Start by marking “My Man Jeeves” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

My Man Jeeves

(Jeeves #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  39,589 ratings  ·  2,639 reviews
Meet affable, indolent Bertie Wooster and his precise, capable valet, Jeeves, two men of very different classes and temperaments whose relationship is the source of some of the finest humorous writing in English literature.
Audiobook, 256 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about My Man Jeeves, please sign up.
Caitlin You can tell that Douglas Adams was inspired by Wodehouse's clever play on words. Both authors are a pleasure to ready simply because of the language.…moreYou can tell that Douglas Adams was inspired by Wodehouse's clever play on words. Both authors are a pleasure to ready simply because of the language...and the wacky characters thrown together. The biggest differences (aside from genre) are that Wodehouse planned his plots painstakingly, while Adams seemed to throw plot twists together haphazardly. (Although, Adams is much more politically aware...hmm.) Either way, both authors provide wonderfully fun and lighthearted reads.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Dianne Yes quite a few of PGW's books run along similar lines. But the pleasure is the witty language and the hilariously described situations that follow. I…moreYes quite a few of PGW's books run along similar lines. But the pleasure is the witty language and the hilariously described situations that follow. I've just finished the Psmith series and simply loved them. (though Journalist is not exactly the best of them).
And do read Code of the Woosters. A novel that does not have the same theme. But the most hilarious one!
(less)

·  39,589 ratings  ·  2,639 reviews

Start your review of My Man Jeeves
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Sir?' said Jeeves, kind of manifesting himself. One of the rummy things about Jeeves is that, unless you watch like a hawk, you very seldom see him come into a room. He's like one of those weird chappies in India who dissolve themselves into thin air and nip through space in a sort of disembodied way and assemble the parts again just where they want them.

Most people today probable associate Jeeves with the man that has all the answers not because they have read P.G. Wodehouse, but because they
Bradley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read 2022:

Breakdown of a few stories.

Leave it to Jeeves - This was my first intro to Jeeves and especially Bertie Wooster. Bertie is a right moron but he has so much stupid energy he's actually a delight. Jeeves manages him quite nicely.
I've gotta feel sorry for the rest of the "Right" set. Or not. They're all babes in the woods. Maybe that's why these are classics.

Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest - What really sets these stories apart is the absurdity, the tiniest little things becoming the dir
Gene
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This book is a big improvement over the first one, The Man with Two Left Feet and Other Stories. This one contains 9 stories with 5 of them telling Jeeves and Wooster adventures in New York. The first one was decent enough, but nothing to write home about; the next one finally delivered: it was amusing, clever, and the way Jeeves dealt with yet another difficult situation finally made me his big fan. I also need to mention that these 5 were all good: some better some worse, but in general good.
Apatt
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
What ho! This Goodreads review lark is a rummy thing. Here I sit, drinking buckets of tea, that indispensable tissue restorative, waiting for the old muse to come up with something, squeezing the old bean until it turns purple, and the blighted screen remains stubbornly blank. What is a frightful chump like me to do? How interesting it must be to be one of those animal-trainer Johnnies: to stimulate the dawning intelligence, and that sort of thing.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, best portrayal of J
Sean Gibson
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re in the throes of dark days, you’ve got three main options to turn to in order to get you through: mind-altering substances, food, and P.G. Wodehouse. While there are very few things a good Old Fashioned and a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies can’t improve, Wodehouse might be the most effective remedy of all.

As noted in a review of another Wodehouse classic, Jeeves and Wooster stories are highly formulaic, and the delight in reading them comes not from plot, but from Wodeho
Fabian
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories of rich men being nice to their fellow rich friends, or deceiving their rich families, are everywhere. That there is an inherent goodness in Wooster (or his doppelganger, Pepper--Wodehouse switches protagonists & they are pretty identical other than by name, which is indeed part of the theme that all aristocrats are equally dim) may be the takeaway here, in these modern times. Jeeves is the perpetual Everyman, trapped in a world he's too good for, being appreciated & always adulated by t ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1), P.G. Wodehouse

My Man Jeeves is a collection of short stories by P. G. Wodehouse, first published in the United Kingdom in May 1919 by George Newnes. Of the eight stories in the collection, half feature the popular characters Jeeves and Bertie Wooster, while the others concern Reggie Pepper, an early prototype for Bertie Wooster.

