Start by marking “Mark of the Lion Trilogy” as Want to Read:
Mark of the Lion Trilogy

Mark of the Lion Trilogy (Mark of the Lion #1-3)

4.76  ·  Rating details ·  10,132 Ratings  ·  748 Reviews
No highlights or markings on pages. In good condition.
Published September 1st 1998 by Tyndale House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Mark of the Lion Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mark of the Lion Trilogy

Kay
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the BEST series I've read. This is another author I resisted reading...for y-e-a-r-s because I had preconceived opinions about what she would write because she's a Christian.

I was so very, very wrong.

The story begins in early Rome with a young girl character. By the end of the book, she's grown, and you will have run a gamut of emotions, experienced love, total suspense, extreme pain, joy, tears, hope, fear, and burning anger, and I would be surprised if you don't lie awake man
Elizabeth Tai
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has got to be the best, and I mean, THE best Christian trilogy I've ever read. You know those good ol movies such as Ben Hur and The Robe? This trilogy reminded me of the movies. In fact, how I wish they would make a movie out of the books!

The only problem I have with the series (two of the books anyway) is Hadassah, the heroine of the tale. She was too perfect, too good, and... she spoke Christianese. What I'm saying is this - nobody is that perfect a Christian in real life. Although Hadas
Alicia Platz
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved, them!!! These are can't put down, aren't going to feed the kids or the dog, not doing laundry kind of books!
Kristine
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books 1 & 2 need to be read as if they are one book. If not, all the darkness (esp Julia) in book 1 may turn you off bc it nearly did for me. Plus, it's tough to get into at first, but don't give up. Book 2 is the redemption part! SO good. I loved it! Couldn't get enough of book 2 and I didn't want it to ever end.

I have mixed feelings about Book 3. I rated it 3.5 stars/5 but I was disappointed about the last quarter of the book, esp Atretes treatment of Rizpah. It's still a good book but it
Aimee
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say how much I love these books! I read them every couple of years. The characters come alive and I think about them often. Sometimes I will find myself asking "what would Hadassah do in this situation?" A MUST READ!!
Melissa McCurdy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These three books are amazing! The first book takes a little while to get pulled into, but once you do, you won't put either of the books down! Amazing series with several stories being told within. Top 10 of my favorite books!
Amanda
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Francine Rivers books never fail to give me deeper insight into the heart of Christ and His love for the world, as well as spark my faith. Reading these books is a reminder of the power and presence of Christ. The author doesn't shrink from hard topics or gloss over human pain. It's all there, raw and un-hidden, a testament to the glory of God.

These books are passionate and emotional, so prepare yourself for all kinds of drama. I am both passionate and emotional, so the series fit me well, but
Dee Toomey
Oct 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The "Mark of the Lion" series was wonderfully written. The author, Francine Rivers, has done her homework, and writes about the tyranny of Rome (about 200 AD)in a way that transports you back to that era. Indeed, to crack the cover of these books and begin reading is very like discovering a time-machine and traveling back in time.

As Jerusalum falls, you are there, feeling the terror of the Jewish people and early Christains as Rome persecutes and and nearly exterminates a whole group of people.
Jackie Schnupp
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was never a reader of Christian fiction, but this collection was recommended by a good friend; she was reading it aloud to her family, and said they had a hard time putting it down. They couldn't wait to return to it the next evening.

I found myself in the same situation. This is so well done - every single book holds the interest and the reader is hard-pressed to take a break. I became very invested in the main characters and was dying to know what happened next.

Highly recommended. I have the
Jessie LaPorte
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series ever!
Sally
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best books I've ever read!
Lea Lea
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
How else would I know anything about Roman culture and come up with the name, "Hadassah" for a child! I read these as a young girl and look forward to enjoying them again with my children.
Ginger
Sep 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: bookclub, favorites
Best books I've ever read in my life. Period.
Angela Joy
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great series! Couldn't put the books down!
Morgan
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Morgan by: Kari Way
Shelves: christian
Now, I was a little apprehensive about these books at first because they were (cough, cough) "Historical Christian Romance" novels. Hmmm. But everyone at church kept going on and on about them. Including Kari Way. Now, Kari isn't the super girlie mushie lovie dovie type, so I concluded that they must be decent and not super cheesy. Which they weren't.

The first two books follow a young Jewish Christian girl named Hadassah as she is taken captive to Rome after Jerusalem and the temple are destroye
Jane
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5, adding each volume together. I read them as separates but am writing a review of the trilogy as a whole.

v.1-2. How a slave girl from Judea, Hadassah, changes the lives of members of a Roman family living at the time of the Flavian emperors. The first two books in the trilogy I felt were superior. The Christian message was just enough for my taste, not overwhelming the action. The example of Hadassah's life spoke volumes to me and to the family.

The third volume carries on with the
Nicole
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
These books are a great way to learn about what it was like for early Christians. They're set around 79 AD - sort of the first to second generation after Jesus was alive. Jerusalem has just fallen, Christians are being persecuted. Rome is at the height of decadence. Gladiator contests in the arena reign supreme for entertainment. Paul has just written letters to the churches in several major cities.

Even though they're very fictional accounts, I really appreciated the insight these books gave int
Kelly Garcia
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and addictive!!!!

