Start by marking “Suicide Kings (Wild Cards, #20)” as Want to Read:
Suicide Kings (Wild Cards, #20)

Suicide Kings (Wild Cards #20)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  702 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Now in development for TV: Rights to develop Wild Cards for TV have been acquired by Universal Cable Productions, the team that brought you The Magicians and Mr. Robot, with the co-editor of Wild Cards, Melinda Snodgrass as executive producer.

In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent
Mass Market Paperback, 600 pages
Published December 28th 2010 by Tor Science Fiction 2010-12-28 (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Kings

Michael Cairns
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, urban-fantasy
I love the Wildcards series. It's easy to forget how well they work when you aren't reading them. Then you pick one up after a year of not reading them and rediscover all the characters you'd forgotten.
The world of Wildcards is genius. I can't over emphasise how brilliantly the Wildcards team have created an entire world in which the Wildcards virus fits so well. The political and sociological complexity of these books makes the Marvel and DC universes feel like comics for kids. Don't get me wr
Marcia
Dodelijk Spel is absoluut het beste boek in de Wild Cards reeks. Alle verhaallijnen komen samen wanneer de Azen, mensen met superkrachten als gevolg van een buitenaards virus, de strijd met de Radical aangaan. Een spannend boek vol actie, maar ook met de nodige liefde en emotionele momenten. Ik ben onder de indruk!
Mijn complete recensie lees je op Oog op de Toekomst.
Mark
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Blew through this in about two days. A nice, fast read. Despite the fact that I was disappointed with the previous book in the trilogy, I'm glad I checked this one out because it's back to more of what I remembered enjoying from Inside Straight (and more recently, reading the original Wild Cards). It's not rock-your-world deep, but it's interesting, and there's something inherently fun about action-packed superheroes and it's hard to mess this up. Can't help but read stories like this and wonder ...more
Alytha
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
John
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, dnf
The only reason I bothered finishing the previous WILD CARDS installment was because I hoped the series would get better.
Turns out, I hoped in vain.
I gave up on this book about 150 pages in. I was at a point where I had to tape my eyelids open just to keep myself from drifting off in boredom every five seconds.
I do not care about any of these characters. I am not interested in their stories. I don't like the piecemeal way the book was written. And it annoys me that George R.R. Martin's only cont
Aaron
May 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I have not read a wild card novel in a while.
Alan
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adrenaline junkies and heroes who look good in tights
Recommended to Alan by: Previous work
Robert Crumb once said, in his introduction to a very different book (American Splendor, 1985), that "Comic books are for kids. Adolescent male power fantasies, that's what most comic books contain; escape fantasies for pimply-faced young boys... yep." I don't agree with Crumb—but he has a point. Most stories about superheroes really are easily dismissed—shallow, thoughtless festivals of stretch tights and violence. But there are exceptions.

I've been enjoying the Wild Cards series since the fi
Greyweather
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

Suicide Kings, as the third book of the Committee triad, follows the tradition established by Jokers Wild, the third book of the original Wild Cards triad. While the two preceding books were always composed of alternating chapters penned by the different contributing authors, Suicide Kings is a true mosaic novel in which all of the contributions are edited together into a single continuous story. The chapters are organized into days, starting with the even
Scott Huffman
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent volume

An engrossing tale, with fascinating characters and unexpected twists. The bad guys meet satisfying fates and not all the good guys die. One of the better books in the series.
Marco
Jan 26, 2016 added it
Suicide Kings ist der zwanzigste Band der Wild Cards-Reihe und nach Inside Straight und Busted Flush der Abschluss der Committee-Trilogie. Wie schon in früheren Bänden wird auch hier die Geschichte als "Mosaic Novel" vorgelegt, in der die Autoren die anfangs weitestgehend unabhängig von einander wirkenden Geschichten ihrer Charaktere schreiben, diese dann aber als Kapitel einer größeren Gesamtgeschichte angeordnet werden.
Suicide Kings greift nicht nur Charaktere und Handlungsbögen der vorangegan
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Suicide Kings
By George R.R. Martin

A great piece of editing Magic… Melinda Snodgrass I bow to your ability to seamlessly blend the story. As a Mosaic novel, many who look into the series may wonder that this book has so many authors. It is due to the dedication of the authors, the commitment to the consortium rules and ideals that create a seamless piece. Even knowing the various authors for a while I could not pull out any individual writing style…

Suicide Kings is the final third in the trilo
Jamie Revell
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The conclusion of the "trilogy" of books that began with Inside Straight, this follows the usual format of merging all the remaining plotlines into a single cohesive novel, rather than a set of interlinked short stories. As is also often the case, it's the best of the three.

