Start by marking “The Confession of St. Patrick” as Want to Read:
The Confession of St. Patrick

The Confession of St. Patrick

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many, had for father the deacon Calpurnius, son of the late Potitus, a priest, of the settlement [vicus] of Bannavem Taburniae; he had a small villa nearby where I was taken captive. I was at that time about sixteen years of age. I did not, indeed, know the true God; and ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 6th 2010 by New Century Books (first published 425)

To ask other readers questions about The Confession of St. Patrick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confession of St. Patrick

Leah Good
Did you know that Saint Patrick was an Englishman? Did you know he was captured and made a slave in Ireland? Did you know the trial of kidnapping and slavery drove him to the Lord?

A few weeks before St. Patrick's day, Grace Mally published her Saint Patrick Gospel Tract. The brief tale of Patrick's life contained in the tract piqued my interest, so--after digging through my dresser for something with a hint of green this morning--I looked up Saint Patrick online and found this short book written
Fariba
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was struck by the beauty of this Confession. Here is my favorite passage: "And, of course, there, in a vision of the night, I saw a man whose name was Victoricus coming as if from Ireland with innumerable letters, and he gave me one of them, and I read the beginning of the letter: ‘The Voice of the Irish’; and as I was reading the beginning of the letter I seemed at that moment to hear the voice of those who were beside the forest of Foclut which is near the western sea, and they were crying a ...more
Josiphine/Tessa
This was a perfect little book to read on St. Patrick's Day. It's one of only two documents that we have from St. Patrick and it isn't very long. It discusses his history and his calling to be a missionary in Ireland. I really enjoyed it.
Katie
It's very cool that this text survived, and that we can get a (small) glimpse at the actual words and life of the real Patrick, who at this point is pretty distantly removed from his day of parades and four-leaf-clovers and lots and lots of beer.

It's still hard to figure out exactly who Patrick was (as we only see things from his side), but it's a great glimpse at a missionary who seems to have been very effective at his job, frequently to the annoyance of those around him. Patrick, who was ens
Greg Bodwell
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I had no knowledge of St Patrick (bedsides the name) before I read this book and now I feel like I have a better picture of who he was.
❄Elsa Frost❄
I read this along with St. Patrick's Epistola.

To be honest, I can understand why St. Patrick's life is steeped with legends. For one thing, he never mentions what "serious sin" he had committed that permitted his six years of slavery. Parts of it suggest that he idolized, parts suggested he might've committed adultery. And for all we know, this "serious sin" could've simply been his disbelief in God and maybe the sin of lying!

But this provided insight I wanted to see from St. Patrick's life. He
Christian Proano
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book 74 pages only, about 26 in Legal paper for pdf. The introduction alone is half book, excellent historical and critical analysis, one gets good context out of it. Comments from the author are distinctively protestant.

Confessions itself really deserve a 5 star, insightful and reflective, showing what was going on to God's servant while in ministry and at the end of his life.

A must read.
David Mosley
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in the following years:
2007
2009
2013 (17 March)
Brad Belschner
Yes, that's right folks, St Patrick's autobiography. Available free online here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/patrick/conf...
Christos Vasilopulos
Η αυτοβιογραφία του αγίου Πατρικίου της Ιρλανδίας. Μέσα από αυτό το έργο γνωρίζουμε σε βάθος αυτόν τον μεγάλο Ορθόδοξο άγιο ο οποίος διέδωσε το φως της Ορθοδοξίας στην Ιρλανδία και έσωσε τους ανθρώπους από τον παγανισμό. Αγαπώ ιδιαίτερα τα παρακάτω λόγια του αγίου Πατρικίου: "Πριν να έρθω κοντά στον Χριστό ήμουν μία πέτρα πεταμένη μέσα στον βούρκο όμως ο Χριστός με έβγαλε μέσα από τον βούρκο και με τοποθέτησε επάνω στον τοίχο."
Thomas McCullough
St. Patrick describes himself as " not learned". This becomes obvious early on because of his tangential comments and sometimes seemingly petty remarks, but I love him all the more because of these. St. Patrick the real human being is on full display in his short autobiography and the real St. Patrick is far more interesting and insightful than the fictional version. Get to know the real man.

"My name is Patrick, a simple countryman, and the least of all believers"
Lois
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this man, but I would rather read a biography. Patrick claims he is not a learned man, and it shows. The writing is not the best, and the better parts of this confession are quotations from others.
Davor
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short book. Incredible feeling to read a book, old 1500 years.
Mikelala
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice book.... also find this book there

Emma
Uninformative, unintelligible, uninteresting.
Marianna
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read.

I found this to be a excellent book. I like that it was what st Patrick wrote himself and not just someone writing about him.
Marie
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
He has one too many similarities with St. Augustine. He often reflects on how God has been all along with him, through his happiness and disgrace, although he's brought into slavery and is unlearned, unlike the Doctor of Grace.

Nevertheless, the natural tone in which he speaks of God is nothing but extremely suprising and yet familiar. To have such closeness with God is always a cherished thing by many believers, and I often wonder if hearing the voice of God in the writings is a metaphor for hi
Joshua Nuckols
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saint Patrick: "I am, then, first of all, countryfied, an exile, evidently unlearned, one who is not able
to see into the future, but I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone
cannot measure."
Richard Duncan
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very short book with encouraging reflections from a dynamic Missional Leader.