Contents:
Rallying Round Old G
Trevor
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, literature
One of the things Good Reads is particularly good for is answering strange little questions about ourselves. Questions we might not think to ask otherwise, but then when we do ask make us wonder how else we would ever have known… For example, the other day it struck me that I don’t really read any Wodehouse in the Summertime. And I’ve been able to check when I read all my Wodehouse's and it is true. I guess the reason for that is that I don’t need his warmth and sunlight and laughter in the Summ ...more
Jason Koivu
I've read this all before! I know I sometimes complain that once you've read one Wodehouse story you've read them all, but no, I mean I literally have read all these stories already. Ah well, I've also seen every episode of shows like All In The Family or Are You Being Served? about half a dozen times, so why not give these wonderful words a rerun read through?

Well the answer would be because this is not Wodehouse's best effort at joining up words in a pleasing manner. He's had better goes at it
Jaya
3-faithful-to-nostalgia-stars
Re-reading childhood favorites may not always be a good idea.The caricatures images of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie will forever be etched in my mind as Jeeves and Wooster (can't imagine anybody else in the role of these two characters.) I don't know whether that is a good thing or not...
The stories did manage to make me giggle and break out into a chuckle once or maybe twice...can't say much beyond that. In all honesty it was just an okay read, which will be a 2 star
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Jeeves - my man, you know - is really a most extraordinary chap. So capable. Honestly, I shouldn't know what to do without him. On broader lines he's like those chappies who sit peering over the marble battlements in the Pennsylvania Station in the place marked 'inquiries'. You know the Johnnies I mean. You go up to them and say: 'When's the next train for Melonsquashville, Tennessee?' and they reply, without stopping to think, "Two-forty-Three, track Ten, change at San Francisco." And ...more
Trish
May 26, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. This did altogether NOT go the way I thought it would.

The almost slapstick-like comedic adventures Bertie Wooster and his valet, Jeeves, have are well known and beloved around the world. Loving British humour myself, I was very much looking forward to finally catching up with some classic Wodehouse.
Sadly, the short stories about all kinds of encounters the English gentleman has in NYC and the valiant saves Jeeves has to come up with didn't quite do it for me.

We get a lot of mini-tales that
Samadrita
The downside to acquainting yourself with Wodehouse, at a ripe old age, is that you don't glean anything else out of his writing other than the humor and that too appears to be strangely contrived in ways. And the repeated usage of words such as 'chappie', 'rummy' and 'chump' end up annoying you more than you thought was possible.
Another author I should have read as a teenager. *sigh*
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

My Man Jeeves collection felt like an appetizer to me, small bites of petit-fours and cucumber sandwiches that serve best at wetting my appetite for the main course.

1) Leave it Jeeves . Introduces the reader to the omniscient nature of Jeeves, "the brains of the establishment" as Bertie candidly admits. From picking the right clothes to sage advice about betting on the horse races, Jeeves is infallible. And when he's not 100 % successful, as in this opening short story, he can turn defeat into
Sarah Grace Grzy
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 16+ for interest
4.5 stars.

This was awesome.

British? Check. Hilarity? Check. Quirky characters? Check. Sidesplitting descriptions and dialogue? Check.

I just *love* all the British-isms in both dialogue and descriptions. Some I had to google to know what they meant, but that just made it all the more fun. Oh, to talk like a Brit! I have so many highlights on my kindle.

Bertie is a hilarious and quirky character, and his narration is just so fun to read. The situations he finds himself in are so amusing. And Jee
Deacon Tom F
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice book.

Jeeves is a great character. He always comes to the day when problems occur. It was very funny, even hilarious in places.

I certainly could use a Jeeves in my life. Oh, the pain of middle class....lol

The language is very British while being enchanting. It caused me to use the dictionary more than I usually do. It is from 1919 though as well as being British.

I recommend. A fun book.
J
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for the stories about Reggie Pepper; but what a great name!

The stories about Jeeves and Bertie were funny and entertaining.

After one or two tales they become redundant and a bit flat.

For more enjoyable versions of these stories about the most famous of butlers, watch Jeeves and Wooster with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie as the title characters.
Florencia
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny-and-ish
I’m not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it’s Shakespeare—or, if not, it’s some equally brainy lad—who says that it’s always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping. There’s no doubt the man’s right. ("Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest")

"Jerome, are you there?" That’s what I thought after reading the first pages of Wodehouse's My Man Jeeves. Their styles seemed
Antoinette
My first encounter with Bertie and Jeeves, as well as many other memorable characters. Fun and delightful. Classic British humour. Great audiobook.

Published:1919
Katie Lumsden
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed these stories - very good fun, a nice amount of silly, and I can't wait to read more Jeeves books! ...more
Melindam
What Ho!