Here, the focus is on child soldiers in Congo, and on the Committee and its allies uncovering a monstrous crime against humanity in the region. In the grander scheme of things, it's the final showdown with the Radical, which
T.L. Barrett
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the world of Wildcards, an alien virus was released over New York City in 1946. 90% of all those who contracted the virus died in horrible ways. of the survivors, 90% became hideously mutated due to a psychic reaction, their bodies twisted into parodies of the human shape. These were called Jokers. The lucky 1%, became aces, gifted with marvelous powers.

Suicide Kings is the third novel in a trilogy, that mostly details the aces (and some Jokers) who work for the UN sanctioned Committee. This
Shane Harcombe
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book solely due to George RR Martin's name on the cover, being a significant fan of his 'Game of Thrones' series. I kept it due to the blurb sounding like a cross between X-Men and a war story and a curiosity at what a "mosaic novel" might be like. I was fascinated right from page 1.

The story was engaging, the characters interesting despite their unrealistic powers and I thought the transition from one author to another was seamless. I couldn't tell which parts were written by w
Alan
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
What I have always liked about the George R.R. Martin edited Wild Cards series is the same thing critics have lauded him for in his best selling Song of Fire and Ice fantasy novels. Anything can happen to any character, and the characterization is well done. That happens in the concluding volume of this cycle, and I would have given it a higher rating if it wasn't for the fridging of Jerusha and Ellen. The writers do a very good job of developing both characters in this volume, and I think logic ...more
Jp
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recently-read
Rob
...A book written by so many different authors will always pose serious challenges for the editor. Martin has done an admirable job in making all these different authors speak with one voice but Suicide Kings also clearly shows some of the drawbacks of this process. Especially in the early parts of the novel the constant jumps between characters made this book though going. Once the direction of the story became clear, my reading speeded up significantly and I must admit the finale of the book i ...more
Jacqie
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one just fine. I'm amazed by how the editors have managed to put together a pastiche novel that is blended so well- you can't tell which authors have written which section. I'll admit I'm most partial to Noels' bits- he's a fascinating, complex guy.
This book takes place largely in sub-saharan Africa in a fictional tinpot dictatorship called the People's Paradise of Africa. The bad guys seemed bad, but I couldn't truly feel the horror that the writers were trying to convey. Maybe it'
Alex Sarll
The last three novels I've read have all been collaborations, but I'd say this is the one where that's most obvious. Not a bad thing, by any means - but I would have expected to be able to see the seams between Pratchett and Baxter, or Stephenson and Bear, more easily than between different members of the Wild Cards consortium. I think this is the first book I've read in the series where Martin only (co-)edited, rather than contributing directly, and I did wonder whether that would impact on the ...more
John Goode
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To me, reading a Wild Cards is a lot like diving into cold water. You fret about it for a while, wonder of you want to do it or not, say screw it and jump in, and then wonder why you fought it.

These books have become more and more involved over the years. What started as a series of short stories that collected a moment of time, the novels have become one complete story that is written by different authors. What used to be a great series for picking up and reading a story here and there has beco
Shawn Sines
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is fun watching Wild Cards evolve. I've been reading the series since the early 90's and the story has been global before but this outing feels timely as well. It isn't just talking about a fictional Vietnam conflict with super powered people.. this faces the hard tale of the Child Soldiers of the Congo and highlights some of the horrible conditions by which the despots in those areas would realistically leverage something as horrible as the Wild Card virus to build their own power.

