Start by marking “We the Kids” as Want to Read:
We the Kids

We the Kids

The Barnes & Noble Review
Remember sitting in elementary school trying to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution? Remember how baffling it was? The words were big, they didn't make a lot of sense, and how they applied to your life wasn't too clear. Lucky for us, award-winning book illustrator and political cartoonist David Catrow has taken the most important introduction
Published April 15th 2002 by Dial (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about We the Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We the Kids

Start your review of We the Kids
Shiloah
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A short book of the preamble to the Constitution. Good review. Cartoonish pictures. Great one-timer for us.
Jamie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Going through some kids books and had no idea David Catrow did this one. Love his work!!!
Jana
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this with my fifth grade students as an introduction to the Constitution. The illustrations are adorable and the students were engaged in the discussion of what each part of the preamble means.
Jeanie {coffeegirl.blog}
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This weekend, I prepared for my first lesson to deliver to my U.S. History Teacher Methods class (HIST 4418). I am given the topic of Equality and I am to use the primary source, the U.S. Constitution. The lesson is only ten minutes, so at first I found it quite difficult to put something extravagant together. But then, I remembered all the picture books I read over the summer and how much I was able to pull from them in a short amount of time. I began some research and found, We the Kids by Dav ...more
Shelby
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
"We The Kids," by David Catrow is an informational picture book about the preamble of constitution. This book is told by a former student who is now an adult. He discusses the first time the constitution was introduced to him in fifth-grade and how boring it was to hear about all of the rules told in the more historic-english. He shares with the reader a broken down, more understandable version of the rules within the pages. There are also sections of the book in which the author shares vocabula ...more
Leighanna Wright
Summary: We the Kids portrays a story of children who want to make a difference in their community. The children replicate the different sections of the Preamble. With each new page comes a new picture of how the children are writing out their own preamble to the Constitution.

Evaluation: Based on the illustrations used in this book, the author is very enthusiastic about the preamble and constitution. The illustrations in We the Kids helps extend the information so students can better understand
Hayden Delgado
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
We The Kids is a book that states the preamble to the constitution of the United States of America. It tells the story of three kids and their dog on a camping trip, wanting to make a difference in their community. Each page of the book contains a new picture as to how the children are writing out their own preamble. For example, they find themselves forming a more perfect union by finding their camping site. This book could be very beneficial for older elementary students are are starting to le ...more
Emily Siniard
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All readers!
In this book, it is the preamble of the United States Constitution. The illustrations on each page, and the forward helps to explain what this means to children or even all readers.

I rated this book 5 stars because I thought this was a great idea for a book in the first place! Imagine students having to learn this without knowing what it means. In the forward, the author explains what it means to him and also breaks down each verse/phrase of the preamble in kid friendly terms. Then he gives the
Mason Crayne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
We the Kids by David Catrow is a book that shows The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States. In the 5th grade I had to memorize this which I used a catchy tune/song to help me so I think this book also would have helped me as well. On the first page, it have the Preamble broken down line by line but then explained what each line means so it makes sense when you say it all together which I think helps majorly just alone. When you turn the page, it starts the Preamble by saying "we the ...more
Caitlin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book literally just states the Preamble of the Constitution. It does not add anything except illustrations. The illustrations are kids living out what is being said. You see them creating fair rules, setting up a place to live, and defending that place.
I love this book due to that it does not add anything with words but gives kids a new perspective of what it means in their lives. The illustrations are amazing and hilarious.
I would use this in a government class. This is a great way to in
Corri Moran
The preamble to the constitution is explained for kids (and adults!) in this thought-provoking book. Children can learn how the constitution plays a role in out lives today and our futures. This book will inspire discussion and supplement lessons on the Constitution and the rights of citizens.

I think this is a great way to help kids understand history, especially such a vital part of ours. I love that the book includes both what is written and what it means, along with a glossary. This is a gre
Montana
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom, own
I just used this book to teach my 5th graders the preamble... alongside the Schoolhouse Rock song! They loved using both and analyzing the meaning of those “big” words. They enjoyed it so much that they began singing the song to and from recess. I guess that’s one at to make sure your lesson sticks! I love that this book gives a break down of the meanings of the phrases at the beginning of the book. It really seemed to make a difference for my kiddos.
Sharon
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
D. Catrow takes a look at the preamble to the U.S. Constitution and breaks it down, illustrates it, and presents it in such a way that kids of all ages can understand and appreciate the simple, yet mighty words of our country's founding fathers and their representative principles. This one's in the LFL care of Eliot and Olive.
Elizabeth Kennedy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
One out of twenty five books my daughter and I ordered at her most recent school book sale event. An excellent book that breaks down big concepts into bite-sized pieces that kids of all ages can appreciate and understand.
Makaila Gilbert
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
David Catrow made the preamble of the Constitution of the United States into a picture book. On each page you find the next phrase in the preamble with illustrations that allow children to put meaning to all of those big words!
Mary Peble
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My toddler loves this book; consequently I've read it so many times that I will never, ever forget the preamble to the Constitution. This book is a lighthearted way for anyone to learn the preamble. The pictures are comical and yet relate well to the words.
Katie Wilkerson
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Great book to read to 2nd graders on constitution day. It is about the preamble to the constitution. It has adorable, vibrant illustrations, information for the instructor at the front, and very few words throughout the story.
Kylee
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great social studies use. States the Preamble to the Constitution but tells a side story illustrating big ideas using clever illustrations. Also provides great definitions of big words and ideas using simple language for children.
Caitlyn Booth
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational-4
We the Kids by David Catrow is an informative children's book that will help young children to understand and remember the preamble to our Constitution of the United States. The illustrations are excellent, it is straight to the point, and is very enjoyable to read.
Marisa Lightfoot
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational-4
We the kids is a book that makes learning about the preamble to our Constitution easier to understand and fun for the students. The illustrations are excellent, it is straight forward, and very enjoyable to read.
Jackson Matthews
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some adults could take a little reading of this, too!
Sara Cook
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun introduction to the preamble of The US Constitution.
Shari
Short book with silly illustrations that explains the big words in the preamble of the constitution.
Allie Gregoire
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
elementary school book about constitution
Amy Balaich
The words of the preamble are accompanied by bright child-friendly illustrations.
Ashley Zink
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would be a great book to introduce the preamble to students in a fun and comprehensive way. 3rd-5th
Kourtney
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chappyfamily
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is how my children memorized the preamble. Love this book.
Sherry Scheline
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Great little introduction to the constitution. I liked the drawings, I just wish there would have been more content.
Brittany
Picture book illustrating the words of the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution. There is a little story playing out in the illustrations, too. It's cute. Right after reading this the kids and I listened to the Schoolhouse Rock and Take Your Hat Off songs that sing the words of the Preamble, and I could picture the illustrations from the book in my mind. It's a helpful tool and still fun to read. My kids (9 and 12) liked looking at the pictures.

Don't skip the introduction!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Dot
  • All Are Welcome
  • Frédéric
  • I Promise
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • The Lost Colony of Roanoke
  • Two White Rabbits
  • The Clown of God
David Catrow's favorite subject in school was math. Why? Well, Mr. Hirsch's class was where Catrow did some of his best drawings! Catrow's zany illustrations have illuminated over 30 books for kids, and his editorial cartoons are syndicated in more than 900 newspapers in the U.S. and Canada. Not bad for someone who started out as a pre-med major at Kent State and later worked as a paramedic for te ...more