Start by marking “Das Teufelslabyrinth” as Want to Read:
Das Teufelslabyrinth

Das Teufelslabyrinth

Es führt direkt in die Hölle...

Im vierten Jahrhundert fand man es in den Katakomben Roms. Es findet sich auf einer spanischen Schriftrolle des sechzehnten Jahrhunderts. Jetzt wurde es unter einer alten Klosterschule in Boston entdeckt – für jene, die im Labyrinth des Teufels gefangen sind, ist die Hölle der einzige Ausweg.
Taschenbuch, 462 pages
Published January 10th 2011 by Heyne Verlag (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Das Teufelslabyrinth, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Scott Benjamin
Sep 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
John Saul is a bit of a tush.

This book was god-awful. It provided a whole lot of background and build up, leading to a completely incomprehensible and a simply poor ending.

It reminds me of the time my high school girlfriend wanted to "save herself" for Prom night - and then, that night, she left early because her best friend needed consoling for some reason.

A whole lot of waiting and patience and anticipation - and I was just left unsatisfied.
Delanie
Aug 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So there I was in Ely, at the only grocery store in town, and I'd forgotten to bring any books with me (unpardonable sin, I know, but that's what happens when you're functioning on 5 hours' sleep because you were up late the night before baking for your mom's Summer Sweet And Savory Fest). It was down to this or "The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love Slave."

I made the wrong choice.
joyce g
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It started out really scary.
Patrice Hoffman
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was gripping from the beginning. John Saul really knows how to write page turners. I don't remember there being any dull moments in this book. Just a lot of unanswered questions. The book is about a boy, Ryan, who agrees to go to a Catholic school for problem-kids. At this school, the Father Sebastian is an expert in a sacred old... something something something... of being able to conjure the bad and evil spirits from the children. Instead of using exorcisms the good ol' fashioned way ...more
Zach
Sep 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Big buildup--then does not explain!

Also the book has the added bonus of being offensive to Catholics and Muslims at the same time.

The book did not have strong characters--and many parts of it were predictable (thankfully--the author moved quickly once the reader knows what is going to happen and does not belabor it). The characters were also unengaging and one dimensional. All of this could have been forgiven, and I kept reading (or rather listening) as I the author kept the story moving with m
Oct 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: horror
Like a plethora of the other readers, I found the ending of this book completely unsatisfying, and was additionally dissatisfied by Saul's attempt to ride the tide of generalizations about Muslims. I currently live in a predominately Muslim nation where it's the Christians who hate us; playing up the fundamentalist actions of a few individuals doesn't help anyone.

Saul's works have always been sort of a guilty pleasure for me, along with the works of the (now deceased and incorporated) VC Andrew
Charli
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any John Saul fan.
Shelves: read-in-2008
I just finished “The Devil’s Labyrinth” by John Saul. As with most of his books, it involved evil possessing a child or teenager. This time it involves a teenage boy named Ryan who got beat up at his high school and ended up being sent to the private St. Isaac’s Preparatory Academy. There he meets up with Father Sebastian Sloane, a Catholic priest who has had some “success” in helping troubled teens. This priest has been noticed by the Vatican for his successes.

The only problem is, he uses “exor
Athena
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I was very disappointed with this book. The two brothers burying a pet lizard and finding a box was a great beginning, and then the story continues in present day. Ryan McIntyre is attacked by deliquent school mates at Dickinson's, and transferred to St. Isaac's at the suggestion of his mother's boyfriend Tom Kelly. It is known from the beginning that Tom Kelly and Father Sebastian Sloane are friends. Ryan fits in at St. Isaac's but things keep getting more bizarre after Ryan finds out that the ...more
Jason Jerus
Mar 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got hooked with the development of each characters, intricacies of their individual circumstances, and how they became intertwined to build the bigger story. However, I'm just as frustrated finding that I only have 20 pages left to include the climax and the explanation (or the lack of it) behind the plot. John Saul built the momentum, only to lose it's edge in the end due to lack of depth in bringing his story to conclusion. Unforgiveable. He's outta my list.
Kathy
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Ghost Stories or things about darker side of religion such as Satan's realm, you will like this book. It is a quick read and I found it entertaining enough to cut through the boredom of long layovers and airline flights. Of course you may have nightmares after reading it.
Brian Bova
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. My first John Saul book. A straight to the point reading with few things that seem to be far fetched as there sometimes is in fiction novels. A++++
Cynthia
This is one of those books that starts out great. It was creepy but quite intriguing. Then the plot took a twist that I found offensive and I continued reading, saying 'seriously?' the whole time. I am not going to say that I liked it. I would have loved it had the whole thing not devolved into a religious war. Nope. Sorry.
Bonnie
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good read. Interesting though lost something at the end. Maybe been better if some was cut out. Overall though it was a pretty good read.