Great cont
Nan Silvernail
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
When Africa screams it is with the voices of her children. A girl calls to an ace in her dreams. A missing boy, by his silence draws another to search for him. Terrible things are happening deep in the new People's Paradise of Africa. Even while new life is being made possible for those in love halfway around the globe, young kids in the PPA are being twisted to fuel a consuming hunger for power. Can these atrocities be stopped when a near god-like ace is allowing and driving them to flourish?

S
Norman Cook
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much better than the last book, Busted Flush, possibly because I had a much shorter gap between the two books than with the previous two books. With so many characters running around, some of whom are shapeshifters or who can possess others' identities, it's hard to keep track of them all. I still wish there was a recap or dramatis personae at the beginning.

The other reason this is a better book is because it is the third of the current trilogy, and although there are the requisite loose
Iain
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As usual, a Wild Cards trilogy saves the best for last. This is a truly gripping story that makes you really care for all the protagonists and constantly leaves you guessing as to what will happen to them. My only gripe was what looked like a diversion into an out-of-place Oceans Eleven storyline for one character, but that was soon pulled back almost literally kicking and screaming into the main plot. Some real heart-wrenching moments amid the action as the tale builds to a climax, but satisfyi ...more
Russ
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great ending to a spectacular trilogy. It provides a sense of closure in many aspects but also leaves more than enough plot lines open to continue the series. I had never heard of the Wild Cards world before picking up "Inside Straight," and after reading the three books in this trilogy, I'm of a mind to hunt down all of the old books. This series introduced me to Daniel Abraham, who is reason enough to read it. I recommend this book (and series) highly to fans of science fiction ...more
Peter
This final volume of the Committee Triad was a fun read, and once again the mosaic format worked remarkably well. The various writing styles of the authors meshed well and the editing is superb, yielding a cohesive and gripping story. There is also a good amount of character growth and some of the older characters became a lot more likable by the end of the book. This book almost made it to a 5-star rating for me, so thumbs up for the wild card and please create more of these fun pieces!
Brian Callahan
I liked many of the characters and how their abilities were portrayed. I think some of the language and sexual escapades could be toned down. The crude language seemed often overdone to the point that it became distracting. A gritty story is okay but it does not need to be vulgar. Rustbelt is definitely my favorite character. Perhaps the other characters are written darkly to make Wally seem even more innocent.
Charl
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The powers are getting more and more fantastical, less and less plausible.

For example, how do you grow a full-sized baobob tree in mid-air from a seed? Where does the MASS come from?

But the stories are still gripping. And heart-wrenching. You care about these people, and it hurts when they die. It hurts even more to watch the ones left behind try to cope with it.

STILL an excellent series.
Eric
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read inside straight a while ago (the first in the latest Wild Cards trilogy) and grabbed this from the library for escape reading. Unfortunately, I was a little disoriented as I missed a book between that one and this one, although Kings is written with enough recap that I think I eventually caught up. Most of the action took place in Africa, and the plot was a little heavy handed, although the Radical was an interesting character.
R
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just dig this series, esp. in the new "mosaic novel" series, with multiple authors taking specific characters through their story arcs in an intertwined story. This one takes the tale of the ultra-powerful Radical and reveals more history and the world's reaction to the dangerous ace. The ultra-complex tales of several continue on, with weird imaginings of how superpowers would really work and create benefits and more problems for everyone with them.
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • Devil's Cape
  • Land of the Dead
  • Uneasy Alliances (Thieves' World, #11)
  • Turning Points (Thieves' World, 2nd Series, #2)
  • The Emperor's Gift
  • The Button Man and the Murder Tree
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
  • The Castle Omnibus
  • Twenty-First Century Science Fiction
  • Wild Passions
  • Appalachian Overthrow (Vampire Earth, #10)
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • Flight of the Dying Sun (Eberron: Heirs of Ash, #2)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story (Wearing the Cape #1)
  • Burn Baby Burn: A Supervillain Novel
  • The Great Betrayal
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Wild Cards (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
  • Aces High (Wild Cards, #2)
  • Jokers Wild (Wild Cards, #3)
  • Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Wild Cards, #5)
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #6)
  • Dead Man's Hand (Wild Cards, #7)
  • One-Eyed Jacks (Wild Cards, #8)
  • Jokertown Shuffle (Wild Cards, #9)
  • Double Solitaire (Wild Cards, #10)