Start by marking “The Baby Planner” as Want to Read:
The Baby Planner

The Baby Planner

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
The Nanny Diaries meets The Wedding Planner in this smart, dishy novel from the author of Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives—featuring a woman who runs San Francisco’s premier baby planning company and the mommies-to-be who seek out her services.

Katie Johnson may make her living consulting with new moms on the latest greatest baby gadgets no parent should be without, or

Published April 5th 2011 by Gallery Books (first published March 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Planner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Planner

Andrea
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 rating

At first, I dove into this book. A baby planner job? Maybe I should have gone that route! I sympathized with Katie. I wanted her to get pregnant and have a baby. And from the very first page, I absolutely HATED Alex, Katie's husband. I couldn't see what Katie saw in him at all. How was he her "Mr. Right?" They didn't have anything in common and he was always such a jerk to her. Ugh.

But I loved how the new job grew. And how Katie became so close with the women who were pregnant
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Don't be fooled by the title, this novel is not a fluffy novel, it has depth and some very compelling characters. I was immediately drawn into this story and how all of the characters stories revolved around babies. All the characters journeys were so different, but the story moved along quite nicely. I may not have always agreed with Katie and her methods with her husband, but I understand where the desperate desire to have a family can come from. Josie really captures what is like to be a moth ...more
Cherilyn
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another good one by this author. Read the whole book in one evening. Stayed up til 2am. Can't wait to read more of her books
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/20...

Katie Johnson is 37 years old and is assistant testing director at Safe California, a consumer protection agency. When Safe California is eliminated due to state budget cuts, Katie is suddenly jobless, with no idea what she really wants to do. Her sister Grace is expecting a new baby, and when she asks Katie to help her plan her nursery (Katie has a degree in interior design), Katie ends up with a binder full of ideas
Marie
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was touch and go. It started off slow and frustrating took me nearly 2 months to read past page 12, when I did I devoured it. Through the good and the bad I read.

**spoilers**

Katie Johnson is a 37 year old woman with a ticking clock. All she wants in the world is to have a baby. Her husband, Alex, is already a father of a son, Peter, who lives with his mother in Holland. Peter was taken from Alex when he was just two-years old and he has barely seen him since. Since they have been marri
Katie Kenig
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chicklit, book-club
I've had this book on my shelf for a while, but I was reluctant to read it until now. Now, of course, that I'm "paper pregnant" and far enough along in the adoption process to feel confident, reading about babies, and the struggle to become a mom is easier for me.

Katie has been married for several years to a man who is putting off the decision to become parents. He has his career to focus on, and a child from a previous relationship that he never sees, and she has a career, and the economy is un
Gaby
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Josie Brown's latest novel, The Baby Planner, is set in an idyllic San Fransisco. Katie Johnson is married to Alex, a money manager of a venture capital firm that specializes in tech start-ups. They're both successful in their own right, gorgeous, and passionate. There's only one thing Katie wants to change about her life - to have a child with Alex.

Alex has a son from his earlier marriage and was heartbroken after losing the custody battle. Alex doesn't want his son to feel abandoned and refuse
Eve
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

The Baby Planner by Josie Brown is the first chick lit I’ve read in a long time and I was pleasantly diverted for a couple hours. Katie is married and obsessed with trying to have a baby, more specifically, trying to convince her husband that they’re ready for a baby. Due to budget cuts, Katie’s job at a state department which monitors the safety of baby products is eliminated. However, Katie decides to use her experience and obsession for all things baby to become a baby planner. Yes, it sounds
Karen
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying that I fully expected this to be sort of a combo of The Nanny Diaries and The Wedding Planner. And it was, but that's not a bad thing! I enjoyed both those books and hoped to find the same sort of fun and light reading that I had in both those books. However, Josie Brown's The Baby Planner brought fun and more.

Through Katie and her varied clients, we get to experience the highs and lows of motherhood...with the mommies and wanna-be mommies. Katie's clients cover a great c
Mary (BookHounds)
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Katie Johnson starts a new career as a "baby planner" or momcierge after losing her job as a tester for product safety. Her husband, Alex, has promised her that they would discuss having their own child when he makes partner at his financial firm. Alex is reluctant to have his own children after losing his son in a nasty divorce. He puts Katie off and then tells her he has no intention of ever fathering another child again, so Katie does a few things that she won't be proud of in the morning.

As
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The Baby Planner is a wonderful novel for anyone who enjoys a great pregnancy story, or several. Taking the concept of a wedding planning and twisting it for prenatal crowd works well and leads to funny and emotional scenes.

Katie is a wonderfully full character. Longing for a baby, but married to man who refuses to impregnate her, Katie fills the void by helping other women get ready for their own children. Having no real life experience, beyond being an involved aunt, she starts her business an
Theresa
May 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book...it's been awhile since I have read a book in nearly just one sitting. This one I did...okay it took 3 sittings but only 36 hours or so...lol.

You can tell I like it because I only have nit picky problems with the book:

#1...if you are going to put days/dates in the book make sure they really those days on the calendar in the year you are writing about. (for ex. May 19th will not be a Saturday this year or next)ETA: I have been corrected May 19th will be a on a Sa
Kandee
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book wasn't such a cutesty book I thought it to be. I thought it was going to be a light, fun, adorable read, but it just wasn't that. It had some really dark things about it and a shocking twist, like a mystery novel mixed with a romantic comedy.