The Jeeves&Wooster stories were jolly good (but there was 3 of them only, the rest were about Reggie Pepper) & P.G. was a ripping chap and not a blighter, doncherknow, but it is not his best collection, which means he made me smile a lot even though there were only a few LOL moments.

Toddle-oo.
Violeta
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jolly good old classic British humor- the best there is!
Anne

Pretty good set of short humorous stories.

This is the first thing I've read by Wodehouse, and from what I can tell from other reviewers, this isn't even his best stuff.
Looking forward to getting my hands on more!
Retired Reader
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned me this book, having read the entire series, and I found it to be very funny and delightful! My "to read" stack is so high, I didn't feel like continuing with the series but I may take it up again someday. Great characters... ...more
Kerrin
I read an article last year noting it was the 100th anniversary of the book My Man Jeeves by P.D. Wodehouse. It sounded like such a fun book, I added it to my "To Be Read List". It turns out Jeeves isn't my cup of tea.

My Man Jeeves is a collection of eight short stories.  Four of the stories feature Englishman Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves, who live in New York City and four stories are about Reggie Pepper, who lives in London. Both Reggie and Bertie are independently wealthy and do not wo
Gorab
By Jove!
These chappies leading a rummy life sipping in their stiff b.-and-s.
And all of a sudden Woosh! Jeeves and Bertie disappear to give way to Reggie and co.
Eh? What the deuce?
Overall this was bally awful!... what?
Vivian
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, 2019-odyssey
This is absolutely ridiculous and very amusing. Bertie Wooster is a an English gentleman of comfortable means who having mucked up an errand given by Aunt Agatha is hiding in New York City and enjoying a life of restrained pleasure. Not being the brightest bulb in the pack, he is fortuitously accompanied by his man Jeeves. Bertie is a helpful chap, and always extends an offer of assistance to friends; he provides emotional and financial support while Jeeves is the planner.

Stories included:
"Leav
Girish
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Jeeves-Wooster short story collection is akin to the wright brothers aircraft - surely a piece of genius but way ruddier than how you've grown to love them. My first audio book as well, this was a different experience.

The book is complete with all the buffoonery, muddled up scenarios, slapstick wit and wry English humor. A collection of 8 stories - 4 of which featuring Reggie Peppers who seems like the earlier version of Bertie, always trying to help his friends. Reggie Peppers is said
Allison Tebo
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, buy
P.G. Wodehouse is my kind of author. He’s witty, bubbly, irreverent, and has an odd mixture of taking everything serious and nothing seriously all at the same time. The zany slapstick has a veneer of sophisticated wit that gives it a certain panache and the stories are often a comedy of errors that expounds (with great enjoyment) on the simple absurdity of the ordinary human.

Quirky absurdity is on glorious display in this series of stories that had me laughing till I cried. To paraphrase anothe
Nathan Eaton
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stuff, 2016, funny
I was a bit worried about this one. I knew Wodehouse was always considered one of the great comedy writers. Two of my favorite authors (Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett) both listed him as an influence to their work. There were plenty of signs that I shouldn't have worried. So why did I? Just a few reasons.

- Comedy doesn't generally seem to stand the test of time as well as other genres. I generally don't find older comedy films all that funny. I'll get some flack for this, but I didn't find An

• Jeeves and the Wedding Bells
  • The Men Behind (Mamur Zapt, #4)
  • The Mamur Zapt and the Donkey-vous (Mamur Zapt, #3)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Jeeves and the King of Clubs
  • Stories: An Audio Collection
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn #6)
  • The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You
  • Go Tell it on the Mountain / Giovanni's Room / The Fire Next Time
  • 続・終物語 [Zokuowarimonogatari]
  • The Art of Lent: A Painting a Day from Ash Wednesday to Easter
  • The Tobacconist's Wife
  • Young Hellboy #4
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • The Real James Bond: A True Story of Identity Theft, Avian Intrigue, and Ian Fleming
  • The Haunting of Alma Fielding: A True Ghost Story
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey, #3)
See top shelves…
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry On, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)

Articles featuring this book

This year, we've all got more reason than usual to hunker down inside during the coldest months. Thankfully, those teetering WTR stacks can...
“What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”
465 likes
“I'm not absolutely certain of my facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare -- or, if not, it's some equally brainy lad -- who says that it's always just when a chappie is feeling particularly top-hole, and more than usually braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with a bit of lead piping.” 87 likes