Start by marking “Keeper of the Light” as Want to Read:
Keeper of the Light

Keeper of the Light

(Kiss River #1)

Dr. Olivia Simon is on duty in the emergency room of North Carolina's Outer Banks Hospital when a gunshot victim is brought in. Midway through the desperate effort to save the young woman's life, Olivia realizes who she is—Annie O'Neill. The woman Olivia's husband, Paul, is in love with.

When Annie dies on the operating table, she leaves behind three other victims. Alec O'N
Published March 29th 2011 by Mira (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Keeper of the Light, please sign up.
Lois Troup I would, but have only read the one. It made sence not like I had to read next.

Start your review of Keeper of the Light
♥ Marlene♥
What a horrible book. I am sorry. A very weird love triangle, oops How do you say that but then with 5 people? ;) fiveangle?

I have read some of this author's books and I did enjoy some but this ............
I had to stop reading.

The begin is quite interesting but then when you get to know the other characters (and they are all very unlikable!) it gets weird. Real weird and stupid.
Apparently everybody and their dogs loves this one red head woman. Men hate their wives because they compare them to
Pauline
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. I'm so glad I bought the trilogy.
I'm now starting book two.
Shaikha Alahmad
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, this book is exactly what I needed!

The drama and the twists are TOO good.
Unpredictable; kept me at the edge of my seat!
Never thought I'd love and enjoy this so much, such a satisfying book. ❤

Keeper of the Light is a romantic fiction, but it’s embedded with lots of lessons that we can apply to work and life.
It’s a story about love, loss, betrayal, forgiveness and starting over. As I was reading this book my heart ached so bad.

The story plot is wonderfully paced and the characters are
Maureen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
This book is one of my favorites from Diane Chamberlain. An awesome writer! Highly recommend all her books.
Carol
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another Diane Chamberlain novel I totally enjoyed even though it was just a little outdated (originally published in 1992). It did not, however, detract from the story as the 500 pages just flew by. Certainly look forward to reading more of DC's books!
Amy
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Ahhh here we go again. It does seem that every month I pull a Diane Chamberlain book out of my TBR Jar and I think to myself... 'maybe this one will change my mind' but alas it was not to be with this book. Fun Fact: I've actually read book 3 in the series without knowing it was even part of a trilogy until I checked on GoodReads. So it was all in all a bit of a weird experience because i've read about some of these characters in about 20 or so years so it was strange going back to them in this
Denise
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jodi Picoult fans
Recommended to Denise by: Readers at Diane's blog: www.dianechamberlain.com
This is the first book in a trilogy (other novels are Kiss River and Her Mother's Shadow).

Diane's books are always full of complex interesting characters, good plots, family relationships and drama, suspense and many secrets to be revealed in the end.
Jen
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was not my favorite of her books but it was still a good book. A friend who recently read this said it was too long and I couldn't agree more. Overall though Diane Chamberlain writes damn good stories that keep you engaged and wanting more at every turn of the page.
❤Marie Gentilcore
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, series, audiobook
I have yet to read a Diane Chamberlain book that I didn’t really, really enjoy. She is so adept at creating multifaceted characters and building her story layer by layer. The only bad thing about that is that it makes it hard to briefly summarize because there is so much to tell. Keeper of the Light was first published in 1992 but it doesn’t feel dated. And, I was really glad to find out there is a second book that focuses on Lacey O’Neill who was a young teen in book 1.
Diana  Davis
I really don’t know how to rate this book. To hate it or not? Chamberlain is a good author, and I love her style of writing. But this book, the story, really irritates me. Annie is a real f***ing bitch. She deserved to die. She’s so sick in the head. She’s ruined everybody’s life even after she’s dead!! So much so as Saint Annie hey? Paul is a stupid spineless of a man. Alec and Olivia are the real victims here although these 2 are also sometimes quite annoying. I guess Chamberlain has achieved ...more
Lainy
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Taken To Read - 1 day