I gave it a B or 3 stars.
Kasia
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up without a father is tough enough but when sixteen year old Ryan McIntyre decides to do the right thing by acting like a man and standing up for himself he gets punished for it. Refusing to let a bully cheat of his test gets him beaten up so badly that his bleeding body feels terror at the thought of going back. His loving mother Teri reluctantly listens to her boyfriend Tom's advice about transferring Ryan to St. Isaac's Preparatory Academy,a Catholic school located in a grand structu ...more
Linda
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After Ryan McIntyre gets beaten up by thugs at the public HS, his mother transfers him to parochial school, St. Isaac's, hoping for a better social situation. What Ryan encounters there is far worse than bullying. In the bowels of his new school, his classmates are being terrorized literally out of their wits. For kindly young Father Sebastian has an agenda of his own....

With The Devil's Labyrinth, John Saul has written an overwrought travesty of a horror novel that stretches credulity to the br
Geoff Battle
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 20 horror novels usually involving the supernatural and children, John Saul has managed not to rework old material, but write an engaging and contemporary tale for his fans. The Devil's Labyrinth refers to a tunnel complex under a Catholic boarding school, which is used as a short-cut and also for far more nefarious purposes. The story is full of malevolence and Saul captures the elements of ancient evil very well, crafting a plot which is quite unpredictable at times, twisting and turning ...more
Tiffany
Jason Jeffery
I've never been a big fan of John Saul's but gave this one a chance. Up until around page 320, this book had me drawn in. Great story, good characters and creepy at times. Once the antagonists were revealed though, the book lost some of its luster for me. Overall, I'd recommend it for any John Saul fan or fan's of horror that are looking at a unique thriller with a religious backdrop.
Arista
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had its scary moments, would have been better if some devils were involved or some ghosts or something! was mostly about exorcising some kids who the church thought were posessed. Not really exciting but interesting
Mesmerizing Mehnaz
Disappointed how the plot ended.
Red Hand
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Marlen
Dec 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017
I'm so tired of Saul. I try and try amd try again to give him all the chances, and I usually enjoy about 250 pages of his book, but the remaining 200 are so dumb and painful I can't find words for it.
Same with this book. Nice idea gets lost after some chapters. Characters that could be pretty haunting and interesting develop into a hotchpotch of dumb tropes and clichè.
Like: oh, the muslim guy talks about getting fucking "pesticide" wink wink nudge nudge.

Not to mention the idiotic ending. Just sk
Rachel
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, however, I did not understand the correlation between the demonic presence that seemed to possess the students and the two brothers. It never really clarifies if this is some type of presence they conjured to help them exact their revenge, or what. My guess is that it was an ancient entity that possessed them as well to do its bidding.

Overall, I still enjoyed the book very much and would recommend it. I love John Saul, but his books are becoming increasingly difficu
Irena Feng
Great buildup to the climax, but unfortunately everything after the climax - falling action, resolution (narrative structure) was rushed and practically ignored. In a practically 400-page novel, the climax takes place on page 388, just 4 pages before the end of the book. This is not enough time or space or effort to draw the story to a proper close, and while I enjoyed the exposition and rising action to the climax, the blatant lack of a proper wrap-up was an irredeemable disappointment.
Kelly Davis
Listened to this audiobook on a long trip. Likely would not have kept listening if another option were available. Very predictable. Stereotypical characterizations of Muslims, Catholics, and teenagers. Part of issue was the voice acting, but the story was overall disjointed and lacking consistency. The end left you with a sense that things weren't wrapped up.
Vickie Garner
I didnt understand the plot. I thought the flow of the story was pretty good however the "bad guys" reason for actions did not make sense to me. I dont believe the evil characters were established well enough to discern this. However, maybe being of horror genre, I was not open minded enough.
Casey Bartsch
What a massive disappointment this turned out to be. The premise was so awesome - an intricate maze of tunnels beneath a religious school. Evil priests, demons, and evil - oh my! But none of it was used well. Ended up just being a sluggish bore. Oh well, moving on.
Renee Hawkins
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book from Saul I have read both were very haunting. I think this one was amazing. I was surprised by some of the twists in the book. Plus the characters are well developed. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys thrillers and mysteries.
Andres
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, although the ending annoyed me.
Holly Williams
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read it in one sitting.... great page turner
reader 2 11 Jun 29, 2013 12:28PM
  • Hexes
  • Lord of Shadows (Heirs of Kilronan Trilogy, #2)
  • His Father's Son
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • Best New Horror 10 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #10)
  • Savage
  • Water Witch
  • Bentz & Montoya : Hot Blooded / Cold Blooded / Shiver / Absolute Fear / Lost Souls / Malice / Extended Excerpt from Devious (New Orleans #1-6)
  • Bloodstone
  • King of Paine
  • Breeder
  • Sleepwalker (Nightwatcher #2)
  • What Scares You The Most? (Nightmare Room Thrillogy, #2)
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
  • Revelation (Book One of the Revelation Trilogy)
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • Haven House
  • The Bully at Work
John Saul grew up in Whittier California where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he decided the best thing for a college dropout to