Start by marking “Wicca” as Want to Read:
Wicca

Wicca

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  13,255 Ratings  ·  444 Reviews
Una guida insostituibile per le streghe di entrambi i sessi, che desiderano addentrarsi nei rituali di questa religione affascinante e misteriosa. Il vero manuale della Wicca, la cui pubblicazione è attesa con trepidazione dai seguaci italiani.
Un volume che ha venduto oltre 400.000 copie negli USA e che insegna la pratica Wicca, i rituali, come sviluppare le proprie poten
Published January 2001 by Armenia (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Wicca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicca

Jade
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Books on Wicca religion by author Scott Cunningham are often recommended to me, and this particular one is generally considered to be his most popular and best-sold one. It’s often recommended to beginners instead of advanced practitioners, and I, curious to see what all the fuss was about, decided to check it out.

I have to say, it’s definitely not my favourite book on Wicca, and there are much better books out there intended for a beginner’s audience. I have some issues with the way Cunningham
Tamora Pierce
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is serious about magic and paganism
Recommended to Tamora by: I found Cunningham's work and obtained all of his books that had
Where would I be without Cunningham? His view of Wicca and of magic in general shaped mine. His practice is where mine begins and ends.
Maya
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Wicca: A guide for the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham is an amazing book that was recommended by several wiccan/pagan youtubers on youtube.
This is actually my first wiccan/pagan related book that I've ever read in my entire life. I really got interested in the search of my spiritual quest when I discovered this wonderful pagan community in youtube. Yet, I wanted to do a little more of research and just searching the net was too much work for my lazy ass. I thought for me it would b
Jill
Meh. It's an okay glimpse into a very, very broad pagan/witchcraft path, but it's not Wicca, in my opinion. I feel like too much time was spent spelling out the differences between Christianity and witchcraft and that it's not devil worship, as if I already didn't know. I have a feeling I will be dealing with this a lot in introductory pagan/witchcraft books.

It was okay up until his Standing Stone BOS. I didn't care much for his prayers or for his spells, as they are not my own and not how I wou
DJ Harris
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wiccans
Recommended to DJ by: Alan White
Shelves: review, religion, wicca
This is Scott Cunningham’s attempt at simplifying all things Wicca for the "newbie". It does cover subjects with a common sense approach, but leaves out many needed fundamentals. He does have a gentle voice, very inviting for the inexperienced, won't be appreciate by the seasoned pro.

It is important to note that Scott Cunningham practiced Wicca 20+ years and was the author of more than 50 books. He passed from this life on March 28, 1993, after a long illness. He is missed.

Blessed be.

Get Your Co
Jonathan Martin
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I took my first brave step into exploring paganism this is one of the books I fortunately encountered. Although I don't class myself as Wiccan now, it certainly provided a fantastic overview of this spiritual path and introduced me to elements of paganism that I have kept as part of my own belief structure ever since. The ancient Celtic calendar, also known as the Wheel of the Year, is given an adequate introduction and there are some beautiful poems and blessings for each Sabbat, plus idea ...more
Abraxas Abrasaxtes
This book was the first one I ever read on Wicca (as with most judging by the reviews) It literally blew my mind and set me on a path that I have never diverted from since I was 13. Now in my 30's I can't help but look back at this book with a sense of nostalgia and love for Scott Cunningham. I would recommend this book to anyone starting out on the Witches Path as it is written in a simple and beautiful format that is easy to digest yet still covers all the essentials.
Steve Cran
Scott Cunningham one of the foremost experts on Wicca has written a book geared towards the beginner and solitary practitioner of Wicca. Not every practitioner of Wicca will join a coven. Another piece of good news is that Mr. Cunningham has injected a spirit of individuality and freedom into the craft that does not bind one strictly to on way as the only way.

The book covers alot of ground. It covers Runes, rituals, Sabbat and different meditations. It is a good companion for Silver Ravenwolf's
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
First of all, I need to say that I’m not Wiccan. I stumbled across this and scrolled through it ( pdf version) for shits and giggles really. It so fluffy, it reads like a young teenage girl’s bedtime story.

