Start by marking “Pleasure (New Series #37)” as Want to Read:
Pleasure (New Series #37)

Pleasure (New Series #37)

Poetry. LGBT Studies. Like Tennyson's In Memoriam, Teare's book sees within a personal loss evidence of an epochal shift at work, a shift at once historical, political, and cosmological. Asserting the lover's body as a lost Eden, revisiting again and again the narrative of "the fall"--its iconic imagery as well as Gnostic reinterpretations--the book also records the eventu ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Ahsahta Press

To ask other readers questions about Pleasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pleasure

Gillik
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful elegy of loss and how it defines or creates the world. I’m not a poet and don’t know how to review poetry per se, but I know lines like “in the deep meanwhile / of your life, what was wordless, what passed as fact:” and “no grimace without God in it” and “August : awful / powdery texture drought lends everything. / Heat’s immense lens : to suffer summer / like that. To pretend to find it meaningful.” ... I know those are some brutal and beautiful lines.

If I didn’t, or you don’t, get
L.J.
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Pleasure, by Brian Teare
(69 pps/Ahsahta Press, 2010)
ISBN: 9781934103166

In Pleasure, poet Brian Teare repossesses one of our oldest stories of identity: the fall from innocence. Pleasure contains an intertwined narrative: in one, a man recounts the experience of watching his loved one sicken and die at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. He is blindsided, as stigma and fear replace what he comes to recognize as a former state of grace.

In this fall, he comes to understand that Eden is the idea of
Colin
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pleasure is a fantastic book of poetry. By leveraging formal experimentation, biblical allegory, and personal loss, Brian Teare created an immense, organic palace through which to wander. I've read Pleasure roughly four times, and continue to learn more from and about these poems and the way they work.
Chris Schaeffer
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read in the back garden after coming home from the thrift-store with ok Terry Eagleton ideology anthology and old-ish 'Dykes to Watch Out For' book. Wondered about the supposed Robin Blaser genealogy although at that point I hadn't read much Blaser at all. Come to think of it, not sure how Blaser even came up.
Sandra
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What this book does so profoundly is bring us to consider how the loss of Eden is a loss of pleasure; how our personal loss of the loved one becomes the original loss; how grief becomes contained in lyric, in a garden, in a structure where we would hold some bloom or its relic, yet grief remains “ the white voice trolling its borders…”
Dustin Kurtz
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unduly moving. The new baroque. Also, bookstore.
secondwomn
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry
wear your philosophy hat and don't forget your sound boots.
Mike
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wrote a review of this book for TriQuarterly. Here's the link: http://www.triquarterly.org/reviews/p...
Kathleen
Gnomon
Nov 24, 2014
Michelle Hoogterp
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fabulous depth to these poems. Beautiful and unique, made me think!
Karissa Morton
Dec 03, 2013
Joshua
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A former National Endowment for the Arts fellow, Brian Teare is the recipient of poetry fellowships from the MacDowell Colony, the American Antiquarian Society, the Fund for Poetry, and the Headlands Center for the Arts. He is the author of The Room Where I Was Born, Sight Map, the Lambda-award winning Pleasure, and Companion Grasses, a finalist for the Kingsley Tufts Award. His fifth book, The Em ...more