Start by marking “Out of Sight” as Want to Read:
Out of Sight

Out of Sight

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  8,639 Ratings  ·  317 Reviews
Jack Foley ist eine Legende, der berühmteste Bankräuber der USA. Im Knast bringt ihm das eine Menge Respekt ein. Aber was ist schon Respekt, gegen ein Leben in Freiheit? Foley bricht aus – und da steht Karen Sisco, Deputy US Marshall Karen Sisco, blond und schön, und zielt mit ihrer .38er Sig Sauer auf ihn. Aufhalten kann sie Foley trotzdem nicht und findet sich unversehen ...more
Published 1998 by Goldmann (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Sight

Dan Schwent
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, leonard
Ace bank robber Jack Foley breaks out of jail with every intention of resuming his old ways until he runs into US Marshal Karen Sisco. Sparks fly and each find themselves conflicted. Will Karen be able to do her job and bring Foley in when the time comes?

Out of Sight is the story of Jack Foley, bank robber extraordinaire, and Karen Sisco, bad ass US Marshal bent on bringing him in after he escapes from a prison and the two of them get locked in the trunk of a car when she happens to be in the pr
Diane
This was my first Elmore Leonard book, but it won't be my last. I was drawn to this one because I loved the movie version with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, and I wanted to see how the original text compared.

Answer: The original text is remarkably good! Leonard's dialogue just pops off the page. His prose has a briskness and a clarity that make the novel fly by.

The story is that Jack Foley is in prison for robbing banks, but he's planning an escape. His friend, Buddy, will be driving the ge
Algernon
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This is a boy meets girl story. Isn't it romantic? It must have been love at first sight.
Wait a moment: this is Elmore Leonard. It couldn't be love at first sight. Because they can't see each other, trapped inside the trunk of the getaway car. Plus, fate is against their romance right from the word GO, with Alex Foley a career bank robber who just escaped from prison and Karen Sisco a keen Texas Ranger waiting for a chance to shoot him with her service gun. I couldn't stop chuckling, following t
Laure
Not a bad story all in all. Just left wanting more in the end. A bit slim. The dialogues were fun at times. I was expecting more from them as I had seen them being extolled.
Amanda
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Bank robber Jack Foley didn't plan to take U.S. Marshal Karen Sisco hostage when he escaped from prison, it just sort of happened. It's one of those in the wrong place at the wrong time scenarios. And as so often happens when two people spend any quality time together in the cramped trunk of a car, especially if one has just spent part of the evening crawling through a tunnel carved out of the odiferous Everglades muck and the other is hiding a Sig Sauer between her thighs, love and attraction q ...more
Phrynne
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and I was very impressed. The genre was crime, but it was quite different from your run of the mill crime novel. The main character, Jack, is a professional bank robber who, when the story begins, is spending 25 years in prison. He escapes prison and meets Kate, a law enforcement officer who really should be arresting him but ends up doing other things instead. It is a great story with many really well written characters. Despite his crimes Jack is just lovely and hi ...more
Mark
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of American noir
This is in essence Leonard's Romeo and Julliet story in which a bankrobber and a US Marshall meet during a prison break and feel a strong mutual attraction. Which leads to some sloppy work by Karen Sisco, the Marshall, when it comes to Jack Foley the bankrobber. The story begins in a Florida prison and ends in a cold Detroit where the two will meet again and the ending is an unescapable one.

A very well written book that does not fail to deliver. I admit having seen the movie quite a few times wi
Jim
There wasn't much doubt as to how this would end, but it was a fun, short trip told by a master. As usual, Leonard set up an interesting scenario & played it to the hilt, skirting the edge of disbelief in the odd way people can interact. I loved the heroine. She, like the hero, was quite the tough cookie, but both had a gooey center & that made the story.

I would have rated this book higher if there had been some doubt as to the ending or there had been any other redeeming qualities othe
Bodosika Bodosika
Starting Words:Foley had never seen a prison where you could walk right up to the fence without getting shot.
Ending Words:"My little girl"her dad said,"The tough babe".

The first Elmore Leonard book I read was 'Riding the Rap',though it was interesting to an extent but a friend suggested I read 'Out of Sight' by the same author and promised to send it to me and he did.
Reluctantly I picked it up and started reading it,behold it was a good one.
To be honest this is an interesting book unlike 'Riding
Oana

Though classic Leonard, definitely dude lit, with fantastic dialogue and crime noir impression, this one had a secondary side of chemistry the likes of which is hard to find even in romance. Who would have thought Elmore Leonard had such a romantic streak. *wink*wink*
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover (done) 3 15 Apr 10, 2017 11:04PM
  • King Blood
  • Clandestine
  • Pale Gray for Guilt (Travis McGee #9)
  • The Hunter (Parker, #1)
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m ...more
More about Elmore Leonard...
“Well, does it make sense to you?"
He said, "It doesn't have to, it's something that happens. It's like seeing a person you never saw before - you could be passing on the street - and you look at each other..."
Karen was nodding. "You make eye contact without meaning to."
"And for a few moments," Foley said, "there's a kind of recognition. You look at each other and you know something."
"That no one else knows," Karen said. "You see it in their eyes."
"And the next moment the person's gone," Foley said, "and it's too late to do anything about it, but you remember it because it was right there and you let it go, and you think, What if I had stopped and said something? It might happen only a few times in your life."
"Or once," Karen said.”