Start by marking “The Redemption of Sarah Cain” as Want to Read:
The Redemption of Sarah Cain

The Redemption of Sarah Cain

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  3,827 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
A thoroughly modern woman, Sarah Cain has long disdained her sisters plain lifestyle. But when news comes of her sisters death, Sarah is stunned to learn she has been named guardian of her children. How can Sarah sacrifice her successful career and a life she enjoys to raise five Amish orphans she barely knows?
Published June 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published July 1st 2000)

Cassandra
This book intrigued me because of the movie trailer. If I know that a movie is based on a book, I have to read the book before watching the movie. I haven't watched the movie yet but I'm actually hoping it's different.

I thought the character development was decent over the first half of the story but couldn't understand why Sarah changed her mind and attitude so quickly about Christianity and the Plain culture. It seemed unrealistic that she would go from materialistic and unbelieving to, well.
Ilka
Jun 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin
I really enjoyed reading ‘The Redemption of Sarah Cain’. I have not
yet seen the movie and I haven't been able to find the original book,
as this is the movie edition of the book. I do look forward to reading
the other version of the book as well as watching the movie to
compare. Beverly Lewis is one of my favorite authors of the Amish
genre and the story didn't disappoint. Most of the books I read are
about the Old Order Amish so I was rather surprised that this one is
about the New Order Amish and to
Keri
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I prevoiusly saw The Redemption of Sarah Cain as a movie on Lifetime and thought it was really cute. I picked up the book and decided to give it a try and ended up being really disappointed. In a rare occassion, I found the movie to be better than the book it was influenced by.

The Redemption of Sarah Cain tells the story Sarah Cain, an "Englicsher," and her five Amish nieces and nephews she is forced to look after. I expected the book to be more like the movie, but it was completely different. I
Jeni Enjaian
It has been a long time since I read this book. I do not recommend it.
The entire plot was made of fluff. Absolutely nothing delved deep. Lewis skimmed along the surface for all of the characters. Each character, especially Sarah, felt flat and ill-developed. For a book with the title of "The Redemption of Sarah Cain," the narrative devoted little time to the title event. Everything worked out perfectly, of course.
This book went immediately into the donate pile.
Jaina
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All right, I just finished this book, so I probably shouldn't be writing a review before I have time to absorb it. But there are some things I want to say before I forget, so I'm doing it anyway!

I picked this book up because I've read Beverly Lewis' Shunning trilogy (and seen the movies), which I enjoyed more. I enjoy amish literature. And (OK, this is the real reason) I saw the trailer for the movie. Only later did I realize the book and the movie are two very different things, and I still thin
Heidi-Marie
I chose this to complete the "Read a book about a religion not your own" in the Book Challenge. So, all right, Amish is still Christian as I am. But like my religion, the two live in such ways that distinctly separate us from other Christian religions. In my religion's case, that's only one thing that separates us, though! And from this book, I really didn't get too many details on specific beliefs of the Amish. Just that they believe in the Bible, and prayer, and the Holy Ghost. Nothing foreign ...more
Madi
I started this book not knowing what I was going to think of it. I was afraid it would end up being slow or dull, but I had no reason to worry! This is the first Beverly Lewis book that I've actually read (I've listened to 2 others on audiobook). I enjoyed so much more than I would have ever thought possible! I could hardly bear to it down to do things like school and eating. XD
I love Beverly Lewis' works so much, they make you think about life in ways you haven't before. This story had such a d
Dee Toomey
The story was a good one until the ending. I felt like the author was in a hurry to find a solution to the conflicts making the ending "flat" and unsatisfying for me. You may very well love the story, and even the ending. I am not saying do not read this book. I am just saying the way I felt about the book.
Samantha
Mar 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, own
The Redemption of Sarah Cain is one of the best books I've read in recent weeks. The storyline is simple, yet portrayed in such a way that you feel the book holds a much deeper meaning.
Beverly Lewis shows great compassion over feelings, and I love how she intertwines her heritage into her writing.
Iwill definetly read more of her books.
Jessica Kundert
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I was honestly nervous to read it because I've heard many people say it's not as good as it sounds and I honestly was amazed how much I enjoyed it! You can really relate with Sarah's character and you really do get attached to all of the other characters in the novel!
Cindy Moyer
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good story about love and forgiveness. Love the ending.
Angela
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story!
Amanda Moore
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Beverly Lewis books 📚are meant to be read and shared by family members and friends. I hope that she continues to write them.
Pamela
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at first wasn't sure if I would like it but I grew to love it. cried in parts and laughed in others
Camille
The Redemption of Sarah Cain by Beverly Lewis

I was graciously sent this book by Bethany House Publishers, and I could not be more glad.

I have to say, I really enjoyed The Redemption of Sarah Cain.

Beverly Lewis is probably one of the more well-known Amish fiction authors, but this was the first book of hers I have read, and I definitely was not let down.

Crystal
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Beverly Lewis did an outstanding job.. i loved it.. finished it in two days couldn't put the book down.
This book really kept me wanting more.. i seriously really got into this book..
The Redemption of Sarah Cain is primarily told from the viewpoint of Lydia Cottrell who is the oldest of five Amish children. Several years prior their father died, and then a few years later, their mother, Ivy Cain Cottrell passed away too, leaving the five Cottrell children as orphans.

