Start by marking “Soccer in Sun and Shadow” as Want to Read:
Soccer in Sun and Shadow

Soccer in Sun and Shadow

Discussing everything from the leveling of the Twin Towers to the death of the sole survivor of that extraordinary match between British and German soldiers in 1915, one of South America’s greatest commentators issues forth on robotic soccer in Japan, the mass-production of the game as a sign of the decline of civilization, the amazing success of Senegal and Turkey, and ho ...more
Published April 17th 2003 by Verso (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Soccer in Sun and Shadow, please sign up.
Sevak Ghazaryan I would say from 18+

I would say from 18+

Not because a young person couldn't read it, but an older person would identify more with it as there are a lot of stories about the origins of soccer and how South America is the home of soccer and how it can shape a person's life.(less)

Start your review of Soccer in Sun and Shadow
Abhinav
"Some people think that football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

Bill Shankly, the legendary Liverpool manager & an immortal figure in footballing history, was not much off the mark with this famous quote of his. And Eduardo Galeano's book seems to reverberate that sentiment, though in much spectacular detail.

"Soccer in Sun and Shadow" is easily the most beautiful book written on the Beautiful Game in every respect. Beauty lies in simplicity & the j
Betsy
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a relative newcomer to soccer, I found this book to be an interesting look at The Beautiful Game. With an emphasis on soccer in the Americas, it is a lament for the play and the heroes of the past. I recognized few of the names the author mentioned, but I understood what he was talking about. Like all sports today, it is big business. Has it lost its soul? Perhaps. I still enjoy watching, even if it is on television. I am sure Galeano knows of what he speaks about the finances and corruption. ...more
Talal Ahmed
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great-=
Amani Hafs
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
قبل ما نبدأ
How can I explain what is to be a madridista
How can I explain pain...If you don't know what is like to lose in round for six years in row!
How can I explain pleasure...if you have never won a classico!
How can I explain impotence...if you have never been denied a victory by the post!
How can I explain pride...if you don't know what lifting 9 European cups feels like!
How can I explain rage...if you have never lost the ball that deiced the game!
How can I explain unity...if you have never
Ian
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With the World Cup about to start, I thought now would be a good time to read the late Eduardo Galeano’s personal history of world football. Unfortunately, whilst I enjoyed the early stages of this book, I felt it deteriorated as it went on.

This definitely isn’t for anyone looking for a factual history of the game (I wasn’t). It’s an idiosyncratic story told through a series of vignettes that the author wanted to highlight, and most of them relate to his own country of Uruguay. The reference to
Sotiris Karaiskos
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For this book I had heard many good words and I knew it was considered one of the best books on football. It was not a few times, indeed, that I read excerpts from this book in sports articles. For this, as a football fan, I felt compelled to read it.

It is, in the end, an excellent book, full of beautiful football moments, narrated by the writer with nostalgia and romantic mood. At the same time, however, it is trying to defend the sport against those who reject it as something harmful, as a too
jeremy
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translation
galeano consistently composes some of the world's most elegant and engaging prose. whether writing about national histories, military juntas, the intrusiveness of advertising, the poetry of lovemaking, or, as in this case, the world's most popular sport, he invariably weaves grace and reverence into his recollections. eduardo galeano, uruguay's greatest writer, remains a singularity amongst his international contemporaries.

though he admits to a lifelong adoration for the pastime, being "a begg
Oscar
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this throughout this year's World Cup to give me more insight into global fútbol. Galeano's book delivered that and much more by speaking directly to how commercialization, racial prejudice and border politics have impacted soccer and its fans.

Rather than falling into the pit of self-destructive despair, Galeano balances the line between historical retelling and personal storytelling to extend the readers imagination to beyond the page, and imagine a world where a simple child
Jan
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this book at the opening paragraph. I fell in love so hard with this book that a naughty part of me considered stealing it from the library. Note: I returned the book to the library, on time even. :)

I could see, if one has absolutely no interest in soccer, how a person could not be in love with this book. But I am a huge soccer fan, so not only does this book hold general interest for me, but it is also written beautifully. Galeano's masterpiece is a brief history of soccer f
Bob
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a joy to read. Galeano collected close to a 100 short essays about football. And they are beautiful to read and I can only imagine that they are more beautiful in the original Spanish. (I wished the translator had called the sport 'football' instead of 'soccer' but I suppose they were marketing it for the American audience.)

Galeano loves football. And he also hated the men who ran it. And not just recently, but from a very long time ago. Intellectuals in South America usually weren
Michael Greening
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Football as poetry...
Liz Mayhew
A love letter to football - Galeano writes pure poetry.

Well-informed sources in Miami were announcing the imminent fall of Fidel Castro, it was only a matter of hours.
MacK
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty pages in, I muttered a long, slow, "sshhhhhhiiiiiiiit".

I couldn't help it. It just slipped out. And my wife, reading her own book in the other room, turned quickly to ask what was wrong. I tried to explain that nothing was wrong, that everything was right. But in the moment I couldn't say it, couldn't explain it, couldn't find the words. All I could do was stammer, grab a pencil and hold it close as I drank deep from every page. For the first time since I got my last degree I marked up t
Robert
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’d been holding off on reading this book until the convergence of the World Cup and my summer vacation. Last week was that special week. Galeano’s brilliant prose conveys the beauty, and occasional ugliness, of the world’s most popular sport. The short segments make it easy to read a bit at a time, but I couldn’t put it down. Although he writes about players and teams from around the world, as an Uruguayan, his stories unsurprisingly focus mostly on South American teams.

The chronological develo
N-rose
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Galeano manages to weave the dirty history of South American dictatorships (propped up by the US) and fascism into a flowing collection of short tales based around World Cups and other important games in soccer's history. It's fantastic, a look at the growth of soccer and how soccer pride and success intersects with the history of South America through a Uruguayan soccer fan's eyes - if you want it to be.

If you want the book to be striking prose (or nicely-translated prose?) about the Beautiful
Umang Jethva
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eduardo Galeano must have been an excellent commentator and not just a fan, but an admirer of football ( i just can't bear to call it soccer). His genuine love for the game reflects so well in this book. He chronicles everything there is to know about football since the first World Cup in this book. He makes the reader revisit every important incident that took place in football. And he chips in relevant pieces of information about that particular era as well along the way. Reading this book is ...more
Anastasia
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
After reading Galeano's trilogy Memory of Fire, I was curious to find out how he wrote about some other topic. Soccer in Sun and Shadow has very funny and entertaining stories about football. I've never been a fan of football, yet I liked this book and learned more about history, different countries, different players.
Mohammed Rasheen
this is a book in name of Football - for the love of football,
Eduardo Galeano narrates this as a super-awesome grandfather,who tell about the glory days of football to his grandchild.
this book is a great mix of humour,tragedy,other various kinds of emotions and way too many inspirational moments. Perfect book as a tribute to the greatest game on the planet.
Oliver Bateman
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An impressionistic, impassioned history of the sport written through a series of poignant vignettes, and a bold way forward for cultural studies scholars obsessed with footnotes and the illusion of scholarly distance.
Bryan Williams
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this novel was a great way to get in the mood for the World Cup!
I immensely enjoyed the anecdotes describing the good and bad things that are part and parcel of the beautiful game in the author’s native country Uruguay, South America and callbacks to huge events that occurred at previous World Cups.
Having to read the word “soccer” so many times was off putting for me though!
Harry Rutherford
Soccer in Sun and Shadow is a string of hundreds of little vignettes, pen portraits, anecdotes, and mini-essays, each with it’s own heading, sometimes two or three pages long but often just a couple of paragraphs. Some are about broader subjects, like crowd violence or tactics or the commercialisation of the game; others about a particular player or game or even a single memorable goal. They’re arranged in chronological order, so they form a sort of idiosyncratic history of the game according to ...more
Cait
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who love soccer, people who love poetry, people who love neither poetry nor soccer
This book reminded me of hanging out at the corner store, watching old men play dominios and talk about soccer. (This image represents a solid third of my childhood.) Grouchy old men, and their step-by-step reconstruction of soccer goals that happened in countries they would never visit, by players they had never seen.

That is almost exactly what this book is- a history of the beautiful game from its first stumbling steps to the greatest goals of every world cup since 1921. There are quick aside
MH
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
A collection of short remembrances of soccer players, tournaments, and goals, written in an overwrought impressionistic style (for Gerd Muller, for example, he writes "the net was the bridal veil of an irresistible girl. In front of the open goal he licked his chops. And in one fell swoop he stood naked, then bit" (144)). Whether his style is insufferable or delightful, at the end of the day Galeano is the tiresome sports fan in the grips of the tyranny of nostalgia who believes the game peaked ...more
Jason Burke Murphy
These short essays feature some of the best efforts to describe what it is about the game and the spectacle of soccer that makes it so compelling.

I am reminded of the better dance reviews I have read. Though most of those do not go into what is represented by a club or national team. Soccer matches have provoked discussions of identity, class, race, and nationality for a hundred years.

One would also gain insight here into the mindset of Uruguay and the rest of Latin America.

Galeano's melancho
Kaustav Ganguly
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
While it starts out brilliantly and promisingly, the template turns too predictable. The narrative is far too focussed on small events. There are very little stories from the great tournaments that make reading about them in this format attractive. It just seems to flit by. While the prose is the best football writing has seen, the reader is continuously being coerced to read it with the theme of sun and shadow. Besides the dearth of focus on football apart from the World Cups, the positive bias ...more
Corey Nelson
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Soccer was a big part of my adult life. No, I was not a player, but I was an facilitator for others to play as well as referee the game for youth and adults. This book is a love story of the game. Much like the book portrays the poetry in motion that is football to the world, the writing is poetic in its descriptions of key plays and players that the author highlights. There is an early chapter of the man in black that is a description of a shadow in the middle of the action. Yes, the author is ...more
Eric
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Galeano is brillaint. In this book he takes the beautifully poetic style he has and applys it to another of his psaaions, futball. YES! Nothing like a South American Academic Lefty whos still has his head on straight enough to realize his love of footy.

This is one of those wonderful books that I thik appeal to non-football fans. For one thing, Galeano writes SO BEAUTIFULLY that I have to put the book down and rest after certain passages. In addition, the discussion of social and political assoc
Annette
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Galeano is a poet from Uraguay. He's one of my favorite authors, and I love his approach to writing about historical events. With this book, he turns his analytic eye and rich imagery to one of his great loves, soccer.
Even if you aren't a soccer fan, this book will draw you in and leave you appreciating the magic and beauty of the sport and the cruelty and mystery of the politics that surround it. It's a little gem.
Ian Cameron
Dannykenyon
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: golden-shelf
Galeano perfectly captures the joy, sadness and euphoria that football brings to the ‘pagan masses’. Anyone who tells you it’s just a game, simply point them to this wonderful bit of prose.

In between the multitude of references to the Latin American, Italian, and German greats of the game, I found myself waiting almost anxiously for mention of the English - for acknowledgment that, for a brief time, we have also been the best of the best!
soccer predictions 1 1 Aug 31, 2018 02:23AM
Dream League Soccer For Android 1 1 Mar 20, 2018 07:06AM
Spain soccer tours barcelona 1 2 Feb 02, 2018 01:23AM
Prediksi Bola Westbrom vs Chelsea 18 November 2017 1 1 Nov 16, 2017 01:52PM

• Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life
  • The Miracle of Castel di Sangro: A Tale of Passion and Folly in the Heart of Italy
  • The Ball is Round: A Global History of Soccer
  • Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Football
  • Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics
  • How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
  • Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World's Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power
  • Soccernomics
  • Behind the Curtain
  • Dios es redondo
  • Ajax, the Dutch, the War: Football in Europe During the Second World War
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • The Damned Utd
  • Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning: The Biography
  • A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke
  • Fever Pitch
  • Fear and Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona, Real Madrid, and the World's Greatest Sports Rivalry
  • Calcio: A History of Italian Football
Eduardo Galeano was a Uruguayan journalist, writer and novelist. His best known works are Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire Trilogy, 1986) and Las venas abiertas de América Latina (Open Veins of Latin America, 1971) which have been translated into twenty languages and transcend orthodox genres: combining fiction, journalism, political analysis, and history.

The author himself has proclaimed his ob

News & Interviews

“The Stadium

Have you ever entered an empty stadium? Try it. Stand in the middle of the field and listen. There is nothing less empty than an empty stadium. There is nothing less mute than stands bereft of spectators.

At Wembley, shouts from the 1966 World Cup, which England won, still resound, and if you listen very closely you can hear groans from 1953 when England fell to the Hungarians. Montevideo’s Centenario Stadium sighs with nostalgia for the glory days of Uruguayan soccer. Maracanã is still crying over Brazil’s 1950 World Cup defeat. At Bombonera in Buenos Aires, drums boom from half a century ago. From the depths of Azteca Stadium, you can hear the ceremonial chants of the ancient Mexican ball game. The concrete terraces of Camp Nou in Barcelona speak Catalan, and the stands of San Mamés in Bilbao talk in Basque. In Milan, the ghosts of Giuseppe Meazza scores goals that shake the stadium bearing his name. The final match of the 1974 World Cup, won by Germany, is played day after day and night after night at Munich’s Olympic Stadium. King Fahd Stadium in Saudi Arabia has marble and gold boxes and carpeted stands, but it has no memory or much of anything to say.”
15 likes
“Han pasado los años, y a la larga he terminado por asumir mi identidad: yo no soy más que un mendigo de buen fútbol. Voy por el mundo sombrero en mano, y en los estadios suplico: una linda jugadita, por amor de Dios. Y cuando el buen fútbol ocurre, agradezco el milagro sin que me importe un rábano cuál es el club o el país que me lo ofrece.” 14 likes