Start by marking “Wish Club: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Wish Club: A Novel

Wish Club: A Novel

2.86  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Claudia, Lindsay, Gail, Mara, and Jill are about to find out that the old adage is true—they really should be careful what they wish for. At first their book club was like any other: talking, drinking wine, and maybe even discussing the book they’ve read. But when they read a novel about witchcraft and jokingly try one of the spells . . . it works. Naturally the women are ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wish Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish Club

Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
First, let me say that I was drawn to this book because of the cover. It was so gorgeously colored, and looked so interesting that I bought it immediately (oh, and did I mention that it was cheap as well?). Anyway, it was a bit slow in the beginning, perhaps it's just me, but I found it a bit difficult to keep track of all the different characters.

There are five women, Claudia, Lindsay, Gail, Mara and Jill who are in a book club together. One of the last books they read was about witchcraft, an
Michael
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this while on vacation - a fun, quick read for the summer. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and especially enjoyed the magical twist on book clubs. The story is a modern day fairy tale containing characters with good intentions, just a little mid-life attitude (the grass is always greener), and key life lessons - be careful what you wish for!
Karen
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable. You find a little bit of yourself in the characters - it's easy to relate to their normal life struggles. Of course, they face their issues a little differently than you might expect. This book will make you remember the old saying, "be careful what you wish for." This is the author's first novel. I can't wait for the next one!
Rick
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always wondered what went on at my wife's book club. I knew about the wine. I had no idea about the other stuff. I really enjoyed this first novel from Kim Strickland. The characters are interesting, the setting (sweet home Chicago) is great, and it provides a cautionary tale for us all (I won't spoil it by saying what that is). It was a fun, quick read. Highly recommended.
Shelby Hearn
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Light read about a few lost women who try their hands at witchcraft in an attempt to solve all of their problems. After a few spells go awry they drop the magic and learn that they don't need to say a few rhymes to set their life on track.
Lori
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lori by: Cara - Book Club Choice
Shelves: book-club
It took off very slow, but I got to the middle of the book and it just got crazy! Cute read, fun and it really surprises you once you get past the introductory redundancy.
Carolyn
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women get involved in 'wishcraft' and have unexpected results. Very good read!
marsha
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
A book club learns to make their wishes come true - and then things start to go awry. A fun read.
Kathy
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love it so far... Nice conversational tone!
Cassandra
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
After a very slow start, which tempted me to stop reading, the book picked up with an interesting plot. Well written, with flashes of real insight into the relationships women share, it did become bogged down at certain points which detracted from my overall enjoyment.
Alison
the 2 stars is misleading. i probably would've given 2.5

the story moved along well enough (although I found myself skimming a lot towards the middle) but I found the ending to be 1) way too convenient to be believeable and 2) the very last chapter (updates on girls) was so amazingly predictable. Too bad the author couldn't have written in a few unexpected twists to the girls endings....would've earned another star from me.
Deviki
this book was fun in an slow light reading kind of way....it revolves around middle age women and the author did a great job by not rushing into the supernatural and forgeting the real deals in life .....i like this book although it was a slow read for me ,.......
Edna
Aug 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Highly disappointing. Took me forever to get through and not even worth it. A bunch of women with perfectly good lives mess it all up by making "wishes" (doing witchcraft) and can't understand why it went so badly.
Shannon
Nov 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Poorly written. Lots of different threads of a story that ultimately were not explained at the end. Poorly explained sub-plots. Learned my lesson - when you see a book has a high rating, don't forget to see how many people actually reviewed the book. Ooops.
Rita
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Fast read, many characters a bit too confusing and hard to keep track of who was who. It kept my interest. A bit odd with the "magic" thrown in, I wasn't expecting that. Harry potter of adult chic lit?
Melita
Mar 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the worst book I've read in a long time. Total waste of time and money.
Theresa Roma
Mar 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I bought this book new at Barnes and Noble for $1. How bad could it be? Well, I WANT MY DOLLAR BACK!!!!!!!!! The cover is nice 'tho.
Ellen
Nov 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
(Judy)
Heidi
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not a bad book, interesting topic. I just had trouble with the writing style- seemed very slow moving and rough.
Cynthia
Aug 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wish it was a better book.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read it for my book club-just not my cup of tea plus the characters seemed forced as did the Chicago area references. Very flat.
Karina
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was ok
It fluctuated too much between the five women's point of views so that I didn't really get to know any of them well enough and was therefore confused as to their stories and personas.
Bibliobabe
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book club turns into a "wish" club (it sounds better than witches coven) with far reaching unintended consequences. Not as lighthearted as the description implies. 072607
Sandora
Feb 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wasn't impressed at all. I thought the writing was weak. This book was a waste of time.
Patti
Susana
Sep 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Twixt
  • The Beast in Ms. Rooney's Room (The Kids of the Polk Street School, #1)
  • The Glass Guardian
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Coming Home
  • If I Told You Once
  • Unscripted
  • Leaves of Hope
  • Under the Moon's Shadow (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #2)
  • The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One
  • Donavan's Word Jar
  • Summer of Secrets
  • Seven Days to a Brand New Me
  • Terror on Troll Mountain (Shivers, #8)
  • The Fragrance Of Her Name
  • The Velvet Rope Diaries
  • Thank You Power: Making the Science of Gratitude Work for You
  • Class President (Class Clown, #3)
Kim Strickland lives in Chicago with her husband and three children, two cats and one dog. She'd post her actual year of birth, but then someone might try to steal her identity, which would only be a good thing if it meant she could go on vacation.
More about Kim Strickland...