty" pleasure and not "worthy" of an English lit. major, but I've always loved reading one on occasion. But I realize that the thrill is gone. Even the really good ones thrive on deception - leading you on, withholding information, making it seem different. I guess they've all just been "played" out by now. None of the ones I've read recently have pleased me. I think the genre is pretty saturated and I've read my fill.

This one was pretty stupid.

Identica
Heather
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jacob and Renee have a seemingly perfect life: a successful real estate and contracting business, money, a beautiful daughter, a strong marriage, and great family. But looks can be deceiving and all it takes is one tragic fire taking their remaining oldest daughter's life and leaving Jacob with burns severe enough to be hospitalized to break open the wounds of the past.

Jacob's twin brother, Joshua, comes back to the family home and resumes his role as childhood tormenter. Grieving mother, Renee
Karen Fowler
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I've read in a while that has me at a loss when it comes time to review. I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. I'm just torn. So I guess I'll just elaborate and let the readers make up their own minds.

First, Nicholson is a stellar writer. In this novel, he's given us rare glimpses into the F-ed up minds of the characters. (Sorry to be so blunt, but that's completely accurate, in my opinion.) Nicholson's like an evil genius that way-- to show me how completely s
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A horrible, wonderful, twisted train wreck..

When I say trainwreck I don't mean that in a derogatory manner, more like this book is so horribly twisted that you can't keep from turning the page to see what comes next.

Tragedy strikes Jacob and Renee Wells when their house goes up in flames one night and they suffer the horrors of the aftermath. These two are no strangers to tragedy though, especially Jacob who has been dealing with darkness his whole life. When his long lost but not forgotten twin
Ashley
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was a little different from most that I have read but it really kept me on edge. It was really hard to tell if Jacob was a good guy or a bad guy and I wasn't sure what was going on with him at all until the very end! When it all finally came out, I was so shocked! Especially that Renee was in on everything from start. I actually felt bad for her through most of the book, until the end that is, when you find out that she is pregnant again and has no problem doing exactly what she did to ...more
Don
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved "Disintegration" because it delved in the the true horror of human beings, themselves.

The twist and turns had me reading everywhere on my Kindle, the horror so in-your-face cruel and the characters murky dark. Jacob and Joshua, twins, are not the type of people you want to be. Nicholson crosses into new territory by writing a novel where the main characters have no redeeming qualities and most people will likely not identify with them. Who's the good guy and bad guy? Well, sometimes a go
Rebecca Graf
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disaster strikes a young family. In the middle of the night, their dream house catches fire. In the flames, their only surviving child dies. Now the return of the evil twin causes many to doubt if the fire was an accident and if all the players are in their right minds.

From the first paragraph, the story has the reader sucked in and pulled along on a thunderous river of twists and turns. I found myself unable to stop reading as the plot got more and more complicated and all my theories were thro
Gayle
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over, Stephen King. There's a new kid on the block.
This is my first time to read Scott Nicholson, but certainly not my last.

This is horror at it's best. A tale of mirror image twins and there's always an evil twin; right?
But which one is it?

We follow Jacob and Joshua Wells, sons of a dictator-type dad (now deceased), as they
squabble over their dad's will and accuse each other of terrible things that began in childhood.

They seem to be obsessed with arson, and innocent people suffer .

This is
Lee Howard
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
DISINTEGRATION could have been titled DISSOLUTION. The downward spiral of character may not be a popular form, but it’s a valid one, and Nicholson handles it artfully. He pours on the misery thick and heavy -- and never lets up. Blow by blow, he nails the pain of the past to the heartache of the present. Skillfully revealing events from yesterday and the motivations of the moment, he builds a juggernaut of suspense and doom that will keep you guessing until the very last line.

Who’s worst: Jacob,
Kerra
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Words can not describe how amazing and suspenceful this novel was. There were so many twists and turns and you never knew who was who until the final 10 pages of the book. I was on the edge of my seat from the third chapter of this novel all the way up to the last page. A true page turner!