Blurb From Amazon

As your husband grieves his mistress, You find yourself falling for the family she left behind. But she hid secrets that will destroy him...or you. Do you tell? I m going to die as punishment for all the bad things I ve done... You are on duty in the emergency room when, despite your desperate effort, the victim of a gunshot wound loses her life. She is Annie O Neill. The same woman your husband is in love with... Olivia can't watch any longer as her hu
Ann
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even attempt to properly describe this book to you, because it is way better than even the description on the back cover of the book! Really, the description of this book is the bare minimum of what it is really about. Yes that is the main idea, but there is so much more to it! Slowly throughout the novel, connections between people, events, and places are being made. As I read on, I was realizing more and more the weaving of the characters and their lives. The only way I can describe t ...more
Denise
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
3.0 out of 5 stars -- Soap opera at the Outer Banks!

The one thing that can ruin an otherwise good book for me is the ending of it. I don't know why I am so picky, but that is the big thing for me. I want the characters to be people I can admire and whose actions follow that quality. I was really looking forward to this book as I have come to expect great stories and in-depth relationship development with a Diane Chamberlain book. As this was one of her earlier novels (1992), I can see how she ha
Darla Stokes
I absolutely hated this book at first. A married couple separates because the husband is in love with a woman who has died, and with whom he apparently had only a superficial relationship. He reminded me of when my daughter was about 12 and was "in loooove" with a boy she'd never spoken to.

But I can't NOT finish a book, so I pushed on. Surprisingly, it did pick up in the last half of the book, with revelations that made the characters make more sense. But this was accomplished by the heavy use
Judy D Collins
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!! I do not believe Diane Chamberlain could write a bad book – everything she writes is extraordinary! I loved the book and looking forward to reading the other two in the Kiss River series, as just purchased the next two Nook books.

My favorite characters were Olivia and Alec!!. Wow, did Annie have everyone fooled along with Mary, the old lady! Loved the setting¸ the lighthouse, and the twists and turns which were page turners! Highly creative writer and each of her books are different
Erin
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Keeper of the Light" is Diane Chamberlain at her best! Once again we are introduced to fully rounded characters that are faced with choices and secrets that will either make them stronger or tear them apart.
Meridith
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
too much sex, and it seemed like a soap opera
Liz
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale of obsession and betrayal. Loved it!
Chloe
Truthfully, I didn't like a single character in this book and that made it a little hard to get invested. The relationships are under developed and unhealthy, the "perfect dead girl" trope is overdone and I just have read so much better by her. This book was one of her first, so I'm glad to say I think she gets a lot better, but I don't think her early stuff is for me.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
This book is about 2 couples- Paul and Olivia, and Alec and Annie. Olivia is an ER doctor and Annie is an artist
Sarah Convertito
Slow beginning, not my favorite book. Well written, but could have been a better story line.
Kiki Z
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Damn it, I have to retype this review. So excuse me if it's not as nice as it could be. Let's bullet point it because I can't remember everything I said.

--Odd writing style. For example, Clay calls his sister by their last name, which makes no sense to me. Characters are often referred to by their first and last names, which is unnecessary, and when it happens all the time, it takes away any meaning it might have had.

--Very 90s ideologically at points. Uncomfortably so.

--Paul is unlikable. He's
Gina
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
Chamberlain spins an absorbing tale of romantic obsession and betrayal. Beautiful artist Annie O'Neill is known as St. Anne on North Carolina's Outer Banks for her selfless devotion to any cause that comes down the pike--she's even donated bone marrow to a stranger in need. Her murder leaves her husband, Alec, shattered. Also broken are Olivia Simon, the emergency room physician who tried to save her, and the good doctor's husband, Paul, who idolized the victim. To recapture Paul's love, Olivia ...more
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]

I'm trying a new book review format. I just want to give you a short message on how Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain made me feel. And what better way than sending a postcard.

Quick Thoughts on Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain

Not many authors could have handled the complicated relationships without turning it to a farce. But in Diane Chamberlain's capable hands, it becomes an emotional and heartfelt story.  But be warned
Linda
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I have mixed feelings about this book. I am surprised that it hasn't been turned into a movie because it is such a soap opera. If I could give it 2 1/2 stars I probably would have done so.

