Start by marking “The Joy of Physics” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Physics

The Joy of Physics

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
For those who have always wanted to discover the joy of physics, this is the book that they've been waiting for. Many people remember their struggles with the topic in high school and have wished for the right opportunity to gain an appreciation of this significant area of knowledge. Now is their chance not only to understand physics, but to do physics.

Physics professor an

Published March 23rd 2011 by Prometheus Books (first published October 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy of Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy of Physics

Chris
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
I just won a copy of "The Joy of Physics" by Arthur Wiggins! I am thrilled! Can't wait to read it! I will post a reivew also. Thank you-thank you!

I received my (SIGNED) copy of The Joy of Physics. The post off did their level best to mangle the package and then re-wrapped everything in a plastice bag. The book is mostly alright and hopefully all of the tools for the experiments are there.

Thank you for the book. I look forward to reading it and as I work for a community college was thrilled to s
Stephen
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I fared poorly in physics in high school and avoided the subject altogether at university due to my arithmophobia. As an adult, I have developed a fascination for more of the sciences -- microbiology, epidemiology, psycho-neurology, toxicology -- but have steered a course well clear of physics for half a century. Yet physics is all about how stuff works and how stuff works is really interesting. Along came Arthur W. Wiggins, a professor of physics emeritus, and met the need. He wrote a book abou ...more
Gary
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
I wanted to like it more than I actually did, and I certainly didn't hate it. There was something sincere and homegrown (?) about it that made it charming, and the author seems like a really cool guy, which is why it just seems mean to say anything negative about the book. Not a great endorsement, but at only 20 bucks I certainly don't regret buying it. There are many worse ways to spend 20 dollars than on something which I'm sure I'm at least a little smarter for having read.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
The Joy of Physics by Arthur W. Wiggins provides the fun my high school teacher provided in a small compact book that is short on lecture. The concepts are laid out with the necessary formulas for calculating problems with a simple explanation, combined with easy to do at home experiments, cartoons, and practical applications.

Here's the full review:
Ken
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy review for those who took and enjoyed Physics in the past, but still not a quick read for the non-techie.

short biographies of the physicists are interesting, too bad not much was elaborated (not expected for this kind of book) on the hypothesis that Newton' laws were invented by Hooke and how Newton spent his life making Hooke's life miserable....still sent a chill to my spine thinking if that may be true - it'd be the biggest lie behind the major discovery in science.

Rachel Kitchen
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. For me, it was a physics primer. I never took a physics class, per se, and it's been over a year since I took any science or math classes. Some of the math I got from the written explanation, and some went over my head. However, I feel I really did gain a better understanding and affinity for physics overall because I read this book.
Steve Schlutow
I liked this book as an alternative resource book.. The explanations and possible experiments are just other examples to teach the subject.. I came across this book, and as a physics teacher, I cannot have enough examples..
Arthur Wiggins
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Not really cricket to rate your own book, but this one could be a great help to someone taking a physics class, or who just wants to know what physics has been able to figure out about this universe in which we find ourselves.
John
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
this book is easy to read, understand, comprehend, and makes sense...I like to learn things...I just don't have the time to get more into it right now
D.L. Morrese
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
An overview of physics, with short biographies, a bit of history, and experiments.... It would make a great textbook for a high school or college freshman physics class.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Physics and Technology for Future Presidents: An Introduction to the Essential Physics Every World Leader Needs to Know
  • Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture
  • Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families
  • Molecules at an Exhibition: Portraits of Intriguing Materials in Everyday Life
  • Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them
  • Zombie Apocalypse Preparation: How to Survive in an Undead World and Have Fun Doing It!
  • Rotter World
  • Science Guru Sudoku: The Periodic Table
  • The Self Publishers Guide to Book Marketing: Step By Step Guide For Fiction and Non-Fiction Authors
  • The Price of Redemption
  • The Path: A One-Mile Walk Through the Universe
  • Living with Darwin: Evolution, Design, and the Future of Faith
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • Galileo: A Life
  • The Discoveries: Great Breakthroughs in 20th-Century Science, Including the Original Papers
  • To Wander The Labyrinth