Start by marking “Fracture (Fracture, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fracture (Fracture, #1)

Fracture

(Fracture #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  12,468 ratings  ·  1,723 reviews
By the time Delaney Maxwell was pulled from a Maine lake's icy waters by her best friend, her heart had stopped beating.

But somehow Delaney survived - despite the brain scans that show irreparable damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be fine, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney now finds herself drawn to the
Hardcover, 1st U.S., 262 pages
Published January 17th 2012 by Walker Childrens (first published January 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fracture, please sign up.
Michelle No. I would not recommend it. Too much talk of death and euthanasia. The language is more mature than I would recommend for a tween.
Michelle No sex but definitely swearing. The F word is used about seven or eight times. To me, blasphemy is also swearing, and that is there, too.

·  12,468 ratings  ·  1,723 reviews

Start your review of Fracture (Fracture, #1)
Kat Kennedy
Oct 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Did you ever watch Christian Slater in Heathers?

Heathers
Other girls my age were watching My Little Pony while I was obsessively borrowing Heathers from the vidoe store (remember those?) I was like six years old and I thought Christian Slater was the shiz. Now it occurs to me, what the fuck were my parents thinking? I feel like this personal tidbit alone explains a lot about me. Where's my therapist's number? I think it's time for another session.

Well, we'll get into why I mentioned Christian Slater, but
Emily May
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc, 2011

3.5

For the first 160 pages (approx) this book was just okay. I liked it, the ideas weren't particularly original but the writing was decent, the characters were not quite as annoying as some I've read recently... things were going well but I wasn't blown away either. It was a spooky, easy to read novel with a relationship that made me smile instead of the usual insta-love, overbearing melodrama I've come to expect.

But I had problems too with these first 160 pages. One character - Tara - is
Jennifer Rinehart
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eleven minutes of fun then deadly jazz hands.

Think about your favorite fictional characters, the ones you truly love, now consider for a moment what you like best about them. If you are like me, your fave characters are the ones that most seem like friends or that if they were real you'd be friends with them. You know stuff about them, the things they don't share with the world plus all the other stuff that makes them who they are; the style of shoe they'd buy at a sale, whether they'd choose
kari
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, 2012
So, I was going to give this one a weak two stars, but then I came to GR and saw that it is the first of a series and that deserves demotion in my book because no way am I ever reading any more about this miserable self-centered mess. No thank you.
I didn't like Delaney and she never gave me any reason to change my mind. This girl isn't merely a drama queen. That would be giving her too much reason for her behavior. She is actually more of a drama empress.
Example: p. 103 "First day of preschool,
Arlene
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Bookers - ARC Tour Flannery
Rating Clarification: 2.5 stars but closer to 3

Lots of spoilers….

The average person can live 3 minutes without oxygen…. but Delaney Maxwell was stuck in a frozen lake for 11 minutes before her best friend Decker pulled her out and saved her life. She should not be alive, but she is however not without consequence. Her brain is significantly damaged, but she’s functioning at a normal rate except for the strange ability to tell when someone is about to die. Miracle or paranormal? Your guess is as
Giselle
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc
Delaney died, for 11 minutes she was under freezing water. Miraculously, she survived but now she can sense when someone is going to die. This concept is definitely intriguing. It was even moreso for me, who hadn't read the blurb in months and had no idea what I was getting into. Going in blind made Delaney's ability as much a mystery to me as it was to her. It was a lot of fun simply going with the flow - not knowing more than the characters for once.

Delaney is a tough character to swallow. She
Christen (GoldiloxReads)
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gasp. I loved this book. Get it, read it, do it now!

Er...okay, let me back it up. Fracture is the story of what a teenage girl faces after surviving a near-death experience that really should have killed her. And, oh yeah, there's some paranormal stuff too.

Delaney Maxwell fell through the ice at a local pond in the middle of winter and it was eleven minutes before she was rescued by her best guy friend Decker. The story begins with Delaney waking up in the hospital and realizing what she has
Ceilidh
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Once your publisher starts promoting your book and mentioning it in the same vein as two of the most well received books in YA in recent years, immediately you have a lot to live up to. While I didn't adore “If I Stay”, I thought it achieved its objective – to present a young woman's life and her existential struggles – with a deft hand, one that is difficult to pull off for even the most talented writer. For Megan Miranda's debut (which is also a standalone, a refreshing occurrence in a field ...more
♥Rachel♥
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded so cool to me, eerie and suspenseful with a bit of romance thrown in. Unfortunately, after finishing this, I ended up being completely frustrated. I'm not saying there wasn't any good to this story, because there was, but to me the frustration overshadowed.

