Start by marking “Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)

Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Battered to death with a piece of abstract sculpture titled 'Reconciliation, ' Whitehall departmental head Sir Nicholas Clark is claimed by his colleagues to have been a fine and respected public servant cut off in his prime. Bewildered by the labyrinthine bureaucracy of Whitehall, Scotland Yard's Superintendent Jim Milton recognizes a potential ally in Clark's young Priva ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Corridors of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corridors of Death

Rob Kitchin
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Corridors of Death is the first of the Robert Amiss mysteries and blends British establishment satire with crime fiction. For me the story was ‘Yes, Minister’ meets golden age British crime novel, a la Agatha Christie. Edwards keeps the storytelling light, engaging and witty, without undermining the mystery and the seriousness of the case. The labyrinth bureaucracy and petty personal politics of Whitehall is well depicted. And the characterisation of politicians, civil servants and family relati ...more
Lexxi Kitty
Just a quick note: This is a quite interesting humorous mystery from the early 1980s. I was drawn to it as British politics is bouncing around a lot at the moment, so - while this specific book isn't timely, it is interesting to read at the moment.

There are two main characters - a police guy, Superintendent Jim Milton, and a government guy, Robert Amiss. Both work together to solve the mystery of the dead government minister (Robert's boss Sir Nicholas Clark, a real bastard of a guy - personalit
Damaskcat
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Robert Amiss finds himself involved in a murder case – not as a suspect because he couldn’t have murdered the victim – but as a mole helping Superintendent Jim Milton to understand the background to the case. Amiss is a civil servant working in Whitehall and Sir Nicholas, his boss, is murdered.

The problem is that just about everyone who was involved in the meeting just before the murder had the means, the motive and the opportunity to commit the crime. Milton finds himself at a loss when it com
Ken Cook
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this whodunit. Set in London, involving civil servants to Parliment, it gives a nice picture of early '80's. The voice seems to bounce between the Chief Inspector Jim Milton and the Personal Secretary Robert Amiss - who apparently becomes the focus of a series. Well developed characters, nice plot lines, good dialog with minimal slang. Believable. Will get me to read more of the series.
Eadie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
This is the first book in the Robert Amiss Mystery Series which captures the Machiavellian and homicidal world of the British Civil Service. I learned a lot about British governmental hierarchy within the complex bureaucracy of Whitehall. It's a social satire with engaging characters and a murder investigation under the direction of Detective Superintendent James Milton of Scotland Yard. Sir Nicholas Clark is dead and all the suspects clearly wanted him dead, including his wife. It's not until a ...more
Matt Larsen
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how many Ruth Dudley Edwards stories I have actually 'read'. Not many.
The fact is that I have been charmed and seduced by the voice of the late, great Bill Wallis in his excellent narration of the series as audio books. He was able to create the most wonderful characterisations and keep them in their correct niche and did a wonderful Baroness Jack Troutbeck (outrageous character in the later books)

If you find the books hard to read, go to your library and try and get them in audio
Beth
This is a "who-dun-it?" in the classic mode.
A civil servant is killed and the investigation gets under way with considerable input from a junior public servant who explains the workings of the public service to the investigating officer. It's quite clever and funny at this point--something like the "Yes, Minister" and Yes, Prime Minister" television series.
The rest of the book is more conventional, as they try to work out who , amongst all his collegues, actually didn't want to kill him.
John
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I would have liked to have given this book two and a half stars as I don't think it merits three but it is better than two.

It could have done with a cast of characters at the beginning like Ngaio Marsh used to have. Quite confusing at the beginning as to who was who.

I found it more about the civil service network than about detection. The beginning is slow and plodding and the ending is VERY unsatisfactory and disappointing.
Joyce
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I read later books in the series first, and I'm glad I did. This is a great series, and this is the first book, where Dudley Edwards is still developing what she's doing. This is not a bad book, and the wit is there, but it is not as fully developed as later books in the series are. It's worth a read if you like the series and haven't gotten to this one first. If you've just read this one, keep going. The series gets better and better.
Susanne Clower
I got this recommendation from Overdrive, I think. (I use my local library's Overdive ebooks constantly.) These are quick reads, and so much fun! Each book in the series skewers some aspect of British society, but in a gently humorous way - it is not vicious satire. The characters do progress with each installment but it's not terribly important to read them in order, and I say this as someone who absolutely insists on reading mystery series in order. I am burning through the series.
Anne
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A solid mystery. A bit slow at the beginning and the climax left something to be desired. Most of the writing was solid and my style through the bulk of the book, so I enjoyed it, but it almost seemed she didn't know how to wrap it up and took the easy way out. I've read more from her if they were dropped in my lap, but not seek them out.
Gail
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of British mysteries
A superb little mystery taking place in and around the British parliament. We meet two delightful characters, Robert Amiss and Jim Milton, the superintendent police person. Their developing friendship and the interplay of their ideas and inspirations about the murders make this book a wonderful, relaxing read, written with humor and intelligence. Most highly recommended.
S Dizzy
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read last few sentences in this book and the 1st word I uttered was "Wow!" What a study in human nature! Throughout the book, I kept thinking "whoever killed this guy should not be caught" because the "victim" was truly an unpleasant, mean-spirited human being. It was a riveting read due to the many suspects. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jovdb
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
My first book by this author. Not sure I like the style; it is a bit cumbersome and verbose. I actually listened to the book and enjoyed the voice of the narrator. From some of the other comments, the series gets better, so I might try another one.
Sharon
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Could not get along with this book at all. The beginning is confusing,trying to establish characters and Robert Amiss superior attitude to the police,grated on my nerves,so much so that I had to ditch the book during chapter two.
Mary Kay Kare
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-british
I don't know how I managed to miss Edwards' books for so long. This was funny; it had good characters; it satisfied. I'm now going to read all her other mysteries.
Marleen
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Listened to this book on audio Cd.
Katherine Spivey
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent mystery of bureaucracy, if that's not a contradiction in terms.
Anne
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betty
Recommended to Anne by: Julie
Shelves: mystery
A delightful, complex, and erudite British mystery. Can't wait to read more by this author. Four and a half stars.
Gillian Roche
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicely written with notes of Golden Age meets later 20th century but denouement frankly implausible.
Lisa Volker
Susan
Nov 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Retirement Homes Are Murder
  • Blackman's Coffin (Sam Blackman, #1) (Buryin' Barry 0.5)
  • The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • The Fortnight in September
  • The Reaper
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • A Medal for Murder (Kate Shackleton, #2)
  • Dead Clever (Lily Pascale, #1)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • Strange Bodies
  • Cutter
  • A Murderous Game
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Relative Danger
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Bloody Streets of Paris
After being a Cambridge postgraduate, a teacher, a marketing executive and a civil servant, Ruth Dudley Edwards became a full-time writer. A journalist, broadcaster, historian and prize-winning biographer who lives in London, her recent non-fiction includes books about The Economist, the Foreign Office, the Orange Order and Fleet Street. The first of her ten satirical mysteries, Corridors of Death ...more
More about Ruth Dudley Edwards...

Robert Amiss (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Saint Valentine's Day Murders (Robert Amiss, #2)
  • The English School of Murder (Robert Amiss, #3)
  • Clubbed to Death (Robert Amiss, #4)
  • Matricide at St. Martha's (Robert Amiss, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Robert Amiss, #6)
  • Murder in a Cathedral (Robert Amiss, #7)
  • Publish and Be Murdered (Robert Amiss, #8)
  • The Anglo Irish Murders (Robert Amiss, #9)
  • Carnage on the Committee (Robert Amiss, #10)
  • Murdering Americans (Robert Amiss, #11)