Start by marking “The Adventure of the Dying Detective” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Dying Detective

The Adventure of the Dying Detective

(Sherlock Holmes Chronicles #40)

This scarce antiquarian book is a facsimile reprint of the original. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment for protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature in affordable, high quality, modern ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of the Dying Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure of the Dying Detective

Start your review of The Adventure of the Dying Detective
Aishu Rehman
Exina
Holmes tricks a murderer to confess his deed. Watson is oblivious, as usual.

Not the best SH story. It was okay. 2 stars.
Charles  van Buren
Holmes spends most of this story in bed

Review of free Kindle edition
A Public Domain Book
Publication date: May 12, 2012
Language: English
ASIN: B0082XID88
33 pages

This, the 46th Sherlock Holmes story, was published in the U.S. in Collier's November 22, 1913. The first British publication was in The Strand Magazine, December, 1913. Subsequently, it has been sometimes published simply as The Dying Detective. It was later published in a collection of eight short stories entitled His Last Bow, Some Remi
Jason Donoghue
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have come to the end of my admiration of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the character Sherlock Holmes. I found myself almost falling asleep listening to this audio-book, when my mind begins to think of other things it is a sign, it is not a good story.

Sir Arthur seems to use the same template with each story, and after ten or more stories you will begin to see it. Sherlock Holmes is always smarter than who he faces off against apart from in one story which was one of the better stories. Having Ho
Jason Parent
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this one even though it is absolutely and utterly predictable, for the mere lengths Sherlock is willing to go to be an ass to Watson.

... and again, Watson just takes it.
AhmEd MokhTar
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: his-last-bow
Mrs. Hudson is very worried about Sherlock Holmes
Mr. Watson went to see his doctor
But why all this ?
Yes Sherlock Holmes is sick
The doctor came and told Sherlock he would die
But what caused the disease ?
Abigail Harris
I've reread this several times and still enjoy it. Better then the shows too... And I enjoyed those though I didn't like all of the creepiness.
Saman
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Of all ruins, that of a noble mind is the most deplorable."
Holmes was ill with a coolie disease from Sumatra. Only Mr.Culverton Smith could cure him of his illness. Unfortunately, he holds a grudge against him for the death of his nephew, Victor Savage.
Was Holmes responsible for his death? Will Culverton cure him of his illness?
The story despite being short engaged with every aspect thoroughly.
Molly
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolute favorite Sherlock Holmes stories. This is one that Messrs. Gatiss and Moffat desperately need to consider for an upcoming series of Sherlock. It would showcase the brilliance of Cumberbatch, Freeman and co. to the highest levels. Such an incredible story...
Jen 3_Piets
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
6/5 stars for an excellent performance by Sherlock Holmes (and reading by the exceptional Mr Simon Vance). I knew the story generally already from the BBC Sherlock series but this was better than that. Brilliant and well done ACD.
Jemma
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hah, smart ;)
Yi Sheng
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It covers the angles well.
Veena Vijayan
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes never leaves us disappointed. In this short read, once again the writer has shown us the intelligence and quirkiness of our beloved Sherlock Holmes.
Jeff Yoak
One of the things that I dislike about Holmes is his willingness to lie to and hurt Watson to achieve some minor end, as though the matter was of no importance to him. The Big Lie, his own death which Watson believed for meany years, is the best example of that. This is a similar story boiled down -- someone attempts to poison Holmes and he wishes the would-be poisoner to believe it is working. To that end, he convinces Watson that it worked knowing that Watson will seem absolutely genuine to th ...more
Danna
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is one of the lesser in the Sherlock Holmes Adventures. Instead of focusing on intellect and wit for both the reader and Sherlock, the main focuses are how well he can use Watsons trust for him and manipulate it. That is the biggest factor. It's still got elements of a Holmes mystery, however minute they are, but this one probably shouldn't have been published.
John Yelverton
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's difficult to review this without giving away significant plot points, but it's more of an adventure than a mystery for Sherlock Holmes has it all figured out before Doctor Watson begins the first word of his narration.
Catherine Hutinett
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Jody Heim
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My review

I give this book only 1 star. Not the best from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Thought it was going to be much better.
Zainab Al saba'a
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Master piece. This one is absolutely magnificent. Poor Watson though
An-Nisa Nur'aini
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I am somewhat exhausted; I wonder how a battery feels when it pours electricity into a non-conductor?”

4,5. I nearly gave the story a five-star... :')
Gabriela
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite Holmes stories! I never get tired of reading it!
Mary Harmon
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Watson is called to the bedside of his friend Sherlock Holmes. When he arrives he finds that the detective is dying. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has written another masterpiece.
Riya Agarwal
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you gripped till the very end!
Ayla Berg
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok

I generally really enjoy reading a Sherlock Holmes story every once in a while. Having read the majority of them, however, I found this story to be somewhat disappointing.

After ignoring the Victorian sexism in the introduction, you are presented with a mystery of sorts, just like in the other stories. This time, however, the mystery only revolves around the deadly disease Holmes claims to have. Because you do not get to read the clues Holmes followed and the way the mystery was introduced to him

Lloyd Hughes
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mrs Hudson comes to Watson and tells him that Sherlock is dying. Watson rushes to his bedside where Sherlock tells him its true, and that it’s a rare foreign illness. Can it be true? Is Sherlock faking? Will he be cured? It’s only a 13 page read and 13 pages of Holmes is very, very good. 5 stars because Sherlock Holmes is essential reading for people who enjoy reading.
sofia
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2019
Ok, not the best Sherlock story !! I had the tv episode in my head while reading it and I have to say I preferred it. I read this because it was mentioned at a lecture as one of the first stories which had diseases used for murder! Fun! So I reckon it was a lot more shocking and enjoyable back when it was written and doesn’t have the same impact now!!
Azuma-chan
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
This is my favorite story from this collection, Holmes almost made me believe that he was sick and he's the careful man in my eyes, I mean how did he became careless and let that happen to him!? but the ending really surprised me so 5 stars for sure.
Basil H
Classic Sherlock Holmes: You can totally see what's coming, but, you know, it's Sherlock Holmes.
2.5/5 stars.
Catherine  Mustread
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, england
Listened to on Classic Tales podcast.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Scandal in Bohemia (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Adventure of the Six Napoleons
  • The Crystal Egg
  • The Strange Orchid
  • Scattered Crumbs
  • Visions: A Phantasy
  • Junkyard Cats
  • The Case of the Missing Will:  A Hercule Poirot Mystery
  • The Wedding Ring
  • The Plymouth Express: A Hercule Poirot Short Story (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
  • الرهينة
  • The Young King
  • بنت الإخشيد
  • Behind a Mask, Or, a Woman's Power
  • أسطورة النافاراي
  • Jeeves Takes Charge (Jeeves #3.1)
  • The Room in the Dragon Volant
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is u

Sherlock Holmes Chronicles (1 - 10 of 62 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 01 - Die Moriarty Lüge
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Coils of Time
  • Der Werwolf (Sherlock Holmes Chronicles 3)
  • Sherlock Holmes - Neue Fälle 05: Sherlock Holmes und der Teufel von St. James