Delaney Maxwell plunges under the ice of a frozen lake and isn't pulled out for eleven minutes. She is pulled out and resuscitated by her best friend, Decker. She ends up in a
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Kimberly Derting's The Body Finder series
Please stop by The Starry-Eyed Revue for an interview with Fracture author Megan Miranda and a GIVEAWAY -- an ARC of Fracture and a bookplate signed by Megan! Giveway ends 2/29!

This story was so unexpected and surprising. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that I almost didn’t even give it a try. I passed it up several times on Netgalley because I was afraid it would be too contemporary for my taste. I’m glad I did eventually read it, though, because it’s now going on my favorites shelf.
Nafiza
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know for certain that there will be lots of mixed reviews about Megan Miranda’s debut novel but for me, it was a strong five star novel and I don’t hand out five stars lightly. The book isn’t perfect but its strengths are such that they overshadow the lesser elements and make the reader, well, me, forget the imperfections exist.

The premise of the novel is intriguing and I felt that the execution stayed true to it. One of the strengths of the novels is its characterizations, the way in which
i.
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
In spite of having read books with similar plots, that is people who come back with special powers, this novel didn't disappoint me . Although there are some parts which are a bit spooky for my taste , I must admit I am easily scared. The love triangle is more interesting than in other YA novels and darker as well. If you don't mind reading a novel in which the characters deal with death on a daily basis, you will certainly enjoy it.

www.theleisurediaries.blogspot.com
Heidi
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Three stars: A near death experience, leaves Delaney with a startling new supernatural ability.

Delaney bounds down the stairs, after wriggling into thermal wear, that has mysteriously shrunk since last year. Her best friend and next door neighbor, Decker is waiting for her. It is December in Maine, and the pair is headed to the ice crusted lake to spend an afternoon engaging in a game of "manhunt" in the snowy woods. Delaney slips into her bright red coat, she is going to stick out like a sore
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
“If you had one day to live, what would you do?”

As soon as I heard about Fracture I knew it was a book I wanted to read. I’ll be honest though, I was a little unsure of it because it says it’s for fans of Gayle Forman’s If I Stay. Now, I didn’t like If I Stay so you can see why I was unsure to start with but let me tell you; Fracture is a heart-stopping, dangerous and thrilling ride and a fantastic debut novel by author Megan Miranda.

The blurb above pretty much tells you everything you need to
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I found the plot confusing and rather boring at times. I got through 2/3 of the book and just skipped to the end, and found no enlightenment in the conclusion. Also, way too many supporting characters. I will not be reading the sequel.
dluvsbooks
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
BEST! BOOK! EVER! I read it in one sitting and nothing or no one could make me tear myself away from it!!! What would I do if it was my last day? Well, read this book of course:).
TheBookSmugglers
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
First Impressions:

Thea: Fracture has one of the most effective excerpts I’ve read in a long time (see the “On The Plot” section for that) – I was hooked by that little snipped and eagerly plunged into the book without really knowing what it would be about. Near death experiences that leave a protagonist inexplicably changed, usually with some sort of preternatural connection to death/the dying/psychic abilities/etc is a fairly common trope in speculative fiction, but I was keen on seeing just
Soumi
When someone died and brought back to life, does they deserve the chance?
Fracture is a story of second chances, life and death, love and friendship. Before reading Fracture I was confused about how this book is going be like, just another realistic fiction including some teen problems. Well guess what, I was proven wrong. This is a realistic fiction though but mingled with some serious topic like euthanasia and with a little touch of suspense. With few turns and curves, the navigation was not
Stacy
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow, this book really took me by surprise and had me flipping pages so fast that even though I was hesitant for how it might end I couldn't help myself - I had to keep reading!! I mean it was awesome and weird and just a little on the creepy side.

Delaney survives an eleven minute drowning. She's a miracle. Her brain scan shows damage but she has no signs of memory loss, cognitive abilities or physical limitations. She is an anomaly. Her battle to adjust to her new life as a “miracle” is heart
aidanadia
Occasionally, I come across a book and realise how difficult the reviewing process is. Fracture by Megan Miranda was one such book. Despite the amount of content and drama, I was left feeling thoroughly ambivalent, as though there was something missing, something fundamentally dissatisfying about this tale. All the aspects of this story attempted to make some remark and strike a chord within the reader, but ultimately fell short.

