Start by marking “Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls, #1)

Behind the Gates

(Tomorrow Girls #1)

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she's excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!
Country Manor School isn't all excitement,
Published May 1st 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Gates, please sign up.
Melia Bibliophile No, I read this book when I was 10. It is amazing and has no sexual content.
Misbah Khan In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding…more

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she’s excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!

Country Manor School isn’t all excitement, though. Louisa isn’t sure how she feels about her new roommates: athletic but snobby Rosie and everything’s-a-conspiracy Evelyn. Even Maddie seems different away from home, quiet and worried all the time.

Still, Louisa loves CMS -- the survival skills classes, the fresh air. She doesn’t even miss not having a TV, or the internet, or any contact with home. It’s for their own safety, after all.
(less)

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
The characters were very real to me but there wasn't really a plot through most of the book. It was obvious we are suppose to think the school is evil but it sounds like an amazing place, environmental, focusing on people and personal strength rather than technology. Phys Ed is constructive teaching the kids the kinds of thing they learn at outdoor camp. I also did t get a very good feel for the War and what was really happening in these girls lives before arriving here. But it was a decent read ...more
Meghan
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it
A slightly edited version is also posted on Luxury Reading and a shortened version is posted on my blog, Books and a Cup of Tea.

Louisa lives in a world plagued with war. Nothing is the same, and it seems nothing will ever be the same again.

In order to protect her and her friend Maddie, Louisa's parents send them to a boarding school called Country Manor School, where they have to pretend to be twin sisters. But when they arrive, things just start getting weirder and weirder. First, they have to
Giovanni Gelati
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Middle school book to share with my youngest daughter on occasion is fun and breaks things up a bit. Next week I will be reading a Brett Battles middle school novel, and sometime later I believe the new John Grisham YA novel also. Okay let’s get this rolling along and find out what is between the covers:
“In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I ended up liking this one. It almost could be Young Adult, not because of the subject, just because of the interactions between the girls. I don't know how many books are planned for the series, but if you took the first five books and squished them into one book, it could definitely pass as a young adult book. But because of the length and the lightness, it's more middle grade.

The way that Louisa and her friends interacted was good. At times I had to remind myself that they weren't 16 year old
Michelle
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, debut-authors

I really enjoyed this middle grade dystopian focusing on four young teenage girls at a boarding school. Dystopian is the big thing right now and I'm excited to see it being written for the MG crowd as well. Tomorrow Girls is a fast, fun read that is perfect for the middle grade reader.

Eva Gray introduces the reader to a world that has been destroyed by war - a war that is still going on - and four girls that are sent to a boarding school by their parents. The main characters are Louisa and Maddi
Nancy
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a different take on the usual high school theme. Four girls are sent to school in the future where the United States is at war with the Alliance. For their own safety, they surrender all electronic devices, jewelry, and even their personal identification bracelets. They are then trained in the fine arts of survival in the wild, archery, sharp shooting, canoeing, and occasionally English and other studies.

It's grueling. It's difficult. The roommates don't always like each other and they
Amy Jacobs
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
With all of the hype surrounding dystopia themed books lately, it is no surprise that the younger teen books are jumping in on the trend. In the tween book Behind the Gates by Eva Gray, we get to peek into the future of how schooling for our children could be if wars have destroyed our country.

At first, I couldn't really get into this book. While it had all of the elements that have sucked me into the dystopia world, I couldn't seem to make a connection with the characters. For me, there is a fi
Malavika Malanthara
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, it makes you want to read the next book so bad.
Indi
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
awesome book! it's definitely for middle grades. very good plot twist and plot! very well written!
Lisa Schensted
in a sentence or so: since the war started, things have been very different for everyone. for Louisa and Maddie, they're shipped off to a secluded boarding school that teaches them about responsibility, writing without computers, and survival.

Louisa and Maddie are best friends under the guise of being fraternal twins. in order to ensure they end up at the same school, Maddie's ID bracelet is tampered with and both girls end up at Country Manor School. as if getting up at 5:30 every day isn't bad
Kait
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed and posted on Victor's Village

We usually don't talk about much outside The Hunger Games, but when we were contacted to review a young adult dystopian book that might appeal to Hunger Games fans, we couldn't resist!

The book is Behind The Gates, the first book in Eva Gray's Tomorrow Girls series.

The story is told from the point-of-view of Louisa Ballinger, a 13-year-old girl who is sent to the Country Manor School with her best friend, Maddie. She's not sent there because she's
Kelsey
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2011
This was my first middle grade dystopian and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Eva Gray created a unique and frightening future, where no one is safe. In so many dystopian novels of late, the focus is on older teens and their experiences, but Behind the Gates focuses on four thirteen year olds. This was refreshing and made it all the more interesting. It also made me wonder- would I have been able to do the things they did at that age?

The novel opens when Louisa and her best friend Maddie are leaving to
Yadira
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely one that I enjoyed reading from the beginning to the end. Even though it is fiction there are events that occurred and can happen in real life. These four girls Louisa, Maddie, Rosie, and Evelyn are friends who attended a boarding school. Their initial thought was that it would all be an exciting adventure until they realized the secrets that the school was hiding. The whole idea of the book is based on war and survival skills. It gives a pretty good idea on governmental ...more
Cassidy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This books is about these for girls Louisa, Maddie, Roise, and Evelyn. This book is in Louisa's point of veiw. There are four books in the series and each book is about one of the girls. The theme of this book is these four girls are figuring out why before the war they have to leave and where they are leaving to and then when will they get to come home. They figure out they are on the boarder line of Canada at a camp called Country Manor School(CMS). Then the conflict is the four girls are on t ...more
Selma
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I was looking for an easy read, and this book caught my attention. However I felt like the characters were always complaining, and it got annoying. But I did like the overall plot of the book.

