Start by marking “Creature” as Want to Read:
Creature

Creature

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  9,300 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
A powerful high-tech company. A postcard-pretty  company town. Families. Children. Sunshine.  Happiness. A high school football team that never-ever  loses. And something else. Something horrible ...  Now, there is a new family in town. A shy,  nature-loving teenager. A new hometown. A new set of  bullies. Maybe the team's sports clinic can help him.  Rebuild him. They won ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Creature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creature

Jennifer Lynn Harrison
I remember being scared when I read this in middle school, less so when I re-read it in high school. Now, I FEEL like I just read a YA book, not a book meant for adult readers- WAS this an adult book? Its writing style surely was meant for younger readers. The story is a good yarn and you DO keep compulsively turning the pages, but the book feels...juvenile. Saul can do better than this, I think.
Karyn
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first "grown-up" book that wasn't by Michael Crichton (In 91 I never considered Jurassic Park to be adult...it was about DINOSAURS! And Sphere and the rest never registered as something for the older crowd.) I remember the day I got it from the Scholastic book sale (remember when the big box of books would come once a month and it was like Christmas?) newsletter in middle school. I loved it. It was gross, crass, disturbing, and better yet? Got me in trouble in high school! I performe ...more
Irina
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was great.

I really got attached to Mark, the main character, who, in my opinion, is a perfect example of a shy, good male character. Most authors don't understand the thin (but still existing) line between a shy, good male character and a girl. He was a pretty much complex character thorn between his father's ambitions and his love for nature and animals. I felt sorry for him at the beginning, but as the story moved on, he became much more admirable than pitiable. On the other hand I h
Shawn
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Is it just me or does John Saul, accomplished writer and selling author, write like freshman level creative writing?

I mean I don't expect great literature out of book called "Creature" with a picture of a football helmet on front containing dimly lit eyes, but still. I was rolling my eyes at many points of this book. It's the writing equivalent of a USA Up All Night movie. Also, I wonder if John Saul harbours a hatred towards woman. Very mysogynistic undertones in this book. Anyway, I read this
Benjamin Thomas
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The small mountain town of Silverdale Colorado is perfect. A company town with perfect weather, perfect neighborly citizens, and the perfect high school with a perfect football team. It is to this perfect town, run by the corporate tech giant, Tarrentech, that the family of 16 year-old Mark Tanner moves; a promotion for his father and a chance to start again for Mark. Little does he know that such perfection comes at a cost. Due to a childhood sickness, Mark is now a short, skinny kid who avoids ...more
Ignacio Senao f
Corre la leyenda que esta novela duró en el mercado 2 meses y fue eliminada por las criticas tan duras que recibió al utilizar los niños como bestias (literalmente) Hoy en día no la veo para nada dura, aunque este ya más que curtido en mil batallas. Y en Saul no es nada sorprendente utilizar al niño como arma de terror, y hace bien, pues junto a los ancianos es el elemento más terrorífico que puedes encontrar. Y los gatos.

Miedo no da. Es más un tema de perturbación por algo que puede ser real y
Julie Akeman
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this somewhere during 8th grade, everybody was reading John Saul, Dean Koontz and Stephen King, I called it The Dark Trinity. Although Koontz tends to have happier endings, Saul was darker in his endings and I always wonder why do the children have to suffer? But I remember this book from way back and it's kinda short and it was a creepy read and loved it at the time of my creep fest LOL. Dark and enjoyable for those who love to read in the shadows.
Michael
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I must say I am torn, it has been 10 years since I last read this book, and I no longer feel it is a 5 star novel. This is the book that got me into books, it is the reason I read today. I think it could still have that kind of impact on a younger person. It's not a child or teen book I just think they are less concerned with the less than original parts of this book. The 'always evil big corporation' the 'too perfect town' these are things I have seen hundreds of times since. I guess I can' ...more
Sharon Joag
Boz Reacher
The ending is good, and funny/stupid, and Saul's interpretation of the semi-colon's function is frequently creative. But this is a bad book. The best thing I can say about this book is, I got it very cheaply at HPB but it had never been read and I kept sticking my face in it and smelling the pages. The book is bad, yes, but also somehow comforting. If you took out a hundred pages of pointless exposition and shaved down some of the more egregiously redundant prose, it would be like a cool pulp st ...more
Cgrant
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of Saul's books can be pretty disturbing and a little too creepy, but this one was disturbing on a different level---you can actually believe something like this would happen (the scientists genetically altering teenage males who are smaller, shorter, etc than their peers, in order for them to end up on par with or better than the teenage boys who are bigger, faster, etc). I guess the best way to describe it would be to say it resembles a "steroids gone out of control" story, a very believa ...more
Thaydra
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
I read this book as a child and spent years searching for it again. I recently rediscovered it and was thrilled to reread it. Though not exactly as I remembered it, it is indeed the book I remember from my youth.

