Start by marking “What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption” as Want to Read:
What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption

What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption

“Amidst a thousand tirades against the excesses and waste of consumer society, What’s Mine Is Yours offers us something genuinely new and invigorating: a way out.” —Steven Johnson, author of The Invention of Air and The Ghost Map

A groundbreaking and original book, What’s Mine is Yours articulates for the first time the roots of "collaborative consumption," Rachel Botsman a
Published September 14th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about What's Mine Is Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Mine Is Yours

Start your review of What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
Mario the lone bookwolf
As other examples like collaborative learning, cataloging, creative commons, sharing economy,... collaborative consumption leads the way to a fairer post-scarcity economy.

By enabling each human to become a sharer, host, producer, worker, gardener,... and, most importantly, connected with all kind of people who can do things one can´t do, the fruits of the labor don´t go to the ones who do nothing and just own, inherit or steal. As the taxi industry is confronted with Uber and hotels with Airbnb
Mark
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Nicely done. Botsman outlines the surge of businesses using sharing as a viable business model: Zipcar, Airbnb, Swaptree, Thredup, Toy Swap, etc., etc., etc. Being in the line of work that I'm in, sharing comes pretty easily to me but it's thrilling to see the library lending model being adopted in the for-profit arena.

If you want the 16 minute video version of the book, here is Rachel's TED presentation from last year: http://www.ted.com/talks/rachel_botsm...
Daisy Luo
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
3.5 stars. I applaud Botsman for her optimistic outlook on the rise of collaborative consumption. She is encouraging and positive in her belief that this phenomenon will bring about great socio-economic and environmental changes. However it is hard to gauge how much of this trend is "global" and not just significant within the US. Her examples of the surge in product service systems and sharing networks (zip car, airbnb, etc) are fun and relevant. But certain conclusions drawn in the book are ba ...more
Scott
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Botsman's book on the Rise of Collaborative Consumption is a brilliant read and will form the basis of how I progress my thinking on social capital, social enterprise and the future of consumption.

She makes the topic engaging and enjoyable through the usage of excellent examples but also a strong and compelling basis of discussion. The social and collaborative economy is a rapidly growing part of everything we experience as consumers but also leaders.

Rachel challenges the reader to move
Oana Ciurdarean
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book f..king changed my life! Seriously! Although there was nothing exactly new for me in it, seeing old things from new perspectives really made me think about my relationship with things.
Rachel
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sharing is to ownership what the iPod is to the eight track, what the solar panel is to the coal mine. Sharing is clean, crisp, urbane, postmodern; owning is dull, selfish, timid, backward."(p.xxi)

"If everyone on the planet lived like the average American child, we would need five planets to sustain them during their lifetime." (p.6)

"The economy needs things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced and discarded at an ever increasing rate." (p.6)

"We are now a society addicted to 'throwaway habit
Viraj Sawant
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of ideas and stories. Collaborative commons are changing the world. Companies based on the principles of sharing economy are competing with traditional businesses. Rachel has laid down a very lucid explanation of this ideological framework. And she has done this using innumerable stories of current day giants like ebay, craigslist, airbnb, etc. These stories make you engrossed in the book and not want to put it down once you begin.
It is an inspiring book to say the least. Whichev
Alicia Fox
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a bit outdated, with the optimism over Uber et al. that only 2010 could bring. The focus is on consumption: "Collaborative consumption meets all of the same consumer needs as the old model of mass consumption but helps address some of our most worrying economic and environmental issues." You're broke? No worries! The free market has a solution! Apps let you share lawnmowers!

The presence of two authors was obvious (one writer like the B-student English major who's pursuing dreams of bein
Shankar
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1) Are humans purely self-centered? Or is sharing and co-operating part of our nature?

2) How do you build trust between strangers?

3) How do you remove social stigma related to sharing and used goods? How do you make sharing cool and hip?

4) How the internet, while it is ushering us rapidly into modernity, is also enabling us to re-create the co-operative, neighborly villages of old where people had a strong sense of community.

5) How the rise of sharing is one of the strongest reasons for hope i
Tamara
Really, I just read the index, then looked up websites I was interested in. I should really do more bartering. It would save me a lot of money.

I love the idea of toy libraries and tool libraries as well. Oooh, and wouldn't a puzzle library be awesome? Hmmm....one of these days...

Some interesting online initiatives include:
Jack Oughton
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good overview on the origins, evolution and recent state of the 'sharing economy'
Jordan Brown
I came across this book while looking up must-reads on the shared economy. I've been inspired by companies like AirBnB, Turo and Rover and this book was advertised as the primer for collaborative consumption. Botsman articulates the shift in consumerism since the 2008 recession. We're transitioning from a hyper-individualistic and materialistic culture to more of a sharing community. The old days of face-to-face exchanges are making a comeback, but on a grander and more efficient scale thanks to ...more
Bilal
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about Collaborative Consumption, instigated by Web 2.0 technologies and people’s imaginations. It is structured as three sections: the historical context or background of how society has been operating over the past 50+ years, the period often identified with hyper-consumerism, the roots of that phenomenon over the previous century or so, and how people have lived historically before that. The second section examines the organizations and enterprises that are championing Collabora ...more
Yifei Men
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A cogent, well-argued piece on the rise of the sharing economy and rethinking the predominant model of consumption.

Botsman introduces some nice frameworks to think about the models and categories of the sharing economy (or "collaborative consumption"). Her messages on being environmentally responsible are well-taken, despite her acknowledgement that many "sharing economy" ventures hardly gave thought to being "green".

The importance of community and reputation in the interconnected world is an im
Sara
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tore through this book and have been considering all the ways I can change my spending and consumption from the start. It was very interesting and a little concerning to face the way consumption has changed, especially in America. Written in 2010, some information is a little outdated, but the theories remain true. Many of the companies mentioned no longer exist or are vastly different from their conception and others you would expect to read about did not exist yet or weren't large enough to ...more
Daniel Riveong
This book was released in 2010 and it shows its age. However, it's still a useful book to remind us of the promise, idealism, and still revolutionary nature of new types of businesses that focus on community and network (Etsy to Blablacar and CraigsList) over centralized control and 100% profit motive. I would read this in conjunction with Jaron Lanier's Who Owns the Future (2013) to get a balanced view.
Guillermo Trueba
A summary of the current efforts to curve the addictive consumption behavior our society has.
It talks about why is important we have less objects and revive the connection with our community in this age of ocean garbage patches and ever isolating technology.
Its a bit outdated on the companies tackling these issues but still manages to raise awareness on these problems.
Personally i found it motivating in my personal struggle against the excess of objects.
Kaleb
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. As an AirBNB host is was super interesting to read about collaborative consumption. I didn't like everything in the book though. The thought of a social bank account was a little terrifying especially after reading the Circle by David Eggers. Overall a good book that crossed a little bit of capitalism with a little bit of sustainability.
Conrad
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Botsman and Rogers put forward the idea of Collaborative Consumption in a heartfelt way, where the enthusiasm pops off the pages. The book has to be read in context, as it was written before the backlash againt companies like AirBnB and Uber. It shows the optimism and passion that still is at the core of the sharing economy.
Karol Ujueta Rojas
Interesting but at times repetitive. This is more for older millenials or older generations. It talks about how the internet has allow virtual communities to be created and thus business opportunities are born that are "controled and managed" by the users themselves through reputation systems.
Heidi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this immediately after reading "A little history of Economics" kind of by accident and it was such a great follow up!!
Learned so much and will be applying it to a new organization framework I'm writing.
Pablo Beitman
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, even though it was written long time ago and information is old regarding to today industries and companies. If Rachel or Roo are willing to update the info, this would be even more recommendable.
Nam Do
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be super interesting for those who have not been introduced to Botsman’s work already - I personally don’t like this book as much because the content is sparse and after a certain point it is not giving new information anymore
Yana Gudmundson
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environmental
Loved this book and historical approach to the modern consumerist culture, how that paradigm is shifting, and how we can change.
Jason
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not earth shattering. The authors go a bit outside of their lane when they start editorializing on macroeconomic theory and sociology.
Gina
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An overview of existing sharing communities
Adriana Inilloc
mainly common sense, not very insightful
CARLOS EDUARDO AGUILAR
Great book

A must read to keep yourself updated with the global trends about this new economy where the level field it is being rediscovered everyday.
Mark
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s Yours Is Mine is about new businesses built around the idea of sharing– things, space, time, work -- that are redefining consumers attitudes about owning things, bringing people out of their isolated lives, and also providing environmental benefits in the process. Younger people like me and my Goodreads friends can identify with the feeling that the authors describe about buying things these days: we want the music but don’t really need to own the physical CD. We want to be able to experi ...more
Kate
When I was only a few pages into this book, I was pretty sure it was going to be another example of Millenials patting themselves on the back for being so great at whatever they do. But it's not. Or maybe it is. Or maybe Millenials actually DO have a lot of things to pat themselves on the back for when it comes to using technology creatively to make the world a better place. I have never seen the rise of (mostly) Internet-fueled collaboration documented and analyzed as well as it is in this book ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
FULL Creative Lib...: What's Mine is Yours 1 3 Mar 05, 2014 01:07PM

• The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • This Will Change Everything: Ideas That Will Shape the Future
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • Nationalism
  • The Sharing Economy: The End of Employment and the Rise of Crowd-Based Capitalism
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • The Lost Art of Good Conversation: A Mindful Way to Connect with Others and Enrich Everyday Life
  • Public Parts: How Sharing in the Digital Age is Revolutionizing Life, Business, and Society
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Trailblazer: The Power of Business as the Greatest Platform for Change
  • How Successful People Grow: 15 Ways to Get Ahead in Life
  • All Marketers Are Liars: The Power of Telling Authentic Stories in a Low-Trust World
Rachel is the co-author of the upcoming book What’s Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption (Harper Business, October 2010). She consults, writes, and speaks on the power of collaboration and sharing through current and emerging technologies, and on how it will transform business, consumerism, and the way we live.

Rachel has lived and worked in the United Kingdom, United States, and A