Lydia is the oldest and at on
Paulin
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fiction
Finished "The Redemption of Sarah Cain" by Beverley Lewis. It's a story set in the Lancaster County where the very few Amish lived. My 6th book installment for the month of May.

Learned that it's not the amount of things that you have in life that makes you wealthy but the love of your friends and family that makes you rich.

The trappings of this life pulls us down when we are called to travel light. We are not supposed to accumulate things, instead we are told to have friends as many of them as p
Rachel Brand
I remember snagging this book on BookMooch when I first discovered Amish fiction back in 2009, but somehow it languished on my shelves until now. I've thoroughly enjoyed some of Beverly Lewis' older books, especially her Abram's Daughters series, but I've not been such a fan of her more recent works. This one fell somewhere in between. The writing wasn't bad and the characters weren't flat (which has been my criticism with her most recent series) but it wasn't overly compelling or interesting ei ...more
AlixJamie
Monkeyface
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to The Redemption of Sarah Cain by Beverly Lewis
Lydia Cottrell, eldest of five Amish orphans, made a promise to her dying mother to "keep the family together". But soon she discovers that guardianship has been granted to a virtual stranger - a well-to-do aunt from Portland, Oregon, who cares little for Mamma's last wish. Lydia's struggle to keep the promise may cost her the loss of "the sweetest, kindest, and most handsome Plain boy in all of Lancaster County" - Levi King.
A throughly m
Jodi
Jan 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I've had a hard time deciding what to rate this book. Because I started a 2 week vacation when I was only 20 pages or so into the book, it was hard to come back to and read so sporadically over a whole 3 week period. It took me 2 weeks to get through the first third of the book and a week to finish the rest of it. I think I would have liked it much better if I could have read it quicker.

This was my first "Amish" book to read. The Amish language kind of got to me after a while, but it wasn't terr
Angela
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot unfolds with a successful and very busy woman, Sarah, finding out that her Amish sister has passed away, leaving her the legal guardian of her five Amish children. There's a clash of cultures, and a determination of priorities as Sarah works out the situation. The book is labeled Christian Fiction, so there's more of an emphasis on her spiritual journey in the book than in the movie. The story made me think about faith and culture and choices.

The book also made me want to be Amish. Seri
Christina
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been in an extremely long reading slump. I have tried out all different genres and not much seemed interesting to me. I picked this up at a local 2nd hand book shop on a whim. I have never read anything by Beverly Lewis, but was looking for some Christian fiction.
On the note of Christian fiction. I have read a lot of reviews on this book, and many down rate this novel for the very Christian themes and opinions. If you dislike Christian themes this book and author is not for you.

For me, ho
Christina
I was excited to discover that the movie that sparked my interest in the Amish, “Saving Sarah Cain,” was actually a book. should have know that The Redemption of Sarah Cain would not live up to my expectations as that seems to be my luck with books-to-movies.

Boring, bad characterizations, and a poorly written narrative and plot, The Redemption of Sarah Cain was a complete disappointment. The story line is not as fleshed out as her other novels, and the story becomes difficult to follow with two
Donna Bagby
I enjoyed the book. Sarah Cain has always felt displaced and unworthy because of her older sister, Ivy, who was very domineering. As soon as possible Sarah went off to college and became a teacher. Unfortunately there was a tragic accident during her watch on the playground, causing her more guilt and shame. Meantime her sister Ivy had married and converted to Amish living in Lancaster County. Ivy has also five children. Both parents die within three years of each other leaving the children orph ...more
Sue
Oct 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I know books and movies are different mediums and changes have to be made as books are turned into movies. I accept this. But I was very surprised in this case. I liked the movie-it's lovely and heart-warming, so I decided to read the book, knowing it would be a little different. I am amazed that the movie makers paid the author for the rights and then paid a screenwriter to write a totally different story. As far as I could see, the only things in the movie that came from the book are the chara ...more
Kirsten
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
similar to Coop, this is not great literature - but after a recent trip to Lancaster County in PA, I really wanted to read a novel about the Amish. I didn't realize that they live so close to the "outside world" - I was somehow under the impression that they were very removed and lived in some sort of compound. but no! they're shopping at target! buggy parking is everywhere! they wave when you drive past!

so this book tells the story of Sarah, who is faced with a dilemma when her estranged sister
Kendra
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Beverly Lewis although sometimes I get frustrated with the dialogue. Because of my job I come across and deal with a lot of Amish and I've never once heard them speak the way Beverly portrays. Then again, I rarely come across Pennsylvania Dutch so it might be regional.

I enjoyed The Redemption of Sarah Cain. I like that the ending wasn't expected. My one issue with this book was that it only took a week for Sarah to completely change her life. While I get that sometimes people do change q
Debby
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling, interesting, just not the best written book but I still recommend it. A little too sickly sweet in parts, predictable in others. I could have put this down at the beginning. I suspected parts of this book. At about halfway through, I cared if Lydia got together with Levi. Sarah, I could have cared less about her relationship with Bryan. She was somewhat soul less to me. I guess that was her character, shallow and concerned with the worldly things. I still did not see much redemption. ...more
  • Plain and Fancy (Brides of Lancaster County, #3)
  • When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt, #3)
  • Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • A Man of His Word (Hearts of Middlefield, #1)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...