Silverdale, Colorado is almost too good to be true, especially the high school football team. The boys are bigger and stronger than most kids, and the sports center they use for training is state of the art. But is the training and vitamin regimen the doctor has them on really harmless?
Nicole
This started off well & I had high hopes, but then it just went downhill.
It was repetitive, boring & predictable. A large majority of the male characters are jerks who treat their wives like dirt - they don't listen to anything they say, ignore their feelings & do things behind their backs because they know better. Hello misogyny!
There were no likeable characters, except for Chivas the dog.
I only gave this an extra star because it started to pick up towards the end for a few chapter
Elliot
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: John Saul fans, horror book fans
Creature, by John Saul, was a fun horror story about a town that appears to be too perfect and reveals the malignant machinations going on behind the scenes. I particularly enjoyed that John Saul would write a person's first and last name several times in the book, which allowed me to follow the characters in the book effortlessly. The ending held a surprising death or two, but it also left me a little sad.
Tracey
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually give this book a 4.5 stars. It was pretty good. The beginning was slow and it was hard to catch on for me because I saw people like that in school, but I didn't totally understand. Otherwise, the experiments being done to the boys at this clinic was horrific and very sad. No child should be subjected to that.
Maicie
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
book choice for Saul group.

Isolated town. Newcomer family. Football team that never loses. Sports center funded by a wealthy company. Experiments on kids.

Nothing new but Saul tells the story so well I'm giving him 4 stars. Won't he be thrilled? I also teared up at the end! And who the hell cries over a horror story? Niiiiiice. (bumps fist with Chia)
Dawn Gehler
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book, I actually finished this awhile ago but didn't have a chance to come on and write my review. It's amazing all the way through, the ending is a little different then what I was thinking it was going to end but it was good. a must read.
C.
Excellent,gripping read.Hard to put down.There was more PG-13 language and gore than other books I have read by this author,but I could not stop reading!

I found the story fascinating,especially with the 'fanaticism' and corruption around sports,we see today!

Highly recommended.
Brian
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Saul book I've read that I didn't like. It was far too slow to get going and far, far too predictable.
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller, fiction
Creature was a cut above most mass-market horrors, well-written, easy to follow, and featuring an original and creative terror to give the book an antagonist.
Veronica
A young family is lured to a "perfect" town but little do they know that not is all as it seems. I found this an easy and fun way to spend an afternoon reading.
Nina Sedlacek
This book did not play!
Andra Dom
Amazing :)
Amber
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bruce
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange book. It's certainly not a good book, but it defintiely isn't *bad*, either. The characters all seem sketched out, no real depth to them, and the writing is similar to a YA horror novel by a not-very-good author. It feels like you're reading a story by Stephen King, written when he was fifteen or sixteen. The women are portrayed as generally subservient to their men, the typical Leave It To Beaver, apple pie housewife, and the few who manage (who dare?) to break out of this rol ...more
Kate Hooper
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome and different book, this novel was highly addictive to read which was awful when being sociable over Christmas, lol! Highly recommended author, John Saul gets the balance of gore and storyline just right.
Peter Wilson
Shelves: saul
2nd favorite by Saul
D.P. Joynes
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love secret sci-fi revelations that can only be exposed through teenagers. The end is unfortunate. I'm still sad about it and I'm sure its because it was easy to get attached to the male protagonist. It's so unfair and you know its fiction, but you also can't help get the feeling that these things might be happening in real life, in some small town, somewhere.
Robb Bridson
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Generally speaking, John Saul's writing is the novel equivalent of SyFy original movies.
The mix of consistency and inconsistency is amazing. Almost every Saul novel I've read has a ridiculous and cartoonish evil doctor and a crazy conspiracy... but some come off as lame while others come off as wonderfully weird and exciting.
"Creature" is by far the best I've read from Saul.

Okay, his "science" is horrible and unbelievable. in part, this is something I love about novels of that era-- they didn't
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Teens experimented on, turn violent. [s] 7 221 Mar 22, 2017 03:27PM
  • Come Out Tonight
  • Shattered
  • The Association
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Dark Mountain
  • The Hellfire Club
  • Ancient Images
  • The Jigsaw Man
  • Breathe
  • The Mask
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland