Start by marking “Hart's Hope” as Want to Read:
Hart's Hope

Hart's Hope

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  3,474 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
A dark and powerful fantasy from the bestselling author of Ender's Shadow.

Enter the city of Hart's Hope, ruled by gods both powerful and indifferent, riddled with sorcery and revenge. The city was captured by a rebellious lord, Palicrovol, who overthrew the cruel king, Nasilee, hated by his people.

Palicrovol, too, was cruel, as befitted a king. He took the true mantle of k
Published August 2nd 2003 by Orb Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Hart's Hope, please sign up.

James Yu The story doesn't have an obvious plot in the modern sense of following or one or several characters from point to point (at least in the beginning).…moreThe story doesn't have an obvious plot in the modern sense of following or one or several characters from point to point (at least in the beginning). It's styled like many historical epics, which are composed of a number of mini-tales explaining how one thing or another came about in history (How the King met his queen, how the Tyrant's daughter became evil, How the Prince discovered his magical power). Old epics don't have the same smooth transitions like modern stories do, and Card is really trying to copy that style of writing here.

I would say that the main theme is how doing what's right/just can often be in conflict with doing what is expedient/helpful. The main conflict is set off by Palicrovol's half measure of taking compassion on Asineth and keeping her alive after disgracing her publicly. All his miseries stem from that half-hearted decision to not choose one way or another. In contrast, Orem is a legitimately good and just person, but his decisions, while good for the realm, ultimately lead to his own personal misery.

You can also see it as a deconstruction of the "evil queen" trope, as we see all the horrible steps that lead Asineth to become the cold tyrant she is. (less)

Stephen
6.0 stars. One of my All time favorite novels. I am a big Orson Scott Card fan and this is my favorite book of his (Speaker for the Dead is second and Ender's Game is third). This is an emotionally devastating novel that will leave you thinking about it long after the book is done. Card himself calls this his best writing ever and I completely agree. It is a very "dark" fantasy so don't go into this looking for a "feel good" book. That said, this is an amazing piece of writing that I think gets ...more
Luthien
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book defies description. It must be one of the most underrated books in its genre, because it is so great I can't understand why it's not more well-known. As may be apparent from my book list, I'm a big fan of fantasy, but I'm also extremely picky and can't abide the Xena Warrior Princess nonsense that is so abundant on fantasy shelves. Orson Scott Card is just shy of Tolkien greatness. I love that this book doesn't hold your hand. You have to immerse yourself in the language and live with ...more
Xabi1990
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Grandes misterios del mundo :

¿Cómo se construyeron la pirámides?
¿Existió la Atlántida?
¿Por qué van las mujeres al baño de 2 en 2 (o más)?

…y el más duro … ¿POR QUÉ COÑ0 LE DI A ESTE LIBRO UN 10/10 CUANDO LE LEÍ ALLÁ POR EL 98?

Inexplicable.

En su día yo era un fan acérrimo de Card y varios de sus libros o sagas me encantaron. Es un gran constructor de personajes y, basado en el carisma de los mismos y en lo que empatizamos con ellos, construye historias que tienen fuerza e interés. Esto cuando no l
Elly
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Normally, I'm a big fan of Orson Scott Card. I find him an intelligent, imaginative writer and excellent at creating real, multi-faceted characters. I also love his common themes of family, parenting, and religion. And while Hart's Hope contains all of these, it is so crude, vulgar, and downright foul in so many places that I can't imagine who would actually like reading this book. It was obviously written by a young Card--not only is it not as well constructed as his later novels, it simply ree ...more
Greg
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
"if only we could stand outside our lives and look at what we do, we might repair so many injuiries before they're done."

When I was younger I considered this my favorite single OSC book (yes, even above Ender's Game). It's been many years since I've re-read it, and it wasn't quite able to hold on to that top position (yes, back to Ender's Game).

I described the book to someone else on goodreads as:

his most dark and yet most beautiful book.

I think that description still stands. It's certainly dar
Miriam
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: pedophiles
Shelves: fantasy, tenebris
If this book hadn't been so short I don't think I could have finished it, there were so many revolting scenes of cruelty, child molestation and perversion.
Ryan
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Orson Scott Card (OSC) needs little introduction for anyone that has ever read a menagerie of Sci-Fi. OSC is responsible for the "Enders Game" series which has won him both the Nebula and Hugo award and thus making him the only author to consecutively win both awards. Although I have never read the "Enders Game" series, I am familiar with it's celebrity and have a general idea of what it is about. He also is a life long Mormon, who has advocated loudly in favor of the church. It just so happens ...more
Sep 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Total crap and needlessly gory and violent. But if you like rape and baby-eating, then this is the book for you.
Heather
Jan 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
My least favorite of his books. It is his first stab at fantasy, and feels like it. The violence feels gratuitous. I had a hard time liking the characters.
Richard Kelly
Warning!!!! This book is dark! Ridiculously dark! It contains abuse, humiliation, degradation, torture, imprisonment, possession, rape, incest, and much more. But to emphasize my point, these things are not the reason it is so dark. It is the way these subjects are broached, described, and carried out that makes it so disturbing.

