Start by marking “The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)

The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  55,542 Ratings  ·  5,247 Reviews
Part two of the literary sci-fi thriller follows a boy and a girl who are caught in a warring town where thoughts can be heard - and secrets are never safe. Reaching the end of their flight in THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, Todd and Viola did not find healing and hope in Haven. They found instead their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss, waiting to welcome them to New Prentisstow ...more
Published October 18th 2010 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published May 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ask and the Answer, please sign up.

GrabAHotChoc I understand your concern in terms of the pace, but i truly do feel that if you plough on the pace becomes quicker and faster and in a way this book…moreI understand your concern in terms of the pace, but i truly do feel that if you plough on the pace becomes quicker and faster and in a way this book is extremely moving. You may not see it now, but reading on through the other books, the characters progress and grow and the voice of both Todd and Viola shine through. Hope this helped.
If you have any more questions, visit my blog: http://chatiamirah.wix.com/grabahotchoc (less)

karen
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
okay, so i loved the knife of never letting go but this one was somehow even better.

oh, jeez, i am afraid i am just going to write a gushing fangirl review here. does anyone mind?

i will try to avoid saying anything too specific, because this book is such a gem, i want everyone to sort of discover its folds and depths for themselves.

because there is a great deal of depth up in here.

the action of this book takes place after a colossal thing happens which separates viola and todd. and this book is
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
This was an alright sequel, I didn't love the plot but the ending has left me very curious to see how the trilogy ends! I hope there is lots more action and intensity in the final installment :)
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

What would you choose if you had the faith of someone you love in your hands?

Would you betray your beliefs?

I must confess that the only honest answer I can give you is...

Of course I'd be so proud if I was able to say that I'd do the right thing whatever it takes, and I want to think I'd do it. Really. Of course there are situations where what to do is obvious because one of the possibilities is utterly bad. But sometimes - sometimes there's no such thing as a right choice.

The Ask and the Answ
Emily May
This stunning sequel to The Knife Of Never Letting Go manages to measure up to its predecessor in a way I never thought possible. After reading the first book, I felt sure that Ness would be incapable of delivering something equally brilliant. But he did.
This is an even more important book than part one, though admittedly not quite as fast-paced. It deals with very grown up issues like feminism, terrorism, war and genocide; another reason why I have to reiterate my point that this trilogy should
Amanda
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, blog
**Some spoilers for those who have not read the first book**

I just wrote an exhausting review of this novel, but Goodreads screwed me and lost the entire thing. Pissed does not even begin to cover what I feel right now. All of that brilliance, now lost to the cyberspace void forever.

I didn't so much read the first book in this series, The Knife of Never Letting Go, as inhaled it. Original and disturbing, Ness is not afraid to take some risks as he tells the story of Todd Hewitt, a boy about to
Helen 2.0
Objectively, this whole series so far has been fabulously written. Really, really skilled author.
Objectively, the book deserves five stars.

But... I'm only human, and subjectively I wanted to rip this book apart and then burn the shreds because it both makes me furious and scares me to death. Chaos Walking is the kind of story where every character is evil and corrupted in their own way and you're at a loss for someone to like/support. To make things worse, the main characters are children thrust
Clau R.
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 4.5 stars. Not perfect 5 stars because the first part was a little slow and boring for me, but THEN the final chapters were so awesome and full of twists and turns and UGHHH Patrick Ness just loves to kill the characters I like!

Anyway, this book was so much better than the first one! I think that's because we get to know (not really, though) mayor Prentiss. He's one of the best villains EVER.

Also, I ship Todd and Viola so much.
Izzy
“So who are you then, Todd Hewitt? What makes you so special?”
Where to start, where to start? In that first chapter, I was just so proud of you Todd. I feel like we’ve come a long way and it just never stops for you does it?

But seriously, where to start? I thought the last book was good. This one is better. Like, sell your aunt and your soul to the devil kind of good. It's just so full of stuff.

First off, despite my many attempts, I could never guess what would happen. When I gave up trying and
Tatiana
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya, tres-annoying
I won't lie, I am really disappointed in and exhausted by this novel. "The Ask and the Answer" is very little like the first book in the trilogy "The Knife of Never Letting Go."

If the first one is a fast-paced chase kind of story, which keeps you hooked by gradual revelation of the New World's mysteries of Noise, Haven, Viola's origin, etc., this book is basically an account of a civil war between Mayor Prentiss's army and the resistance called here the Answer. The book raises various issues of
Heather
Dec 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Ugh, I just can't do it. This book is contrived and ridiculous. The characters of Todd and Viola have reached a level of stupidity that I didn’t think was possible. I was put off by the first chapter, but continued to read for another 50 pages before I finally chucked it. Enough is enough. I had already ignored my instincts by picking this book up in the first place. Having read and been let down by book one, I was hoping that Ness would redeem himself. But alas, no such luck. Not only has Ness ...more
What did you think about Viola and 1017 narrating? 21 83 Sep 10, 2017 09:35PM
1017's Gender 66 554 Jul 23, 2017 02:15AM
YA Apocalyptic an...: October 2016 BOTM: The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) 2 17 Oct 03, 2016 04:06AM
I am the circle and the circle is me 10 249 Sep 20, 2016 11:48AM
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Maggot Moon
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • The Marbury Lens (The Marbury Lens, #1)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • The Severed Tower (Conquered Earth, #2)
  • Plague (Gone, #4)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
“It's not that you should never love something so much that it can control you.
It's that you need to love something that much so you can never be controlled.
It's not a weakness.
It's your best strength.”
1225 likes
“In this world of numbness and information overload, the ability to feel, my boy, is a rare gift indeed.” 445 likes