For example: He performs this spell over a drawn version of his phone bill and states, “Within a day or 2, perhaps a week, Ill either receive unexpected or delayed money, or will satisfy other financial obligations in a manner that frees me to pay the bill”. Eh, wouldn’t that have happened an
Arkwitch
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often times in reading books on Wicca you have to pick and chose what works and what to take seriously. Not so with Scott Cunningham, one of the best writers on the subject. Cunningham provides an excellent guide to Wicca for beginners, one that covers all the basics-what magick is, how it works, and, more importantly, provides a deep understanding of the spiritual roots of the religion tied directly to mother earth and the Pagan old gods.

Wicca: A Guide, is no book of spells or incantations, tho
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
This book was the second book I ever read about Wicca. It helped me so freaking much. It made everything idiot proof. Which I personally needed when I first started coming from the background I did. It's written in a way that is easy to understand, easy to follow, and the author just feels like he's sitting there talking to the reader. It's a personal kind of feeling and I loved that so much. There is a lot of info in this book, everything one would need to start down this path that they've chos ...more
sjams
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, spiritual
Wicca is truly a beginner's book, and one of the best I've read. I haven't gotten much further than beginner books in the last ten years, so I might know. ;) The organization is really compelling: by layout out theory before ritual and aspects of practice, rather than indulging the reader and jumping straight into "Magick!", the reader has a true chance to decide whether or not any of it aligns with his or her belief system. There are so many useful little tips in this book that even though it c ...more
Penelope
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan-books
Everyone recommends this book as a perfect beginner's book for Wicca and I can kind of see why. I wouldn't say it's the best book out there but I've read a lot worse and Cunningham does cover the basics really well.
J.A.
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cunningham's masterpiece is an excellent first guide to the Old Religion, with an emphasis on personal autonomy and a do-it-yourself spirit. Highly recommended for anyone just starting out on the path.
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca, neo-pagan
I remember enjoying this book a lot, though I haven't read it in a while.
At first, I found it slightly repetitive. It seemed to say everything every other "Wicca 101" book had said. That's not to say the information is wrong or useless; it's just that I already knew most of it. I still found it interesting to read though because it helped me think more deeply about my beliefs. For example, I found this paragraph on page 26 very interesting:
"If you truly desire to know the nature of magic, prac
Carol Weekes
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The late Scott Cunningham presents a clear, concise, and easy-to-read introduction to the topic of Wicca, both for the new practioner and for those simply interested in expanding their understanding of a path that dates back centuries. Cunningham is known for his earnest and down-to-earth approach to his chosen topic. He explains each concept so that the lay-person can understand the history, meaning, approach, and results of the practice of Wicca and Paganism. Highly recommended for anyone with ...more
Merel
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an interesting read but it was only just what I expected... Nothing more....
I knew everything that was described but I expected a little more in-depth description. A lot of things that he stated are now a little outdated since we are no longer living in 1980 and a lot has changed since. Still an okay book with information if you don't know where to start with this this subject.
Danny
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott Cunningham is such a popular author in the Wiccan communities. I've come across people who love him and people who hate him. Personally, this was the very first book I read about Wicca and it certainly helped educate me. It is a good 101 book and doesn't go into very much detail. I would recommend it to anyone who is just starting on the Wiccan path or one who is trying to understand it. It also does have some great references in the back that I find very useful.
Susan
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lend-to-friends
I have to admit this was the first Wicca book I ever read so I can't compare it to anything out there. All I can say is the subject was covered nicely and it was in a simple language that even someone who didn't know a thing about it would understand what is being said without going into great detail.
Amber
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic, and outdated. Nevertheless, I wanted a basic introduction to Wiccan and it delivered as such.

I found myself furious with the depiction of the Goddess. This is not at Cunningham's fault, as it was (is?) a widely thought depiction but here it is... there is no reason to associate the Goddess solely as symbolic to fertility. We know men can be fertile and affect procreation. Rather, the Goddess is creator. (Is a male god even needed?)