If the purpose of a novel is to allow the reader to experience things in life without having to have lived it, maybe Hart’s Hope is a magnificent piece. But, if the purp
Jenny Clark
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a little strange for Orson Scott Card, but interesting all the same. Some parts were a little hard to read in all honosty. There did not need to be that much detail about bodily function and child bride. It is set in a different world and the past, however, so I can overlook it to an extent.
That ending though.... What a way to leave it open.
Jeff
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good Card classic. Intricate, well thought out plot with strong well developed characters. A little graphic for my tastes...but hey.
Mike Copeland
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very intense, and it is a little bit of a tragedy. No one is completely good or completely bad, but there are clear lines of good/evil dilineation. The religious/cultural inter-play is facinating. The women have their own religion, and the men debate between two others, but often actually follow both. The whole story is wrapped up in lineage, in fertiltiy, in growth and power. Thus there is alot of sexual inuendo and actual action, but it is not superfluous. It plays into the relifious and essen ...more
Dan
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People with strong stomachs . . .
When the author signed my copy, he wrote "For Dan: a tale of sweetness and light".

He didn't mean it.

This is possibly the darkest, bloodiest, most unrelentingly depressing fantasy I've ever read, and I love it. I've read it six times. This probably says something not very flattering about me, but there you are. It also is beautifully written, thoroughly realized, and haunting. I can't recommend it highly enough, provided you've got a taste for the disturbing.

Which I apparently do.
Tra-Kay
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
What's all this fuss about "darkness"? Pay no mind, fantasy fans; there's nothing here worse than what you'll find in Goodkind or GRRM. There is, however, delicate prose that seems to hold great meaning. Reading the book almost feels like unrolling a tapestry (though that tapestry may hold centuries of torture, all bodily fluids, and immeasurable hate). Beauty and ugliness in all their forms are equally as common in Hart's Hope, strengthening the impact of each. Characters' motivations are explo ...more
Suz
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
I feel very mixed about this book.

I liked some of the magic and a lot of the religious aspects of the book (the religions/worship that were present in the book, not that the book is preachy), but overall, a lot of the book felt a little over the top.

This is a very early foray for Card into fantasy, and it does feel like it. He has definitely refined his fantasy writing since this time. It's not a total waste, but I feel like a lot of potential was lost.
Greg
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book. I tried to like it, but couldn't. Getting to know the characters was difficult, and then names started to change. I couldn't align with any of the characters. It was like a story of dark vs dark, evil vs evil. Nobody to cheer for. It was too erotic for my taste as well. Just not a good read in my opinion.
Christine
Orson Scott Card has written some of my favorite books of all time, so I am so grateful that I did not pick up this book before I had read most of his others. I even considered reading the whole thing, just because I like this author so much, but after the rape of the 12-year-old girl I just couldn't take anymore and decided it would be best to abandon this one.
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's been a long while since I've been fully swept up in a solid high fantasy. It's also been a while since I've read anything that can do horrifying and beautiful at the same time. I've missed the old style fantasy voice.
Moonburst
Sep 02, 2007 rated it liked it
This book is very good. It is however, written rather oddly; more like a compilations of smaller stories than one whole story. It works well though and makes for an interesting read. Warning: the book is rather violent/dark in some parts; it also contains (not too in depth depiction of) rape.
Greg Paulson
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Read it in the mid/early 2000s. Don't remember much except that I liked it, and that it was set in a the old pagan times.
Plch
Nov 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ok, I admit I didn't finish it... I really couldn't, I saw no reason why (although I did read the end), probably the violence was in fact the more 'realistic' side of it but it was too much for me.
Gina
May 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, 2012
Ugh. No. Just no.
Gerardo B.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una jodida obra de arte, de inicio a fin.
Henry Murphy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I have only read Ender's Game besides this, and EG was not as impressive as everyone thinks it is. This novel, however, was in some ways incredible. It has amazing mythological detail - the diversity of cultural and religious differences. The theological aspects of the story, combining magic and religion, are brilliantly conceived. The language is gratuitously literary, overwritten, which I happen to enjoy; it can make reading the book a little taxing. And the plot is confusing, characters can b ...more
Donna
Card is a skilled writer, and his stories are usually wonderfully quirky. This one was just quirky. Didn't enjoy the vivid grotesqueness.
Marvi
Better than Ender's Game but not by much. It's a decent fantasy story but contains some unneeded elements or laborious parts. Longer than it needed to be.
Talie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This fantasy book covers some rough concepts of mercy, vengeance, bondage of gods; two sisters and a stag all saved by a sink - the ending is left in a bit of a cliffhanger if I recall accurately.
David
Dec 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ugh, it was appalling, no stars really at all as a rating.

Got through to first appalling scene and unable to read any further.

No, no and no!
Jake Hahn
Nov 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
absolutely terrible
  • The Search of Mavin Manyshaped (The Chronicles of Mavin Manyshaped, #3)
  • Born to Exile
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Stone and Anvil (Star Trek: New Frontier, #14)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • Lord Demon
  • Lavondyss (Mythago Wood, #2)
  • Robota
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Fortress of Eagles (Fortress, #2)
  • It Happened One Christmas (Hamilton Sisters, #3)
  • Gossamer Axe
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Bug Park
  • Household Gods
  • The Billion Dollar Boy
  • Great Work of Time
  • The Chess Garden
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

“Home is anywhere that you know all your friends and all your enemies.” 173 likes
“Asking a man if he could be trusted was like asking an unwed girl if she was a virgin. The question mattered, but the asking of it was gross insult.” 15 likes