Fracture tells the story of Delaney, a girl who falls through ice
Lacey
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Thoughts:

Wow, this book was intense; I loved almost everything about it; it was one hell of a ride…I loved it! The cover alone was what caused me to dive into this world and boy once I started I just couldn’t stop. I buckled in and finished it in one sitting.

This book definitely had a lot of great qualities to it, there hasn’t been a book like this for me in a while; the writing was so smooth and fun to read that I didn’t find myself struggling to read through the sentences. The grammar
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
As soon as I heard about this novel, my mind likened the premise of it to Gayle Forman's If I Stay, which I didn't really enjoy, despite loving the whole idea behind it. Thankfully, in Fracture, Megan Miranda didn't let me down with her emotion-packed story.

Fracture tells the story of seventeen year old Delaney after she has an accident at a local lake, where she falls to her death through thin ice and drowns, leaving her dead for eleven minutes, until she is rescued by her best friend and
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Darkfallen
I loved the way this book started out!

Kids being kids! Running on the ice. Falling in. Surviving when you should be dead. Waking up but not fully awake.

I kind of thought this story was going to be told in the form of a coma. Actually, I thought it was going to be similar to Elizabeth Scott's "Between Here and Forever", just told from the patient and not the sister.

But it wasn't like that at all.

Delaney is running with her besty neighbor Decker to play a game of Manhunt in early December. They
Angelc
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-own-read
This book is definitely an interesting and new concept. I hadn't read anything quite like it before. I was really caught up in the beginning and middle of the book, but the end started to let me down just a little. Still, I would recommend it to others just because it's so new and different from most other books.

The most interesting concept of the book, in my opinion, was when Delaney started to realize that the accident on the ice and her coma didn't just affect the rest of her life, it
Giselle
Delaney, a normal teenage overachiever heads out to the pond to play Man Hunt with her friends. Being the clumsy girl that she is she falls and cracks the ice, falling right into the water.

She ends up being in a coma for a week when all of a sudden she wakes up, fully aware and fully functional. No one understands why she lived, but she does and tries to go back to living her normal life.

I like how ambitious Delaney is about school and working hard to achieve a 4.0 GPA. That was very admirable.
K.
Trigger warnings: death, drowning, fire, death of a friend, medical emergency.

This book was, like, 90% love triangle about three very bland characters and 10% actual plot, which ended in a way that provided literally zero answers. I felt like I had no idea who the main character was, outside of that she fell through the ice and then inexplicably developed the power to tell when people were about to die. Which, frankly, is a really shitty power.

Everyone had stupid names - Delaney and Decker?
Ferdy
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
**4.5 stars**

Full review at: A Belle's Tales

“If you had one day left to live, what would you do?”

With this book came some pretty high expectations. Many of my friends had read and generously rated this book, so I am very happy to report that Fracture more than lived up to those expectations, and, at times, exceeded them.

Delaney died. She was dead for eleven minutes. People don’t come back after that much time has passed... but Delaney did. The question is, did she come back different?

This is
Adeeb
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on http://bookville1.blogspot.com/2012/0...

Okay, let me start by saying that the blurb of this book is just the most misleading blurb EVER! Seriously. How I expected this book to be was WAY different than what this book actually was. Some people told me it's paranormal. Others said it's contemporary. I personally think that this book could best be classified as thriller. However, that didn't stop me from finishing this book.

Let's start with the opening sentence. "The
Trisha Wolfe
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while, I love to read a story that really makes me feel. That really makes me think. Fracture explores human fears, emotions, the mind. I can’t quite place the way it made me feel, whether it was lost or hopeful, but it made me feel a range of emotions on a deep level. And I think that’s what you come away with after reading this story. You continue to ponder Delaney’s journey, comparing it to choices and happenings in your own life. It’s beautiful in an unfinished, realistic ...more

• Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Everneath (Everneath, #1)
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • Breaking Beautiful
  • Slide (Slide, #1)
  • Breaking Bailey
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Same Difference
  • That Night
  • Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1)
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • Come and Find Me
  • Erbin der Finsternis (Lovely Curse #1)
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS and THE PERFECT STRANGER. She has also written several books for young adults, including FRACTURE, THE SAFEST LIES, and FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children.

COME FIND ME is her newest young adult book (January, 2019). Her

Fracture (2 books)
  • Vengeance (Fracture, #2)
“I hadn't known that a light could be a feeling and a sound could be a color and a kiss could be both a question and an answer. And that heaven could be the ocean or a person or this moment or something else entirely.” 79 likes
“If you had one day left to live, what would you do?” 73 likes