A terrible war has broken out, and Louisa's parents have enough money to send her and her best friend Mattie off to a boarding school, which is supposed to keep them safe.
Once there, all of the girls' electronics are confiscated, for their safety they're told. They meet their room mates
D.M. Dutcher
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, dystopia
It's half a book. Four young girls are bussed off to an exclusive private school in the Minnesota woods, and with the rest of their class, are taught things like wilderness survival and naturecraft. It's set in the backdrop of a mildly dystopian USA at war with a shadowy alliance. Of course, the school has more sinister plans.

Unfortunately, it ends just as a normal book would start. The book sets up the conflict, and not too well. The character's aren't bad, and neither are the details, but the
KWinks
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! Dystopian lit for tweens!! I know many Middle Grade girls who would love this series. It has a little bit of action, a little bit of friend drama, some survival skills, and more. I think this series will be popular.
I also love when characters in books read books. The books mentioned in this book are A Tale of Two Cities and Julie of the Wolves. This opens this book up as a great partner book for a tween book club or classroom read.
From the preview of the next book in the ga
Kathy Martin
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this future the US is at war with the Alliance. The Alliance has almost completely conquered Canada and Louisa's parents send her from Chicago to Country Manor School to assure her safety. But CMS is a little strange. It is isolated and the girls there have no contact with the outside world. They spend a lot of time learning survival skills like canoeing, camping and shooting with a bow and arrow or .22. Louisa likes the school because she excels at these skills. However, at least one of her ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is one of those that you appreciate more as you get toward the end of it. What starts out as a garden variety boarding school conspiracy tale ends up being a lot more once you get through to the end, and it ends up working well enough where I'll be actively seeking out book two.

The best part, for me at least, is that it's (finally) a different take on the whole dystopian rush we've been seeing as of late. Some nice government conspiracy (which doesn't occur enough in kids books) and so
LauraW
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween, young-adult
OK, high quality literature, this is not. But exciting and interesting it is. There is enough foreshadowing to make a forest, but still, somehow, the book grabbed me and kept me interested in reading further. I like the shifting and believable interactions between the characters.

But there is one thing that annoys me - these half-books (or part-books). The ending is such a cliff-hanger that it is hard to think that it really counts as a whole book. I suppose that means that they get to sell more
Angela
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Girls too young for the Hunger Games might give this preteen thriller a try. It didn't really hook me until then end, but I can see it being popular with the 9-11 year-olds who've been forbidden to dive into the brilliant brutality that this books YA counterparts offer.

For adults: 2 stars in the beginning, 3 stars at the end just in time for the next book (simultaneously releasing). Lack of stars more for the writing than the story/plot.
For kids: maybe 3-4 stars?

Yay! for the Chicago and Minneso
Scott Freeman
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
This is a great middle-grade dystopian tale. It seems like this is the first in a four-part series that will come out every two months throughout 2011. I plan on giving it to my 10-year old to read. Perfect for that age group.
Alivia
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was amazing but some parts i didn't like
Leisa
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-books
Great book for my classroom. Great ending! Now, I have to read the next one to find out what happens next!
Ebony
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I actually thought I wasn't going to like it when my friend bought it for me, but boy was I wrong.
Autumn
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Good kids' dystopian lit. It was age appropriate which is rare in MG/YA. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
It was okay. Easy to read. Told a lot instead of showing. Obviously not written for my age group.
Calisa
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-quarter
I really like the book series Tomorrow Girls. The book has a lot of adventure in it, which makes it exciting. All of the characters are really relatable, and makes it easier to understand. The book helps show that we need to learn things to survive. It also shows that it is okay to make new friends, but you should try to keep the old ones in your life too. Most importantly, it shows that it is okay to be a little cautious about something or someone when you don’t know who the person is or what i ...more
Kirsten Little
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I don't think I have read too many dystopian literature books in my past, but this one was a book I would recommend to not only to teachers for their classrooms, but also to anyone who is interested in dystopian literature. It was a great read and I could definitely see it being used in a higher level classroom. I am not 100% that this book would be appropriate for an elementary setting, but I think finding novels like this is important to include at an elementary level. It gives children the id ...more
Amanda Ramirez
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book I have read yet, this semester. I could not put this book down once I started reading it. I would recommend this novel in a classroom that has older children in it, like in a middle school or ninth grade classroom. I'd choose to introduce this book to older students because it is a little bit graphic and there are some concepts an elementary student would not quite understand yet. For example, this book mainly deals with a war and elementary students are not as familiar abou ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Floodland
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • Riot
  • Devastation (Virtual War Chronologs #1-2)
  • Epitaph Road
  • The Limit
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • Neva
  • The Blending Time
  • A Crack in the Sky
  • The Killables (The Killables, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Neptune's Children
  • The Trap (The Magnificent 12, #2)
  • Phase Shift (Chaos Station, #5)
  • The Third
  • Solstice
  • Memory Boy (Memory Boy, #1)
Eva Gray lives in Chicago and enjoys reading, cooking, and camping. Though she doesn't expect to need them in the near future, Eva keeps lots of extra batteries for her flashlight and a stock of canned food in her pantry.

Tomorrow Girls (4 books)
  • Run for Cover (Tomorrow Girls #2)
  • With the Enemy (Tomorrow Girls, #3)
  • Set Me Free (Tomorrow Girls, #4)