It held so many characters who were so, so different and the way they were all compiled together was just perfect. Everyone's journey was different, but it pushed the story in a really good direction. The pacing was a bit slow, but I didn't mind i
Renee
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well I finished late last night and had to sleep on my review. YEAH it was another GREAT book. At the end of it, at least on the Kindle version, it explains that a baby planner is real. Who would have thought? Not me! The business angles and web site set ups were the funniest things in the book. I cant say anything about the plot I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone. I think this is a must for every woman to read whether you have lost a child ( I have so I relate totally) want a child or alread ...more
Susan
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great quick summer read.
Katie Johnson wants a baby desperately but her husband Alex may have other plans. Her attempts to get pregnant without her husband's knowledge are humorous but I'm guessing not unrealistic. When Katie loses her job and her husband keeps dancing around the subject of getting pregnant, Katie does the next best thing--she becomes a baby planner. Just when Katie thinks everything has fallen apart, she learns that a family comes in many different forms and love and
ILoveBooks
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought the plot of this book was unique, the main character was entertaining and inspired empathy in the reader. I hated how the main character so wanted a child, yet was stuck with her husband's refusal. A refusal which later turns out to be ironic. I liked how the author included Seth, a man who lost his wife and now has to raise his daughter alone. I was happy with the ending, I don't like cheaters :) I liked the main character's spunk and her business. I would recommend this book to femal ...more
Jan
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Katie Johnson makes a living consulting with new moms all all things baby. Gadgets to social meet-ups she helps her clients find the best. Her husband, Alex, is determined that they remain childless. He is bitter that his ex wife won't let him see their ten-year-old son. Complicating the matter is her new client, Seth Harris who is a high tech entrepreneur who is raising Sadie after the death of his wife and mother. Katie learns a lot from Seth and Sadie about love, and what truly makes a family ...more
Erin
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was highly entertained. And perhaps it is because my mind is so scattered from having two small children that I can't focus on anything too in depth. I like the show "Pregnant in Heels" for the sheer ridiculousness and this dovetailed nicely with that premise. However, I thought the big climax was a bit too apocalyptic in the life of the main character. It would never ever hit the fan so bad in a single day. A little implausible.
Madison
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Josie Brown visited the bookstore recently and was really fun to meet! I loved her book Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives and this is another good one about a woman whose husband does not want children but she wants kids more than anything. In the meantime she falls into a career as a baby planner helping expecting mothers getting ready for the arrival of their babies. Humor, drama and everything in between.
Chanpreet
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book sure had it's set of twists. They continuously kept me on my feet and edge. I was always wondering what was going to happen next. I wish Katie could have been stronger and smarter. She kept wishing things would change and ignoring all the signs that something was wrong. But the book was highly entertaining and I look forward to reading more by Josie Brown.
Pauline Tilbe
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great surprise! I thought it was going to be predictable but it wasn't. There was a lot of character interaction and even a surprise twist towards the end...not the twist I expected either. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and recommend it. Now I'll look forward to the next Josie Brown novel!
Kate
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-stuff
Got it out of the library to see how crap it was. Pleasantly surprised, and very cleverly got the reader to re-think the merits of this BS profession. Good characters, predictable love story, satisfying ending. I took it with me to the beach and it's absolutely perfect for that.
Joan
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
One thing can lead to another. Opportunities are there to be taken and what you imagined your life to be wont always work out that way. I enjoyed this story it left me feeling lots of emotions for the main character and at times they weren't great emotions.
Megan
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Such a great book, found myself not wanting to put it down. I wasn't me anymore, i became the character. I felt what she felt. her pain, her heartache,her longing and her success. I look forward to seeing what else Josie Brown has written.
Susan Walker
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable book. I loved the character of Katie as she navigates the issues in her life. Her "baby planning" business is fun to read about. The book kept me interested and entertained. A very good read.
Megan
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute. I enjoyed it. Was a little heavy towards end but made for a great read that wasn't just a "silly I know what's going to happen" type book.
Kelly
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shiela Beresford
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I am actually now on the hold list at the public library to get another book written by Josie Brown. I now have a new author to read.
W
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's so easy for a book like this to follow a very typical pattern and be very predictable. I loved it because it wasn't predictable at all. Stayed up till midnight to finish it.
  • Not Ready for Mom Jeans
  • The Atlas of Love
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • The Wedding Writer
  • By Invitation Only
  • Sorry I Pooped in Your Shoe (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Doggie)
  • The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship
  • Click
  • Momfriends (Momfriends #1)
  • Egypt Rising
I'm the author of these novels:

The Housewife Assassin Novel Series, including

The Housewife Assassin's Deadly Dossier (Prequel) [June 2014, Signal Press]

The Housewife Assassin's Handbook (Book 1)
[2011, Signal Press]

The Housewife Assassin's Guide to Gracious Killing (Book 2)
[2012, Signal Press]

The Housewife Assassin's Killer Christmas Tips (Book 3)
[2012, Signal Press]

The Housewife Assassin's Rela
More about Josie Brown...