This story is very hard to describe, but I will give the basics. It is a story of lust, romance, hate, lonelyness, love, envy, and just about every emotion you can think of. I really can't give much mo
Christa
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another reviewer called this book "an emotional rollercoaster" and it sure was for me, too. I was sad, angry, I laughed insanely, and I hated this book at times. I wanted to throw it at the wall (except it's in my Kindle and, of course, I didn't want to ruin my eReader), but I couldn't stop. I'm not a thriller lover and now I know why. I want my characters to be flawed, troubled, even tortured but I want them to be basically good people, and the characters in this novel are anything but decent. ...more
Pia Veleno
Mar 07, 2013 marked it as nfm
When the house was burning down, Renee thought her husband was waking her because she always gets breakfast ready since he earns the money, and later, she tells the fire investigator that she hesitated to leave at first which wasn't like her because she always obeys her husband. Yes, obey, that exact word.

Sure, it does take all kinds to run the world, and other novels by this author didn't come across like this, but between this old-fashioned, not allowed to think for myself attitude, and Renee
~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Diane
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
Identical twins with a very troubled life behind them are grappling for control over the familiy fortune. One brother is a developer, taking up their father's business, while the other, who has been away from their hometown for years, was left the family home and land but can't sell it. The developer survived a horrific house fire where he lost his daughter. He and his wife split up, unable to deal with it, having also lost an infant the year before. As the story unfolds there's more of their ch ...more
Nanette
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This gripping psychological tale is every bit as frightening and twisted as any of Nicholson's paranormal novels.

"Disintegration" had me hooked from the beginning. I enjoyed this read as much as any of his past works.

Scott Nicholson's writing style continues to deliver vivid mental images. He's one of the most descriptive writers that I've come across, if not the MOST.

Death, guilt, extreme familial disfunction, betrayal, greed and revenge- this is one great read. I highly recommend it.

As long
Sieglinde
A devastating fire brings tragedy to Jacob and Rennie Wells, for the second time. They lost one daughter to cot death and now her sister has perished too. The local fire chief is not convinced that this was not arson and she suspects that the Welles were involved, especially given the large insurance policies payable. Jacob is badly burned but recovers slowly, and his twin brother Joshua shows up in town with his wife Carlita, a woman that both slept with in their teens. But all is not as it see ...more
glitrbug
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, thriller
The writerly craft of this book is amazing. The description of pain is so right on I will refer people to it when they ask what my Fibromyalgia is like. The story pulls you along as your understanding of the characters deepens and changes. Saying any more might give something away and you need to experience this book without any forewarning. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5+ is that I hated the ending. It's not badly done, it's just not the type of ending I wanted. Mr. Nicholson is a ...more
Emily
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
From the very beginning, Disintegration will sink it's hooks into you and have you on pins and needles until the very end. It's both horrifying as well as fascinating to read about all of the characters. Scott Nicholson has such a fascinating mind to be able to come up with the stories he writes. He focuses on the personalities of his characters and how messed up their minds are! Definitely grab a sample and you'll find yourself hooked and buying this one in no time at all!!

Very enjoyable read..
Vicki Tyley
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
Jacob Wells wakes to the smell of smoke. Flames engulf the hallway to his 9-year-old daughter’s bedroom. Frantic he tries to save her, in the process sustaining a dislocated hip and second-degree burns to over twenty percent of his body…

A psychological thriller that grabs you by the throat and doesn’t let go, not even at its shocking conclusion. It literally tore at my insides. Intense and emotional, this is Scott Nicholson at his finest.

Powerful, dark and brilliant.
Lauralynn Elliott
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot, but it really confused me at times. I know that it was meant to be confusing, but it kind of made me feel disorienated sometimes. One thing I really liked was that I didn't figure everything out. I can usually tell what the plot twists are going to be, but this one fooled me. At one point, I was sure I had it figured out...but no. If you like psychological thrillers, this is one you need to check out.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cursed!
  • Kill & Cure
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Suckers
  • Watch Me Die
  • Faint of Heart
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Deed to Death
  • Dismember
  • The Howling Trilogy
  • Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue #1)
  • Wrecker
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson