Start by marking “La Chiamata dei Tre (La Torre Nera, #2)” as Want to Read:
La Chiamata dei Tre (La Torre Nera, #2)

La Chiamata dei Tre

(The Dark Tower #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  217,365 ratings  ·  7,826 reviews
"La chiamata dei tre" riprende la narrazione delle gesta di Roland, l'eroe solitario deciso a raggiungere la misteriosa Torre. Nel loro definitivo confronto-scontro l'uomo in nero aveva predetto la sorte a Roland con uno strano mazzo di tarocchi. Ora il pistolero si ritrova seduto su una spiaggia del Mare Occidentale, dopo un sonno che forse è durato anni. Sa che dovrà tro ...more
Published September 2003 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published May 1987)

To ask other readers questions about La Chiamata dei Tre, please sign up.
Daniel If you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe.…moreIf you pay some attention you'll notice that things such as time, space, direction, etc are inconsistent or just plain incorrect in Roland's universe. The world has "moved on" as they say.

"Sometimes, even the sun rises in the north and sets in the east."
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...

It could be an oversight, but most likely meant to raise that exact question: Are east and west swapped in Roland's universe, or is this simply a symptom of a world that has 'moved on'?(less)
Sheila Stone The release date for the film is 8/4/2017. Am I the only one who feels the roles should be reversed in the film. There are comments everywhere about R…moreThe release date for the film is 8/4/2017. Am I the only one who feels the roles should be reversed in the film. There are comments everywhere about Roland's BLUE eyes. In The Drawing of the Three, Detta goes ape shit at Roland because he is white. I think Idris should be the man in black and Mathew should be Roland. IMHO(less)

·  217,365 ratings  ·  7,826 reviews

Start your review of La Chiamata dei Tre (La Torre Nera, #2)
Jayson
(B-) 71% | Satisfactory
Notes: It plays tunes of discomfort by pulses and shrieks, sagging for lengths in its middle but picking up pace near the end.
Luca Ambrosino
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (The Drawing of the Three) / Italiano

The story resumes exactly where it ended up with The Gunslinger: on a beach. Roland wakes up after a sleep that maybe lasted years, with the only aim of recruiting the Three, without whom the journey to the Dark Tower cannot continue...

I was right to say in my review to the first chapter of the "Dark Tower" that there would be a turning point in subsequent volumes, and that "The Gunslinger" represented a sort of introduction in which nothing was clear

Mario the lone bookwolf
Characterizationality at it´s best prepares the stage for entering the masters´ universe.

It has more of stories surrounding the 2 main protagonists, whose paths continually come closer, than a plot driven horror novel, but how we get to meet them shows Kings´ ingenuity. Years have passed since I´ve read it and I can still vividly remember them, feel and fear with them.

Mental illness is both a difficult to describe and to deal with topic and King uses the full potential by switching between diffe
Lyn
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the hell did I just read?

The Drawing of the Three is as far as I can tell, a unique literary experience.

The second book in King’s The Dark Tower series, published 5 years after The Gunslinger, this really begins The Dark Tower series. From my limited experience at having ready two of these, and myself more than two years in between, The Gunslinger seems like a prologue, a table setting. Maybe, just maybe, The Gunslinger is to The Dark Tower series as The Hobbit is to The Lord of the Rings.
megs_bookrack
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Drawing of Three is just as stunning the second time around. Reread heaven!

Earlier:

I know at the beginning of the year I said I wasn't going to reread the same Stephen King books over and over again.

What can I say? I'm a Tower Junkie and I need my fix.

Original:

The Drawing of Three, the second installment of King's epic fantasy, The Dark Tower series, blew me away.

From start to finish, I was drawn into these characters and felt their 'worlds' falling into place around me.

We meet Eddie and S
Delee
When a very close friend lists a book as an ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!...the pressure to love it, and give it a review deserving of its fabulous-ness, is immense...when that very close friend is the gloooooorious Stepheny- the pressure is OFF THE CHARTS!!!! Anyone familiar with her- will know EXACTLY what I mean. ;)

...So here goes nothing *deep breath*...

photo 52be0ac8-bb79-4287-83a3-30d7dacde162_zpszibrxsca.jpg

THE DRAWING OF THE THREE- the second book in The Dark Tower series- takes place seven hours after we last left Roland Deschain in The Gunslinger. The
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the dry Book One which was following one man in an endless desert;

Here are Three doing so..The More the Merrier indeed.
The Drawing of Three
Oh and it's endless beach this time..with monstrous crabs.. so much fun, trust me :)

لا أنكر أن الفيلم هو سببا رئيسيا لمتابعتي للسلسلة رغم انه كان مبسطا جدا ودون مستوي عمق روايات ستيفين كينج عاما
لكن الفيلم وضح قليلا من فكرة "برج الظلام" المبني عليها أحداث الرواية ، ويعدك بأن السلسلة بها ثغرات تؤدي لعوالم موازية، ازمنة مختلفة، وحوش متنكرة بيننا ، وش
Kemper
Mid-World General Emergency Room - 9:19 PM

“Step in here, please. What’s your name?”

“Roland Deschain.”

“And do you have any allergies, Mr. Deschain?”

“No.”

“And when…..wait a second. Roland Deschain? The last gunslinger? The guy who is on a quest to find the Dark Tower?”

“That’s me.”

“Wow. This is an honor. I mean, I see a lot of scum and mutants come through here. Especially since the world has moved on and all that, but to get Roland the gunslinger in here as a patient? That’s just crazy! I can’t wa
Jeff
Available: Amazing Beach Front Property!!!

Plots available for building your dream home in a lush vacation paradise.

Only 666 lots left! Little to no money down! Hurry! Act Now!!

Great ocean view!! Mountains only an hour's drive away!

Unlimited parking!

You’re a doorway away from such exotic NYC entertainment as: Naked gunfights, wheelchair obstacle course, police car races, Whack-a-gangster, Bop-a-cop, and the locally famous flaming-creep subway run.

For the sportsman: minutes from an unl
Stephen
Johann (jobis89)
"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."

The Last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain, faces three mysterious doors which will lead him to different times within our world. From these, he must draw the three who will accompany him on his journey.

So it turns out that my memory of the Dark Tower series is pretty patchy - I have forgotten so many details!! However, I could never forget THAT opening sc
Markus
Without thought, with the simple resolve that had made him the last of them all, the last to continue marching on and on long after Cuthbert and the others had died or given up, committed suicide or treachery or simply recanted the whole idea of the Tower; with the single-minded and incurious resolve that had driven him across the desert and all the years before the desert in the wake of the man in black, the gunslinger stepped through the doorway.

The journey to the Dark Tower continues, and
Trish
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OK, the resolution to #3 (and thus #2) was really cool!

This is the second installment of the Dark Tower series and we once again follow a very strange hero. After not being talked to death by Walter at the end of the last book, Roland is trying to find out what the three cards drawn from the Tarot meant. Though why he believes in a Tarot laid out by Walter of all people, I don't really know.
In any case, Roland finds a door, opens it - and finds himself in the body of another per
Dan Schwent
Roland Deschain, fresh from the events of the Gunslinger, lies exhausted and poisoned on the shores of the ocean. In his delirium, he finds three doorways leading to our world and his new ka-tet. Will Roland survive long enough to bring his new ka-tet?

This is when the Dark Tower really started coming together. The first thing that happens really shocked the crap out of me. Damn lobstrosities! I had no idea what Roland was going to go through when I first opened this one.

The new characters are in
Adina
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What have I just read? Is this written by the same author that put The Gunslinger on paper? It does not seem so at all. If the name of the main characters hadn’t been Roland, I wouldn’t have known that the two books are from the same series. That’s how different thee 2 books are in writing style. Notwithstanding, I’ve enjoyed both of them just as much.

The Drawing of the Three starts where the previous instalment left us, on the beach. The beginning is abrupt and unexpected with Roland having a
seak
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king, 2011
"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger looked serenely at Eddie. "Quite a lot of it, I think."

And so begins the coolest, most intense gun fight I've ever read.

Ever since I put down The Stand 300 pages in, I thought I'd never read another Stephen King novel. You could say I was even proud of the fact. Everyone seems to love King and I'm the only one who doesn't. I'm unique... I also don't like Katy Perry.

Well, then he had to go and write The Dark Tower series. The pre
Apatt
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dad-a-cham? Ded-a-check?”

This bit of nonsense is likely to send shivers down the spine of Dark Tower fans, it is one of the most memorable scenes in the entire series which spans seven books (originally). The bizarre “questions” are constantly asked by the “lobstrosity” creatures even while they are munching on people.

The above picture—lifted from the graphic novel edition—is not quite to scale as the lobstrosity is described in The Drawing of the Three as “four feet lo
Stepheny
I’ve read the Dark Tower Series several times over the years. It is a series I hold very close to my heart, one that draws me in and whispers in my ear; begs to be read again.

So, when Calamity Bev, Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff and Straight Shootin' Susan asked me to join them along the Path of the Beam on a most noble quest to the Dark Tower I said yes without a moment’s hesitation.

The Drawing of the Three is a book that on its own is in my list of top 10 books ever w
Kyle
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish

Just not my kind of book or series I guess.

I found some parts interesting but having to dig through the paragraph-long sentences that seemed to jump randomly from subject to subject just lost me.

Some people really enjoyed this book. I've had many people recommend it. I passed the 50% mark today, which is my rule before giving up on a book, and decided I simply was NOT enjoying it at all and saw no point in continuing.

I'm really disappointed because I had heard so many good things about this s

Will M.
Roland continues with his quest for The Dark Tower. While he was alone at first, he decides to have some company. He decides to have a drawing of the three. Three more people to be involved in his obsessive quest for the tower. Will he compromise the lives of the chosen ones, or will he make them better? The amazing quest continues in this second installment of the series.

Once again King introduced amazing characters. Right from the start I knew I was going to like Eddie Dean. He was this drug d
Justin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King gets back to his old self and Stephen Kings all over the second book of the Dark Tower series. This one is written more in the King style we have all come to know and love. It’s much more what you would expect from picking up a King novel, but it still has that western fantasy vibe pulsing throughout its pages.

And, again, the book is pretty good. I’ve read half of the series before, I know the next two books are really good, especially Wizard and Glass. I keep saying that. I’ll pro
Amanda
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Everyone at Shelf Inflicted!
Shelves: blog
"What the hell was that?!!?" basically sums up my response to The Drawing of the Three. And I mean that in the best possible way.

As I opined in my review of The Gunslinger, I have avoided The Dark Tower for so long because it's a series and usually series books serve up a formulaic reheating of what happened in previous books. I usually enjoy the first book, like the second book, and begin to get that deja vu feeling that I've read all of this before somewhere around book three. Not so with thi
Luffy
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: let-down, fantasy
Having read this book, I'm scrambling to try to compare the first two ones, and to understand why I rated this book a three, while at the same time I enjoyed reading it on a basic level. The twists in this book are no better than those in The Gunslinger.

However the world they are set in make the difference. The Gunslinger made the cut as the better of the two because its characters, I realize, are given more time to shape. Here the people in our world are not the equal of the man in the desert,
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 2.5*
Book 2: 2.5*

The dichotomy that is this series. On the one hand I want to know how it turns out. On the other I don't think I can do another book with senseless rants, non stop nostalgic pop culture references, stereotypes ad nauseam and a storyline that meanders aimlessly.

The characters are all tough to like. Not because they have flaws but because they all have non sequitur inane ramblings that drive the reader to the brink of the craziness which drives the characters.

I simply can
R.K. Gold
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just terrific! So many perfect characters to pick from in this and the back and forth from detta to Odetta just made the experience in between worlds that much more colorful. The adventures Roland has on Earth are just, well, unreal. It was sometimes hilarious, other times straight out of a superhero movie. Reading this series has been long overdue and I'm so happy to finally have the opportunity to give it the time it deserves.
On to book 3!
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book several times and I have to admit that I was at first rather blown away (read in '88) and somewhat disgruntled at the same time.

I mean, what is this? Is it a fantasy with rather odd actual doors on a beach, or is it a time-travel SF with alternate realities (and more), or is it a commentary on different New York Cities across a span of 30 years to the eighties?

Sheesh. It sounds like a real mess, right?

But in reality, with the hindsight that comes with having read the whole s
Emma
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gunslinger awesomeness!! The Gunslinger blew me out of the water and this one was if possible even better! Stephen King is so good at people..I know he goes on a bit at times, but I have to tell you this book was just amazing! I used whispersync and the audio version on this was absolutely superb. Who would have thought a 'lobstrosity' could be so horrifying? Dud-a-chum? ‘Dod-a-chock? Brilliant!
If you haven't picked up The Dark Tower yet, you really need to give it a chance. Genius!
Ron
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, series, fantasy, own
“Dad-a-chuck? Dad-a-chum?”

Those words - those crazily addictive questioning words asked by the Lobstrocities after they come rolling out of the night-time surf - they have always stood out in my mind's memory (side note: all week I've been saying them around the house ”Ded-a-check?”). It's one of the things I have never forgotten from my first reading of this second book on the road to the dark tower. How could I, when our hero is maimed so early into these pages. I remember back when, sitti
Lazaros
I knew ever since reading the first book that this series would only get better in time. To be honest, I expected it to become really good after the 3rd or 4th book but this one really is the turn. The first one is only a small tease of what this series is and can be.

Being a big Stephen King fan, I find his mind exceedingly sharp, and his thoughts utterly cohesive, building and building and then breaking everything apart. He's extremely talented and it shows in his work.

While in the first book
Karl Marberger
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy
A great continuation from The Gunslinger. Serves up some good suspense while laying the foundation for the rest of series.

• The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • Rage
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • NOS4A2
  • Blaze
  • The Body
  • The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King - Summary & Study Guide
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)