Dr. Olivia Simon is treating a gunshot victim who cannot be saved by anyone. The woman who dies is Annie O'Neill, a free spirit who is loved by an entire town. Annie can do no wrong as far as anyone is concerned.

However, no one knows but elderly, former lighthouse keeper, Mary Poor, what betrayals Annie has wro
Sharon A.
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-fiction
Chamberlain has an amazing gift in her ability to script believable characters, all whom have flaws, all of whom are sympathetic. This is the story of a love triangle (actually, more of a rectangle). Olivia is married to Paul, who still carries a torch for Annie, who is married to Alec. Annie dies and Paul leaves Olivia, who then begins a friendship with Alec.

Still keeping up? It's somewhat convoluted, but Chamberlain manages to keep it all in check, and honestly I wasn't sure what was going to
Darby
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, drama-romance
This book was a very easy read. I really enjoyed the story and how it unfolded. I thought the characters were developed well. And the story had a really good pace. It was a page turn as I wanted to know more about the characters and the story that was unfolding. It is the first book of 3 books. I have the next two ready to read. I am sure I will enjoy them just as much as the first book and am sure I will enjoy other books by this author.
Kirstie
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club

This is obviously one of her earlier books. It's good but not as good as her more recent books. This is part of a trilogy and ive read the last one first! May have to revisit it now I know Lacey and Annie's pasts

This is based on the lies that everyone tells. They all live happily ever after but who ends up with who???? Annie certainly cast her spell on all the men around her but with devastating consequences
Heather Fineisen
Overall, a good read. The flashbacks were sometimes awkward but the storyline delivered and the characters were developed enough that I cared about what happened to them. I have heard good things about Chamerlain and since this is an early effort, I will definitely read more, even in this series. Solid.
Sue
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a tangled web the author weaves in this novel, excellent. I now can't wait to read 'Kiss River'which seems to follow on in the same area.
Michele Rodriguez
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review for this book may seem like a contradiction. On one hand, it took me a while to get immersed into the storyline and to feel attached to the characters, but when I did, I was fully in! With that said, I wound up completely unable to stomach Paul and couldn't stand to hear anything else about "Saint Ann." However, I'm sure that was done intentionally by Chamberlain.

But how can so many lies be told without no one knowing ? Not one person in the community? I do know that sometimes when we
Dead 1 8 Dec 16, 2015 08:20PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Sep 12, 2015 02:03PM
Sisterhood of the...: September 2014: Keeper of the Light by Diane Chamberlain 10 16 Sep 05, 2014 12:13PM

• Little Mercies
  • The Girl Who Ran Away (A McClintock-Carter Crime Thriller #4; The Girl Who Ran Trilogy #1)
  • The Unexpected Spy: From the CIA to the FBI, My Secret Life Taking Down Some of the World's Most Notorious Terrorists
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Ask Mariah
  • The Murderous Urges of Ordinary Women
  • Battle Lines (War Torn, #2)
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Last Breath
  • The Magical History of Mermaids
  • Cowboys Never Marry Their Best Friend: A Johnson Brothers Novel (Chestnut Ranch Cowboy Billionaire Romance Book 1)
  • Infidelity
  • Love at First Bark (Rescue Me, #4)
  • Stealing Christmas
  • A Killer's Confession: And a mother's fight to bring her daughter, Becky Godden-Edwards', murderer to trial
  • Facing the Music
  • How Forever Feels (Friends First, #4)
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and (London) Sunday Times best-selling author of 27 novels. The daughter of a school principal who supplied her with a new book almost daily, Diane quickly learned the emotional power of story. Although she wrote many small “books” as a child, she didn’t seriously turn to writing fiction until her early thirties when she was waiting for a delayed ...more

Kiss River (3 books)
  • Kiss River (Kiss River #2)
  • Her Mother's Shadow (Kiss River #3)