Well-written, storyline that weaves the characters and places and happenings together addictively. Great for readers who love to know, really KNOW the characters and their struggles. If you aren't familiar with the story's timeline and culture, you definitely will be by half-way through the first book. This is not a quick read, but definitely so addictive you can't put it down. Emotionally and spiritually compelling, not watering down how enticing and destructive some te
Susan Shipman
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMGosh. This is a must-read, must have for Christians. Trust me, this is no boring, dull, spiceless "Christian" book.

It is exciting and allows us to visualize life fifty to one hundred years after Christ's death. How they yearned for letters from Paul. How they gathered in secret to read a letter from a disciple. It opens your eyes to the reality of how dangerous it was to be a Christian in that time. Frankly, you want to grab your bible and read Ephesians with a different set of eyes.

It is viol
Ronda Koch
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Are there words to express?!?!? What a marvelous work!!!!!!!! Thank you Jesus and thank you Francine Rivers for using your gifts to glorify the Lord!! I am so encouraged and inspired- my faith is greatly increased. I have only read 2/3 books thus far but I have to pause in my Mark of the Lion series marathon to stop and thank you and hope that this review will spark interest in everyone and anyone to read these books. SO powerful. I want to thank my SIL, auntie and cousins for encouraging me to ...more
Elizabeth Allen
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By looking at the cheesy covers of these you'd never know that they are actually great historical fiction. I'm very picky with Christian fiction and Rivers is one of two writers in that genre that I enjoy. One could argue that parts are somewhat unbelievable but the early church age was full of signs and wonders. I love the mesh of Judaism and Christianity and I love learning more of the ancient cultures of Rome and Ephesus. Interesting to read this trilogy after the Hunger Games. There are grea ...more
Amy Ingle
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite historical fiction series to date! Francine Rivers is the best Christian Fiction author out there, in my opinion. She uses great descriptions so the reader really breathes the essence of the book and puts themselves there right along side the main characters. I love her! She quotes and refers to scripture often in her writing, and it is not a watered-down Christianity. She has strong beliefs about tough topics and is not afraid to be vocal about it, even if it makes the read ...more
Scott Dow
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read, bringing to life the incredibly dangerous and dire circumstances under which early Christianity spread like wild fire. As 21st century Christians in the U.S., we know next to nothing about real faith, sacrifice and persecution. Francine Rivers brings to life a world in which professing belief in Jesus Christ often meant torture, imprisonment or even death.

This trilogy is a compelling read - highly recommended.
Donna Goetter
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
These books were hard for me. Then I couldn't put it down. A voice I the Wind is the 1st book, then An Echo in the darkness and last As sure as the dawn. These are about the time when the disciples were being persecuted along with the Christians. It is gory but what story isn't. Just look at the wars we have going on now. I recommend this trilogy and hope you got something great out of it about what you believe and how far you would go to save your life or the lives of others.
Karien De Villiers
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mark of the Lion Trilogy was literally my favourite series of all time read. The first and second installment had me up at night and completely anti-sociable. Although the story takes a while to build up, once you are hooked it is simply impossible to put down. Love love loved it!
Tracy Baxter
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Captivating best series I have ever read. It's been over a year since I read the trilogy and I still think of the characters often.
Kala
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
Uriah Blacke
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series is enjoyable, although only to certain people. I have found that the series ignores many basic historical truths in favor of a tone more in line with evangelical Christianity that Francine Rivers converted to. Immediate identification of Jesus as one and the same with God and a member of the Trinity by Christians in the First Century, what appears to be a confusion of Aramaic and Hebrew, and having characters quote New Testament books extensively, even in light of simple historical i ...more
Amy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this series ten stars, that wouldn't be enough.

Rivers wrote this trilogy as her statement of faith after leaving the secular romance genre. I cannot even begin to say how much I love these books. Along with being page turners, they are spiritually rich with lessons that are still relevant today. the characters are exquisitely executed and their feelings are so real, the reader can't help but imagine himself within the pages, walking and talking with Marcus and Hadassah.

I've rea
Carissa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I skipped through this quite a bit. While not my favorite book, it was interesting historically. I accidentally read a group of books together: Flames of Rome, Mark of the Lion Trilogy, How the Irish Saved Civilization, and Trinity and basically had an ongoing historical timeline of this era. That was the main thing that made it interesting.
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • Safely Home
  • The Zion Covenant (Zion Covenant, #1-#6)
  • Mine Is the Night (Here Burns My Candle, #2)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Francine Rivers continues to win both industry acclaim and reader loyalty around the globe. Her numerous bestsellers include Redeeming Love, A Voice in the Wind, and Bridge to Haven, and her work has been translated into more than thirty different languages. She is a member of Romance Writers of America's coveted Hall of Fame as well as a recipient of the Lifetime ...more
More about Francine Rivers

Mark of the Lion (3 books)
  • A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)
  • An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2)
  • As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Stand firm in the Lord, Hadassah. Stand firm and let him fight your battles. Do not try to fight alone.” 5 likes
“What do you want of God, Roman?” It was an imperious question from so small a boy, and was said with a curious blend of humility and demand. “I’ll know when I face him.” “Perhaps the answers you seek can’t be found in something you can see and touch.” Amused, Marcus smiled. “You have big thoughts for a small boy.” The boy grinned. “A shepherd has time to think.” “Then, my little philosopher, what would you advise?” The boy’s smile faded. “When you face God, remember he is God.” “I’ll remember what he’s done,” Marcus said coldly. “That, too,” the boy said almost gently.” 2 likes