St Patrick shows a great heart to return to and to reach out to evangelize and plant missional communities on an island (Ireland) where was once held as a slave.

St. Patrick had a deep, abiding love for Christ, His Word, and the Kingdom. I was inspired by many of his words.

For example, he wrote, "I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in hi
Timothy Darling
This is not my edition of the work, but it does represent the version I read courtesy of CCEL. This is without a doubt, one of the essential readings of classic faith literature. I think every Christian could benefit from reading it. Patrick springs forth from a time before there was Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant, and represents the early church as it was spreading in its childhood. We see in Patrick the virtue of mutual confession, along with its dangers; the selfless sacrifice of the missi ...more
Evan Hays
I enjoyed reading this very much, and I would recommend it to anyone. It is not long, and is freely available online. In addition to it being a great historical resource (for example, there is a very interesting parallel to the Nicene Creed in Patrick's introduction; after all, the main councils had happened within the last 75 years or so of when Patrick was writing), they are very interesting as theology and devotional. Patrick is writing near the end of his life to defend himself against sland ...more
English
This book is great on two levels, first as a spiritual classic and secondly, though perhaps surprisingly as a Historical source.

Patrick's spiritual journey and insights are both fascinating and challenging, and the information he gives on the governing and ecclesiastical authorities in post-roman Britain hardly suggest a society that was in terminal decline.

The Confession also shows that Christianity was well established in the 5th century, and that British Chrisitians of the period had far mor
Petros
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, in so far as the translation of the actual text by Saint Patrick is concerned. It is a first class historical document, and also more than that - the private thoughts of a man of rare legendary stature.

I didn't care for all of the editor's personal thoughts that ran on a while before the actual Patrician document appears. I would suggest getting right into the words of Patrick, and hearing him rather than the apologetics of a modern viewpoint speculating from outside the super
Joseph
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
When I ordered this from the library I was expecting something along the lines of The Confessions of St. Augustine. I was sorely mistaken. While St Augustine was a master of rhetoric and an eloquent apologist, St Patrick was a much more down to earth person. His Confession is much shorter than St Augustine's, but it has a poetic eloquence all its own.

St Patrick touches on the major aspects of his life, his capture and journey to Ireland as a slave, his eventual escape, and his return as Bishop a
Seth
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description on Amazon says this book includes the Letter to Coroticus. In fact there is no such letter in the book. I know the book only costs 99 cents. I just think if an ebook is supposed to contain something which is really missing, then the seller is making a false claim. I feel like I got only part of what I was promised when I purchased the ebook, and now, due to the nature of ebooks, there is no way to get a refund or even partial refund.
JoSh Yi
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His love for Christ holds true as deep as his love for Ireland. I was curious to know of a man with a holiday named after him. A day solely dedicated to him brought much curiousity. This short read written by the man himself, brought me to tears. The love for the Father and his revelations about the Holy Spirit in such a humble manner is precious. It wouldn't surprise me if the miracles and rumours swirling his name and exploits to advance the Gospel holds true. Thanks Saint Patrick!!!
Joel Travis
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this on the eve of St Patricks day after returning from Boston festivities. I was blown way by his story and read it cover to cover (Google Book) that night. He was soverignly led by God in many ways throuh his life and it was his obedience that made all the difference. He was bold but submitted to the call on his life. There is a recent translation released by the Royal Irish Academy for free which I highly recommend.
Josh Maddox
An interesting account of the life of St. Patrick. The two documents in this book are also available online at

Both of these are quite short. They are also the only writings we have from St. Patrick himself.
Ben Laur
Saint Patrick gives an account of his past ministry, largely in the form of a defense, similar to Paul. Clearly Patrick was a man filled with the Spirit who strongly felt the need of the unreached nations and would gladly risk his life to reach them with the good news.
Ben
Since I am not celebrating Saint Patrick's day this year by watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People, I read Saint Patrick's autobiography instead. It was much more interesting than I thought it would be, although there is nothing about chasing snakes from Ireland. Extremely quick read.
  • The Collected Works of St. Teresa of Ávila, Vol. 1
  • The Poems of St John of the Cross
  • The Life of St. Anthony
  • Life of St. Columba
  • The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur: The Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband from Atheist to Priest
  • Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina
  • St. Patrick of Ireland
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • The Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism
  • Trustful Surrender to Divine Providence: The Secret of Peace and Happiness
Saint Patrick (Latin: Patricius; Primitive Irish: *Qatrikias; Old Irish: Cothraige; c. 387 – 17 March, 493) was a Romano-Briton and Christian missionary, who is the most generally recognized patron saint of Ireland (although Brigid of Kildare and Colmcille are also formally patron saints).

Two authentic letters from him survive, from which come the only universally accepted details of his life. Whe
More about St. Patrick...

“I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in his mercy raised me up and, indeed, lifted me high up and placed me on top of the wall. And from there I ought to shout out in gratitude to the Lord for his great favours in this world and for ever, that the mind of man cannot measure.” 7 likes
“57. For which reason I should make return for all that he returns me. But what should I say, or what should I promise to my Lord, for I, alone, can do nothing unless he himself vouchsafe it to me. But let him search my heart and [my] nature, for I crave enough for it, even too much, and I am ready for him to grant me that I drink of his chalice, as he has granted to others who love him.” 5 likes