I was also bothered by the holidays and what they mean
Debra
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
While taking an introductory course on Wicca last year, several people recommended Scott Cunningham’s books to me. Classmates said that his books are filled with comprehensive information in an easy, readable style, and they were right. Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner is a practical book that includes sections on theory and practice as well as a discussion of festivals, rituals, symbols, signs, crystal magic, and so forth.

I especially liked Cunningham’s thoughtful tone. He doesn’t t
Andrea
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me back many years to when I used to study Wicca. There's been a pull to get back in touch with the elements, earth, magic, energy, crystals... ya know, all that fun stuff. I miss the rituals. This was a nice refresher and introduction back into a Wiccan world that is both familiar, and unknown. There is a mysterious energy around me now and I've felt the need to harness it and explore it- listen and respond in action. A great beginning- I'm thankful for Scott.
Plateresca
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca
A concise book on what Wicca is and is not, with some practical advice to get you started and lots of Wiccan inspiration.
Diane Cortese
The author did a good job in covering the basics of Wicca for the solitary practitioner. As a Wiccan, I did notice a few places where he could have elaborated or where he treated an issue in a more complex manner than necessary. With that said, it is still a good "starter" book.

Cunningham expresses Wicca as a duality, though he explains that some Wiccans may mostly worship the Goddess "as a reaction to the patriarchy of mainstream religions." This makes it sound like a rebellious act. It may si
Linda
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always interested in the different religions... Good read.
Arial Burnz
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook version of the book while I was working on some sewing.

I read this book way back when it first came out and I was hungry to learn about Wicca as a faith. It was with this book that I initiated myself into the Craft. Since then, I have read dozens of books on the subject and have been in and out of practicing due to location and life's experiences that led me down different paths. Since I am back upon the path to Wicca, I thought it would be a good idea to refresh myse
Edward Branley
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by the late, brilliant Scott Cunningham, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner is still the best "how-to" book for those interested in Wicca as a religion. The book has three sections, Theory, Practice, and a Book of Shadows. The chapters in the Theory section explain just what Wicca is, how it's practiced in a group/coven structure, and how the reader/seeker can modify that practice to become a "Solitary Wiccan". The author explains the basic tenets of the religion, defines magic ...more
Ambyr
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, physical-copy
When I decided I wanted to learn more about paganism (specifically neopaganism and Wicca), I immediately started doing my research on the most refutable and trustworthy books out there that could simultaneously give me a beginner's/outsider's view of the religion that has formed into modern day Wicca. This book was consistently at the top of every "must read" list and the majority of my pagan friends recommended it with vigor. Upon completing it, I can see why.

The information given in this book
Rùne Ulfeblut
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very, very interesting book that explains the basics of this fascinating way of life.

Scott Cunningham might be considered a revolutionary in that he was one of the first to point out the possibility for everyone to approach Wicca, whether they belong to a coven or not.
He's particularly passionate about this; in fact, he constantly stresses Wicca's accessible rituals and philosophy, thus making it very attractive to the solitary practitioner.
I like the openness he shows when he writes: "As long a
Mary
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
A witch that I know as an acquaintance gave me this book when I expressed curiosity about what Wicca is. She talked a lot to as if because I showed interest in what was important to her that I would be an easy convert. She did not know that my interest came from knowing 2 women who had been raised Wiccan and had told me how frightened they were throughout their childhood and that it had affected their lives negatively.

The book itself was easy to read. It seems there is a male god and a female go
Good Book 8 70 Sep 11, 2014 07:48PM
  • Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America
  • Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice
  • Solitary Witch
  • Book of Shadows
  • The Witches' God
  • The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
  • Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • True Magick: A Beginner's Guide
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
More about Scott Cunningham...

Nonfiction Deals

$8.49 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“In truly understanding the Goddess and God, one comes to understand life, for the two are inextricably entwined. Live your earthly life fully, but try to see the spiritual aspects of your activities as well. Remember—the physical and spiritual are but reflections of each other.” 22 likes
“Magic is natural. It is a harmonious movement of energies to create needed change. If you wish to practice magic, all thoughts of it being paranormal or supernatural must be forgotten.” 18 likes